Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

2008 Presidential Election part XVI

Old 05-07-08, 01:37 PM
Admin-Thanos

2008 Presidential Election part XVI

And begin.

Previous thread HERE
Old 05-07-08, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Jumping off of the comment that Obama has "little chance this November", I wanted to reiterate that if Obama's side hammers home the point that a McCain administration would essentially be a continuation of the Bush administration, he could stand a pretty good chance.
Old 05-07-08, 02:48 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by slop101
Jumping off of the comment that Obama has "little chance this November", I wanted to reiterate that if Obama's side hammers home the point that a McCain administration would essentially be a continuation of the Bush administration, he could stand a pretty good chance.
They will have to tie McCain to Bush somehow to beat him. The Republicans will use their usual character assassination to try to take down Obama. The race is going to be very close I think.
Old 05-07-08, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by VinVega
They will have to tie McCain to Bush somehow to beat him. The Republicans will use their usual character assassination to try to take down Obama. The race is going to be very close I think.
I think you'll see some of this, but it's not going to work very well. Clinton has already tried a lot of the same tactics and look where that's gotten her.
Old 05-07-08, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The only thing McCain has to in order to beat Obama is keep breathing. Of course, it's risky giving odds on that.
Old 05-07-08, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
The only thing McCain has to in order to beat Obama is keep breathing. Of course, it's risky giving odds on that.
So what you're saying is that Obama has this thing tied up.

Have you seen McCain recently? He looks like he aged 5 years in the last 5 months.
Old 05-07-08, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh please, the Republicans could dig Reagan up and still have trouble winning in the Fall. Americans are pissed off right now, and another Republican term is NOT in the cards. National/general election polls mean NOTHING until after the conventions...we'll see where McCain is then.
Old 05-07-08, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The election is six months away. I wonder how many people thought Obama would get the nomination last November?
Old 05-07-08, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus
The election is six months away. I wonder how many people thought Obama would get the nomination last November?
Did anyone catch Russert's comment last night where he dug up an issue of National Journal from last year with the cover store "who can beat Hillary?", and it had pictures of eight other Democrats across the bottom, but Obama wasn't one of them?
Old 05-07-08, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by VinVega
So....the Democrats tying McCain to Bush is just politics, but the Republicans going after Obama on anything is "character assassination"?
Old 05-07-08, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The only thing McCain can do to beat Obama in Nov is to get a real conservative as a running mate.
Old 05-07-08, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Old 05-07-08, 03:48 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MartinBlank
So....the Democrats tying McCain to Bush is just politics, but the Republicans going after Obama on anything is "character assassination"?
That's Part A. Part B is: When republicans bring up the actual votes of a Demcrat candidate, that's playing politics of personal destruction.
Old 05-07-08, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Age is going to be a much bigger factor for McCain than anyone seems to realise. Americans don't want a president old enough to be their grandpa, and if he picks someone like Huckabee or Romeny to be his running mate, it's going to freak a lot of people out.
Old 05-07-08, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The only thing McCain can do to beat Obama in Nov is to get a real conservative as a running mate.
I agree with this. If McCain tries to run a moderate as his VP choice, I don't think he has a chance in hell of winning come November.

I agree with Thor's assessment of the reason people are unhappy is because of the centrist crap we're getting out of Washington. Neither side feels its positions are winning, and thus everyone is unhappy.

I really do think we need someone like Obama, who is likely to run far left to get the country back on track. McCain will be more of the same for sure.
Old 05-07-08, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Did anyone catch Russert's comment last night where he dug up an issue of National Journal from last year with the cover store "who can beat Hillary?", and it had pictures of eight other Democrats across the bottom, but Obama wasn't one of them?
I've always had a weird feeling with Obama. I guess he just has the type of natural charisma that I haven't seen from politicians in a long time. In <s>early 2007</s> late 2006, I turned on the TV on a Sunday morning and saw Obama at the beginning of Meet the Press. I called my girlfriend over and said, "Look, this might be the next president of the United States."

Then again McCain also seemed derailed for most of 2006 and 2007. And here we prove classicman2's punditry:

Red Dog & I have stated time and time again that McCain will not be the nominee of the party...

He's finished - actually he was finished before he ever got started.
And VinVega's:

predicting [McCain] wouldnt get the nom is easy. predicting when he'll drop out is the hard part.
To be fair, this was sort of the conventional wisdom in the media at the time. Quotes are from <a href="http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=506000">this thread</a>.
Old 05-07-08, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
Age is going to be a much bigger factor for McCain than anyone seems to realise. Americans don't want a president old enough to be their grandpa, and if he picks someone like Huckabee or Romeny to be his running mate, it's going to freak a lot of people out.
Why would they freak out?
Old 05-07-08, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mosquitobite
I really do think we need someone like Obama, who is likely to run far left to get the country back on track. McCain will be more of the same for sure.
Running "far left" to appeal to everyone so he can "fix" what's wrong with the country OR that the country can only be fixed if we adopt more "far left" policies?
Old 05-07-08, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Since McCain is pretty old i was curious: When Clinton or Obama win the nomination and go head to head with McCain what would happen if McCain were to have a heart attack or die? Would Obama or Clinton automatically win or would there have to be a new Republican chosen to run against him or her?
Old 05-07-08, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
Americans don't want a president old enough to be their grandpa
Anyone who slept with my grandmother is good enough for me!

Originally Posted by mhg83
Since McCain is pretty old i was curious: When Clinton or Obama win the nomination and go head to head with McCain what would happen if McCain were to have a heart attack or die? Would Obama or Clinton automatically win or would there have to be a new Republican chosen to run against him or her?
I believe the default is the governor of California, and all exemptions are nullified in such an instance.
Old 05-07-08, 04:31 PM

Who is saying this?
Old 05-07-08, 04:32 PM

I'm pretty sure he's gonna pick a Republican, so I guess he has no shot?
Old 05-07-08, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone who slept with my grandmother is good enough for me!
Then why aren't you nicer toward me?
Old 05-07-08, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dork
Then why aren't you nicer toward me?
I hadn't read her diary in a while, my apologies. I love you, dork.
Old 05-07-08, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

To be fair, this was sort of the conventional wisdom in the media at the time. Quotes are from <a href="http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=506000">this thread</a>.
Looking back on the first 15 parts of this fiasco of a thread is always good for a laugh:

Originally Posted by classicman on December 21, 2006
In November, 2008, 2 Southerners - John Edwards & Mike Huckabee will square off against each other to see who will be the next President of the United States.
Originally Posted by Ranger on January 16, 2007
Barack might have a good chance but I don't think he'll get very far.
And this gem from Valentines Day, 2007:

Originally Posted by classicman
Originally Posted by Dalvin
My predictions are for a Barack Obama- John McCain finale. With Obama pulling the upset. I think as highly of Barack Obama as I do of my own family. When Barack speaks I listen.
Piece of advice - don't bet the farm on it.

As a matter of fact - don't bet anything on it.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.