Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Obama vs McCain - if Barack loses BIG, will it start a race war?

Old 04-17-08, 10:30 AM
  #1  
TGM
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
TGM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 15,683
Obama vs McCain - if Barack loses BIG, will it start a race war?

Hypothetically...

More or less, the standard voting populace of the US is roughly 50-50 dem vs republican, with the majority of white voters. Assuming Obama wins the dem ticket, and all the polling and everything leading up to actual election day has Obama winning, or at least a dead heat with McCain then come to find out that come the day after, Obama loses BIG especially with democrats, presumably due to peoples reluctance to vote in an african-american president, do you think that will spur on a race war?

I just think that unfortunately, it is a distinct possibility that when Americans are in the booth, curtain closed, without any cameras in their faces capturing the "politically correct" thing to say, prejudices will beat out loyalty to their party, and Obama might lose in a big way.

thoughts?
TGM is offline  
Old 04-17-08, 10:35 AM
  #2  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,829
If Democrats were secretly racist, and didn't do anything about it until they were in the voting booth, wouldn't this reflect in the primary results?
Groucho is offline  
Old 04-17-08, 10:37 AM
  #3  
Moderator
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Nuova Repubblica di SalÚ
Posts: 32,796
No, but there's no indication that Obama will lose, let alone lose big.
wendersfan is offline  
Old 04-17-08, 10:42 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 24,759
Originally Posted by wendersfan
No, but there's no indication that Obama will lose, let alone lose big.
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...obama-225.html

There are definitely indications that he can lose, and depending on McCains VP choice, these head to head numbers start to get pretty interesting.

But to the OPs point...so if you don't vote for Obama, it's because you are racist? Why not because he's horribly unqualified and has untenable ideas with little rational justification?
DVD Josh is offline  
Old 04-17-08, 10:43 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 25,062
Sure, why not?

I also think there's an equal chance of a molepeople war if McCain loses.
Tracer Bullet is offline  
Old 04-17-08, 10:47 AM
  #6  
Moderator
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Nuova Repubblica di SalÚ
Posts: 32,796
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...obama-225.html

There are definitely indications that he can lose, and depending on McCains VP choice, these head to head numbers start to get pretty interesting.
There are indications that Obama could lose, but I've yet to see any indication that he will. Every public choice model I've seen, Fair's, Abramowitz's, Lewis-Beck's, and Hibbs', predicts a Democratic victory in November.
wendersfan is offline  
Old 04-17-08, 10:50 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
PacMan2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,491
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...obama-225.html

There are definitely indications that he can lose, and depending on McCains VP choice, these head to head numbers start to get pretty interesting.

But to the OPs point...so if you don't vote for Obama, it's because you are racist? Why not because he's horribly unqualified and has untenable ideas with little rational justification?
That's not what the OP is stating. What he said was that, if polling indicates the night before that Obama will win, and he subsequently loses big the next day, how will people react. That doesn't equate to voters being racist, but one of the many valid arguements could be that people became uncomfortable or uneasy electing a black man as President at the 11th hour.
PacMan2006 is offline  
Old 04-17-08, 10:56 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,201
I actually expect more race problems if Obama wins. Not because white people will be angry he won, but because they will get tired of hearing about racism when they don't feel like they are a part of it.
kvrdave is offline  
Old 04-17-08, 10:59 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Th0r S1mpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 36,443
Originally Posted by wendersfan
There are indications that Obama could lose, but I've yet to see any indication that he will.
My posts aren't a good enough indication for you?
Th0r S1mpson is offline  
Old 04-17-08, 11:05 AM
  #10  
Admin-Thanos
 
VinVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Caught between the moon and NYC
Posts: 31,526
There will be no race war. If Obama loses big, it means he sucked as a candidate. I don't see that happening, although McCain has pulled even with both Dems in the polling. We're a long way off from November though.
VinVega is offline  
Old 04-17-08, 11:06 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 24,759
Originally Posted by PacMan2006
That's not what the OP is stating. What he said was that, if polling indicates the night before that Obama will win, and he subsequently loses big the next day, how will people react. That doesn't equate to voters being racist, but one of the many valid arguments could be that people became uncomfortable or uneasy electing a black man as President at the 11th hour.
Polling indicates alot of things that don't come into fruition on voting day.

I'm also not sure what the difference between being racist and not being comfortable with a black man as president is.
DVD Josh is offline  
Old 04-17-08, 11:09 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,201
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I'm also not sure what the difference between being racist and not being comfortable with a black man as president is.
I can think of many situations where it is different, just as being uncomfortable with a woman as president doesn't necessarily mean you are sexist.
kvrdave is offline  
Old 04-17-08, 11:12 AM
  #13  
Enormous Genitals
 
Bandoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Posts: 33,001
Originally Posted by kvrdave
I can think of many situations where it is different, just as being uncomfortable with a woman as president doesn't necessarily mean you are sexist.

I really don't get that logic. Define "uncomfortable". Don't think they can do the job as well as a white/male? Afraid they'll take try to "get back" at whitey/men?
Bandoman is offline  
Old 04-17-08, 11:14 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,851
Who will fight future race wars when the turbaned Barocky Hussein is eating all the white babies?
The Bus is offline  
Old 04-17-08, 11:15 AM
  #15  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,659
Rumors are McCain like Condoleeza as a VP and that would kill two birds with one stone a black and a female. I can almost guranatee McCain's VP will not be a white male.
Ronnie Dobbs is offline  
Old 04-17-08, 11:21 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 25,062
Originally Posted by kvrdave
I can think of many situations where it is different, just as being uncomfortable with a woman as president doesn't necessarily mean you are sexist.
I think that's pretty much the definition of sexism, actually.
Tracer Bullet is offline  
Old 04-17-08, 11:21 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Ruler
 
General Zod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 21,400
I don't think it will start a big race war. The candidates are different enough on their stances that the decisions voters will be making will likely be on those and not on color - and I think most Americans will realize it. Of course there will be a small population of crybabies that won't like the outcome because "their guy" didn't win .. but that's par for the course.
General Zod is offline  
Old 04-17-08, 11:24 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 24,759
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I think that's pretty much the definition of sexism, actually.
And racism vice-versa. I'm with TB.

If you are uncomfortable with a candidate because of an immutable trait, then you are prejudice, plain and simple.
DVD Josh is offline  
Old 04-17-08, 11:24 AM
  #19  
bhk
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Right of Atilla The Hun
Posts: 19,749
I would amend dave's statement by saying being uncomfortable with this particular woman being president isn't sexism just as being uncomfortable with this particular black person being president isn't racism.
bhk is offline  
Old 04-17-08, 11:27 AM
  #20  
Enormous Genitals
 
Bandoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Posts: 33,001
Originally Posted by bhk
I would amend dave's statement by saying being uncomfortable with this particular woman being president isn't sexism just as being uncomfortable with this particular black person being president isn't racism.
Exactly. I would be very uncomfortable with Hillary in the whitehouse because of her immutable trait of being a liar. I guess that makes me a lie-ist.
Bandoman is offline  
Old 04-17-08, 11:36 AM
  #21  
X
Administrator
 
X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1987
Location: AA-
Posts: 10,732
Yes, it will start a war within the Democrat party as they race to stop Hillary from starting her '12 campaign as soon as Obama loses. Come to think of it, they'll have to stop her from starting that campaign as soon as he wins too.
X is offline  
Old 04-17-08, 11:38 AM
  #22  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
aintnosin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 2,897
There could be backlash if we had a repeat of 2000 (Obama wins pop. vote but McCain the Electoral College), but I think there's a bigger chance of a problem within the Democratic if Clinton gains the nomination via a brokered convention. That might sideline some of the party's most reliable voters in November.
aintnosin is offline  
Old 04-17-08, 11:55 AM
  #23  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Th0r S1mpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 36,443
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
And racism vice-versa. I'm with TB.

If you are uncomfortable with a candidate because of an immutable trait, then you are prejudice, plain and simple.
I disagree. You could also be weighing the effectiveness of the candidate based on the prejudice of others, or feel that the trait has an impact on the job.

Just because I wouldn't send a one legged midget into a combat zone doesn't mean I am prejudiced against one legged midgets. I also would not send a one legged midget into a room full of three legged horses and expect them to fit in. Not that I would dare imply that being black or a woman is anything like being a one legged midget, but you get the point.

Yeah, I'll shut up before I get too deep.

But you could have been a staunch abolitionist and still not wanted a black person as president during slave times because of what the response might have been. Now, we aren't in slave times, but that's not to say race is a non-issue in this world.

And having said all that, I DO think we are completely ready for either a black person or a woman as president. I'm just defending the view that thinking otherwise is not necessarily racist or sexist.

Last edited by Th0r S1mpson; 04-17-08 at 11:59 AM.
Th0r S1mpson is offline  
Old 04-17-08, 12:04 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 24,759
Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
I disagree. You could also be weighing the effectiveness of the candidate based on the prejudice of others, or feel that the trait has an impact on the job.

Just because I wouldn't send a one legged midget into a combat zone doesn't mean I am prejudiced against one legged midgets. I also would not send a one legged midget into a room full of three legged horses and expect them to fit in. Not that I would dare imply that being black or a woman is anything like being a one legged midget, but you get the point.

Yeah, I'll shut up before I get too deep.

But you could have been a staunch abolitionist and still not wanted a black person as president during slave times because of what the response might have been. Now, we aren't in slave times, but that's not to say race is a non-issue in this world.

And having said all that, I DO think we are completely ready for either a black person or a woman as president. I'm just defending the view that thinking otherwise is not necessarily racist or sexist.
Fear of what others may think is simply latent prejudice. It's an easy way out of covering up for your own.

* by you, I am speaking esoterically, not you TS.
DVD Josh is offline  
Old 04-17-08, 12:09 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Th0r S1mpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 36,443
So if a family refuses to allow their black child to go to a KKK rally to sell candy bars, they are displaying unfair latent prejudice towards the child. Right. Got it.

(again, an extreme example but the principle is the same).
Th0r S1mpson is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.