Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Looking for presidential candidate comparison website? [merge]

Old 02-11-08, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Looking for presidential candidate comparison website, does such a thing exist?

I've searched and searched for such a website, and in this day and age of websites that do everything for you, I am shocked that I have not been able to find this:

I want to find a website that essentially takes you through a survey or questionnaire over political views, important issues, etc. Then, at the end, the website shows you which presidential candidate meets most of your conditions, with perhaps a side-by-side comparison of the candidates.

Such a website would need to be independently run, of course. I may get a verbal beating, but I am personally sick and tired of politics, and I can't make it through any speeches or debates, and trying to find independent comparisons on candidates is hard to find. Yet, I'd love to make an informed decision that is based on more than perceived character of the candidates based on the limited knowledge I have. I'd love to just visit a site, answer some questions and provide my personal thoughts, and have it spit out something like:

"Based on your personal input, the candidate that best fits your views is Candidate X, with a 75% match in viewpoints"

...is it a pipedream that a website such as this exists, and I just can't find it?
Old 02-11-08, 10:28 AM

There's actually a ton of these, but the links are buried in the various political threads.

Try this (just one of many): http://www.glassbooth.org/
Old 02-11-08, 10:29 AM

There's about a thousand of them. You might want to look at one of the threads specifically dedicated to the 2008 presidential election. There's about a thousand of them, too.
Old 02-11-08, 10:42 AM
X
Administrator

Be careful about relying too heavily on just the results of these. Their questions are generally not nuanced as much as your opinion would be on the issues.

They do provide a bit of guidance as to candidates whose positions you should look at in more detail to see how they compare with yours.
Old 02-11-08, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by X
They do provide a bit of guidance as to candidates whose positions you should look at in more detail to see how they compare with yours.
And that's all I'm looking for, just some guidance.

Thanks for the Glassbooth.com suggestion, Groucho - that is exactly what I'm looking for.
Old 02-14-08, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

glassbooth.org

glassbooth connects you to the 2008 presidential candidate that represents your beliefs the best

www.glassbooth.org

Take a little survey on what issues are important to you and it gives you the 3 best matching candidate. And a little synopsis on what they have said about particular issues. Not bad for a political newbie like me.
All along Ive been pushing for hillary, but this site says Obama matches my beliefs best. Either candidate would be fine by me.
Old 02-14-08, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Glassbooth picked exactly who I'm voting for.