Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Miss. legislator proposes law to ban fatties from restaurants

Old 02-01-08, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Miss. legislator proposes law to ban fatties from restaurants

...and he's serious about it too.

link

No fat people allowed: Only the slim will be allowed to dine in public!

It has actually happened. Lawmakers have proposed legislation that forbids restaurants and food establishments from serving food to anyone who is obese (as defined by the State). Under this bill, food establishments are to be monitored for compliance under the State Department of Health and violators will have their business permits revoked.

House Bill 282 was introduced in the 2008 Mississippi legislative session on Friday by Representative W.T. Mayhall, Jr., a retired pharmaceutical salesman with DuPont-Merk. Its co-authors are Bobby Shows, a businessman, and John Read, a pharmacist.

The full text reads:

HOUSE BILL NO. 282

An act to prohibit certain food establishments from serving food to any person who is obese, based on criteria prescribed by the state department of health; to direct the department to prepare written materials that describe and explain the criteria for determining whether a person is obese and to provide those materials to the food establishments; to direct the department to monitor the food establishments for compliance with the provisions of this act; and for related purposes. Be it enacted by the legislature of the state of Mississippi:

SECTION 1.

(1) The provisions of this section shall apply to any food establishment that is required to obtain a permit from the State Department of Health under Section 41-3-15(4)(f), that operates primarily in an enclosed facility and that has five (5) or more seats for customers.

(2) Any food establishment to which this section applies shall not be allowed to serve food to any person who is obese, based on criteria prescribed by the State Department of Health after consultation with the Mississippi Council on Obesity Prevention and Management established under Section 41-101-1 or its successor. The State Department of Health shall prepare written materials that describe and explain the criteria for determining whether a person is obese, and shall provide those materials to all food establishments to which this section applies. A food establishment shall be entitled to rely on the criteria for obesity in those written materials when determining whether or not it is allowed to serve food to any person.

(3) The State Department of Health shall monitor the food establishments to which this section applies for compliance with the provisions of this section, and may revoke the permit of any food establishment that repeatedly violates the provisions of this section.

SECTION 2. This act shall take effect and be in force from and after July 1, 2008.

Should this pass, scales will appear at the door of restaurants, people with BMIs of 30 or higher won’t be allowed to be served. And to comply with government regulations, restaurants will have to keep records of patrons' BMIs.

Is this a tongue-in-cheek bill, meant to point out how absurd the war on obesity has become? Or do lawmakers actually believe the myths that gluttony is the cause for obesity and that it is the government’s role to force people to eat and live how it deems best?

I called lead author, Rep. Mayhall, and asked if this was serious legislation or tongue-in-cheek to make a point. He kindly took a moment to answer my question while the legislature was in session. He said that while, regrettably, he doesn’t believe his bill will pass, this is serious. He wrote it, he said, because of the “urgency of the obesity crisis and need for government action.” He hopes it will “call attention to the serious problem of obesity and what it is costing the Medicare system.”

So, yes, this is for real and these elected officials actually believe this stuff.

The time is now for all Americans who value their freedom to eat, look, breathe and live their lives how they choose to unite!

Old 02-01-08, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I guess people will argue it is similar to bars not being allowed to serve drunk patrons
Old 02-01-08, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Venusian
I guess people will argue it is similar to bars not being allowed to serve drunk patrons
Drunk people are a danger to others. Fat people are only a danger to my eyes.
Old 02-01-08, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

and your wallet through insurance rates and taxes for medicare/medicaid
Old 02-01-08, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Since overweight people die sooner isn't that mitigated somewhat? It's those healthy, long-lived people I think need to be stopped. Maybe force them to smoke and eat only big macs and fries?
Old 02-01-08, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yay! More government intervention!! We're all too fuckin' stupid to think for ourselves!!!
Old 02-01-08, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All the standard groceries have no problem serving food full of poisons from food companies. It is such a big problem that entire organic grocery stores have to be built because we can't trust the companies that have been feeding us so long. Of course this is partly the cause for obesity, companies filling foods with poison and brainwashing kids from an early age to take on their junk foods. Most people are ignorant of the necessity of organic clean foods and just head over to Stop & Shop... only now the truth is coming out... responsibility is only part of it when they're brainwashing kids from the beginning to change their thought patterns from the beginning. Luckily we are slightly more awake as a whole and things will get better as companies are put to higher standards.
Old 02-01-08, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"NO Buffet! Buffet Not For You! You Order From Menu!"

Old 02-01-08, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Given that it's Mississippi, this legislation would effectively shut down all eateries statewide.
Old 02-01-08, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Can't he just say he wants to build a superior race and be done with it? Quit pussy footing around, man.
Old 02-01-08, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You may be kidding, but there are people who actually make that argument, and they've had some success in England. Once that door's open, it'll be worse than the Interstate Commerce Clause -- a government could justify any intrusive law if it'll save a couple bucks on insurance.
Old 02-01-08, 04:00 PM

Is Mr. Mayhall a Democrat or a Republican? Until I know that I won't be able to decide whether I think this is stupid or not.
Old 02-01-08, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Fat people are only a danger to my eyes.
The goggles do nothing!
Old 02-01-08, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Is Mr. Mayhall a Democrat or a Republican? Until I know that I won't be able to decide whether I think this is stupid or not.
He appears to be a Republican, but that is insufficient to keep him from being an idiot.
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=7&gl=us
Old 02-01-08, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

What I find funny is I can think of exactly 1 time last year when we were driving in late to work and, because nothing else was on, we listened to Rush Limbaugh. He would not shut up about Mississippi legislators going after cigarettes and promised that they would go after whatever else they considered "unhealthy".

Usually I don't believe "tip of the iceberg" type comments but he sure was right about this.
Old 02-01-08, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A drunk can stop drinking alcohol and not drink another drop for the rest of his life. Fat people have to eat something three times a day.
Old 02-01-08, 05:45 PM
Political Exile

I do wish restaurants would stop serving fat people. That stuff just clogs up my arteries. Next time I go to a restaurant, I want to be seved someone real skinny.
Old 02-01-08, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Originally Posted by OldDude
He appears to be a Republican, but that is insufficient to keep him from being an idiot.
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=7&gl=us
Within the realms of politics I travel I've noticed a trend with quite a few "Republicans". They are what are best described as as evangelicals. They're as bad a liberals...all about a nanny state "knowing best" having to take care of everyone, "we're just saving you from yourself" sort of mentality. Extremely socially conservative (YER GONNA BURRRRRN!!!) while at the same time being fiscally liberal, "but it's for the children!!".

I don't give a fuck if you're a D or an R....stay the fuck out of my business.
Old 02-01-08, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember in the 80's reading something from a Soviet dissident that always stuck with me---he described living in the Soviet Union as being in a perpetual "Totalitarian Kindergarten".
Old 02-01-08, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"Can I help you, sir?"
"I'm David Jones. We have a noon reservation for a party of eight."
"I'm sorry sir. By law, we are not allowed to serve the lady."
"Say what?"
"I'm sorry sir. It's the law. But if you are settled on dining with us today, I could arrange to have her served outside the kitchen door, by the dumpster."
"Could I, ah, expedite her seating?"
"I'm truly sorry, sir. I wish I could do more. But the restaurant inspector has already been to a restaurant around the corner, and he usually does things in threes. If it's of any consolation, both Sammy Davis Jr and Louis Armstrong ate there."
"Really?"
"And Chuck Berry."
"Wow! What do you think, honey?

Last edited by Nick Danger; 02-01-08 at 08:35 PM.
Old 02-01-08, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike
Given that it's Mississippi, this legislation would effectively shut down all eateries statewide.
Actually, it would shut down Mississippi.
Old 02-02-08, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
You may be kidding, but there are people who actually make that argument, and they've had some success in England. Once that door's open, it'll be worse than the Interstate Commerce Clause -- a government could justify any intrusive law if it'll save a couple bucks on insurance.
get rid of govt healthcare and they couldn't use that excuse
Old 02-02-08, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MartinBlank
Within the realms of politics I travel I've noticed a trend with quite a few "Republicans". They are what are best described as as evangelicals. They're as bad a liberals...all about a nanny state "knowing best" having to take care of everyone, "we're just saving you from yourself" sort of mentality. Extremely socially conservative (YER GONNA BURRRRRN!!!) while at the same time being fiscally liberal, "but it's for the children!!".

I don't give a fuck if you're a D or an R....stay the fuck out of my business.
Nah, I don't think it's an evangelical thing. All the smokers have been routed from restaurants, and now the health nazi groups need to foucs on a new enemy: fat people.
Old 02-02-08, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

One of the reasons why healthcare is so expensive, is because medical personnel are trying to fit these big fatasses in their vehicles and hospitals. So, in some respect, I understand what the government is trying do, but failing miserably at the application of it.

If a private business wants to ban fat people from its premises, then I'm all for it.

But if we expect government to hand down a set of rules for establishments to interpret, you're asking for an insane variance of application.

What Mississippi should be doing, is cracking down on the establishments which have abnormal amounts of fat in their cooking.
Old 02-03-08, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ranger
Nah, I don't think it's an evangelical thing. All the smokers have been routed from restaurants, and now the health nazi groups need to foucs on a new enemy: fat people.
Shenanigans...Huckabee brags about Arkansas' cigarette tax.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.