Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Bill Maher Oct. 19 HBO show

Old 10-20-07, 10:56 AM
Banned

Bill Maher Oct. 19 HBO show

Did anyone catch Bill's show?
He had hecklers disrubting the show and at one point Bill went off stage to throw out the hecklers. The hecklers were LEFT-WING liberals who believe President George Bush took down the TWIN TOWERS on 9/11.
Maher who is liberal and hates Bush is no kook and I'm glad the world got to see that not all liberals are kooks and hate America.
Old 10-20-07, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk God

I don't consider Maher a libertarian. He has some libertarian traits.
Old 10-20-07, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bush isn't smart enough to plan and take down the towers.
Old 10-20-07, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I swear, I thought it was all set up so he could do a "Don't tase me, bro," gag. Especially when he got up to go out into the audience.

Garry Kasparov seemed pretty cool. I wish him luck.
Old 10-20-07, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Is that what happened? I caught the last 20 minutes and at the end he apologized for some sort of disruption, but I had no idea what he was talking about.

Bill Maher is a nutcase, but at least he doesn't subscribe to the ridiculous 9/11 conspiracy theories. He even addressed this in the New Rules segment a few weeks ago.
Old 10-20-07, 01:25 PM
Banned

The assholes who interrupted his show only did so for one reason. They knew it was a live show and wanted to cause a disruption so it could be posted on Youtube. It's the same thing with those people who take over the PA's at wal-marts and announce the same things over the intercom and videotape themselves doing so and posting it on the web. Its all about Youtube or promoting your own agenda with this kinda shit nowadays it seems.
I was very happy that the hecklers got very little camera exposure which was obviously what they wanted.
Maher was a true professional and did a great job through the rest of the show even though you could tell he was rather upset as the show went to credits.
Old 10-20-07, 01:51 PM

Bill Maher is the man.
Old 10-20-07, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
The assholes who interrupted his show only did so for one reason. They knew it was a live show and wanted to cause a disruption so it could be posted on Youtube. It's the same thing with those people who take over the PA's at wal-marts and announce the same things over the intercom and videotape themselves doing so and posting it on the web. Its all about Youtube or promoting your own agenda with this kinda shit nowadays it seems.
I was very happy that the hecklers got very little camera exposure which was obviously what they wanted.
Maher was a true professional and did a great job through the rest of the show even though you could tell he was rather upset as the show went to credits.
Yeah he was looking quite upset as the Credits were rolling. I am happy Maher stood up and didn't take the crap from them protesters, I loved seeing him run up there too.
Old 10-20-07, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It was unfortunate because I thought it disrupted the flow of the show. It certainly took Bill off of his rhythm for a while. Kasparov was an impressive guest; he certainly offered a counterpoint to John Edwards who didn't really say much.

It looks like Andrew Sullivan is a guest next week, and he's usually pretty good on the show.
Old 10-20-07, 02:19 PM

Just curious, did the hecklers say they were "LEFT-WING liberals" or is that something you added yourself.
Old 10-20-07, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by sherm42
Just curious, did the hecklers say they were "LEFT-WING liberals" or is that something you added yourself.
While there's no way of knowing from the footage last night, I think it's a safe assumption that the hecklers were left-wing nuts. I've never heard of any ultra right-wingers who believe the Bush Administration blew up the World Trade Center. They may be silly enough to believe Iraq had something to do with it, but not the President.
Old 10-20-07, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wish Maher had been even more forceful against these morans.
Old 10-20-07, 04:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Doughboy
While there's no way of knowing from the footage last night, I think it's a safe assumption that the hecklers were left-wing nuts. I've never heard of any ultra right-wingers who believe the Bush Administration blew up the World Trade Center. They may be silly enough to believe Iraq had something to do with it, but not the President.
Thank you!
These are the same kind of liberal nuts who pressure Democrats not to appear on FoxNews. Talk about liberals and freedom of speech.
But what I hope comes out of this is that Bill O'Reilly talks about this on his show that Bill Maher is not some liberal kook as some right-wing conservative christians believe. Maher may hate Bush but Maher won't go to the extreme of making stuff up on Bush like Dan Rather did.
Old 10-20-07, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Crazy is crazy and it does not subscribe to a political philosophy.
Old 10-20-07, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by clemente
Crazy is crazy and it does not subscribe to a political philosophy.
Yeah, I don't think most truthers are really paying attention enough to fit in with either of the major political parties. A lot of them are Greenies, though.
Old 10-20-07, 04:57 PM

Here it is:
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HFmqZVUG7Mw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HFmqZVUG7Mw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Old 10-20-07, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

While there's no way of knowing from the footage last night, I think it's a safe assumption that the hecklers were left-wing nuts.
You know what they say about making assumptions.
Old 10-20-07, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
I wish Maher had been even more forceful against these morans.
He tried when he told security, 'Don't be so gentle with them. Ass kicking is what's called for.

His shoving the security guy from behind seemed kind of lame to me though.

Last edited by nazz; 10-20-07 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-20-07, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk God

"If this was a microcosm of America, I'd vote for Rudy Giuliani at this point."

Old 10-20-07, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by nazz
His shoving the security guy from behind seemed kind of lame to me though.
He was shoving the heckler, not security.
Old 10-20-07, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Most of the 9/11 truthers are fringe leftists, sort of the liberal equivalent of the "black helicopter" militia nuts during the 90s.
Old 10-20-07, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He even addressed this in the New Rules segment a few weeks ago.
He also kind of shut it down when Mos Def started in on it a few weeks back. At least he was incredibly funny when talking about it...and not just "sad, shake your head with pity funny" like this.
Old 10-20-07, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Most of the 9/11 truthers are fringe leftists, sort of the liberal equivalent of the "black helicopter" militia nuts during the 90s.

Alex Jones anyone.
Old 10-20-07, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As irritated as Bill was with the hecklers, he was most upset with his studio security.

It's a live show and if someone in the audience decides to shout something, it's going to be heard and Bill knows that, but (from Maher's POV) as soon as they start shouting-- they need to be grabbed, gagged, and dragged out of the studio.

Maher was really mad because security wasn't getting the people out of there.

On one of his live HBO specials, a guy shouted something about Jesus from the audience, and the heckler was IMMEDIATELY grabbed by security and pulled out.

If I were him, I would come out before next week's show starts, and tell the audience: "If you start shouting, we're going to taser you. We're going to taser you and drag you out by your feet. This is your warning. Open your mouth and you hit the ground shaking."
Old 10-20-07, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
He was shoving the heckler, not security.
The guy that they drug out of the seat looked like he had a different color shirt than the one he shoved to me.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.