Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: ???
Domestic: I think Bush has helped the US
21.70%
Domestic: I don't think Bush has helped or harmed the US
12.26%
Domestic: I think Bush has harmed the US but the next admin can fix it
32.08%
Domestic: same as above, but it has to be a Dem admin
12.26%
Domestic: Bush has irreparably harmed the US
25.47%
International: I think Bush has helped the US
14.15%
International: I don't think Bush has helped or harmed the US
11.32%
International: I think Bush has harmed the US but the next admin can fix it
29.25%
International: same as above, but it has to be a Dem admin
14.15%
International: Bush has irreparably harmed the US
28.30%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Has Bush irreparably harmed the US?

Old 05-09-07, 09:43 AM

Has Bush irreparably harmed the US?

Listening to some people out there would think it was the end of the world (or atleast the US) and there's no way we are going to recover from the "damage" Bush has done. Either to the economy, or international relations or pick a subject... So a simple question, do you think Bush has taken the US to such a point (either domestically, internationally or both) that it won't come back to it's former status?

Last edited by nemein; 05-09-07 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-09-07, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think it's more likely that the U.S. is on a long slow decline that no one president is going to do much about. We had our century.
Old 05-09-07, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk God

He's certainly damaged our military capability - and not just for the short-term.

This damage is most apparent in the National Guard and Reserve components of our armed forces.

I don't know if our 'status' can ever be restored - unless we can find another Soviet Union boogey-man (is that the way to spell it?).
Old 05-09-07, 09:54 AM

unless we can find another Soviet Union boogey-man
Isn't that what the Islamic terrorist is supposed to be, or are you saying we need another "state" to face off against?
Old 05-09-07, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by classicman2
He's certainly damaged our military capability - and not just for the short-term.

This damage is most apparent in the National Guard and Reserve components of our armed forces.
To be fair I think the damage to the military is thanks to both Bush and Clinton. Clinton did severely cut the size and funding of the military while he was in office so I think both administrations have contributed to our diminished capability. Bush took our already diminished resources and spread it too thin.
Old 05-09-07, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by General Zod
To be fair I think the damage to the military is thanks to both Bush and Clinton. Clinton did severely cut the size and funding of the military while he was in office so I think both administrations have contributed to our diminished capability. Bush took our already diminished resources and spread it too thin.
Uh, you may want to recheck history.

The defense and intelligence cuts during George HW Bush's presidency were recommended by none other than Dick Cheney. Cheney recommended to REAGAN gutting the military. Cheney bragged about his defense cuts when he was SoD:

“Overall, since I've been Secretary, we will have taken the five-year defense program down by well over $300 billion. That's the peace dividend. … And now we're adding to that another $50 billion … of so-called peace dividend.”

“Congress has let me cancel a few programs. But you've squabbled and sometimes bickered and horse-traded and ended up forcing me to spend money on weapons that don't fill a vital need in these times of tight budgets and new requirements. … You've directed me to buy more M-1s, F-14s, and F-16s—all great systems … but we have enough of them.”

“This is just a list of some of the programs that I've recommended termination: the V-22 Osprey, the F-14D, the Army Helicopter Improvement Program, Phoenix missile, F-15E, the Apache helicopter, the M1 tank, et cetera.”

Enough with the lies about Democrat defense cuts.
Old 05-09-07, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk God

How could Clinton severely cut the size and funding of the military when he was in office? You're conveniently leaving out the central role of the Congress.

How many of those 8 years was the Republicans in control of the Congress?

How many defense appropriation bills presented to him by the Republican Congress did Clinton veto?
Old 05-09-07, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by nemein
Isn't that what the Islamic terrorist is supposed to be, or are you saying we need another "state" to face off against?
A state would be much more preferable.

The public understood the threat (or what we were told was the threat) posed by the Soviet Union.
Old 05-09-07, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Irreparably? I dunno. I am, as always, the eternal optimist. I think that any President not named Bush that comes into office in 2009 -- Democrat or Republican -- is going to enjoy an international grace period. That's one advantage of our political system -- every 4-8 years, there's a new face on the government, and mistakes can be rectified. I think there is a diplomatic solution with Iran. I think we can work with our allies to truly make the world safer. I think Iraq can go from being an unmitigated disaster to a mitigated disaster. Oh, call me a dreamer, but I have a lot of faith in our potential.

On the issue of Islamic fundamentalism and terrorism -- wow, I don't know. We're talking generational damage here. Bush took the flames from 9/11 and, instead of putting out the fire, just poured gasoline all over it. He legitimized the ragtag criminals in al Qaeda by making this a "crusade" and a "war on terror". He fueled their propaganda by invading an oil-rich Arab state. He took his eye off the ball in Afghanistan, and refused to fully commit to the task of tracking down Osama bin Ladin. And his campaign of "shock and awe", and his tacit approval of torture at Guantanamo and Abu Graib, has created a new generation of terrorists who have been shown only the cruel savage mocking face of American imperialism.

On top of that, you can throw on the damage caused by our exploding deficit (trillions of dollars of accumulated debt), environmental damage (global warming), the continuing abuse of executive privelege (massive wiretapping and an erosion of civil liberties)...

Yeah, it could all be fixed up, I suppose. After all, it only took him 6 years to get us to this point -- in theory, it could all be undone.
Old 05-09-07, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Domestic: helped.
Old 05-09-07, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by CRM114
Enough with the lies about Democrat defense cuts.
Democrats are weak on defense and everyone knows it, Just look to the electorate, if you don't believe me.
Old 05-09-07, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

when i was in the army back in the 1990's it was the democrats who were for higher funding of the military especially higher salaries for servicemen and women.
Old 05-09-07, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I think it's more likely that the U.S. is on a long slow decline that no one president is going to do much about. We had our century.
how is the US on a decline? Europe, Japan and China had a really bad 20th century and now they are recovering. back in the early 1900's the US was where China is today. with these regions growing it's going to be a smaller spread between where the US is and other parts of the world, but in the end it will probably mean a larger pie for everyone
Old 05-09-07, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by al_bundy
how is the US on a decline? Europe, Japan and China had a really bad 20th century and now they are recovering. back in the early 1900's the US was where China is today. with these regions growing it's going to be a smaller spread between where the US is and other parts of the world, but in the end it will probably mean a larger pie for everyone
I just mean that we're probably not going to be the de facto world leader any longer. We used to be able to project our power. Now we're facing our second defeat. We just can't do this stuff anymore.
Old 05-09-07, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the Patriot Act, tax cuts, and economy are areas he has succeeded. Obviously you don't agree, but its not like that's a suprise.
No, not really. I just think that even if you want to give him credit for the Patriot Act (which I see as doing more harm than good), and tax cuts and the economy (I would say the economy is actually very sluggish considering we're engaged in a protracted war) -- you have to subtract out the whole mess with Katrina, the environmental policies, the deficit, increased partisanship and polarization, the failure of immigration reform, lack of promised funding for education, first responders, border security, etc. I think on the whole -- even if you grant your points about the Patriot Act and the economy -- on the whole, I can't see how we're better off domestically.
Old 05-09-07, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

People have different opinions. Shit happens.
Agreed.
Old 05-09-07, 01:18 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Home: great help.

Internationally: Hurt but the people that have always hated us are now more vocal. Fighting terrorists was absolutely the right thing to do. As was invading Iraq.
Old 05-09-07, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Yes, but that's only because I don't see any savoir coming anytime in the foreseeable future.
Old 05-09-07, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Domestically, he's done well.

Foreign policy? Fairly close to an unmittigated disaster, despite the completely unfair treatment he's received in the press and public.
Old 05-09-07, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is the most ridiculous poll ever. Irreparably? Even if I bought into everything all the anti-Bush, Bush is an evil nazi imperialist capitalist pig crowd believes in he still wouldn't have irreparably harmed the US. Thats just a little stretch.
Old 05-09-07, 02:15 PM

I'm not a psychic, so there's no way I could judge how irreparably or not the president has harmed the US. If I were to grade his performance I'd give him a C- domestically and an F for foreign policy.
Old 05-09-07, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by IMRICKJAMES
This is the most ridiculous poll ever.
Take that grundle

Irreparably? Even if I bought into everything all the anti-Bush, Bush is an evil nazi imperialist capitalist pig crowd believes in he still wouldn't have irreparably harmed the US. Thats just a little stretch.
That's may basic opinion too, but if you listen to some people out there Bush has destroyed the US. That's why I gave the range of options I did in the poll. You have the 2 extremes and 3 positions in between. How would you have worded it?
Old 05-09-07, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I just mean that we're probably not going to be the de facto world leader any longer. We used to be able to project our power. Now we're facing our second defeat. We just can't do this stuff anymore.
I don't know. In WWII, we'd just firebomb cities of civilians and we ultimately nuked a couple. We certainly could still do that and "win" but have we moved beyond that?
Old 05-09-07, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Certainly harmed the US domestically. And by that I mean in terms of his completely failure and lack of will to shut down the border.

Certainly helped us internationally. We haven't had any terrorist attacks on our soil since 9/11. And right now al Qaeda is all bunched up in Iraq, where if we had the guts, we'd eliminate them while they are there.
Old 05-09-07, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Still, it's TOO EARLY to tell if he's helped/harmed the US internationally/domestically.

Ask again in 10-15 years.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.