Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Former Russian President Boris Yeltsin Has Died [merge]

Old 04-23-07, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk God

Former Russian President Boris Yeltsin Has Died

Breaking News: Just reported by the AP.
Old 04-23-07, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

He'd want us to have a toast...get drunk perhaps.
Old 04-23-07, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was expecting a title like "Boris Yeltsin brings Democracy to Russia (Update - DEAD!)"
Old 04-23-07, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Boris Yeltsin is probably best known today for being the somewhat-obscure inspiration for the name of indie band Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin.

(Sample from their record label: Oregon Girl)
Old 04-23-07, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ukywyldcat
He'd want us to have a toast...get drunk perhaps.

hopefully he wasn't an organ donor
Old 04-23-07, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

He was always good for a late night talk show or saturday night live joke. He will be missed.
Old 04-23-07, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Let me guess .... liver failure?
Old 04-23-07, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk God

In Russia, Boris drinks you.
Old 04-23-07, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Clown or not - he did influence history - didn't he?
Old 04-23-07, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Are they going to prop him up next to Lenin?
Old 04-23-07, 02:03 PM
Admin-Thanos

Former Russian leader Boris Yeltsin dead at 76

Yahoo Story
By JIM HEINTZ, Associated Press Writer

MOSCOW - Former President Boris Yeltsin, who hastened the collapse of the Soviet Union by scrambling atop a tank to rally opposition against a hard-line coup and later pushed Russia to embrace democracy and a market economy, died Monday at age 76. Kremlin spokesman Alexander Smirnov confirmed Yeltsin's death, and Russian news agencies cited Sergei Mironov, head of the presidential administration's medical center, as saying the former president died Monday of heart failure at the Central Clinical Hospital.

The first freely elected leader of Russia, Yeltsin was initially admired abroad for his defiance of the monolithic Communist system. But many Russians will remember him mostly for presiding over the steep decline of their nation.

Mikhail Gorbachev, the last Soviet president, summed up the complexity of Yeltsin's legacy in a condolence statement minutes after the death was announced. He referred to Yeltsin as one "on whose shoulders are both great deeds for the country and serious errors," according to the news agency Interfax.

Defense Secretary Robert Gates called Yeltsin "an important figure in Russian history."

"No Americans, at least, will forget seeing him standing on the tank outside the White House (the Russian parliament building) resisting the coup attempt," Gates said while on a visit to Moscow.

Yeltsin was a contradictory figure, rocketing to popularity in the Communist era on pledges to fight corruption but proving unable, or unwilling, to prevent the looting of state industry as it moved into private hands during his nine years in power.

Yeltsin steadfastly defended freedom of the press, but was a master at manipulating the media. His hand-picked successor, Vladimir Putin, has proven far more popular even as he has tightened Kremlin control over both Russia's industry and its press.

Yeltsin amassed as much power as possible in his office then gave it all up in a dramatic New Year's address at the end of 1999.

His greatest moments came in bursts.

After Communist hard-liners tried to overthrow Gorbachev and roll back democratic reforms in August 1991, Yeltsin stood atop a tank to rally resistance to the coup. He spearheaded the peaceful end of the Soviet state on Dec. 25 of that year.

Ill with heart problems, and facing possible defeat by a Communist challenger in his 1996 re-election bid, he marshaled his energy and sprinted through the final weeks of the campaign. The challenge transformed the shaky convalescent into the spry, dancing candidate.

But Yeltsin was an inconsistent reformer who never took much interest in the mundane tasks of day-to-day government and nearly always blamed Russia's myriad problems on subordinates.

Yeltsin damaged his democratic credentials by using force to solve political disputes, though he claimed his actions were necessary to keep the country together.

He sent tanks and troops in October 1993 to flush armed, hard-line supporters out of a hostile Russian parliament after they had sparked violence in the streets of Moscow. And in December 1994, Yeltsin launched a war against separatists in the southern republic of Chechnya.

Tens of thousands of people were killed in the Chechnya conflict, and a defeated and humiliated Russian army withdrew at the end of 1996. The war solved nothing and Russian troops resumed fighting in the breakaway region in fall 1999.

In the final years of his leadership, Yeltsin was dogged by health problems and often seemed out of touch. He retreated regularly to his country residence outside Moscow and stayed away from the Kremlin for days, even weeks at a time. As the country lurched from crisis to crisis, its leader appeared increasingly absent.

The rest of the article is in the link, I think it goes over the word limit on a post though
I dunno. Personally, I think I liked him better than Putin. He was inept in a lot of ways, but he certainly wasn't as confrontational as Putin is. RIP Boris.

Last edited by VinVega; 04-23-07 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-23-07, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by NCMojo
I think Boris Yeltsin is probably best known today for being the somewhat-obscure inspiration for the name of indie band Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin.
I think you'd be wrong.

Making it to 76 is pretty darned good for a guy that was blotto 18 hours of every day.
Old 04-24-07, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by NCMojo

(Sample from their record label: Oregon Girl)
what the fuck are you talking about?
Old 04-24-07, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

RIP. I always had respect for him despite his many faults.
Old 04-24-07, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by brizz
what the fuck are you talking about?
I thought that as well.