Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Candy maker will no longer run "man kiss" spot on TV or Web after gays complain.

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Candy maker will no longer run "man kiss" spot on TV or Web after gays complain.

Old 02-08-07, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ukywyldcat
Once upon a time, everyone had thick skin. The country has gone down the shitter ever since people realized how much they could gain by exploiting their sensitivities.
Yeah everything was better in the good old days when gays were closeted and were bashed indiscriminatly with no fear of recourse.
Old 02-08-07, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cungar
Yeah everything was better in the good old days when gays were closeted and were bashed indiscriminatly with no fear of recourse.
I want to be clear that I meant "little things set people off - this was so big I'm suprised it didn't."

The commercial was offensive in the "Is this an 80's comedy?" sense. I hadn't heard about the website, which sounds much much worse.

Can someone describe what exactly the content was?
Old 02-08-07, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Draven
I had to change a milk carton from skim to whole milk because....actually, I can't remember why I had to do it - some stupid reason I'm sure.
Antiskimitism.
Old 02-08-07, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Drexl
Okay, that makes more sense. Since I'm not gay I can't really say if I would be offended, but it seemed to me that the commercial was actually making fun of straight guys who feel the need to "do something manly" to get over an accidental kiss. The joke was that they couldn't just say "whoops" and let it go. They were so uptight that they had to prove to each other they were "real men."
That's how I took it too. I normally have little tolerance for prejudiced stuff but I thought this commercial was hilarious. I was laughing because most guys are like that with the "acting manly" bullshit.
Old 02-09-07, 02:09 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cungar
How could they be bashed if they were closeted?
Old 02-09-07, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bhk
How could they be bashed if they were closeted?
How could black men be lynched if they didn't rape white women?
Old 02-09-07, 01:03 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Gee, it's easy to see if someone is black. It isn't so easy to discern closeted homosexuals.
Old 02-09-07, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bhk
Gee, it's easy to see if someone is black. It isn't so easy to discern closeted homosexuals.
Perhaps you should read a couple of books on gay history. I'm sure you'll be shocked at the fact that many gay people were attacked in the proximity of gay bars, or the fact that the police used to routinely harrass and beat patrons of gay bars, or blackmail them, or arrest them.
Old 02-10-07, 03:39 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Perhaps you should read a couple of books on gay history. I'm sure you'll be shocked at the fact that many gay people were attacked in the proximity of gay bars, or the fact that the police used to routinely harrass and beat patrons of gay bars, or blackmail them, or arrest them.
If they're really closeted, why would they go to gay bars?
Old 02-10-07, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bhk
If they're really closeted, why would they go to gay bars?
Do you even know what "closeted" means? Most gay people lived double lives and were closeted in everything but their "gay life". Closeted does not mean that these people weren't going to gay bars, or dating, or having relationships, or sex.
Old 02-10-07, 04:50 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Do you even know what "closeted" means? Most gay people lived double lives and were closeted in everything but their "gay life". Closeted does not mean that these people weren't going to gay bars, or dating, or having relationships, or sex.
I was responding to the post quoted below:
Beating up someone wouldn't be "without recourse". That's a little different than the type of bashing that is being talked about in this thread. Just about every group in history has been subject to pointing and laughing in the past. Most of those groups don't go into histrionics because of that. We've become a society of spineless cowards due to political correctness.
Old 02-10-07, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bhk
Beating up someone wouldn't be "without recourse". That's a little different than the type of bashing that is being talked about in this thread. Just about every group in history has been subject to pointing and laughing in the past. Most of those groups don't go into histrionics because of that. We've become a society of spineless cowards due to political correctness.

You're so naive about gay history it's not even funny. What do you think happened to someone in 1950 who beat up a gay person? Not much.
Old 02-10-07, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You're so naive about gay history it's not even funny. What do you think happened to someone in 1950 who beat up a gay person? Not much.
what happened to an irishman who beat up an italian around 1900? why do you think there are so much irish and italian cops and firefighters in NYC?
Old 02-10-07, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ukywyldcat
Once upon a time, everyone had thick skin. The country has gone down the shitter ever since people realized how much they could gain by exploiting their sensitivities.
And it continues...

GM Super Bowl ad featuring 'suicide' draws criticism

Feb. 8, 2007
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

DETROIT -- A Super Bowl ad showing a quality-obsessed General Motors Corp. robot jumping off a bridge in a dream sequence after screwing up on the job is drawing criticism from a suicide prevention group.

But the world's largest automaker is defending the ad and says it has no plans to change the spot, which is making the rounds online and is featured on GM's website after making its broadcast debut during Sunday's big game.

The ad, called "Robot," opens with the machine in question dropping a screw while working on a GM assembly line. It's kicked out of the plant and finds work waving a "Condos for Sale" sign and holding up a speaker at a fast-food joint, all the while appearing saddened by watching shiny, new GM vehicles drive by.

As the Eric Carmen song All By Myself plays in the background, the despondent robot leaps off a bridge into the water below, only to wake up inside the darkened factory -- waking up from its dream.

The New York-based American Foundation for Suicide Prevention says it started getting complaints the day after the ad aired and as of Thursday had fielded more than 250 e-mails or calls. It wants GM to pull the ad from its website, try to get it off video-sharing websites such as YouTube and apologize.

"It was inappropriate to use depression and suicide as a way to sell cars," said Robert Gebbia, the foundation's executive director.

The ad is the latest from the Super Bowl to come under fire. Earlier this week, a commercial for Snickers candy bars was benched after complaints that it was homophobic. And aspiring rapper Kevin Federline apologized after a restaurant trade group said it was insulted by an ad that starred him as a fast-food worker.

GM says the robot ad was designed to show the company's obsession with quality, highlighting its enhanced powertrain warranty of five years or 100,000 miles on all new light-duty vehicles starting with 2007 models.

Mark LaNeve, GM's vice president of sales, service and marketing, said the automaker had no plans to stop airing the ad. It had a relatively small number of runs scheduled after the Super Bowl, and those will continue, he said.

The ad was screened by focus groups for insensitivity, and all found it amusing and effective in conveying the message about GM's quality, LaNeve said.

"It's a dream sequence. It's not a person, and it's a robot that is a fantasy. I mean, that robot doesn't move around. C'mon," LaNeve said.

In a statement, GM said, "Advertising during the Super Bowl brings instant critiques, both positive and negative," GM said in a statement."

The ad has only aired once, but the online buzz has continued. The company didn't have details on how many times the ad had been watched on its website, but on YouTube alone it has drawn more than 350,000 views.

But Lisamarie Miller, 39, of Palatine, Ill., said she'll never buy a GM vehicle after seeing the ad online. The member of a the Chicago-area chapter of AFSP found out about it from the foundation -- and has been sharing her disgust online as well as with friends, family and co-workers.

"I was completely outraged," said Miller, whose 21-year-old brother battled depression before killing himself in 1993. "GM is not being a responsible citizen by airing something that so closely imitates life."
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9984181

Last I heard, GM decided to edit out the suicide portion of the ad. Whouldn't want to offend ANYBODY.
Old 02-10-07, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I agree that life was better back in the day for straight caucasian men. For every other minority, not so much.

I liked "exploiting their sensitivities" I shall try to use that in conversation now.
Old 02-10-07, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by al_bundy
what happened to an irishman who beat up an italian around 1900? why do you think there are so much irish and italian cops and firefighters in NYC?
What does this have to do with anything? If you're trying to suggest I think this attitude was limited to one minority (gays), you're wrong.
Old 02-10-07, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, the white folks hate the black folks,
And the black folks hate the white folks.
To hate all but the right folks
Is an old established rule.

But during National Brotherhood Week, National Brotherhood Week,
Lena Horne and Sheriff Clarke are dancing cheek to cheek.
It's fun to eulogize
The people you despise,
As long as you don't let 'em in your school.

Oh, the poor folks hate the rich folks,
And the rich folks hate the poor folks.
All of my folks hate all of your folks,
It's American as apple pie.

New Yorkers love the Puerto Ricans 'cause it's very chic.
Step up and shake the hand
Of someone you can't stand.
You can tolerate him if you try.

Oh, the Protestants hate the Catholics,
And the Catholics hate the Protestants,
And the Hindus hate the Moslems,
And everybody hates the Jews.

It's National Everyone- smile-at-one-another-hood Week.
Be nice to people who
Are inferior to you.
It's only for a week, so have no fear.
Be grateful that it doesn't last all year!
Old 02-11-07, 11:17 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

That ad actually makes sense if the robot is symbolized by the US auto industry and the shiny new car by Toyota.
Old 02-11-07, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
What does this have to do with anything? If you're trying to suggest I think this attitude was limited to one minority (gays), you're wrong.
Because Irish and italians dont cry about the 1950's today
Old 02-11-07, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
I know it can be tough, but try to follow along with the discussion. Who said anything about "crying" about things that happened 50 years ago? I was just responding to bhk's idiotic comments.
Old 02-11-07, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
I do! I want reparations dammit!
Old 02-11-07, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by crazyronin
I would have immediately gone out and bought a case
...of hot lesbians, right?!!

Me Too!

-p