Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Barry ends bid to override veto

Old 01-18-07, 01:56 PM
Political Exile

No need for me to write a silly heading or do a silly poll - there's no way I could top what's already in the article.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/metro...3744-1465r.htm

By Gary Emerling

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

January 10, 2007

D.C. Council member Marion Barry yesterday withdrew his effort to override a mayoral veto of his bill prohibiting discrimination against residents with criminal records, saying new council members need to study the measure further.

Mr. Barry wants to amend the Human Rights Act of 1977 to "prohibit employment, housing and educational discrimination based upon conviction record."

The council passed the bill Dec. 19 on a 10-2 vote, but former Mayor Anthony A. Williams, a Democrat, vetoed the measure
, saying it could result in increased litigation against employers and compromise public safety.

Mr. Barry, Ward 8 Democrat, called Mr. Williams' reasons for rejecting the bill "idiocy" and defended his proposal.

"How is public safety compromised or jeopardized by this bill?" said Mr. Barry, who noted that 60,000 people in the District have been convicted of crimes. "These persons are already in the community."

Mr. Barry, who served four terms as mayor of the District, was arrested during his third term in 1990 after being videotaped smoking crack. He also was sentenced in March to three years of probation on tax charges, and he pleaded not guilty to a recent charge of driving under the influence. That charge is pending.

Council member Phil Mendelson, at-large Democrat, was one of two council members who opposed Mr. Barry's bill last month. Mr. Barry needed the support of eight of the council members to override the veto. Mr. Mendelson said that the votes for Mr. Barry's measure have "vanished" since the veto, but that he might support a better-written bill.

"Discrimination should never be permitted," Mr. Mendelson said. "But it's reasonable that when a person is perceived as being a threat to a job, you would not hire them."

Mr. Barry said he will reintroduce the bill.
Old 01-18-07, 03:24 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Wonder why he wants that bill to pass?
Old 01-19-07, 05:25 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by bhk
Wonder why he wants that bill to pass?

I don't know. Maybe he wants serial killers to get jobs as teachers?

Well, it's been 24 hours since I started this thread, and only one person responded so far. If I had called this thread, "D.C. city council votes 10-2 to hire serial killers as teachers," instead of using the title of the article, maybe it would have gotten more responses.
Old 01-19-07, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How many serial killers applied for jobs as D.C. public school teachers last year? The year before? Ever?

There are two kinds of ex-cons: those who are trying to turn their lives around and those who aren't. It would be nice if we could find a way not to discriminate against the former group, and to the extent Barry's proposal seeks to do that, I applaud the sentiment.

Unfortunately, the reality may be that it's too difficult to differentiate between the two groups of ex-cons, which may, under some circumstances, justify treating all ex-cons as if they have no interest in becoming productive members of society.
Old 01-19-07, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What I want to know is.....

How many ex-cons were set up by "the bitch." (or any bitch, really) That's the real issue here.
Old 01-19-07, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Since when are serial killers released at all?
Old 01-20-07, 09:58 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
Since when are serial killers released at all?

Andrea Yates killed her 5 kids and she's not in jail.
Old 01-20-07, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by grundle
Andrea Yates killed her 5 kids and she's not in jail.
Andrea Yates isn't a serial killer by most definitions of the term "serial killer." And the only reason she's not in jail is because she is insane -- and she is in a high security mental hospital.