Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: Alcohol sales in grocery stores--yay or nay?
Yay
94.92%
Nay
5.08%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Alcohol sales in grocery stores--yay or nay?

Old 04-28-06, 12:38 PM
Retired

Alcohol sales in grocery stores--yay or nay?

There was a big debate about this here in College Park, MD over the past couple of weeks, and it was just approved a couple days ago that one grocery store could sell beer and wine.

The issue is 100% yay for me. I'm from WV and you can buy beer at pretty much every grocery store, gas station, convenience store etc. there and it causes no problems whatsoever. If anything, the clerks in these stores (especially the grocery stores) were much more thorough about checking ID than the clerks in the liquor stores here in MD.

Not to mention that its nice as hell to be able to buy that wine for dinner or beer for the bbq at the same time and place that you are buying the food.

Seems the issue is they worry about people drinking out side the store, people begging for change outside the store to buy alcohol, and fake ids since it's a college town (they are requiring an id scanner to be used in the store as part of the agreement though).

Anyway, here's an article on the issue.

City Shoppers to sell alcohol
County grants grocery store a liquor license despite objections

By Sam Hedenberg

April 27, 2006

Despite strong protest from city officials and residents, the county’s liquor control board granted a beer and wine license to Shoppers Food Warehouse on Cherry Hill Road, the city’s only supermarket.

After an eight-hour hearing, the Prince George’s County Board of License Commissioners approved a license transfer from the Shoppers in Takoma Park to the College Park store but had several caveats, most of which concerning safety.

Under the license, Shoppers must ensure all cashiers are trained in selling alcoholic beverages, and College Park Director of Public Services Bob Ryan said Shoppers must install ID swipe security instead of a manual age verification check.

“There was a concern that because the area has a higher population of underage people who may have fake IDs, technology had to be installed,” Ryan said.

Additionally, Shoppers representatives must go before the board in June to ensure there is no relationship between the store’s parent company, Supervalu Inc., and a company that provides services for the distributors of Guinness beer and Smirnoff Ice.

Under state law, it is illegal for a wholesaler like Shoppers to be connected or have financial interest in any part of an alcoholic business.

City council members brought the relationship to the attention of Shoppers representatives, but Shoppers attorney Linda Carter told the council there was no illegal relationship “as far as she knew.”

The store would not have to wait until the June hearing to begin selling liquor. Shoppers plans to gate off a small area in the back of the store for alcoholic drinks.

Carter and other Shoppers representatives did not return several messages yesterday.

Ryan said Shoppers representatives pleaded their case to the board Tuesday for about three hours. The representatives made many of the same points to the College Park City Council last Tuesday, though the council unanimously opposed the license’s transfer.

The main argument for the transfer was convenience for Shoppers patrons, so customers could enjoy “one-stop shopping,” Carter previously told the city council.

The transfer occurred despite heavy opposition from residents and city officials, who said the sale of alcohol at the supermarket would “unduly disturb the peace, safety and harmony of the neighborhood,” North College Park Citizens Association President Mark Shroder said in a letter to the county Liquor Control Board.

The NCPCA unanimously voted twice to oppose the transfer and did not reconsider its position even after a presentation by Shoppers that store officials characterized as going “quite well.”

Shroder said he was disappointed the transfer went through, but it “wasn’t the end of the world.”

“There are worse things that could happen,” Shroder said. “But we’re not happy with it.”

WHAT THIS MEANS FOR STUDENTS

A place nearby to buy beer and wine as well as groceries. Shoppers employees would check IDs with a swipe that verifies authenticity, and liquor would be corned off after midnight to comply with state law.

WHAT RESIDENTS SAY

Having College Park’s only supermarket selling liquor poses problems for residents’ safety. It could jeopardize security and peace in the neighborhood and encourage vagrants to beg for money to buy alcohol.

WHAT THE CITY SAYS

State legislation to allow the license transfer was tacked on at the last minute, leaving a bad taste in the city’s mouth. There is also a question of whether Shoppers still has ties to a company that once bottled alcohol, a connection which is illegal in the state.

WHAT SHOPPERS SAYS

The store is a convenient place for “one-stop” shopping, and it is taking all the necessary precautions to comply with state law and minimize the purchase of alcohol by minors.
Old 04-28-06, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hell yes. It was always the case in Maine where grocery stores could sell all manor of beer, wine, and hard liquor. Makes perfect sense to me.

Also, it was never covered, quarantined, or anything after hours. If you showed up at the register with it, it was simply taken away.
Old 04-28-06, 12:41 PM

You can by liquor in groceries in WV, too. In Ohio they only sell diluted liquor (maximum of 40 proof).

Obviously I have no problem with alcohol sales in groceries. I think it's pretty humorous when pharmacies sell it, though.
Old 04-28-06, 12:44 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by wendersfan
You can by liquor in groceries in WV, too.
Yep, but most grocery stores in WV don't carry it. Just don't get the license I guess. At least in the towns I lived in (Buckhannon and Morgantown). Only one store between the two towns carried liquor when I lived there (up to 2002). Still none in Buckhannon, not sure about Mo-town getting any more.

Most of the Rite-Aid drug stores carry hard liquor though.
Old 04-28-06, 12:56 PM

I vote yay. What difference does it make whether you buy it at your grocer or at a liquor store.

Here in Utah, you can get 3.2 or weaker at the grocery store, everything else you have to buy at the state-owned liquor store (which has outrageous prices).
Old 04-28-06, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The problem, as I see it, is lax enforcement of ID checking at Grocery stores, etc. My sister-in-law (at a major gorcery/variety chain) fired two people last week for blatantly violating this. At lease at a liquor store the staff should be better trained to spot fakes, etc.
Old 04-28-06, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Yep, but most grocery stores in WV don't carry it. Just don't get the license I guess. At least in the towns I lived in (Buckhannon and Morgantown). Only one store between the two towns carried liquor when I lived there (up to 2002). Still none in Buckhannon, not sure about Mo-town getting any more.
In Huntington there's at least a couple that do. I imagine it's the same in Charleston, but I haven't been there in a long time.
Old 04-28-06, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Nazgul
The problem, as I see it, is lax enforcement of ID checking at Grocery stores, etc. My sister-in-law (at a major gorcery/variety chain) fired two people last week for blatantly violating this. At lease at a liquor store the staff should be better trained to spot fakes, etc.
Simple answer: do away with the age requirement.
Old 04-28-06, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Nazgul
I'm not sure if this is necessarily true. Is there a study out there that says it's easier for underaged persons to buy booze from a grocery store vs. a liquor store?

In California, I was once turned away from buying beer from a grocery store because I had an out-of-state driver's license. I went to a liquor store across the street and bought it with no hassles. My guess is that it varies from store to store, from chain to chain, and from state to state. Here in Utah, there are fines up the yin-yang for selling to underaged persons. Other states are probably more lax.
Old 04-28-06, 01:41 PM
Retired

Yeah, I have to say in my exerience the Grocery stores are much more strict than the liquor stores.

But I'm sure that varies by area.
Old 04-28-06, 02:12 PM
Political Exile

I vote Yay! But where's the poll option?

Here in Pennsylvania, it's illegal for anyone except the government to sell hard liquor.

Private relgious grocery stores are allowed to sell specific wines, but only if the wine is for religious reasons.

Certain private stores with special licenses are allowed to sell beer, but only in cases of 24. 6 packs are illegal. I guess the government wants people to get really, really, really drunk.
Old 04-28-06, 02:14 PM

All that law will do is make a bigger profit for the grocery store carrying booze. None of the residents will notice a thing. Where I live, you can buy 151 in the conveneince stores, and people's behavior is no different than anywhere else in the country.
Old 04-28-06, 02:59 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

And if you're desperate for alcohol, just go to Walgreens and buy a lot of Nyquil.

In Missouri, grocery stores already sell alcohol.
Old 04-28-06, 02:59 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Holy Jackson
All that law will do is make a bigger profit for the grocery store carrying booze. None of the residents will notice a thing. Where I live, you can buy 151 in the conveneince stores, and people's behavior is no different than anywhere else in the country.
Exactly. People aren't going to start drinking more. It's just a nice convenience feature to not to have to hunt down a liquor store and make an extra stop.

Prices may be better as well. Beer was usually a $1 or 2 cheaper in the grocery stores (especially Super Wal-mart) than in the Liquor/tobacco stores in WV.
Old 04-28-06, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's really funny for Maryland to have this debate, as Baltimore city has two liquor stores on every corner. I remember going into Rite-Aid on Greenmount Ave. (now closed) and being stunned that they sold liquor as well, but were sold out of Advil.
Old 04-28-06, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In my experience, grocery stores are much more diligent about carding than liquor stores.
Old 04-28-06, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why not?!

I guess this is the one issue where California is not so wacked out compared to other areas of the country! I can go into any grocery store and pick up beer, wine, or hard alcohol.

And yes, they do card more than liquor stores. I'm 39 and get carded every other time I get a bottle of vodka at Ralphs.
Old 04-28-06, 03:30 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by wewantflair
It's really funny for Maryland to have this debate, as Baltimore city has two liquor stores on every corner.
To be fair, it's a county issue. In western maryland they sell beer in gas stations etc. I usually stop and pick up a case of Yeungling for my Dad when I go home, as they don't sell it in WV for somereason.
Old 04-28-06, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I grew up in Montgomery County, Maryland, where the rules were:

1) Grocery stores could not sell liquor
2) Privately owned liquor stores could sell beer and wine
3) Only county owned stores could sell hard liquor.

Now I live in Chicago, where you can buy anything you want in any grocery store or drug store (although they do stop selling after midnight, or some such time).

I say let the grocery stores sell liquor, as long as they get penalized for selling to underage customers.
Old 04-28-06, 03:45 PM
Admin-Thanos

Josh, do you want to make this a poll?
Old 04-28-06, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i've always thought it was bizarre that some states still had state controlled stores for liquor. when i lived in Raleigh, a sizeable city, there were THREE places to buy liquor....with lame hours.

South Carolina's e "no-free-pour" liquor rules were ven more bizarre....if you ordered a beam and coke, you got a can of coke and an airplane bottle. of course, there's more liquor in the little bottle than a measured shot, so you get drunker faster
Old 04-28-06, 03:48 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by brizz
i've always thought it was bizarre that some states still had state controlled stores for liquor. when i lived in Raleigh, a sizeable city, there were THREE places to buy liquor....with lame hours.
I've heard that NYS's law dates back to the end of prohibition when they wanted to avoid Mafia familes getting involved in selling alcohol. That's why you can't own more than one liquor store under the same family name. Not sure how that applies to not being able to sell it in the supermarkets. I have no problem with the groceries selling alcohol.
Old 04-28-06, 03:49 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by VinVega
Josh, do you want to make this a poll?
Sure, why not. I just didn't post one as I figured 99.9% of people would be on the yay side.

I was just hoping there would be one or two on the nay side so I'd get an idea of why people would be opposed to this.
Old 04-28-06, 04:00 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Sure, why not. I just didn't post one as I figured 99.9% of people would be on the yay side.

I was just hoping there would be one or two on the nay side so I'd get an idea of why people would be opposed to this.
You're probably right. But we need to exercise our right to vote on everything we can. DVDTalk, changing the world one poll at a time.
Old 04-28-06, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Actually, here in California it is now mandatory that anyone buying tobacco products or alcoholic products show a valid photo ID before buying the product. And they're starting to require training to validate ID's to make sure the buyer is of legal age, too.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.