Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

More Americans Now Call Themselves Democrats

Old 03-31-06, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk God

More Americans Now Call Themselves Democrats

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/ea..._id=1002273782

E&P

Gallup: In Shift, More Americans Now Call Themselves Democrats

NEW YORK In a (perhaps) historic shift, more Americans now consider themselves Democrats than Republicans, the Gallup organization revealed today.

Republicans had gained the upper hand in recent years, but 33% of Americans, in the latest Gallup poll, now call themselves Democrats, with those favoring the GOP one point behind. But Gallup says this widens a bit more "once the leanings of Independents are taken into account."

Independents now make up 34% of the population. When asked if they lean in a certain direction, their answers pushed the Democrat numbers to 49% with Republicans at 42%. One year ago, the parties were dead even at 46% each.

This shift indicates, Gallup says, why its polls show Democrats leading in this year's congressional races.

The latest poll was taken from January to March 2006, with a national sample of about 1,000 adults.

This doesn't bode well for the Republicans in 11/2006.
Old 03-31-06, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

any historic data to compare this to?

republicans are in all kinds of trouble for november.
Old 03-31-06, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So who gets these phone calls for these polls? People at home during the day? So that's what poor people on welfare and bored housewives? That's great.
Old 03-31-06, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Mopower
So who gets these phone calls for these polls? People at home during the day? So that's what poor people on welfare and bored housewives? That's great.
They poll weekdays and weeknights & weekends.

You can't hunt that old dog. This is a Gallup Poll.
Old 03-31-06, 12:59 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Venusian
republicans are in all kinds of trouble for november.

Not necessarily.

Check out this article on gerrymandering:

http://www.economist.com/world/na/di...ory_id=1099030

Again, start with Florida. This year, the Republican-controlled legislature has proposed a map with 18 Republican-leaning seats and seven Democratic ones. But as the 2000 presidential vote showed, Florida's electorate is split perfectly down the middle. The map has been rigged outrageously to favour the Republicans.
Old 03-31-06, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In related news, more Americans now call other Americans stupid.
Old 03-31-06, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk God

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...00#post6893000
Old 03-31-06, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Another interesting paragraph from that article:

For one thing, it means the Democrats probably cannot take over the House this year unless a miracle occurs. The House will be decided by the toss-up seats. Roughly half of them are Democratic, half Republican. To overcome their current six-seat deficit, therefore, Democrats will have to take three-quarters of the closest seats—something they cannot do unless there is a dramatic change in the national mood.
I think the national mood has been changing, but it's still not "dramatic" enough apparently.
Old 03-31-06, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just imagine if all of those people that call themselves "independent" actually voted third party (if they even get off of their asses to vote in the first place).
Old 03-31-06, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk God

I believe it's a difficult chore for the Democrats to gain control of the House in 11/2006. But, 6 months months ago I thought it was an impossibility. I don't think that anymore.

I certainly hope they do. It would be nice to gain control of the Senate, but that's not nearly as important as control of the House.
Old 03-31-06, 03:41 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by grundle
Not necessarily.

Check out this article on gerrymandering:

http://www.economist.com/world/na/di...ory_id=1099030

Again, start with Florida. This year, the Republican-controlled legislature has proposed a map with 18 Republican-leaning seats and seven Democratic ones. But as the 2000 presidential vote showed, Florida's electorate is split perfectly down the middle. The map has been rigged outrageously to favour the Republicans.
That's a good point grundle. This his how they make gerrymandering work. Say you have a county like mine in Florida, Hillsborough county. There are enough people in the county to make up 3 congressional districts. The county breaks down about 42% Democrat voting 35% Republican (23% Ind-Other). Instead of 2 Dem districts and 1 Rep, they make this wacked out dictrict that follows the general trend of the lower income areas and pile all the Dems into one district, so that it will vote about 51% Dem and 25% Rep. The other 3 districts go Republican by only a few thousand votes since they are so spread out. It wouldn't take a whole lot to distruntle the Republicans enough to stay home and fire up the few Democrats in those districts to get out and vote. If the Independants/Other vote and vote Dem, it's possible that a few of those districts might go blue in 2006. One problem in a district like mine is that the current Republican candidate runs unopposed every election. He is now passing the reigns of power over to his son who is also running unopposed. What a shock. Republican royalty at it's best. Mike Bilirakis has been the Representitve of District 9 since 1983.

I'm in the 9th district. Notice how the 11th District (Mostly urban, Dem voters) snakes around Tampa Bay and sucks up the very Democratic area of St. Petersburg. By having rural geographic areas (mostly Reps) slash into the urban areas, you can take a Democratic county like Hillsborough and make it Republican.

http://edr.state.fl.us/redistricting...apCongress.PDF

http://election.dos.state.fl.us/vote...004primusc.pdf

Last edited by VinVega; 03-31-06 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-31-06, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How does the gerrymandering work and get approval? I remember Alito stating that it was the issue that got him interested in law. He believed that districts did not have to have equal numbers of people or something to that effect. I don't get that position. Isn't the whole point of Congress to have equal representation?
Old 03-31-06, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by B.A.
Just imagine if all of those people that call themselves "independent" actually voted third party (if they even get off of their asses to vote in the first place).

Then we would really be in trouble.

Old 03-31-06, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mopower

I thought the new term was Progressive?
Old 03-31-06, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk God

People can't honestly think so little of themselves, can they?
Old 03-31-06, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by CRM114
How does the gerrymandering work and get approval? I remember Alito stating that it was the issue that got him interested in law. He believed that districts did not have to have equal numbers of people or something to that effect. I don't get that position. Isn't the whole point of Congress to have equal representation?
it's politics and a much better system than 100 years ago when bosses like Tweed in NYC decided elections. Remember the line in Gangs of New York where the guy only voted 5 times? it's not far from the truth. There was a weak central government in NYC back then and so political bosses filled in the void with a variety of services in return for votes.

In politics you will always have these kinds of things because then you get what happened in texas a few years back where the democrats fled the state in order to tie things up. You make political deals to give some people more representation in some districts and less representation in others.
Old 03-31-06, 07:43 PM
Suspended

Texas has a few hundred thousand New Orleans folk now. Great voters.
Old 03-31-06, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk God

If they do vote - we know which they're going to vote for, don't we?
Old 03-31-06, 10:28 PM

maybe not too related, but I remember reading a WSJ article that said one of the biggest reason the crazy fringe rheotoric has been flying so much in recent yrs is because both parties are trying to push voters to the fringes, where they'll be reliable rank and file votes.

Makes sense really, Democrats villify Bush as evil incarnate, Republicans villify liberals, both hoping to foster an us vs them mentality to get reliable votes.
Old 03-31-06, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Chaos
maybe not too related, but I remember reading a WSJ article that said one of the biggest reason the crazy fringe rheotoric has been flying so much in recent yrs is because both parties are trying to push voters to the fringes, where they'll be reliable rank and file votes.

Makes sense really, Democrats villify Bush as evil incarnate, Republicans villify liberals, both hoping to foster an us vs them mentality to get reliable votes.
Which is weird, because last I checked, Bush wasn't running for office.
Old 03-31-06, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by classicman2
If they do vote - we know which they're going to vote for, don't we?
They will vote for those most friendly to the position of sitting on your front porch while bitching about workers not doing anything for them, while never getting off their butt. So, yes, we do know which way they will vote.
Old 03-31-06, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MartinBlank
Which is weird, because last I checked, Bush wasn't running for office.
Ah, the silver lining...
Old 04-01-06, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by kvrdave
They will vote for those most friendly to the position of sitting on your front porch while bitching about workers not doing anything for them, while never getting off their butt. So, yes, we do know which way they will vote.
No - like the rich, they know which party best represents their interests.

The difference is in parties.
Old 04-01-06, 10:10 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Except that dems get the most money from rich individual donors.
Washington Times Op-Ed: The Richest 1%

Dateline: December 18, 2002
Headline: The richest 1 percent
Byline: The Washington Times

So much for Republicans being the party of the wealthy. According to a new study by the nonpartisan Center for Responsive Politics, that moniker more appropriately belongs to the Democrats. "Republicans raised more than Democrats from individuals who contributed small and medium amounts of money during the 2002 election cycle," the report notes, "but Democrats far outpaced Republicans among deep-pocketed givers." Among donors who gave more than $200 but less than $1,000, Republicans enjoyed a substantial $68 million to $44 million edge over Democrats. The margin was closer among those individuals who gave $1,000 or more: The GOP took in $317 million, compared to the Democrats' $307 million.
It's 2002 but you get the idea
Old 04-01-06, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

So, wait, 33% of Americans call themselves Democrats, 32% call themselves Republicans...

35% call themselves neither.

Thread title is terribly misleading. It should read:

"More Americans choose to not be called Democrats or Republicans"

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.