Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Barack Obama: Republicans practice "Social Darwinism"

Old 12-13-05, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Barack Obama: Republicans practice "Social Darwinism"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051212/...NlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Obama says Republicans practice "Social Darwinism" By Barbara Liston
Mon Dec 12, 3:49 AM ET

Republicans controlling the federal government practice Social Darwinism, a discredited philosophy that in economics and politics calls for survival of the fittest, according to a Democratic U.S. senator.

Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois, a fast-rising Democratic star, told Florida party members that only a philosophy among Republicans of sink or swim explains why some Hurricane Katrina victims in New Orleans still live in cars while Republicans in Washington prepare next week to enact $70 billion in tax breaks.

"It's called the 'Ownership society' in Washington. This isn't the first time this philosophy has appeared. It used to be called Social Darwinism," Obama said late Saturday at the Democrats meeting at Walt Disney World.

"They have a philosophy they have implemented and that is doing exactly what it was designed to do. They basically don't believe in government. They have a different philosophy that says, 'We're going to dismantle government'," Obama said.

Republicans running the federal government believe, "You are on your own to buy your own health care, to buy your own retirement security ... to buy your own roads and levees," Obama said, referring to flood barriers that gave way in New Orleans during Katrina last August.

Obama, the only African American now in the U.S. Senate, gave the keynote address at the annual meeting of Florida Democrats.

Social Darwinism applies Charles Darwin's theory of natural selection from biology to human culture. Popular in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the theory advocates free competition and a minimalist role for government in society. Darwin himself rejected the application of natural selection to human society.

Florida's Democrats have won only a single state-wide election since 1998, when Republican Jeb Bush, the president's brother, was elected to the first of two terms. Florida law bars him from seeking a third term, a fact which has fed optimism among Democrats about 2006's state-wide elections.

Democratic National Chairman Howard Dean also spoke to the group, repeating his call for a "strategic redeployment" from Iraq in which the United States brings home 50,000 National Guard and reserve soldiers in the next six months and transfers 20,000 troops to Afghanistan to root out terrorists.
For myself, this pretty much sums up the ideological differences between the parties. Do for yourself, do NOT expect ANYONE to do for you.

My two favorite words in the English language: Personal Responsibility

Question: How can Republicans practice "Social Darwinism"? Aren't all Republicans crazy zealots who think Darwin was full of shit?

Last edited by MartinBlank; 12-13-05 at 10:33 PM.
Old 12-13-05, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk God

I get tired of the shit of blame the Republicans for the Katrina victims. They should look to their own screwed up state, and it wasn't screwed up by Republicans.

But Obama believes everyone needs to be taken care of. Ain't that swell of him. Just hand over your money, and they will take care of all your needs...but it won't apply to them.
Old 12-13-05, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk God

What Obama is saying may be somewhat of a stretch, but not by much.

Below is a good example:

"They have a philosophy they have implemented and that is doing exactly what it was designed to do. They basically don't believe in government. They have a different philosophy that says, 'We're going to dismantle government'," Obama said.

Republicans running the federal government believe, "You are on your own to buy your own health care, to buy your own retirement security ... to buy your own roads and levees," Obama said, referring to flood barriers that gave way in New Orleans during Katrina last August.
Old 12-13-05, 11:28 PM

If Obama were President, America would be a much better place.
Old 12-13-05, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 12-14-05, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by classicman2

Republicans running the federal government believe, "You are on your own to buy your own health care, to buy your own retirement security ... <b>to buy your own roads and levees</b>," Obama said, referring to flood barriers that gave way in New Orleans during Katrina last August.
Except for that last asinine statement (which he of course knows to be untrue), it sounds good to me.
Old 12-14-05, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My two favorite words in the English language: Personal Responsibility
Right. The Republicans in power should accept responsibility that they are bankrupting and destabilizing social security by withdrawing large amounts of what surpluses it had. Many people have spent their whole lives paying into social security so they're entitled to it.
Old 12-14-05, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by classicman2
So who paid for the levees? Let's give them more money. They obviously got the job done. OHHHHhhhhhh, that's right, it was the government....so what was his point again? Moran.
Old 12-14-05, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk God

It's my understanding that the federal government agrees to pay only what is necessary to restore the levees to pre-Katrina standards - to withstand a category 3 hurricane. The federal government does not intend to 'improve' the levees.

Therefore, before you start calling someone 'Moran,' perhaps you should acquaint yourself with the facts. Of course you Repubs don't seem to care too much about facts.
Old 12-14-05, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Of course the Repubs can't spend money on things that will help the generally citizenary. They have to have it available for yet more tax cuts for the wealthy.
Old 12-14-05, 07:22 AM
Admin-Thanos

Personal Responsibility, ie you're on your own and if your meager dollars can't afford a public works project, then suck it! I think this is the Compassionate Conservatism we've heard rumors about.
Old 12-14-05, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by VinVega
Personal Responsibility, ie you're on your own and if your meager dollars can't afford a public works project, then suck it! I think this is the Compassionate Conservatism we've heard rumors about.
Compassionate Conservatism at work
Old 12-14-05, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How about if I'm dumb enough to live below sea level between 2 bodies of water, I should take care of my OWN safety.

Old 12-14-05, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by mosquitobite

How about if I'm dumb enough to live below sea level between 2 bodies of water, I should take care of my OWN safety.

That silly statement is an example of what Obama is talking about.
Old 12-14-05, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How many times should the federal government be responsible for rebuilding the levees? Give me a number cman...
Old 12-14-05, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The levees weren't built properly in the first place.
Old 12-14-05, 08:25 AM
Admin-Thanos

How about, if I'm dumb enough to live in a Hurricane prone area, or an Earthquake prone area, or a Tsunami area, etc. You could use this arguement with a good portion of the populated areas of this country.

All levels of government share some blame for imperfections in planning for natural disasters, but saying "suck it" to people effected by a natural disaster is not the American way.

Is it 100% the Federal government's job to do all the work? No of course not, but when local governments can't pay the bill because of the sheer magnitude of the problem, then they deserve some help. Do you give the localities a blank check? Of course not, it should be a coordinated effort.
Old 12-14-05, 08:27 AM
Admin-Thanos

How many times should the federal government be responsible for rebuilding the levees? Give me a number cman...
Probably as long as we intend on using the Mississippi for interstate commerce.
Old 12-14-05, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Probably as long as we intend on using the Mississippi for interstate commerce.
I don't agree. Instead increase the size of the canal maybe so the port can be higher up. One fix instead of numerous, infinity times...

I am ok with helping a disaster area once. After that, if people choose to rebuild in a disaster prone area, I'm sorry - I just don't feel it's the job of the rest of us to support a dumb idea.

Now, if you've got more money than you know what to do with and want to build a house on the ocean - more power to ya - but don't expect ME to help foot the bill when it's destroyed.
Old 12-14-05, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Of course not, it should be a coordinated effort.
But you know that is never going to happen because two political parties and every level of goverment are too busy putting the blame on one another. It's pathetic.
Old 12-14-05, 08:31 AM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by B.A.
But you know that is never going to happen because two political parties and every level of goverment are too busy putting the blame on one another. It's pathetic.
Yes, that is sad.

Should we just leave it to Personal Responsibility then?
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by B.A.
Agreed, power is more important to politicians than what is actually in the best interests of Americans. Thus the reason I oppose most govt power.
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes, that is sad.

Yes.
Old 12-14-05, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One more thing:

The Republicans Obama is talking about are probably people like me and people on Free Republic.

He SURE AS HELL ain't talking about the Republicans in power. They're Democrat-lite. They care more about power than reducing the size of government.

They're buying votes the same as Dems did for 40 years. The only difference between the 2 is who is footing the bill (us vs our grandchildren)
Old 12-14-05, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Private and public citizens alike should take responisibility for their actions before and after the Katrina disaster.

Of course, the government has to be involved, but how much of that falls on the back of the local, state and federal government is up for debate.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.