Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Conservatives miffed by Bush `holiday' card

Old 12-07-05, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Christmas not named in White House mailing

By Alan Cooperman
The Washington Post
Published December 7, 2005

WASHINGTON -- What's missing from the White House Christmas card? Christmas.

This month, as in every December since he took office, President Bush sent out cards with a generic end-of-the-year message, wishing 1.4 million of his close friends and supporters a happy "holiday season."

Many people are thrilled to get a White House Christmas card, no matter what the greeting. But some conservative Christians are reacting as if Bush stuck coal in their stockings.

"This clearly demonstrates that the Bush administration has suffered a loss of will and that they have capitulated to the worst elements in our culture," said William Donohue, president of the Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights.

Bush "claims to be a born-again, evangelical Christian. But he sure doesn't act like one," said Joseph Farah, editor of the conservative Web site WorldNetDaily.com. "I threw out my White House card as soon as I got it."

Religious conservatives are miffed because they have been pressuring stores to advertise Christmas sales rather than "holiday specials" and urging schools to let students out for Christmas vacation rather than for "winter break." They celebrated when House Speaker Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.) insisted that the sparkling spectacle on the Capitol lawn should be called the Capitol Christmas Tree, not a holiday spruce.

Then along comes a generic season's greeting from the White House, paid for by the Republican National Committee. The cover art, from a painting by artist Jamie Wyeth, is also secular, if not humanist: It shows the presidential pets--two dogs and a cat--frolicking on a snowy White House lawn.

"Certainly President and Mrs. Bush, because of their faith, celebrate Christmas," said Susan Whitson, the first lady's press secretary. "Their cards in recent years have included best wishes for a holiday season, rather than Christmas wishes, because they are sent to people of all faiths."

That is the same rationale offered by major retailers for generic holiday catalogs, and it is accepted by groups such as the National Council of Churches. "I think it's more important to put Christ back into our war planning than into our Christmas cards," said the council's general secretary, Rev. Bob Edgar, a former Democratic congressman.

`Political correctness' blamed

But the White Houses explanation does not satisfy groups that have grown in number in recent years that believe there is, in the words of the Heritage Foundation, a "war on Christmas" involving an "ever-stronger push toward a neutered holiday season so that non-Christians won't be even the slightest bit offended."

One of the generals on the pro-Christmas side is Tim Wildmon, president of the American Family Association in Tupelo, Miss. "Sometimes it's hard to tell whether this is sinister--it's the purging of Christ from Christmas--or whether it's just political correctness run amok," he said. "I think in the case of the White House, it's just political correctness."

Wildmon does not give retailers the same benefit of the doubt. This year, he has called for a consumer boycott of Target stores because the chain issued a holiday advertising circular that did not mention Christmas.

"It bothers me that the White House card leaves off any reference to Jesus, while we've got Ramadan celebrations in the White House," Wildmon said.

At the Catholic League, Donohue had just announced a boycott of the Lands' End catalog when he received his White House holiday card. True, he said, the Bushes included a verse from Psalm 28, but Psalms are in the Old Testament and do not mention Jesus' birth.

"They'd better address this, because they're no better than the retailers who have lost the will to say `Merry Christmas,"' he said.

Donohue said he was not mollified by a letter from Lands' End saying it "adopted the `holiday' terminology as a way to comply with one of the basic freedoms granted to all Americans: freedom of religion."

Nixon 1st to politicize cards

Diversity has been a hallmark of White House greeting cards for some time, according to Mary Evans Seeley of Tampa, author of "Season's Greetings From the White House." The last presidential Christmas card that mentioned Christmas was in 1992, sent by George H.W. and Barbara Bush, parents of the current president.

Seeley dates the politicization of the White House Christmas card to Richard Nixon, who increased the number of recipients tenfold, to 40,000, in his first year. The numbers since have snowballed, hitting 400,000 under Bill Clinton and rising to more than a million under the current Bushes, with each president's political party paying the bill.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...ationworld-hed

And people say the poor have a sense of entitlement. Will these hardcore Christians please get over themselves? They are free to celebrate their holiday in whatever way they want to. Let the President and Target and Land's End and the rest of us celebrate it in the way we want to.
Old 12-07-05, 06:07 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

I throw it away too, usually unopened.
Old 12-07-05, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bhk
I throw it away too, usually unopened.
STOP TRYING TO IMPOSE YOUR CHRISTIANITY ON ME!!!!!11!!!1!
Old 12-07-05, 06:15 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Would it be OK if I tried to impose my Hinduism on you?
Old 12-07-05, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk God

I don't see the big deal either, personally.
Old 12-07-05, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by JasonF
STOP TRYING TO IMPOSE YOUR CHRISTIANITY ON ME!!!!!11!!!1!

How is this trying to impose Christianity on you?
Old 12-07-05, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave
How is this trying to impose Christianity on you?
Because bhk threw out the card without opening it, just like Joseph Farah, who is demanding that the White House practice religion in a manner more to his, Farah's, liking. And because bhk isn't Christian. That fact -- plus the overwrought typeface and exclamation points -- was supposed to make my post funny. Obviously it didn't work very well.
Old 12-07-05, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk God

I know now for certain that the PC thing is holiday card, holiday tree, and holiday decorations. I saw it on the Weather Channel.
Old 12-07-05, 06:34 PM

I think this really might hurt his chances for reelection.
Old 12-07-05, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk God

The GOP is going after the Kwaanza vote.
Old 12-07-05, 06:58 PM
Admin-Thanos

Maybe if more Christians actually went to church on Christmas, it might make more sense to keep the name Christmas tree.
Old 12-07-05, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Red Dog
The GOP is going after the Kwaanza vote.
Appropriate that you did not use the plural.
Old 12-07-05, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Did any of these morons actually think that possibly, the President may be sending holiday card to people celebrating Hanukkah? Or is the White House to determine the religion of each recipient? Do these people know that Hanukkah is the same time of year as Christmas? My god man.

This Christmas crusade has got to be one of the most ridiculous things I have seen in my life. I celebrate Christmas too but I don't walk around thinking that everyone must cater to me. Bill O'Reilly has some ludicrous diatribe about this insisting that every store should greet you with Merry Christmas.
Old 12-07-05, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by VinVega
Maybe if more Christians actually went to church on Christmas, it might make more sense to keep the name Christmas tree.

... though, in some cases, it's the only time they go to church during the year.
Old 12-07-05, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by CRM114
Bill O'Reilly has some ludicrous diatribe about this insisting that every store should greet you with Merry Christmas.
If a store doesn't greet O'Reilly with a "Merry Christmas," they have entered the "No Sale Zone."
Old 12-07-05, 08:35 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Red Dog
If a store doesn't greet O'Reilly with a "Merry Christmas," they have entered the "No Sale Zone."
Leave the not-being-funny to Groucho.
Old 12-07-05, 08:46 PM
X
Administrator

Old 12-07-05, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
"This clearly demonstrates that the Bush administration has suffered a loss of will and that they have capitulated to the worst elements in our culture," said William Donohue, president of the Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights.
At the Catholic League, Donohue had just announced a boycott of the Lands' End catalog when he received his White House holiday card. True, he said, the Bushes included a verse from Psalm 28, but Psalms are in the Old Testament and do not mention Jesus' birth.
"The worst elements in our culture."

I also heard that Donohue, one of the looniest people this side of the asteroid belt, was asked if a Jewish president should send out a card that said "Merry Christmas." He reportedly replied, "Absolutely."
Old 12-07-05, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by movielib
I also heard that Donohue, one of the looniest people this side of the asteroid belt, was asked if a Jewish president should send out a card that said "Merry Christmas." He reportedly replied, "Absolutely."
Old 12-07-05, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is just Fox News flexing its muscles and reminding Bush that they gave it and can take it all away.
Old 12-08-05, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The Passion Of The Religiously Retarded.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 12-08-05 at 02:31 AM.
Old 12-08-05, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just got both XM and Sirius this week since I won't be able to find an x box 360 for another ten years it seems, and all I hear the conservatives going nuts about this whole christmas controversy. Isn't there more important things to worry about in this country? I understand the whole stupid winter play instead of christmas play, but who cares if a store says happy holidays? I used to say happy holidays to cover thanksgiving, christmas, and new years, not to not mention Christmas. I have to admit, this whole debate is both disgusting me and making me laugh at the abusurdness of it at the same time. Now even Bush is getting attacked by by the conservatives!!!!.
Old 12-08-05, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't get it. For YEARS we Christians have been complaining how the world usurped Christmas and made it a secular commercial event. But now, the un-believers, atheists, and anti-Christians have finally done what we were NOT able to do....

....Acknowledge Christmas as a religious observance! We should be thankful. I guess what we don't like NOW is that Christianity isn't as popular as we want it to be. The Bible predicted this so if any of us are surprised, then maybe we should use the Bible more for reading than for head-bashing.
Old 12-08-05, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by classicman2
I know now for certain that the PC thing is holiday card, holiday tree, and holiday decorations. I saw it on the Weather Channel.
Sending out a 'Happy Holidays' card rather than 'Merry Christmas' isn't really an issue with me (though why so many take offense to it is intriguing).

That said, the problem I do have is the renaming of the tree to a Holiday tree. That is one example that is specific to Christmas. Rebranding it to a generic name is simply untrue (and unfair to the other celebrations).
Old 12-08-05, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think a lot of the anti-Christian/Christmas backlash is because most Americans are afraid the country, as a whole, is becoming too religious----specificially, fundamentalist. I think it's just an attempt to slow down the "conversion." Christmas and religion had never been a problem. Now all of a sudden or at least with the current admin., we've got a shitload more Christianity to deal with (all up in our face!) and this is probably just a reaction.

I have no problem calling it Christmas and Christmas trees, by the way. Christmas hasn't been about religion and Jesus and all that for years. It's now about Black Friday sales, amazon.com stock going up, getting off from work, buying shit you don't need......etc.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.