Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Sen. Specter Defends Terrell Owens

Old 11-29-05, 09:16 AM
Admin-Thanos

Sen. Specter Defends Terrell Owens

Yahoo link
PHILADELPHIA - Sen. Arlen Specter (news, bio, voting record) accused the National Football League and the Philadelphia Eagles of treating Terrell Owens unfairly and said he might refer the matter to the antitrust subcommittee of the Senate Judiciary Committee, which he chairs.

Specter said at a news conference Monday in Harrisburg it was "vindictive and inappropriate" for the league and the Eagles to forbid the all-pro wide receiver from playing and prevent other teams from talking to him.

"It's a restraint of trade for them to do that, and the thought crosses my mind, it might be a violation of antitrust laws," Specter said, though some other legal experts disagreed.

The Eagles suspended Owens on Nov. 5 for four games without pay for "conduct detrimental to the team, and deactivated him with pay on Sunday after the suspension ended.

Arbitrator Richard Bloch said last week the team's actions were supported by the labor agreement between the league and the NFL Players Association.

"The arbitrator's decision is consistent with our collective bargaining agreement, and it simply enforced the terms of the player's contract," Greg Aiello, an NFL spokesman, said Monday.

"To have an antitrust violation, you have to have a contract or conspiracy in restraint of trade," said Robert McCormick, a law professor at Michigan State University.

Matthew J. Mitten, director of the National Sports Law Institute at Marquette University, said, "We're in the labor arena, not antitrust."

Specter emphasized that he was "not a supporter of Terrell Owens."

"I am madder than hell at what he has done in ruining the Eagles' season," the Pennsylvania Republican said. "I think he's in flagrant breach of his contract and I believe the Eagles would be within their rights in not paying him another dime or perhaps even suing him for damages."

But Specter said, "I do not believe, personally, that it is appropriate to punish him (by forcing him to sit out the rest of the season). He's not committed a crime, he's committed a breach of contract. And what they're doing against him is vindictive."
Not sure if this should go into Sports or here, but it may be proof positive that the good Senator from PA may have finally lost his mind.
Old 11-29-05, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder how Keyshawn Johnson feels seeing people make a stink about it. I dont remember anybody giving a shit when it happened to him.
Old 11-29-05, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Moran.
Old 11-29-05, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Sounds like a dad who's pissed his kid is benched in T-ball.
Old 11-29-05, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is insanity. Not only are the Eagles justified in what they did but even if they weren't they have the right to suspend and/or bench anyone they choose to. Arlen Specter needs to stay the hell away from what his hometown football team does.
Old 11-29-05, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by VinVega
Yahoo link

Not sure if this should go into Sports or here, but it may be proof positive that the good Senator from PA may have finally lost his mind.
It's a good thing Specter already won reelection.
Old 11-29-05, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

FWIW, PA is an "at-will" employment state.
Old 11-29-05, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk God

This reminds me of some of the stupid things he said during the impeachment mess.
Old 11-29-05, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Why in the world didn't the Repubs prevent him from becoming Chairman of Senate Judiciary Committee? One reason is probably that another senator who in the past, including the impeachment mess, has made stupid statements. He supported Specter's chairmanship. Remember Hatch saying - 'If Bill (he really said President Clinton) will only confess and ask for forgiveness.....'
Old 11-29-05, 10:23 AM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by classicman2
Why in the world didn't the Repubs prevent him from becoming Chairman of Senate Judiciary Committee? One reason is probably that another senator who in the past, including the impeachment mess, has made stupid statements. He supported Specter's chairmanship. Remember Hatch saying - 'If Bill (he really said President Clinton) will only confess and ask for forgiveness.....'
Two Republicans who have done more damage to the Republican party than just about any I can think of.
Old 11-29-05, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

there really is no "trade" being restrained here. he was suspended for four games, which was upheld by an impartial arbitrator. granted he will not get paid for these games, however, it was a punishment for violation of his contract. he is getting paid for the rest of the year -- how is compensating him for his services and choosing not to use his services restraint of trade?
Old 11-29-05, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Is the good senator from Pennsylvania bored? Perhaps he needs to find something better to do? Rather than stick his nose in something that's absolutely none of his buisness... unless Terrell Owens somehow involves the well being of the country.
Old 11-29-05, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by General Zod
Is the good senator from Pennsylvania bored? Perhaps he needs to find something better to do? Rather than stick his nose in something that's absolutely none of his buisness... unless Terrell Owens somehow involves the well being of the country.
You have to forgive Specter. He's a big Eagles fan and probably not taking the sudden Eagle failures too well.
Old 11-29-05, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk God

At leat he's getting his hair back.
Old 11-29-05, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

wow... specter has alot of time on his hands....
Old 11-29-05, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Might want to bold that.
Old 11-29-05, 02:24 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by The Bus

Might want to bold that.
He also said this:

"I am madder than hell at what he has done in ruining the Eagles' season," the Pennsylvania Republican said. "I think he's in flagrant breach of his contract and I believe the Eagles would be within their rights in not paying him another dime or perhaps even suing him for damages."

But Specter said, "I do not believe, personally, that it is appropriate to punish him (by forcing him to sit out the rest of the season). He's not committed a crime, he's committed a breach of contract. And what they're doing against him is vindictive."
It's alomst like he completely contradicts himself. I don't know what the man's point is other than grandstanding.
Old 11-29-05, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk God

That statement makes no sense whatsoever.
Old 11-29-05, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just to play Devil's Advocate -- doesn't the collective bargaining agreement specify a maximum punishment (4 weeks suspension)? Is it right that the Eagles can go beyond that punishment by putting TO on inactive status? His contract specifies his punishment; the Eagles are now exceeding that punishment.
Old 11-29-05, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by JasonF
Just to play Devil's Advocate -- doesn't the collective bargaining agreement specify a maximum punishment (4 weeks suspension)? Is it right that the Eagles can go beyond that punishment by putting TO on inactive status? His contract specifies his punishment; the Eagles are now exceeding that punishment.

Not according to the arbitrator. Plus I believe he does get paid during his time on the inactive list. The Bucs did the same exact thing to Keyshawn a few years ago.
Old 11-29-05, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Its true the Eagles are being petty and vindictive. But I also think a team should be able to do anything they want with a player under contract. They could make him play special teams or work on the practice unit.
Old 11-29-05, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Specter did come up w/ the single bullet theory in the Warren Commission...
Old 11-29-05, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by VinVega
He also said this:

It's alomst like he completely contradicts himself. I don't know what the man's point is other than grandstanding.
Specter just has a lot of $$ on the birds.
Old 11-29-05, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Goldblum
Specter just has a lot of $$ on the birds.
He's probably buddies with the owners.
Old 11-29-05, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by CRM114
Its true the Eagles are being petty and vindictive. But I also think a team should be able to do anything they want with a player under contract. They could make him play special teams or work on the practice unit.
Mowing & striping the field.. selling peanuts... at least make him useful.