Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Should General Motors pay 30,000 people to build cars that no one wants to buy?

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: Should General Motors pay 30,000 people to build cars that no one wants to buy?
Yes, and I'm a conservative.
0%
No, and I'm a conservative.
37.78%
Yes, and I'm a liberal.
4.44%
No, and I'm a liberal.
20.00%
Yes, and I'm a libertarian.
0%
No, and I'm a libertarian.
24.44%
Yes, and I'm some other political affiliation.
0%
No, and I'm some other political affiliation.
13.33%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-22-05, 07:31 PM
Political Exile

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...SS01/511210405

Toyota is on track to top GM sales

'06 goal would push it to world No. 1

November 21, 2005

FREE PRESS STAFF

Toyota Motor Corp. is expected to release 2006 sales targets next month that, if realized, would push it past General Motors Corp. as the world's largest automaker, according to a report in Saturday's Wall Street Journal.

The Journal, citing people familiar with the matter, said Toyota's plan could set a production goal in 2006 of 9.2 million automobiles, 11% more than it expects to make in its current fiscal year.

GM made 8.99 million cars and trucks in 2004 and has projected it will build 9.1 million this year. The company hasn't made projections for 2006. GM has been the world's No. 1 automaker for more than 70 years.

Toyota officials have publicly said they're concerned about U.S. backlash from dethroning GM. Industry experts also worry about quality problems if the company expands too quickly.

But an 11% growth rate wouldn't be that far off what Toyota has done for the past few years. Worldwide sales grew 10% each year in 2004 and 2005.

Toyota would likely gain much of the ground through increases in U.S. sales. The company's U.S. sales are up 10% through October 2005 compared to the same period last year, according to Autodata. The Camry, already the top-selling car, will be redesigned for next year.

GM's car and truck sales in the U.S. have fallen 3.4% through October, compared to the same period last year.

"We're working very hard on our plans for our future, and if we do that well, it takes care of itself," GM spokesman Tom Kowaleski said Sunday.

------

http://news.independent.co.uk/busine...icle328490.ece

GM takes the axe to 30,000 jobs and 12 US plants

By Michael Harrison, Business Editor

Published: 22 November 2005

General Motors is to axe 30,000 jobs and close 12 of its North American plants in an attempt to stem crippling losses in its US car-making operations.

The cuts announced yesterday involve 5,000 more job cuts than expected and will reduce GM's car manufacturing capacity in North America by a further one million units, helping deliver $7bn (£4bn) of annual cost savings by the start of 2007. GM's worldwide workforce currently stands at 325,000 in 32 countries.

Rick Wagoner, GM's chairman and chief executive, said: "These actions are necessary for GM to get its costs in line with our major global competitors. In short, they are an essential part of our plan to return our North American operations to profitability as soon as possible."

He added that GM hoped to achieve much of the job reductions through early retirement and natural staff turnover. GM said it hoped to reach agreement with its unions on an early retirement plan as soon as possible.

In the first nine months of the year, GM lost $4bn in North America, where it has been hit severely by competition from Japanese manufacturers such as Toyota, particularly in the pick-up or utility vehicle sector of the market.

The cutbacks will be phased in between now and 2008 and will reduce GM's North American manufacturing capacity to 4.2 million units. Last year GM sold 9 million cars and trucks worldwide. GM has already cut capacity by one million units under an earlier cost-cutting drive which began in 2002.

The job cuts and plant closures follow agreement last month between GM and its labour unions to reduce the car giant's healthcare liabilities by a total of $15bn. The annual reduction in GM's healthcare costs will contribute $3bn of the $7bn target announced yesterday.

GM again brushed aside suggestions that it might ultimately be forced to seek bankruptcy protection, saying: "We have no plans to file for Chapter 11, we are pretty clear on that."

The facilities being closed by GM include nine assembly, body pressing and engine plants and three service and parts operations. Following the closures, GM's total capacity in 2008 will be 30 per cent lower than it was in 2002.

In June, GM indicated that its cost-cutting plan would produce savings of $5bn. Yesterday, it said that figure would be running at an annualised rate of $6bn by the end of 2006. In addition, the company is continuing to pursue plans to reduce its components bill by $1bn a year.

The cost-cutting initiative is part of a two-pronged strategy to return to profitability in GM's home market. The other half of the strategy is to improve the model line-up.
Old 11-22-05, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Is this being fowarded to GM?

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 11-22-05 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11-22-05, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

where is the who cares option for those of us that own hondas and toyotas?
Old 11-22-05, 08:48 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Is thing being fowarded to GM?
Not by me!

If you want to, please feel free to do it.
Old 11-22-05, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The cost-cutting initiative is part of a two-pronged strategy to return to profitability in GM's home market. The other half of the strategy is to improve the model line-up.
C'mon! The Pontiac Aztec was a master stroke! Master stroke, I tell you.
Old 11-22-05, 08:50 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by al_bundy
where is the who cares option for those of us that own hondas and toyotas?
That's a good question.

I never change a poll after it first appears, because that would taint the voting process.

But I'm glad you made a post to say what you said.
Old 11-23-05, 07:05 AM
Admin-Thanos

I don't think I ever saw myself buying a non American car, but when I go car shopping in January, I will not be looking at any American made cars. The lack of a hybrid sedan is the main reason why I won't be buying American and I'm very sad to say it. GM is so woefully behind the curve, I feel for the workers who will be laid off because of piss poor management and a complete lack of vision from the executives at GM.
Old 11-23-05, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk God

The headline in The Daily Oklahoman 'The Sun Sets on the GM Plant in OKC.'

2,600 will lose their jobs in OKC.
Old 11-23-05, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by VinVega
I don't think I ever saw myself buying a non American car, but when I go car shopping in January, I will not be looking at any American made cars. The lack of a hybrid sedan is the main reason why I won't be buying American and I'm very sad to say it. GM is so woefully behind the curve, I feel for the workers who will be laid off because of piss poor management and a complete lack of vision from the executives at GM.
they have stuff on the drawing boards, but there is no way GM can profitably make a small car
Old 11-23-05, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I tend to believe that it is the corporate executives that are primarily at fault. They are certainly the ones making the decisions for the corporation and regardless of how the company performs, their compensation packages are protected.

I keep hearing how it is the Auto workers' Unions that screwed everything up. That their unreasonably high salaries and benefits are the major contributing factor to GM's troubles.

How does the salary/benefits for GM workers compare to US Toyota workers? If the packages are comparable then it doesn't seem to me like unions can be blamed.
Old 11-23-05, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk God

sracer,

You must be mistaken. Surely the company executives can't be at fault. It must be that dreadful UAW. At least that's what our Repub, union bashing, friends will tell us.
Old 11-23-05, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

These companies are too big for their own good. That, and they are stupid.

Get ready to say good-bye to Buick in America. That only applies to C-man, since he's the only old enough to buy a Bu.
Old 11-23-05, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk God

I own an Oldsmobile.

I've owned Buicks.
Old 11-23-05, 09:00 AM
Admin-Thanos

I may have to take back what I said about not buying American. Honda jacked up the price on their Civic hybrid by $2,000, therby negating the gas savings I would have gotten by buying it. They have the right to do this since they and Toyota own the hybrid market, but they may have lost a potential customer back to the ole' US of A. We'll see what happens when I test drive a few cars in a couple of months.
Old 11-23-05, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I may have to take back what I said about not buying American. Honda jacked up the price on their Civic hybrid by $2,000, therby negating the gas savings I would have gotten by buying it. They have the right to do this since they and Toyota own the hybrid market, but they may have lost a potential customer back to the ole' US of A. We'll see what happens when I test drive a few cars in a couple of months.
What American sedans offer better gas mileage than Honda or Toyota non-hybrid sedans? If you're out of the market for a hybrid (which ISN'T cost effective or environmentally friendly), then it seems like Honda and Toyota still offer better alternatives for straight-gas models.
Old 11-23-05, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk God

I don't think I ever saw myself buying a non American car(

I'm the exact opposite - have always bought Japanese with no regrets. There is only 1 American car that I like right now - the Chrysler Crossfire just because it is so damn cool looking.
Old 11-23-05, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

He added that GM hoped to achieve much of the job reductions through early retirement and natural staff turnover.
So, they're not really cuts, they're simply reductions in the rate of growth?
Old 11-23-05, 09:30 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

GM is selling lots of cars, but their costs are too high.
Old 11-23-05, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Jason
So, they're not really cuts, they're simply reductions in the rate of growth?

Old 11-23-05, 09:34 AM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by sracer
What American sedans offer better gas mileage than Honda or Toyota non-hybrid sedans? If you're out of the market for a hybrid (which ISN'T cost effective or environmentally friendly), then it seems like Honda and Toyota still offer better alternatives for straight-gas models.
I buy American when I have the opportunity. I don't know what else to say. I'm doing my part to slow down the trade deficit. I've had a Saturn for 10 years and I loved the damned thing. I'm probably going to get another one. You know I was in the process of packaging up my Grandmother's old plates that I swiped from her apt. after she passed away (we have a new set of dishes and don't have room for them anymore) to give to charity and on the back of the plates it says, "Made in Chicago." What an interesting concept. I guess it's something instilled in me from my Dad. Always buy American. I think X would back me up on this one.
Old 11-23-05, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk God

I sold my Toyota a couple of weeks ago. This is the first time in my memory that I haven't owned a foreign car.
Old 11-23-05, 09:36 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

It's hard nowadays though. Many Buicks are made in Canada while Camrys and Accords are made in the US.
Old 11-23-05, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by bhk
It's hard nowadays though. Many Buicks are made in Canada while Camrys and Accords are made in the US.
assembled
Old 11-23-05, 09:40 AM

No, and I'm a liberal.

Nice loaded poll, by the way.
Old 11-23-05, 09:46 AM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by bhk
That's a good point. Damned global economy.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.