Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Help me understand the Medical Marijuana argument

Old 11-29-04, 05:37 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Help me understand the Medical Marijuana argument

OK on the news some woman had a prescription for smoking weed that helped with her back pain.

I thought putting any kind of smoke into your lungs was a no-no medically?

It seems most people for the legalization of pot want to smoke it, of course you can eat it or whatever but it seems they're pushing for it to be available in that one form -- smokable weed. How does this help thier claim that its for medical reasons?

Are there no other drugs available for helping with constant pain?

I want people to have whatever medicine would help them but i cant help but think this whole 'medical marijuana' lobby is just a ploy to get pot to everyone.
Old 11-29-04, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well, we're talking a balancing act. It's not like smoking will automatically give you cancer or ruin your lungs. I'd venture to say most drugs have some sort of side effect, but the good outweighs the bad. Don't think that smoking a little medical marijuana is necessarily comparable to smoking 3 packs a day of cigerettes. Also don't forget how many drugs are related to medicine anyway. Opiates are often used for medicinal reasons. Ecstasy started off as a theraputic drug. What about Oxycontin? We know how addicting and messed up that can be, but it's also a prescribed medicine. Morphine can be quite dangerous also when used improperly. Nitrous Oxide is often used as a drug and can have problematic effects, but similar things are used for various medicinal reasons. I'm no med student, so i may have mixed things up, but drugs in general are not always 100% safe, so I wouldn't imagine marijuana is either.

Of course, I think marijuana should be legal across the board the same way alcohol is.
Old 11-29-04, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It improved the quality of life for my father during the last years of his life. Without it he would've been in blinding pain for 24hrs a day instead of just 12hrs... plus, he probably would've died sooner since without dope he often wasn't able to hold down any food. As it was, he lost close to 100 pounds (going from 6'1 260).
Old 11-29-04, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk God

How can the court rule other than supporting the federal government?
Old 11-29-04, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Save Ferris,

Well, a lobby is always going to be in favor of protecting their own. Look at any lobbyist in DC. What about pharmaceutical companies? Do you think they want people to grow their own cheap marijuana plants? Hell no. They want you to pay hundreds and thousands of dollars a year for your medications. And of all medications I know of, Marijuana is the least addictive. Methadone is a terrible "therapeutic", but it seems as if the pharmaceutical companies have no problems giving you this crap, which is actually proven to be more addictive than the illegal drug a person was on in the first place.
Old 11-29-04, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by classicman2
How can the court rule other than supporting the federal government?
They keep talking about states' rights. Perhaps they mean it.
Old 11-29-04, 09:42 PM

I think I saw the same story that the OP did. One thing that annoyed me was how emphatic the woman was about saying "I don't get high". PLEASE. She smokes like 3 pounds of weed a month and she doesn't get high?!? Ridiculous. I guess she has to say that to deflect all the crazed anti-pot people and assure them that she's not (gasp) deriving any pleasurable effects from it, in addition to the painkilling/appetite benefits. Meanwhile people are floating through life on 7 or 8 vicodin a day and that's perfectly fine because they have a prescription. It's all so silly.
Old 11-29-04, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

cindy's on methadone
she's through with the syringe
cindy's on methadone
she's off of heroin

cindy's on methadone
we're glad to have her home
she slept in vomit
now she sleeps on methadone

but she stopped ripping off her neighbors
stopped taking change from strangers
stopped shooting needles full of dreams
into her arms

cindy's on methadone
we see it in her eyes
sounds so much better
but it's just another high

she stopped calling at three thirty
stopped looking thin and dirty
stopped screaming bloody murder
when she got cut off

why don't you stop with your fake solutions
stop covering up the truth and
stop trying to make things smooth and
stop acting like she's stupid
Old 11-30-04, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm assuming this is the same case that is being argued before the supreme court. The attorney for the defense gave his argument at my husband's school and from what I understand, they are trying to say that she cannot grow her own weed because it interferes with the commerce clause, but her argument is that it is not a commerical good since it is legal in so few states so therefore, it does not fall under the commerce clause.
Old 11-30-04, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk God

I heard this argument on the news. Please find the flaw in it. Why would it be any different if states wanted to legalize cocaine for individuals? I know it is legal for certain things, but so is THC. While I am not necessarily opposed to this, I don't understand how they can go against federal law....unless we are talking about gay marriage in Massachussets, which seems like the same issue, but they didn't touch that one.
Old 11-30-04, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Does anyone know how medically successful mary jane is in other countries?

Arron Brown had a hippy looking professor on talking about how pot should be legal. He said the problem was pot needed a change of image. Smoking it looked seedy. The pharmaceutical industry could make it more acceptable as a prescription drug, but that doesn't mean taking away the 'high' (of course) because that can actually beneficial to depressed people.
Old 11-30-04, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Other countries don't have a morally and medically screwed up system like the US does, and marijuana use is rather moot. , did I say that.
Old 11-30-04, 09:46 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

If its an issue of being screwed by these pharm. companies, theres other ways to address it. Other issues where its more blatient and affects more people.

Producing prescription drugs in peoples backyards opens up the same problems of illegal trade/security/safe drug standards etc...

I would think that a pharm. company that could put the pot into a pill form would make tons of $$$ (how hard can it be?) And then of course you can take your prescription to Canada

This all looks like a veiled attempt to 'legalize it' even though it has legit uses it wont help their cause.
Old 11-30-04, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Why doesn't the American Cancer Society and other societies support the legalization of medical marijuana? Could it just be that they demand something more than anedoctal evidence that it has medical benefits?
Old 11-30-04, 10:09 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

I have a feeling that the pot advocates DONT want official endorsement because they would push for a traditional legalization of the drug that would require FDA processing and prescriptions.

If they are just looking for a way to smoke the herb thats the wrong way to go entirely.

Just a hunch, but the cancer society probably wont endorse smoking weed despite the differences from tobacco smoke--And these pot lobbyists seem adamant that they want to still be able to smoke it.
Old 11-30-04, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm sure its been said before but the way the pro medical marijuana lobbyists are going at the whole issue is wrong. How are they going to convince people about the medical benefits of marijuana when it takes courts and lawsuits to legalize it. If they took it to the FDA and they approved it...the process every medical drug goes through then I wouldnt have a problem with it
Old 11-30-04, 03:21 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

I think the sole reasosn they dont want the FDA to approve it, is because it would be taken out of their hands for sure. No growing it and smoking it.

After all NO prescription drug is legal to process in the home.
Old 11-30-04, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

While a number of people may abuse this drug, I think it should be in the hands of doctors to prescribe marijuana if they think it is in their patient's best interest. There are far more dangerous and addictive drugs out there that doctors prescribe every day. Hell, cocaine is used on a daily basis for a number of ENT and oral surgeries.
Old 11-30-04, 04:32 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Theres lots of good things to be said about legalizing pot for recreational use just as there are for allowing doctors to prescribe it.

Those are 2 completely different issues but its like the people in the news are arguing it like its the same.
Old 11-30-04, 04:33 PM

Pretty much anytime I see somebody arguing for medical marijuana, he's wearing black jeans and holding a lava lamp.
Old 11-30-04, 04:39 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Its not my fault they have good taste.

Its not recommended you hold a lava lamp after its been turned on.
Old 11-30-04, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by Save Ferris
Yep. You should set it down someplace safe, like a stove.
Old 11-30-04, 06:43 PM

Whoa, man. Dude...that's freakin crazy man!
Old 11-30-04, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

People sell their Vikes and other prescriptions drugs to others to make a fast buck, so I don't why Marijuana should be excluded just because some say it would be abused. This is America. Everything is abused. We need to look in the other direction: Can it help people. Why yes, it can.

I say marijuana does have medicinal qualities, because I've seen patients smoke the shit and not have the terrible side-effects of prescription drugs that mess up their body. Whatever it is, it relieves their back pain and many other symptoms and there is no major side-effect, other than being hungry, and if you use the stuff chronically, memory loss.
Old 11-30-04, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I would think that a pharm. company that could put the pot into a pill form would make tons of $$$ (how hard can it be?) And then of course you can take your prescription to Canada
It is a tablet already. Its called Marinol I believe. Its basically pharmaceutical THC. The medical marijuana crowd says that its not nearly as effective as smoking it. Obviously, smoking it instantly gets the THC into the bloodstream where a tablet does not. I suppose its the instant effect that people with serious nausea etc desire.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.