Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Rather to step down [merged]

Old 11-23-04, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Rather to step down

------------------------------------------------------
MSNBC Breaking News
------------------------------------------------------

CBS News anchorman Dan Rather to step down - The longtime television newsman will leave in March 2005.
Old 11-23-04, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Followup from Drudge:

IT'S OFFICIAL: Embattled newsman Dan Rather is set to step down from his anchor duties at CBS EVENING NEWS in March '05, but he will maintain his role at 60 MINUTES II. Developing...

"Nov. 23, 2004 ó Dan Rather will step down from "CBS Evening News" in the spring of 2005, ABC News has learned.

CBS declined to comment on Rather's future. "
http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=276466&page=1
Old 11-23-04, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I should be happy, but I got my hopes up when I got to "to step" and was let down when it wasn't followed by "in front of a bus."
Old 11-23-04, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Dan Rather Stepping Down

Dan Rather announced Tuesday that he will step down as anchor and managing editor of the CBS Evening News in March, 24 years after his first broadcast in that position.

Rather will continue to work full-time at CBS News as a correspondent for both editions of 60 Minutes, as well as on other assignments for the news division.

"I have been lucky and blessed over these years to have what is, to me, the best job in the world and to have it at CBS News. Along the way, I've had the honor of working with some of the most talented, dedicated professionals in the world, and I'm appreciative of the opportunity to continue doing so in the years ahead," Rather said.

"Danís dedication to his craft and his remarkable skills as a reporter are legendary," said CBS News President Andrew Heyward. "He has symbolized the CBS Evening News for nearly a quarter century. Heíll continue to apply his talents to everything he does at CBS News. I look forward to saluting his extraordinary tenure in the Evening News chair early next year."
Old 11-23-04, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Old 11-23-04, 12:39 PM
X
Administrator

..."and CBS is proud to announce Dan will be replaced by award-winning print journalist Ted Rall."
Old 11-23-04, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They'll bring him back for election commentary in '08, right?

He's the only news anchor where his stepping down really <i>does</i> belong in the political forum, huh?
Old 11-23-04, 12:54 PM

Breaking News : Dan Rather To Step Down From Anchorman Job

http://www.local6.com/news/3943123/d...11280211232004

POSTED: 12:14 pm EST November 23, 2004
UPDATED: 12:48 pm EST November 23, 2004

NEW YORK -- Dan Rather is getting ready to leave the anchor seat.

He's announced that he's going to step down in March as anchor of the "CBS Evening News" -- exactly 24 years after he took over the job from Walter Cronkite.

Rather, 73, has come under increasing criticism in recent months -- for his role in a "60 Minutes" story on President George W. Bush's National Guard service. It was based on documents that have since been described as apparent forgeries.

Rather said he would continue to work for CBS, as a correspondent for both "60 Minutes" programs.

In a statement, he didnít mention the National Guard story. Instead, he said he agreed with CBS executives last summer that the right time for him to leave would be after the November elections.

CBS isn't saying who his successor might be.

Rather has been with CBS News for more than 40 years. He first gained fame as a reporter covering the Nixon White House.

Rather's announcement comes eight days before his NBC rival, Tom Brokaw, steps down as "Nightly News" anchor and is replaced by Brian Williams.

The triumvirate of Rather, Brokaw and ABC's Peter Jennings has ruled network news for more than two decades.

After the controversy surrounding the documents in the Bush report, Rather released the following statement:

Last week, amid increasing questions about the authenticity of documents used in support of a 60 MINUTES WEDNESDAY story about President Bush's time in the Texas Air National Guard, CBS News vowed to re-examine the documents in question-and their source-vigorously. And we promised that we would let the American public know what this examination turned up, whatever the outcome.

Now, after extensive additional interviews, I no longer have the confidence in these documents that would allow us to continue vouching for them journalistically. I find we have been misled on the key question of how our source for the documents came into possession of these papers. That, combined with some of the questions that have been raised in public and in the press, leads me to a point where-if I knew then what I know now-I would not have gone ahead with the story as it was aired, and I certainly would not have used the documents in question.

But we did use the documents. We made a mistake in judgment, and for that I am sorry. It was an error that was made, however, in good faith and in the spirit of trying to carry on a CBS News tradition of investigative reporting without fear or favoritism.

Please know that nothing is more important to us than people's trust in our ability and our commitment to report fairly and truthfully.

Chris
Old 11-23-04, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Thor Simpson
He's the only news anchor where his stepping down really <i>does</i> belong in the political forum, huh?

Oooooh damn! That's cold!

it's true btw...
Old 11-23-04, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This just in...Rather will be replaced by up & coming news anchor Michael Moore.
Old 11-23-04, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Thor Simpson
They'll bring him back for election commentary in '08, right?
Jeez, after three weeks ago, I sure hope so! I'll definitely take the next day off work though, since that goofy bastard will keep me up all night .

I love this line:
"Danís dedication to his craft"
Is that what it's called?

Oddly, I haven't heard of a conclusion to the memogate investigation. I continue to hold my breath...

Last edited by nevermind; 11-23-04 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-23-04, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He's reportedly "mad as hell" and "not going to take it anymore"
Old 11-23-04, 01:23 PM

http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread....hreadid=397214
Old 11-23-04, 01:41 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

"Danís dedication to his craft"
Dan is very dedicated to the craft of doing anything he can to help democrats win.
Old 11-23-04, 01:42 PM

Yeah, but he posted it later than I did!

Rather to step down

11-23-04 05:25 PM

ChiTownAbs, Inc
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not sure why the time is off!

Chris
Old 11-23-04, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya, you partisan fuck.
Old 11-23-04, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
This is about as overdue as a mirror falling off a rusty Chevy pickup driving down a bumpy country road in February.
Old 11-23-04, 01:45 PM

That's strange, I tried to post in that thread and it said that I wasn't logged in. But I am logged in, in this part of the forum!

That's never happened before.

Also, I did a search for 'rather' and came up empty 2x.

But this also belongs in the t.v. forum, since, well he is on t.v.

Chris
Old 11-23-04, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This was the only bit of news that CNN covered for thirty minutes after the announcement was made.

Old 11-23-04, 01:47 PM
Banned

So when will CBS continue to investigate the Bush Nat'l Guard documents fraud by Mr. Ratherbias?
Old 11-23-04, 01:52 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

So when will CBS continue to investigate the Bush Nat'l Guard documents fraud by Mr. Ratherbias?
We'll know the results of the investigation after OJ finds the real killers and they are in prison.
Old 11-23-04, 01:54 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

On the other hand, don't get too excited, the resignation letter is a forgery.
Old 11-23-04, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Good. Farewell.
Old 11-23-04, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Will he call the election before he retires?
Old 11-23-04, 02:06 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

This is one of the best Novembers in history:
1. Bush wins reelection with gains in both houses of Congress and the dems are still in therapy.

2. The Father of Modern Terrorism, Nobel Peace Prize Winner, and loved by the UN Yassar Arafat dies.

3. Ratherbiased is going soon.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.