Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: Will Bush make a surprise visit in Iraq for Thanksgiving?
Yes
20.69%
No
65.52%
twikoff
13.79%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Will Bush make a surprise visit in Iraq for Thanksgiving?

Old 11-22-04, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Will Bush make a surprise visit in Iraq for Thanksgiving?

I'd be surprised if he did, but it would be nice if he did.
Old 11-22-04, 02:01 PM
Banned

send Condi instead
Old 11-22-04, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wouldn't be much of a surprise this time would it?
Old 11-22-04, 02:15 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

I suspect he might make a quick visit on Christmas.
Old 11-22-04, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

With plastic turkey in hand? Maybe he'll wear that crazy Chilean poncho over there. Hey, ponchos are back in style!
Old 11-22-04, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How should I know?

It would be unfortunate if all the whining / plastic turkey comments about last year played a role in whether he went or not. Not sure where these people are coming from or what they hope to accomplish.

There are a lot of places he could go though, so I guess we'll just wait and see. It would be great for the troops.
Old 11-22-04, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Thor Simpson
How should I know?

It would be unfortunate if all the whining / plastic turkey comments about last year played a role in whether he went or not. Not sure where these people are coming from or what they hope to accomplish.

There are a lot of places he could go though, so I guess we'll just wait and see. It would be great for the troops.
Bringing the troops home would be great for the troops.
Old 11-22-04, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by CRM114
Bringing the troops home would be great for the troops.
Agreed. Screw Saddam and screw Zarqawi for their continued presence there.

But what are the odds of that happening this Thanksgiving?

A free Iraq with no insurgents on Thanksgiving would be a nice present too.

Maybe a visit from the President would be good as well, since neither of the above is going to happen.
Old 11-22-04, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Insurgents as in people fighting for their country like you or I would do if we were occupied? The majority of insurgents aren't terrorists or al-Qaida. But that doesn't fit into the Bush doctrine of kicking Muslim ass.

Plastic Turkey. Mission Accomplished.

Last edited by CRM114; 11-22-04 at 02:44 PM.
Old 11-22-04, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes, Bush stutters and Michael Moore is fat. Wonderful way to deal with the current situation.

<i>edit: removed off-topic rant about pulling troops out of Iraq</i>

Back on topic, Bush could show up with a plush turkey named "Gobbles" and I would still think it was a good idea.
Old 11-22-04, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Stutters? Never noticed that. Incompetent buffoon? Yes, that I'll agree with.
Old 11-22-04, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Insurgents as in people fighting for their country like you or I would do if we were occupied? The majority of insurgents aren't terrorists or al-Qaida. But that doesn't fit into the Bush doctrine of kicking Muslim ass.

Insurgents are generally rebelling against civil authority. That might be considered fighting for your country, and it may very well not be.

I don't know whether a majority of the insurgents are terrorists or not or al-Qaida or not. I would expect that many were members of the Republican Guard who escaped the U. S. offensive.

I do know that they are, most likely, all Moslems. Therefore, that does fit into the Bush doctrine, doesn't it?
Old 11-22-04, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Plastic Turkey. Mission Accomplished. [/B]
I dont know about YOU, but I wouldnt be decapitating aid workers with dull knives. So, NO, they are NOT fighting occupation like you or I would...plus, if we were fighting occupation, why would we be purposly trying to disrupt elections, the one thing that would help the occupiers leave quicker?

Ummm...now why would that be?...Umm...OH I GOT IT! Because your point is BS! Thats why!

So I think Thanksgiving is out, Christmas is in.
Old 11-22-04, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Tommy Ceez
I dont know about YOU, but I wouldnt be decapitating aid workers with dull knives. So, NO, they are NOT fighting occupation like you or I would...plus, if we were fighting occupation, why would we be purposly trying to disrupt elections, the one thing that would help the occupiers leave quicker?

Ummm...now why would that be?...Umm...OH I GOT IT! Because your point is BS! Thats why!

So I think Thanksgiving is out, Christmas is in.
You fall into line so nicely with what the administration tells you. They tell you the insurgency is all al-Qaida and they are all chopping off heads. In reality, there are a loose band of terrorists intermingled with and fighting along with ordinary citizens against occupation. I suppose if this wasn't the case, then we could leave and the peace loving citizens could take care of the terrorists themselves. But this is NOT the case and we are merely beating down the opposition to ensure an American puppet government.
Old 11-22-04, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk God

I seriously doubt if most of the 'insurgents' are fighting for their country. Most are fighting for a return of the way it use to be. Under Saddam, they had it pretty good. The prospect is that they won't have it so good with the new government.
Old 11-22-04, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Come on guys, this thread is about the possibility of a Thanksgiving/holiday visit. Not about Moore or whomever our troops are fighting.
Old 11-22-04, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Can he run for a 3rd term?

Seriously though. I doubt it. But if he does, then I'll be surprised.
Old 11-22-04, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Re-Elected. Mission Accomplished.
fixed

The insurgents are fighting for what? They don't want to have a "1 person = 1 vote" society. If we were invaded by some foreign body, and we had no freedom, and were told that they were just getting rid of the government and were going to hold nation wide elections, I don't think I would be an insurgent.

However, if I believed that women shouldn't speak, 14 year old boys should be beaten to death for breaking Ramadan, etc. I might fight to keep that alive. But I wouldn't defend it, personally.
Old 11-22-04, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Ranger
Come on guys, this thread is about the possibility of a Thanksgiving/holiday visit. Not about Moore or whomever our troops are fighting.
Just how extensively do you wish for this simple yes or no question of the topic of the thread to expounded on?

A little branching out is sometimes necessary. It certainly is with this topic.
Old 11-22-04, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by kvrdave
fixed

The insurgents are fighting for what? They don't want to have a "1 person = 1 vote" society. If we were invaded by some foreign body, and we had no freedom, and were told that they were just getting rid of the government and were going to hold nation wide elections, I don't think I would be an insurgent.

However, if I believed that women shouldn't speak, 14 year old boys should be beaten to death for breaking Ramadan, etc. I might fight to keep that alive. But I wouldn't defend it, personally.
OK, suppose we were a totalitarian society and the Chinese came to liberate us (bear with me). The Chinese topple our government, install their own hand-picked temporary leadership, and things get MUCH worse than they ever were. Then suppose you saw images of Chinese torturing our people, stacking them in pyramids, or shooting some American dead as he lay on the ground wounded. Suppose you see these Chinese exerting their authority on YOUR street - pushing people around and what not. You wouldn't HATE those occupiers with a passion?
Old 11-22-04, 04:04 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Well, as long as I don't see them putting women's panties on the heads of American prisioners, I wouldn't be decapitating anyone(esp. aid workers). I also wouldn't be torturing american taxi drivers who were trying to make ends meet.
Old 11-22-04, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by bhk
Well, as long as I don't see them putting women's panties on the heads of American prisioners, I wouldn't be decapitating anyone(esp. aid workers). I also wouldn't be torturing american taxi drivers who were trying to make ends meet.
You don't think any of those things would happen in the US? You live in Chicago right? - turn on the damn news.
Old 11-22-04, 05:05 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

You don't think any of those things would happen in the US?
The topic went from "YOU" to "things would happen."
Old 11-22-04, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, this is way too off track now.
Old 11-22-04, 06:39 PM
Banned

You fall into line so nicely with what the administration tells you. They tell you the insurgency is all al-Qaida and they are all chopping off heads. In reality, there are a loose band of terrorists intermingled with and fighting along with ordinary citizens against occupation. I suppose if this wasn't the case, then we could leave and the peace loving citizens could take care of the terrorists themselves. But this is NOT the case and we are merely beating down the opposition to ensure an American puppet government.
You have got to be kidding. Yeah things were so much better under Saddam where if you were killed for speaking your mind you had no idea if your wife or children would be taken, raped, and killed as well.

Let's not forget the mass graves that were uncovered. And what about the Kurds? They are muslim too. and why would "ordinary citizens" attack other "ordinary citizens." For example, why attach Iraqi polieceman? They would be an Iraqi authority.

You shouldn't believe everything you hear on CNN.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.