Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Report: Hasan believed to be dead.

Old 11-16-04, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Report: Hassan believed to be dead.

Hasan believed to be dead..

Click above for full article.

Video May Show CARE Director Being Killed

(AP) - Al-Jazeera television said Tuesday it received a videotape showing the slaying of a woman believed to be hostage aid worker Margaret Hassan. Hassan's family in London said they believed the longtime director of CARE in Iraq was dead. The station initially said it would air parts of the video, but then a spokesman said it would not. "We don't show acts of killing," said Jihad Ballout. "We've never done it before, outside war."

Last edited by TheNightFlier; 11-16-04 at 05:56 PM.
Old 11-16-04, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Re: Report: Hasan believed to be dead.

Originally posted by TheNightFlier
"We've never done it before, outside war."
That's a complete load of crap.
Old 11-16-04, 04:27 PM

I agree w/ GZ, I can't help but wonder had the US been directly responsible for her death if AJ would have interrupted their regular program for a news flash/update. I recently watched Control Room and found it a bit disingenuous/hypocritical they were criticizing the US reporters for doing things they themselves were doing (wrt jingoistic reporting)

WRT the topic itself though I think this just goes to show the type of people we are dealing w/. This woman has done nothing but help the Iraqies and she is killed simply because she is not one of them.
Old 11-16-04, 04:29 PM
X
Administrator

"Jihad Ballout"? Nice name.
Old 11-16-04, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by General Zod
That's a complete load of crap.
Amen.
Originally posted by nemein
WRT the topic itself though I think this just goes to show the type of people we are dealing w/. This woman has done nothing but help the Iraqies and she is killed simply because she is not one of them.
She was also married to an Iraqi and had both British and Iraqi citizenship.

And though this means absolutely nothing:
Al-Jazeera reported on Nov. 2 that Hassan's captors threatened to turn her over to followers of Jordanian militant Abu Musab al-Zarqawi.

Three days later, al-Zarqawi's al-Qaida in Iraq group called for Hassan's release and promised to free her if she fell into their hands, according to a message posted on a Web site known for publishing messages from Islamic militant groups.
Also, she was shot instead of being beheaded.

but I know all this means nothing since she should still be alive...
Old 11-16-04, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Phew. Man, that's really upsetting.

Damn. Fucking hell.

ETA: I'm getting more and more angry every second that I think about this. It's really one of the most appalling, disgraceful things I've ever heard. Goddamnit!

Last edited by Gil Jawetz; 11-16-04 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-16-04, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by X
"Jihad Ballout"? Nice name.
I was going to say something like that.

I wish people would stop changing the subject! Let's get back to talking about the Marine who killed an "unarmed and wounded" man
Old 11-16-04, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Primitive savages.
Old 11-16-04, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hopefully this draws the right kind of response from people.
Old 11-16-04, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Thor Simpson
Hopefully this draws the right kind of response from people.
I'm sure it will be ingored in the Arab/Muslim world.
Old 11-16-04, 06:53 PM
Suspended

Sounds weird, but thank God she was shot. After viewing a few of these beheadings, believe me, you would want to be shot.

Also, this means the woman who's torso was found in Fallujah, may not be either of the kidnapped women, which means just who was this woman found?
Old 11-16-04, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Michael Savage was right we should have bombed Fallujah then taken Tanks and finished the job. Freakin Savages
Old 11-16-04, 07:14 PM
Banned

OK, where's the outrage coming from certain members here?
Waiting........................... hell, they might even condone the act. Only the US is capable of committing atrocities, according to the same members.
Old 11-16-04, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Myster X
Waiting........................... hell, they might even condone the act. Only the US is capable of committing atrocities, according to the same members.
Wow. Might as well set the Straw Man on fire while you're at it.
Old 11-16-04, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm all for the complete cluster bombing of Fallujah and any other of these militant strongholds. I'm tired of seeing American soldiers killed in house to house fighting to try and take places like this. They shouldn't even enter Fallujah until every building is leveled.

As far as that soldier that shot the unarmed Iraqi. If I was under the pressure those soldiers are under and dealing with people as filled with hatred as these insurgents I would shoot first and ask questions later as well. This is a war and war is never pretty. Lots of innocent people die and yes some soldiers crack under the pressure. We knew that when we started this thing. We could solve this problem better by destroying these insurgents as fast as possible.

How is that for a liberal opinion of war? No American soldier has done anything to the level of these animals. Laughing at some dudes tiny penis does not compare to beheadings of civilians.
Old 11-16-04, 07:26 PM
Suspended

BigDaddy & darkside,

The reason why we haven't done this is because Iraq needs voters for the election. The cities are to remain (as much as possible) intact.

If you think about it, destroying a city is not a way to get public support anyway, with or without an election coming in January.

What this military action goal seems to be, is merely pushing the insurgents out of cities and into the hills until the election. After the election, I'm hoping the military will step-up efforts to completely cleaning house.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 11-16-04 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-16-04, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DVD Polizei
BigDaddy & darkside,

The reason why we haven't done this is because Iraq needs voters for the election. The cities are to remain (as much as possible) intact.
That makes perfect sense, but seeing the things the soldiers are having to go through is frustrating to watch. We have all this technology, but the only thing that works against low tech enemies like these is manpower due to the restrictions our military is under. A very tough war to fight when human lives are your main weapon.
Old 11-16-04, 09:09 PM
Suspended

It's definitely difficult watching things unfold the way they are. For those who are refusing to fight who are in the military, I hope they get what's coming to them. Yeah, it's a bitch of a job, but, you signed up for it, for God sakes.
Old 11-16-04, 11:50 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Mordred
Wow. Might as well set the Straw Man on fire while you're at it.
I ain't lying either.
Old 11-16-04, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Myster X
Please...
Old 11-17-04, 12:00 AM
Banned

Originally posted by eXcentris
Please...
see one post above yours
Old 11-17-04, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Sadly, as we knew, these are animals. They need to be taken out of population as quickly as possible. That's what you do with animals that get the taste of killing.
Old 11-17-04, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Read my lips

I hope those a$$holes die a painful death.....

More and more i think the rules of war dont apply to these bastards.......

I hope they suffer when death comes their way
Old 11-17-04, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Iraqis Angry, Distraught at Aid Worker's Murder

6 minutes ago Top Stories - Reuters

By Mussab al-Khairalla

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Iraqis reacted with anger and disbelief Wednesday to news that British-Iraqi aid worker Margaret Hassan, who worked in Iraq (news - web sites) for decades before being kidnapped a month ago, had been killed by her captors.

Irish-born Hassan, 59, moved to Iraq more than 30 years ago after marrying an Iraqi engineer. She learned Arabic and became a pillar of support in local communities, often helping the needy in the face of opposition during Saddam Hussein (news - web sites)'s regime.

Those who knew her, worked with her or were helped by her described Hassan as a formidable woman who went about her work with determination. She helped the disabled, the orphaned and those without water or sanitation calmly and efficiently.

One of the hospitals she regularly supported was a spinal cord clinic in Baghdad run by Qayder al-Chalabi, who said her loss was a huge blow to all Iraqis.

The killers "made a very big mistake. This was the wrong person," he told Reuters Wednesday.

"I cannot imagine that these things could happen to her because she was a very humanitarian person. She felt our suffering, she understood the suffering of the Iraqi people.

"We need to admire and remember her. We must have a ceremony every year to remember her," he said, adding that he believed a statue should be erected in her honor.

Hassan was kidnapped Oct. 19 as she was being driven to work in Baghdad, where she was the director of the local operation of aid organization Care International.

A video released to Arabic news channel Al Jazeera showed a hooded figure shooting a blindfolded woman in the head.

Hassan's husband and British foreign office officials have said they believe the video tape is "probably genuine" and her family has said they believe Margaret Hassan is dead.

'SAVAGE BEASTS'

Militant Islamists have waged a campaign of kidnappings and killings to try to force U.S.-led troops and foreigners to leave Iraq. More than 120 foreigners have been kidnapped in Iraq since April and more than three dozen have been killed.

If confirmed, Hassan would be the first foreign woman killed.

Several foreigners are still believed to be held, including at least one other woman, Polish-Iraqi Teresa Borcz Khalifa. Others include two American men and two French journalists.

"These people are savage beasts," said a man working close to the now shuttered Care offices in Baghdad. He would not give his name for fear of reprisals.

"The whole idea of kidnapping is completely wrong. If people want to resist the occupation they can fight American troops, not kill Iraqis or innocent foreigners," he said.

A campaign to gather information on Hassan's whereabouts was recently launched in Baghdad, with a picture of Hassan holding a sick Iraqi child posted on billboards around the city.

The billboards read: "Margaret Hassan is truly a daughter of Iraq ... She is against the occupation."

"She came to help us and give us prosperity," said Hashim Hassan, a 41-year-old security guard at a surgery. "These terrorists are outsiders ruining Iraq's image. Iraqis would not destroy their own country."

Unemployed Yusuf Ali, 35, said attacking or kidnapping aid workers was a development that would only harm the nation.

"The enemies of Iraq are attacking power stations, oil pipelines and kidnapping foreigners and aid workers at a time when we need them most. Aid workers would be flowing into Falluja right now if they didn't fear decapitation," he said.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess they are feeling it to.... hopefully.... the iraqis will revolt against the terrorists and show the true nature of this regime
Old 11-17-04, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.