Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

BBC Election Coverage -- Fairly Unbalanced

Old 10-28-04, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

BBC Election Coverage -- Fairly Unbalanced

WTF? Don't they even make a pretense?
Brits: Is this really the Beeb's election coverage team?
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,136830,00.html

Talk About Bias
Wednesday, October 27, 2004
By David Asman

With news organizations like CBS and ABC churning out almost twice as many negative stories about Bush than John Kerry, you may think that our media is biased against the incumbent.

But the BBC (search) sees it exactly reversed. BBC World Service and Global News director Richard Sambrook was at Columbia University yesterday preaching to budding journalists about the U.S. media’s bias “in favor” of George Bush and the war in Iraq. He scolded the U.S. media for "wrapping themselves in the flag" and not asking the tough questions about the Bush administration's reasons for going to war in Iraq.

So what is BBC’s view of fair and balanced? Well, the BBC just unveiled details of its U.S. election coverage.

Headlining the coverage is an election special featuring “Fahrenheit 9/11” director Michael Moore (search). Joining Mr. Moore will be former Clinton adviser Sidney Blumenthal, former Clinton secretary of State Madeleine Albright, and the militantly anti-Bush billionaire, George Soros (search). Fair and balanced?

Monty Python could not have written a sillier script.

And that’s the Asman Observer.
Old 10-28-04, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Are they going to interview the Minister of Silly Walks for his opinions as well?

Also, I have significant problems with not laughing at something called the Asman Observer. edit: for OldDude

Last edited by weargle; 10-28-04 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-28-04, 11:54 AM

With news organizations like CBS and ABC churning out almost twice as many negative stories about Bush than John Kerry, you may think that our media are biased against the incumbent.
Fixed. Shit like that really annoys the hell out of me. You'd think that people in the news media would know that 'media' is plural...
Old 10-28-04, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Take it first hand from me..... I am in London and i watch the news alot here in the UK..... and the news media here sucks....It is so unbalanced.... just the other day , they were showing a special on how bad the war went and they said and i quote "F 9/11 should be in every american household"....

I am in hell people.... LOL....

But yeah it is really one sided here
Old 10-28-04, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by weargle
Also, I have significant problems with not laughing at something called the Asman Observer.
You're deflecting. The question is simple. Has the BBC announced an election coverage team of Michael Moore, Sidney Blumenthal, Madeleine Albright, and , George Soros, or have they announced a difference team and the Fox reporter is lying?
Old 10-28-04, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Um, why is he concerned about balanced election coverage in another country?

This is all he's "observing"? Why, I didn't know there was so little to "observe"... slow "observing" day, I suppose.
Old 10-28-04, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think it is newsworthy, as the Beeb has been a respected news source (in the past), generally considered fair. More recently, their fairness has been called into question and they have appeared pretty biased. If this is their election coverage team, I am ready to throw in the towel and erase them from my list of favorite links for news sources.

But I notice several liberals using the technique of mocking the reporter and his report to deflect news that is "troubling" to their side. Does anyone have a sound argument that this action by the BBC could represent responible reporting.
Old 10-28-04, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Originally posted by OldDude
You're joking.
fixed
Old 10-28-04, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Headlining the coverage is an election special featuring “Fahrenheit 9/11” director Michael Moore (search). Joining Mr. Moore will be former Clinton adviser Sidney Blumenthal, former Clinton secretary of State Madeleine Albright, and the militantly anti-Bush billionaire, George Soros (search). Fair and balanced?
It's about as fair and balanced as having Bill O'Reilly cover the news on their end.

XXXXX DRUDGE REPORT EXCLUSIVE XXXXX 10/28/04 12:25PM
KETTLE IS BLACK, ALLEGES POT

- David Stein
Old 10-28-04, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by sfsdfd
It's about as fair and balanced as having Bill O'Reilly cover the news on their end.

- David Stein
good stuff
Old 10-28-04, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Headlining the coverage is an election special featuring “Fahrenheit 9/11” director Michael Moore (search). Joining Mr. Moore will be former Clinton adviser Sidney Blumenthal, former Clinton secretary of State Madeleine Albright, and the militantly anti-Bush billionaire, George Soros (search).
Is it gonna be on BBC America?? If so, it may rival CBS News for my viewing pleasure.

BTW, talk about

circle.jerk.
Old 10-28-04, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk God

- David Stein
You are comparing Bill O'Reilly to the BBC?
Old 10-28-04, 01:05 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Bill O'Reilly over and over says he is a news commentator. BBC News isn't.

Last edited by bhk; 10-28-04 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-28-04, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

- David Stein
O'Reilly covers the news? I thought he had a talk show.
Old 10-28-04, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Here are some facts:

BBC World lines up Michael Moore for election coverage
Staff, Campaign 11:00 25-10-2004
LONDON - BBC World, the BBC's global commercial service, has unveiled details of its US election coverage.

The 24-hour news and information channel will provide analysis over the next two weeks, with live election night coverage fronted by David Dimbleby.

BBC World will also broadcast a special edition of 'Question Time' featuring film-maker and author Michael Moore, columnist Richard Littlejohn and former Bill Clinton adviser Sidney Blumenthal.

Other discussion programmes feature guests such as Madeleine Albright, George Soros and former CIA director James Woolsey.

Election night coverage, on November 2, will include a live six-hour results programme including US and international reaction. Hourly news bulletins will support this coverage.

BBC World is broadcast in 200 countries worldwide and reaches 25m households.
http://www.brandrepublic.com/mediabu...gin=MB25102004

BBC World to present 'unrivalled coverage' of US elections
Pakistan Times Foreign Desk

LONDON (UK): BBC World will be presenting a global perspective of the US Presidential election over the next fortnight, with extensive analysis of the issues surrounding the candidates' campaigns and live election night coverage fronted by the highly respected broadcaster David Dimbleby, an official press release wired to 'Pakistan Times' says Thursday.

High points include Election USA: The Debate, a major political discussion at Harvard University with guests as diverse as Madeleine Albright, George Soros and Bill O'Reilly, and a special edition of the Question Time panel programme from Miami, featuring Michael Moore and Sidney Blumenthal.

BBC World will also draw on the enormous resources of BBC News to offer extensive election night coverage on Tuesday 2nd November, as David Dimbleby presents a live six-hour results programme with reaction from within the US and internationally. The channel will follow President George W. Bush and his Democratic rival, John Kerry, on polling day. BBC correspondents will report from the states with the most significant electoral battles and there will be detailed assessments from the BBC's veteran political analyst Peter Snow.

In addition to these programmes, BBC World's Katty Kay will lead continuing coverage of the US Presidential election during the channel's comprehensive hourly news bulletins. Katty, who is based in the US, is one of the faces of the BBC World News bulletins that are co-presented from Washington and London at 2200 and 2300 GMT each weekday evening.

Filmed on location at the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University in Massachusetts, Election USA: The Debate is a two-part programme that features two panels of leading politicians, thinkers and opinion-formers, voicing strong views and clashing over fundamental principles in front of a voluble audience of 600. Moderated by the BBC's former Washington correspondent Stephen Sackur, the guests are:

Part 1: America & The World

* Madeleine Albright, former US Secretary of State and US Ambassador to the UN
* Graham Allison, Assistant Secretary of Defence under President Clinton
* Helle Dale, Director, Foreign Policy and Defence Studies at the Heritage Foundation
* Frank Gaffney, former Deputy to the Assistant Secretary of Defence, Richard Perle
* Richard Holbrooke, former US Ambassador to the UN
* Clare Short, British MP and former Secretary of State for International Development
* George Soros, one of the world's richest men and anti-Bush campaigner
* Shibley Telhami, former UN adviser and expert on the Middle East
* James Woolsey, former Director of the CIA.

Part 2: America At Home

* Bob Barr, National Rifle Association director and former Republican Congressman
* Sidney Blumenthal, journalist, author and former senior adviser to President Clinton
* Chris Edley, Dean of Law at UC Berkeley and former senior economic adviser
* David Ellwood, Dean of the Kennedy School of Government
* Vartan Gregorian, President of the influential Carnegie Corporation of New York
* Stephen Moore, economist and President of the action group Club for Growth
* Bill O'Reilly, outspoken and controversial host of Fox News' The O'Reilly Factor
* Mike Rogers, Republican Congressman for Michigan and loyal Bush supporter.

David Dimbleby is in Miami to host a special edition of Question Time USA, BBC World's panel discussion programme. Politicians and commentators will take questions from an audience as US voters prepare to go to the polls. They include:

* Michael Moore, journalist and creator of films including Fahrenheit 9/11
* Sidney Blumenthal, as above
* David Frum, former speech writer for President George W. Bush
* Richard Littlejohn, controversial British journalist and talk show presenter

President George W. Bush has pointed to his record on the "war on terror" as a reason why voters should re-elect him. Panorama: Families At War asks what the families who lost loved ones on 11th September think of the US military action in Iraq and the failure to catch the al-Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden. Jane Corbin is in New York to find out if they believe President Bush has indeed made the world safer for them.

And in Pizza, Popcorn & The President, Rageh Omaar - the BBC correspondent who was based in Baghdad during last year's war in Iraq and is most widely associated with coverage of the conflict - travels through the American heartlands to talk to voters. He discusses security, employment and the economy, along with the effect that the military action has had on the USA's recent history.

BBC World, the BBC's commercially funded international 24-hour news and information channel, is owned and operated by BBC World Ltd, a member of the BBC's commercial group of companies. BBC World is available in more than 200 countries and territories worldwide, and reaches nearly 256 million households (114 million 24-hour homes) and more than one million hotel rooms. BBC World launched in its present format in 1995 and is funded by advertising and subscription.
http://pakistantimes.net/2004/10/23/top9.htm

Helle Dale? Richard Holbrooke? Bob Barr? David Frum? Bill O'Reilley!?! Geez, could they be any more biased in favor of the right?

Last edited by JasonF; 10-28-04 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-28-04, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't get the whole "The media is biased because they show more bad stuff than good stuff about Bush" argument. That's akin to saying ESPN are are biased against the Miami Dolphins because they spent more time this year discussing the games Miami lost, compared to the one game they won.
Old 10-28-04, 01:42 PM

I don't get the whole "The media is biased because they show more bad stuff than good stuff about Bush" argument. That's akin to saying ESPN are are biased against the Miami Dolphins because they spent more time this year discussing the games Miami lost, compared to the one game they won.
The problem w/ that analogy is that one is a verifiable fact (win/lose record) the other is a judgement call (good/bad news coverage). If determining what was good/bad news about a person was a easy as winning or losing a game politics would be a whole lot easier. To put it another way say ESPN spent more time talking about the personal life of some sort of sports star and some of the more controversial things he's done. Would you say they are biased against that person?
Old 10-28-04, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by Bugg
It's a little different with politics than with sports. You can argue over who's the better quarterback, or who's got the best pitching staff, but in the end there are quantifiable, agreed upon ways to settle these arguments. In politics it's not close to being that simple. Showing an event that in and of itself is neutral, a news outlet can present it in positive or negative ways. Also, candidates don't get to 'compete' in the way athletes do. It's not like we can see how John Kerry would have handled 9/11, what the economy would be like if he were President, etc. We're dealing with incomplete information. Add to that the fact that we can't even agree on how much influence officeholders have over things like the economy or the behavior of other countries and organizations.
Old 10-28-04, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Pretty amazing that the BBC even covers the US elections. Remember when we covered their elections? Me either.

I guess I still think that a foreign news organizations can kiss my ass if they think I give two shits about their opinion on our election.
Old 10-28-04, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by SunMonkey
O'Reilly covers the news?
No, but look at the story:
Headlining the coverage is an election special featuring Fahrenheit 9/11 director Michael Moore (search). Joining Mr. Moore will be former Clinton adviser Sidney Blumenthal, former Clinton secretary of State Madeleine Albright, and the militantly anti-Bush billionaire, George Soros (search). Fair and balanced?
Moore isn't a newscaster. Neither are any of the other people mentioned. It's not supposed to be a newscast; it's an "election special." I can easily see O'Reilly and Sean Hannity covering Fox News's version of the same thing.

- David Stein
Old 10-28-04, 01:51 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Moore isn't a newscaster. Neither are any of the other people mentioned. It's not supposed to be a newscast; it's an "election special." I can easily see O'Reilly and Sean Hannity covering Fox News's version of the same thing.
Except even Fox News doesn't do that. They don't have people that are left and even more left. Usually there is more diversity of opinion.
Old 10-28-04, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by kvrdave
Pretty amazing that the BBC even covers the US elections. Remember when we covered their elections? Me either.

I guess I still think that a foreign news organizations can kiss my ass if they think I give two shits about their opinion on our election.
It's not really that surprising to me. The US influences the state of Britain quite a bit. Plus, Brits are a lot more international-minded than us Americans, by and large.

The irregular nature of the British election cycle means that US coverage is going to be spotty, but C-SPAN covers it well enough. Also, and don't take this personally, but I doubt the BBC cares what you think of their coverage of our election. They're covering it for the benefit of their viewers, most of whom live close to 6000 miles away from you. They can choose who they use as commentators, knowing better than any of us here in the US who their viewers want to see talking about the election. If they thought people in Sheffield or Stoke-on-Trent would be fascinated by Newt Gingrich's insights on the election, they'd try to line him up for their broadcast, I'm sure.
Old 10-28-04, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Given that, I ammend my statement to "1 shit".
Old 10-28-04, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it's more like a "big-ass pile of dookie"
Old 10-28-04, 01:55 PM

Is that better or worse? I don't speak 'rural'...

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.