Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Political Film
Reload this Page >

Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed (2008 documentary starring Ben Stein)

Political Film Discuss Documentary + Political Films

Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed (2008 documentary starring Ben Stein)

Old 08-27-09, 11:30 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
dhmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Kissimmee, Florida
Posts: 7,019
Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed (2008 documentary starring Ben Stein)

Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed (2008)

Website: http://www.expelledthemovie.com

Trailers: http://www.expelledthemovie.com/video.php


Main counter-site for this movie:
http://www.expelledexposed.com


"Scientific American" article on the movie:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...views-expelled

which also has "Six Things in 'Expelled' That Ben Stein Doesn't Want You to Know..."
http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...nt-you-to-know
dhmac is offline  
Old 08-28-09, 12:17 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,201
Re: Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed (2008 documentary starring Ben Stein)

Haven't seen it, but based on the "things Ben Stein Doesn't Want You to Know..." it sounds very similar to An Inconvenient Truth, in terms of twisting to the agenda.
kvrdave is offline  
Old 08-28-09, 10:02 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
dhmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Kissimmee, Florida
Posts: 7,019
Re: Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed (2008 documentary starring Ben Stein)

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Haven't seen it, but based on the "things Ben Stein Doesn't Want You to Know..." it sounds very similar to An Inconvenient Truth, in terms of twisting to the agenda.
They aren't similar at all, but that movie needs a thread too so I'll create it.
dhmac is offline  
Old 08-28-09, 09:23 PM
  #4  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 74
Re: Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed (2008 documentary starring Ben Stein)

I don't think KVR is referring to the subject matter, I think he's speaking to the way facts are at the very least distorted in both "documentaries". That the film makers in both cases have an agenda and are sticking to it.

P.S. Can we add a rule that limits the number of links that can be posted here? I simply don't have time to view them all.
Disc Jockey is offline  
Old 08-28-09, 09:32 PM
  #5  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 292
Re: Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed (2008 documentary starring Ben Stein)

The reviews:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/expe...gence_allowed/

Expelled from Expelled:

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2008/03/expelled.php
Deep_lurk is offline  
Old 08-29-09, 12:05 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
dhmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Kissimmee, Florida
Posts: 7,019
Re: Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed (2008 documentary starring Ben Stein)

Originally Posted by Disc Jockey View Post
I don't think KVR is referring to the subject matter, I think he's speaking to the way facts are at the very least distorted in both "documentaries". That the film makers in both cases have an agenda and are sticking to it.
One (An Inconvenient Truth) makes a presentation using actual scientific data on climate and then draws conclusions, which are at times extreme conclusions, from the data. The other (Expelled) attacks science from the start and then makes outrageous claims using quote-mining and dishonest editing to claim that the scientific community of biologists is basically comprised of Nazis trying to oppress freedom (and, as a side effect, also kill Jews). These movies are not similar in how they are put together at all.
dhmac is offline  
Old 08-29-09, 08:43 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
JohnSlider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Detroit, Michigan PSN: JohnSlider
Posts: 3,507
Re: Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed (2008 documentary starring Ben Stein)

No intelligence sounds about right.
JohnSlider is offline  
Old 08-29-09, 04:40 PM
  #8  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
Re: Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed (2008 documentary starring Ben Stein)

Originally Posted by Deep_lurk View Post
I remember reading this when Myers first posted it. Hilarious that they singled him out and then let Richard Dawkins in. So perfect.
Supermallet is offline  
Old 08-31-09, 04:50 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: So Cal
Posts: 7,072
Re: Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed (2008 documentary starring Ben Stein)

This is the dumbest "documentary" that i've ever seen. I found it appalling that they would associate evolution with the holocaust. Which is funny when you consider how conservative Christians never want to own up to the past 2000+ years of religious warfare.
Superboy is offline  
Old 08-31-09, 08:32 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Posts: 30,004
Re: Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed (2008 documentary starring Ben Stein)

I did not see this film because I knew it had to be bad. I may see it to see just how bad it is.

It's sad that Ben Stein, whom I like in a lot of ways, would perpetrate something like this. I suspect he wanted to tweak the sensibilities of some people whose opinions he didn't care for for a variety of reasons (liberals?), chose the wrong venue and harmed his own credibility.

Last edited by movielib; 08-31-09 at 09:26 AM.
movielib is offline  
Old 08-31-09, 08:44 AM
  #11  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,825
Re: Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed (2008 documentary starring Ben Stein)

Originally Posted by movielib View Post
It's sad that Ben Stein, whom I like in a lot of ways, would perpetrate something like this.
Agreed. Although I've always disagreed with Stein on many political issues, before this film at least I had a great deal of respect and esteem for him. This film lowered both of those a great deal.
Groucho is offline  
Old 08-31-09, 12:44 PM
  #12  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 292
Re: Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed (2008 documentary starring Ben Stein)

More recent Ben Stein news:

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2...ld_man_cry.php
Deep_lurk is offline  
Old 08-31-09, 01:20 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
dhmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Kissimmee, Florida
Posts: 7,019
Re: Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed (2008 documentary starring Ben Stein)

For those with NetFlix accounts, this sad excuse for a documentary is available on "Watch Instantly" online viewing.
dhmac is offline  
Old 08-31-09, 01:31 PM
  #14  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 34,609
Re: Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed (2008 documentary starring Ben Stein)

It's not worth watching. While I possibly agree with the premise, the "documentary" blows.
Trevor is online now  
Old 08-31-09, 05:36 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
DeputyDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 14,081
Re: Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed (2008 documentary starring Ben Stein)

Originally Posted by Superboy View Post
This is the dumbest "documentary" that i've ever seen. I found it appalling that they would associate evolution with the holocaust. Which is funny when you consider how conservative Christians never want to own up to the past 2000+ years of religious warfare.
I haven't seen the film but a distortion and misunderstanding of Darwinism lead to Eugenics which in turn was used to justify a lot of the atrocities in the Soviet Union and Nazi Germany.
DeputyDave is offline  
Old 08-31-09, 06:20 PM
  #16  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 292
Re: Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed (2008 documentary starring Ben Stein)

Trying to refute Darwinism with Hitler is like trying to refute Newtonism with a plane crash.
Deep_lurk is offline  
Old 08-31-09, 06:37 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
DeputyDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 14,081
Re: Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed (2008 documentary starring Ben Stein)

Originally Posted by Deep_lurk View Post
Trying to refute Darwinism with Hitler is like trying to refute Newtonism with a plane crash.
Who's trying to refute it? The fact that I am an atheist who believes in evolution does not make my statement any less true.
DeputyDave is offline  
Old 08-31-09, 06:42 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: So Cal
Posts: 7,072
Re: Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed (2008 documentary starring Ben Stein)

Originally Posted by DeputyDave View Post
I haven't seen the film but a distortion and misunderstanding of Darwinism lead to Eugenics which in turn was used to justify a lot of the atrocities in the Soviet Union and Nazi Germany.

It's not like nothing like what happened in Nazi Germany, the Soviet Union, the Eastern Bloc, the Middle East, Asia, Africa, South America, North America, and pretty much everywhere in the world except antarctica happened before Darwin wrote The Origin of Species. There has been a long history of ethnic cleansing since the dawn of man. It even goes so far as the theory that homo sapiens actually killed off cro magnon and other "cousins" of man.

Last edited by Superboy; 08-31-09 at 06:48 PM.
Superboy is offline  
Old 08-31-09, 06:52 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
 
DeputyDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 14,081
Re: Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed (2008 documentary starring Ben Stein)

Originally Posted by Superboy View Post
Oh, thank you for that stunning display of your holistic understanding of history.

BTW, nothing like what happened in Nazi Germany, the Soviet Union, the Eastern Bloc, the Middle East, Asia, Africa, South America, North America, and pretty much everywhere in the world except antarctica happened before Darwin wrote The Origin of Species. It was alllll because of him.
I never said that it didn't. I also never said that Darwinism caused any of those things I was merely pointing out that there is a legitimate connection. I have stated that I respect Darwin's work and accept evolution as the most likely theory. Would the Holocaust have happened without Darwin's theories? Very most likely. Hitler would have most likely grasped at another justification.
DeputyDave is offline  
Old 08-31-09, 07:10 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: So Cal
Posts: 7,072
Re: Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed (2008 documentary starring Ben Stein)

Originally Posted by DeputyDave View Post
I never said that it didn't. I also never said that Darwinism caused any of those things I was merely pointing out that there is a legitimate connection. I have stated that I respect Darwin's work and accept evolution as the most likely theory. Would the Holocaust have happened without Darwin's theories? Very most likely. Hitler would have most likely grasped at another justification.
Sorry, I just realized how vitriolic my first post sounded, because I realized that you weren't behind that idea, just stating it.

I think that associating the Holocaust with Darwinism is just stupid. It really doesn't take into account any of the factors that led up to what happened. And I don't believe Hitler actually ever mentioned Darwinism as his justification.
Superboy is offline  
Old 08-31-09, 07:10 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: So Cal
Posts: 7,072
Re: Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed (2008 documentary starring Ben Stein)

Originally Posted by movielib View Post
I did not see this film because I knew it had to be bad. I may see it to see just how bad it is.

It's sad that Ben Stein, whom I like in a lot of ways, would perpetrate something like this. I suspect he wanted to tweak the sensibilities of some people whose opinions he didn't care for for a variety of reasons (liberals?), chose the wrong venue and harmed his own credibility.
I haven't agreed with anything he's said since his cameo in Ghostbusters 2.
Superboy is offline  
Old 08-31-09, 07:11 PM
  #22  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 292
Re: Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed (2008 documentary starring Ben Stein)

Originally Posted by DeputyDave View Post
Who's trying to refute it?
Ben Stein. Using Hitler.
Deep_lurk is offline  
Old 08-31-09, 07:47 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Posts: 30,004
Re: Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed (2008 documentary starring Ben Stein)

Originally Posted by Superboy View Post
It's not like nothing like what happened in Nazi Germany, the Soviet Union, the Eastern Bloc, the Middle East, Asia, Africa, South America, North America, and pretty much everywhere in the world except antarctica happened before Darwin wrote The Origin of Species. There has been a long history of ethnic cleansing since the dawn of man. It even goes so far as the theory that homo sapiens actually killed off cro magnon and other "cousins" of man.
Cro-Magnons were Homo sapiens. Some think so were Neanderthals. They are sometimes referred to as Homo sapiens sapiens and Homo sapiens neanderthalensis respectively.
movielib is offline  
Old 08-31-09, 10:44 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
DeputyDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 14,081
Re: Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed (2008 documentary starring Ben Stein)

Originally Posted by Superboy View Post
Sorry, I just realized how vitriolic my first post sounded, because I realized that you weren't behind that idea, just stating it.

I think that associating the Holocaust with Darwinism is just stupid. It really doesn't take into account any of the factors that led up to what happened. And I don't believe Hitler actually ever mentioned Darwinism as his justification.
No, but Hitler was very clearly a believer in Eugenics, which is perverted derivative of Darwinism (and some will argue it's not so much of a perversion and claim Darwin himself firmly believed in it).
DeputyDave is offline  
Old 09-01-09, 07:36 AM
  #25  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: So Cal
Posts: 7,072
Re: Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed (2008 documentary starring Ben Stein)

Originally Posted by DeputyDave View Post
No, but Hitler was very clearly a believer in Eugenics, which is perverted derivative of Darwinism (and some will argue it's not so much of a perversion and claim Darwin himself firmly believed in it).
Saying that Darwin was a champion of Eugenics is tantamount to saying that he didn't understand his own theory.

Eugenics is not something that started with Darwinism. It existed well before the 19th century.
Superboy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.