Reload this Page >

YouTube no longer shows dislikes

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 11-30-21, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 404 Likes on 317 Posts

Well, this really sucks. You can still 'dislike' a video, but you can't see the number of dislikes.

Dislikes were helpful in determining whether the video you're checking out is actually worth watching. I use that input when looking for things like 'how-to' videos, or reviews.

The way it works now, only the uploader can see the number of dislikes, while other users can only see the number of likes.

Fucking stupid.

The following 4 users liked this post by andicus:
LurkerDan (12-01-21), Norm de Plume (11-30-21), Sonny Corinthos (12-01-21), tanman (12-08-21)
Old 11-30-21, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 161 Likes on 112 Posts
Re: YouTube no longer shows dislikes

Dislike.
Old 11-30-21, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Indeed. I'm not sure if they're phasing this in, as I already don't see the count, but someone pointed this out, on the video to announce this decision:

Old 11-30-21, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 877 Likes on 664 Posts

Yeah, it's like how RottenTomatoes had to crack down on early reviews that were simply people brigading a movie because they didn't like the actress (the Brie Larson effect, if you will).

While I don't like the general idea, for me it's super important because I have certain YouTubers I watch most of the time and I rarely have cause to downvote anything they do. If I take issue with a video, then I'll just downvote it and I don't really need to know how many others have downvoted it.
Old 11-30-21, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,666 Likes on 1,223 Posts

It was done apparently to prevent trolling on videos. Sony was bombarded with dislike bombing because people were screaming for a Spider-Man trailer. So the trolls dislike bombed all those unrelated videos. The content creator can see the dislikes, only you can’t.

I know it doesn’t help the viewer if you’re curious about a 25 minute video about a certain topic that could suck.
Old 11-30-21, 05:08 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 740 Likes on 528 Posts

I agree that it can (sometimes) be a good gauge for if a video is worth watching, like DIY type of stuff, as already mentioned. There's a lot of junk videos out there that are just a text-to-speech voiceover over top of stock footage of something. Pure trash.

That said, I think the benefit of removing the stats from public view far outweighs the negatives. Plus, I expect that, if/when the person who uploaded the videos leaves the ability to comment open, there will be someone who will post "DISLIKE" (just like how folks post "FIRST!" as a badge of honor), and they'll count all the likes on that comment, so they can run off to their little hate-watching circles to pat themselves on the back for circumventing the system.
Old 11-30-21, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 670 Likes on 472 Posts

Fucking trolls ruin everything.
The following 4 users liked this post by cultshock:
Alan Smithee (12-01-21), andicus (11-30-21), LurkerDan (12-01-21), Red Hood (12-08-21)
Old 11-30-21, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 620 Likes on 440 Posts

^ Yup, dislike bombings and review bombings because idiots with no lives get their feelings hurt.
Old 11-30-21, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 791 Likes on 518 Posts

Pew Die Pie first became famous by having the most disliked video in history, and parlayed that into becoming a millionaire. It sounds like YouTube has decided to block that career path for everyone else.

I use the like/dislike ratio to evaluate if I want to watch tutorial videos.

Last edited by Nick Danger; 11-30-21 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-30-21, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

I think it's a great idea and one small step to mitigating the impact of the many many hateful people on the internet.
I can see a benefit in the viewer seeing likes/dislikes to potentially gauge their interest in the video, but the potential negative impact of dislikes is greater than the potential positive, in my opinion.
I'll admit I don't youtube much, and when I do, I usually know exactly what or who I'm looking for; if I don't, I tend to skip through the content to see if I actually want to watch it.
The following users liked this post:
story (11-30-21)
Old 11-30-21, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 272 Likes on 190 Posts

I've seen the dislike brigades deploy thousands of downvotes against such innocuous videos as a TV news interview about a health fair that just happened to include a small walk-in vaccination clinic.

If hiding dislikes keeps just one asshole's opinion off my radar, I'm game. Fuck that guy.
story (11-30-21)
Old 11-30-21, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 601 Likes on 485 Posts

I get why they did it but agree it's terrible for how to vids. I'll have to read comments.

Last edited by RichC2; 11-30-21 at 08:28 PM.
Old 11-30-21, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Regardless of how useful many find it, I think we can all agree on one thing... It all comes down to what YouTube thinks will earn them more money. They really don't give a shit about someone getting their feelings hurt because they received dislikes. They (the uploader) can still see those dislikes.

IMO it's a terrible idea. It certainly makes it a bigger pain in the ass for what I like to do. Strictly as a watcher, there are zero benefits to this.

And, yeah, as a result, we're going to see a lot more negative comments, instead of dislikes.

The following 2 users liked this post by andicus:
Norm de Plume (11-30-21), tanman (12-08-21)
Old 11-30-21, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 163 Likes on 128 Posts

A videoís likes vs. dislikes are completely irrelevant to me.

However, I do notice ďviewsĒ when browsing for videos.
eXcentris (12-01-21)
Old 11-30-21, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 188 Likes on 113 Posts

I mostly watch YouTube on my TV (with Roku) and it doesn't show likes or dislikes (or comments), so this doesn't affect me. Why hide dislikes only, and not both (likes and dislikes)?
Old 11-30-21, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

It illustrates that in the USA positivity far exceeds negativity. Many platforms cannot handle negatives otherwise it stagnates growth.
Old 12-01-21, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 693 Likes on 443 Posts

This is great. Now we just need to get rid of comments across social media. Too many people think they need to weigh in on everything and they justÖdonít.
The following 4 users liked this post by Draven:
AGuyNamedMike (12-01-21), cultshock (12-01-21), Meathead (12-03-21), story (12-01-21)
Old 12-01-21, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 187 Likes on 143 Posts

I donít usually pay attention to those figures anyways, but I always make sure to hit Dislike if the video has any technical issues- eg logo bugs, 4x3 stretched to 16x9, inexcusably awful quality masters or the laziest of all, shot with a camera off a TV. I never crap on a movie I donít happen to like, I usually donít watch trailers for movies I havenít seen anyways. Most of what I upload is old TV commercials and stuff like that, some of it gets dislikes and I wonder why. I never dislike other such uploads if I just donít like the commercial itself, only if there are any technical issues.

Funny thing is I donít always hit Like on videos I do like because for some reason it bugs me that they all show up in a list, and also when watching on any TV apps I have Autoplay on and donít have time to hit Like before the next one plays. If I hit Dislike I donít care if the interface covers the picture while doing that and I usually stop watching then.
Old 12-01-21, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

well, fuck them.
Like when they got rid of the message boards over at IMDB.
It would have been hard, but they could have weeded out the trolls and had new accounts first 5 or so posts be approved before being posted.
Or something along those lines.

Return YouTube Dislike

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...feippi/related

Last edited by JoeySeven; 12-01-21 at 01:42 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JoeySeven:
andicus (12-01-21), tanman (12-08-21)
Old 12-01-21, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JoeySeven View Post
well, fuck them.
Like when they got rid of the message boards over at IMDB.
It would have been hard, but they could have weeded out the trolls and had new accounts first 5 or so posts be approved before being posted.
Or something along those lines.

Return YouTube Dislike

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...feippi/related
I suspect this will be disabled, at some point, but thanks for sharing it. At least it works, for now.
Old 12-01-21, 08:29 AM

Received 902 Likes on 524 Posts

Anonymous negative feedback helps no one.

I'm all for the elimination of "dislike" from YouTube. I don't expect the world to be Pollyanna, but there's enough negativity out there already without giving trolls the means to do their anonymous garbage.

This move may even save a few lives in the process.
Draven (12-01-21)
Old 12-01-21, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Why should likes outweigh dislikes? If you're going to hide one you should hide them all. Both are subject to being manipulated.
The following 3 users liked this post by Timber:
Dimension X (12-01-21), Giantrobo (12-01-21), JoeySeven (12-02-21)
Old 12-01-21, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 670 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimension X View Post
I mostly watch YouTube on my TV (with Roku) and it doesn't show likes or dislikes (or comments), so this doesn't affect me. Why hide dislikes only, and not both (likes and dislikes)?
Me too, 99% of my YouTube viewing is on Roku on my TV, so I don't see any likes, comments, etc. which is perfectly ok with me.

Old 12-01-21, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by story View Post
Anonymous negative feedback helps no one.

I'm all for the elimination of "dislike" from YouTube. I don't expect the world to be Pollyanna, but there's enough negativity out there already without giving trolls the means to do their anonymous garbage.

This move may even save a few lives in the process.
As I've already stated, it helps me. You're assuming that there is no legitimate negative feedback, and that all negative feedback is from trolls.

The way it is now, there can be a completely factually incorrect video posted, and people will only see the 'likes' for the video, giving it some credence.
Old 12-01-21, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 272 Likes on 190 Posts

I'd be down for eliminating both likes and dislikes.

Ooooorrr limiting like and dislike buttons (and the tally visibility) to channel subscribers only and making the buttons a part of comment submission, so they at least have to say something.
story (12-01-21)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.