What happened to Gabby Petito?

Other Talk "Otterville"

What happened to Gabby Petito?

Old 11-23-21, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts
Re: What happened to Gabby Petito?

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
You'd think but they had to bring in an anthropologist to help. He blew his head off in the wetlands area, so I assume he was in there for weeks just marinating. His face and head probably looked like a bowl of chili by the end.
I was assuming when they said they found a skeleton, that they found bones and a skull. I hadn't heard that the bones were severely deteriorated that they wouldn't be able to see skull damage if there were to be a self inflicted gunshot wound. That and a gun should have been found somewhere near what was left of him, which I hadn't heard mentioned.
Old 11-23-21, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 486 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
It's odd that this wouldn't have been apparent with the initial autopsy if it were a self inflicted gunshot wound.
That's what I thought. Why did it take so long.

You'd think but they had to bring in an anthropologist to help. He blew his head off in the wetlands area, so I assume he was in there for weeks just marinating. His face and head probably looked like a bowl of chili by the end.
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Right. Aside from being underwater for awhile, i wonder how many critters got to his body. Seems likely in gator country.
Oh yeah those are both great points. And since she's dead already it's better to make sure that the report is finalized before releasing any information.

Or..if you're a conspiracy theorist they released this information right when they needed a distraction from raising gas prices and the vaccine mandate.
Old 11-24-21, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 437 Likes on 310 Posts

Wouldn't they have found the weapon nearby if it was self inflicted?
Old 11-24-21, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
Wouldn't they have found the weapon nearby if it was self inflicted?
They should have found one nearby. One way they wouldn't if some animal(s) dragged his body somewhere after death, but I doubt it would be moved that far. The other possibility is that his body floated in the water somewhere further away. That's highly unlikely considering his parents appeared to know where he was. The other possibility is that he died elsewhere and his body was dumped there, but that seems like a longshot as well.
Old 11-24-21, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 663 Likes on 468 Posts

His face and head probably looked like a bowl of chili by the end.
Mmmm, chili.
The following 2 users liked this post by cultshock:
emanon (11-27-21), Why So Blu? (11-24-21)
Old 11-24-21, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 232 Likes on 127 Posts

I was wrong again. Early in this thread I said he'd probably be found alive because if he didn't kill himself immediately after the murder, he wouldn't kill himself at all.
Old 11-24-21, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 545 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Phillips View Post
I was wrong again. Early in this thread I said he'd probably be found alive because if he didn't kill himself immediately after the murder, he wouldn't kill himself at all.
I have no proof of this but I've a feeling if this case hadn't gotten the national attention that it did and there wasn't this massive manhunt for him - he probably wouldn't have killed himself. But when you look online and see on every major new website there's a manhunt going on for you and they are even talking about you on DVDTalk... you're not going to get away.
Old 11-24-21, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,507 Likes on 982 Posts

^ Morgan Freeman narrating: “I’d like to think that the last thing that went through his head, other than that bullet, was to wonder how the hell DVDTalk ever got the best of him”
The following 4 users liked this post by GoldenJCJ:
Kurt D (11-24-21), tanman (11-24-21), tommyp007 (11-24-21), Why So Blu? (11-24-21)
Old 11-24-21, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 214 Likes on 172 Posts

Why if he attached the gun to a large balloon and after he shot himself it floated so far away and dropped into the Gulf where no one will find it.
Old 11-24-21, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know this riddle. He shot himself with an ice gun. The gun melted in the hot Florida sun.
Old 11-24-21, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
I have no proof of this but I've a feeling if this case hadn't gotten the national attention that it did and there wasn't this massive manhunt for him - he probably wouldn't have killed himself. But when you look online and see on every major new website there's a manhunt going on for you and they are even talking about you on DVDTalk... you're not going to get away.
There technically wasn't a manhunt when he disappeared. There was just the media attention. The charges likely came after his self exile himself from the land of the living. I'm sure he knew charges were coming though. The funny thing though, if he hadn't run off and hid he would have so far only been charged with the illegal financial fraud and not murder. Even though it's 99% likely he's the one that killed, Gabby, it doesn't appear the authorities have been able to connect the dots yet, unless they are still holding back for some reason. He could have kept his mouth shut and had a decent chance of getting away with it.
Old 01-21-22, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The FBI just announced today that Brian Laundrie admitted to killing Gabby Petito after revieing the notebook discovered near his remains in the Florida reserve.
Old 01-21-22, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 545 Likes on 339 Posts

Thanks for the update. Glad that chapter is closed. I still hope his parents get in some trouble somehow.
Old 01-21-22, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 663 Likes on 468 Posts

I still hope his parents get in some trouble somehow.
Yeah, this. They weren't completely innocent in this whole mess.
Old 01-21-22, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the update. Glad that chapter is closed. I still hope his parents get in some trouble somehow.
They were in a tough position. Not sure if they could be charged with much unless they aided Brian in hiding evidence of the murder like cleaning out their van. That or they aided him in hiding. They could have known where he was all along, but as long as they didn't help him in any way or lie to the police, they can't be charged with anything in that respect.
Old 01-21-22, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 561 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Yeah, this. They weren't completely innocent in this whole mess.
Not sure how they get into trouble, honestly. Laundrie was still only a "person of interest" when they likely assisted in his dropping off the grid. There is no evidence to suggest that they had any contact with their son after September 14th. An arrest warrant for Laundrie wasn't issued until September 23rd. He did not officially become a fugitive until that date.
Old 01-21-22, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 569 Likes on 442 Posts

The FBI just announced today that Brian Laundrie admitted to killing Gabby Petito after revieing the notebook discovered near his remains in the Florida reserve.
Wow. Big surprise.

Sorry, I don't mean that to sound as sarcastic as it does, I just think we all knew that's what happened. I guess it's good to have some kind of proof though and close the book on the whole mess.
Old 01-21-22, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Received 660 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
Not sure how they get into trouble
They get into trouble for raising a bald-ass killer with a huge dome.
The following users liked this post:
GoldenJCJ (01-21-22)
Old 01-21-22, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Wow. Big surprise.

Sorry, I don't mean that to sound as sarcastic as it does, I just think we all knew that's what happened. I guess it's good to have some kind of proof though and close the book on the whole mess.
Yeah, no big surprise but I’m glad that as cowardly as Laundrie was that he at least had the courtesy to write a confession before he ate a bullet. I wouldn’t have been surprised if he just offed himself without writing a confession. At least now Gabby’s family can have some sort of closure.

I agree about Laundrie’s parents. They knew more than they told authorities. I have no idea if it rose to the level of being a crime though. And honestly, does it matter at this point? Their son is dead and they get to live with the facts that 1. They probably knew where he was and stood by while he killed himself, and 2. They now have to live knowing they raised a murderer. They’re not exactly getting off scott-free.
Old 01-21-22, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Wow. Big surprise.

Yeah, it was at least a 99.9% chance that he killed her. We still don't fully get the answer to why he killed her yet, unless there is anything else in the notebook still to be revealed. It could have been pre meditated or spur of the moment/ accidental killing. Most likely it was a somewhat accidental killing; a fight that got out of hand and he hit her harder than planned or a temporary loss of control and she was dead before he realized what he was doing.
Old 01-21-22, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
Not sure how they get into trouble, honestly. Laundrie was still only a "person of interest" when they likely assisted in his dropping off the grid. There is no evidence to suggest that they had any contact with their son after September 14th. An arrest warrant for Laundrie wasn't issued until September 23rd. He did not officially become a fugitive until that date.
That and he never was a wanted fugitive for committing murder. He was only wanted for using her debit/credit cards for financial fraud.
Old 01-21-22, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 486 Likes on 349 Posts

I don't understand timing on things like this. Why would it take so long to announce this if it's something so simple as him writing a confession in a notebook.
Old 01-21-22, 09:48 PM
Premium Member

Received 299 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
I don't understand timing on things like this. Why would it take so long to announce this if it's something so simple as him writing a confession in a notebook.
They waited until the full investigation was complete.
The following users liked this post:
tanman (01-21-22)
Old 01-21-22, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, it was at least a 99.9% chance that he killed her. We still don't fully get the answer to why he killed her yet, unless there is anything else in the notebook still to be revealed. It could have been pre meditated or spur of the moment/ accidental killing. Most likely it was a somewhat accidental killing; a fight that got out of hand and he hit her harder than planned or a temporary loss of control and she was dead before he realized what he was doing.
I read on one of the news sites (can’t remember which) that he strangled her. I’m not sure if that came about because he confessed to “strangling” her or if it was reported that her cause of death was strangulation at the time of her autopsy. Either way, I’m sure it was an argument that got out of control. For as obvious as it was where her body was found, I doubt it was premeditated. Although, I doubt anyone has ever accused Laundrie of being a genius so who knows.
Old 01-21-22, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
I believe they said a while back when his remains were first discovered that the notebook was water damaged and needed to be restored in some way so that they could possibly retrieve any information that may have been written on it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.