Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

What do you HATE that everyone else LOVES?

Other Talk "Otterville"

What do you HATE that everyone else LOVES?

Old 05-21-21, 10:31 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 494 Likes on 434 Posts
Re: What do you HATE that everyone else LOVES?

Originally Posted by Kevin Phillips View Post
Totally agree with these two. Would also add Gin and any Anise flavored liquor (Pernod, Ouzo, etc)
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
Sports
Rap ďmusicĒ
just curious, but why donít you like sports? Like every sport?
Old 05-21-21, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 560 Likes on 320 Posts

That stupid song everyone sings while the cake is burning.
Old 05-21-21, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 195 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
just curious, but why donít you like sports? Like every sport?
I mainly hate the whole "sports fan" mentality of most people who are into them. The idea of getting together, drinking beer and watching games filled with the same car and beer commercials ad nauseum. Some of them live or die by how "their team" does, even though in reality they may not even be able to play the game themselves. (I certainly suck at sports, one reason why I hate them.) I can see someone on the 49ers for instance getting real happy that they won the game that day, but why should any doofus in Anytown USA feel the same way? They probably don't even know a single person who has been on that team. And how do they decide what team is their favorite and which ones "suck" anyways?

They just never interested me to begin with. I'd much rather watch a movie or anything intellectual. On the West Coast Saturday morning cartoons were routinely cut short for sports, so I hated that, and there were times when my dad was watching a game and I missed something good that was on at the same time (back in the stone age when we only have one TV!)

Sports fans in general aren't very bright either- I had a couple roommates in college who were sports fans who were just stupid in my book. They'd watch games on ESPN with very fuzzy analog cable reception and not see any problem with it. These are the same people who are now watching standard-def analog cable feeds on a 16x9 TV set to stretch.

Funny enough though I enjoy some sports-related movies. I look beyond the game and see the characters and story, many times they just make it work. But when the Super Bowl is on I'm likely to be watching a musical or some art film in defiance. One of my dreams is to covertly go into a bar filled with people watching "the big game" and switch all the screens to something I like in the middle of it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Alan Smithee:
BobO'Link (05-22-21), Norm de Plume (05-31-21)
Old 05-22-21, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 267 Likes on 161 Posts

Guacamole
Mustard
Old 05-22-21, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 107 Likes on 72 Posts

IPAís. Blech. Prefer sours.
Old 05-22-21, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 516 Likes on 415 Posts

cell phones ("smart" phones in particular)
techy gadgets and "smart" homes
Pickup trucks
sports, and particularly the sports mentality and the exhoribant expense and hoopla (often life or death) that these silly games entail
expensive, ostentatious homes and foolish "keeping up with the Jonses" superficiality of living.
The following users liked this post:
Norm de Plume (05-31-21)
Old 05-22-21, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 452 Likes on 309 Posts

I hate love.
Old 05-22-21, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
Can't stand IPAs either. Give me a Belgian Ale or even a plain old Lager. If my choices were an IPA or a soda, I'll take the soda.
Old 05-22-21, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 311 Likes on 265 Posts

SUVs

I don't understand how they are the best selling vehicles and they don't look cool and nobody looks cool driving them.
Norm de Plume (05-31-21)
Old 05-22-21, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 713 Likes on 514 Posts

Another vote for beer. Especially when it starts to turn warm. Nursing a beer sucks and I'd rather just not start.
John Pannozzi (05-25-21)
Old 05-22-21, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 3,074 Likes on 2,037 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
That stupid song everyone sings while the cake is burning.
Thatís a good one.

On the song front, I hate to say it, but the National Anthem. Itís a boring melody, has lyrics that are war-mongering, and has almost nothing to do with our country, save for the final line. Itís a terrible song. America the Beautiful is a hundred times better. I get so jealous during a hockey game when they play a Canadian team and they break out O Canada first. Now thatís a National Anthem, at least it was before they recently changed a lyric .

Actually now that I think about it, most Patriotism in and of itself is pretty lame. Iíve really grown to hate it as a general concept in the past few years.
Old 05-22-21, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 263 Likes on 152 Posts

Old 05-22-21, 10:29 AM

Received 126 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
sports, and particularly the sports mentality and the exhoribant expense and hoopla (often life or death) that these silly games entail
Same can be said with the replacements:

sports --> music
games --> concerts

Old 05-22-21, 10:54 AM

Received 126 Likes on 111 Posts

They just never interested me to begin with. I'd much rather watch a movie or anything intellectual.

Sports fans in general aren't very bright either- I had a couple roommates in college who were sports fans who were just stupid in my book. They'd watch games on ESPN with very fuzzy analog cable reception and not see any problem with it. These are the same people who are now watching standard-def analog cable feeds on a 16x9 TV set to stretch.
(On a huge tangent).

When I younger, I was an intellectual type who thought hardcore movie buffs (and tv couch potatos) were complete doofuses just like hardcore sports fans.

That is, until I eventually "degenerated" and became a hardcore movie/tv buff myself decades later.
Old 05-22-21, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,062 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
On the song front, I hate to say it, but the National Anthem. Itís a boring melody, has lyrics that are war-mongering, and has almost nothing to do with our country, save for the final line. Itís a terrible song. America the Beautiful is a hundred times better. I get so jealous during a hockey game when they play a Canadian team and they break out O Canada first. Now thatís a National Anthem, at least it was before they recently changed a lyric .
I was watching some of the NHL playoffs the other day and they started with the National Anthem. I thought it was funny as the camera panned across a bunch of Europeans and French-Canadians standing for a song most of them have barely any connection to.
John Pannozzi (05-25-21)
Old 05-22-21, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 836 Likes on 553 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
SUVs

I don't understand how they are the best selling vehicles and they don't look cool and nobody looks cool driving them.
Maybe the reason people drive isn't to look cool.

Modern child seats are the size of a washing machine. There's no way to fit two of them into the back seat of a cool sports car.

It's like the people on the car forums who complain that the Camry has no soul. A car is a hunk of metal and plastic, and none of them have souls. A Camry will get someone from one place to another, without fuss, for many years. I don't drive a Camry but I value that kind of reliability a lot more than fake exhaust noise inside the cabin.

Last edited by Nick Danger; 05-22-21 at 11:10 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nick Danger:
tanman (05-25-21), Vibiana (05-24-21)
Old 05-22-21, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 580 Likes on 363 Posts

Superman
The following 4 users liked this post by General Zod:
Michael Corvin (05-29-21), Movie Watcher (05-22-21), Nick Danger (05-22-21), Sonny Corinthos (05-24-21)
Old 05-22-21, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Iíll add ďclubbingĒ.

I know most of us here are past our partying days and a lot of us are introverts to begin with so we probably didnít do much clubbing on our younger days but Iíve always hated the entire idea of it. Dressing up, driving to the crowded city, paying for parking, paying a cover charge to get in, paying for overpriced drinks, and sitting and/or dancing in a room so dark and loud you canít even have a conversation with your friends.

Iíll also add, dancing.
I admit Iím a terrible dancer so that probably has a lot to do with it but Iíve always felt completely out of place on a dance floor. Going to a school dance or a party with dancing has always made all of my self-conscious feelings boil to over.
Old 05-22-21, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Maybe the reason people drive isn't to look cool.

Modern child seats are the size of a washing machine. There's no way to fit two of them into the back seat of a cool sports car.
Good point. I have three kids and they are all in car seats/booster seats. Those things are so big and bulky it severely limits the type of car I can have. Iíve always wanted to Jeep Wrangler but thatís not happening with one, much less three, car seats.

I donít ďloveĒ SUVs but theyíre just more practical for every day activities.
Old 05-22-21, 01:58 PM

Received 279 Likes on 202 Posts

Modern pop music. There's more speaking than singing and instrumentation has been replaced by computer generated sound. Guess they decided it would save expenses to automate the band.
Old 05-22-21, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,776 Likes on 1,307 Posts

I can accept that not every man who lives in America is a sports fan, so I will never criticize someone for not liking sports. It's something that you either grew up with and enjoyed or you simply were just raised differently and enjoyed other things.

I grew up collecting sports cards, having an Uncle who loved sports and watching the Dodgers and Lakers as a kid, so I was in the culture very young and now I work in the business.
Old 05-22-21, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 246 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Can't stand IPAs either. Give me a Belgian Ale or even a plain old Lager. If my choices were an IPA or a soda, I'll take the soda.
Same here. I like most beers, but avoid IPAs.
Old 05-22-21, 02:11 PM

Received 279 Likes on 202 Posts

Yeah, I think sports is a perfect example for this thread. I grew up playing and watching them, as did just about everyone I knew. I do watch less and less these days as I feel players are less team focused and more focused on their individual brands, which is just a turn off for me. But I realize there are plenty of people out there who don't watch them and think they're dumb, despite their presence being just about everywhere (billboards, commercials, clothing, tv). Same way I think watching other people play video games online is dumb. And guess what, we're both allowed to think that way.
Old 05-22-21, 03:14 PM

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

[Sports] just never interested me to begin with. I'd much rather watch a movie or anything intellectual. On the West Coast Saturday morning cartoons were routinely cut short for sports, so I hated that.
Hmmmmm.
Old 05-22-21, 04:56 PM

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Corn hole game. I hate the thumping sound of the bags hitting the surface.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.