Be wary, travelers. The rental car apocalypse is upon us

Other Talk "Otterville"

Be wary, travelers. The rental car apocalypse is upon us

Old 06-01-21, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 92 Likes on 68 Posts
Re: Be wary, travelers. The rental car apocalypse is upon us

Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
Welp, had a car reserved in March for Memorial Day weekend at $210 for the total cost. Just got a call that my car would not be available on Friday morning and they were canceling my reservation. But I can book an equivalent car for the same dates for $565. Avis wouldnít do anything, Priceline wouldnít do anything, but I got a screenshot thatís going to get sent off to the stateís AG office and see what they have to say.
So I never got an official cancellation notice for this rental. Since the pickup location was a block away from my hotel, I went there anyway. The manager there was the guy I talked to and he was pisssssseeedddd that I showed up after he had told me he didn't have any cars. He had me wait a couple minutes but was able to get me into a Corolla for the weekend. The bumper was half falling off, there were scratches and dents all over the car, there was interior damage, and it reeked of cigarette smoke. But I got a car.
The following 3 users liked this post by John Galt:
LurkerDan (06-01-21), story (06-01-21), Vibiana (06-01-21)
Old 06-01-21, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 356 Likes on 295 Posts

So I never got an official cancellation notice for this rental. Since the pickup location was a block away from my hotel, I went there anyway. The manager there was the guy I talked to and he was pisssssseeedddd that I showed up after he had told me he didn't have any cars. He had me wait a couple minutes but was able to get me into a Corolla for the weekend. The bumper was half falling off, there were scratches and dents all over the car, there was interior damage, and it reeked of cigarette smoke. But I got a car.

Can you describe how pissed off he was?
Old 06-01-21, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 233 Likes on 176 Posts

Glad you stood your ground, and got your car -- hopefully at the agreed upon $210 price. Let the manager be pissed -- you did nothing wrong.
The following users liked this post:
Vibiana (06-01-21)
Old 06-01-21, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 142 Posts

The stories in this thread are making me grateful I don't plan on going anywhere anytime soon.

Also, I second the buying a used rental car advice. I have been doing that for twenty some years and only the first time was a lemon.
Old 06-01-21, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 180 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
A friend just got back from HI (Kauai). She had a reservation and there was no car for her when she arrived. She said she ultimately got a car, 3 1/2 hours later. So my guess is she basically had to wait until someone returned it.

HI must be interesting re car rentals, in some ways it is easier because the inventory is a set number, nobody is renting one way and cars aren't moving from location to location. OTOH, when inventory is really tight, you have a situation like my friend's, where the availability of her car was dependent on a timely return from someone else.
Yeah, we have a reservation (for Maui) later this month - fingers crossed they'll have a car for us.
Old 06-03-21, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Turo Takeover: Car sharing service gains popularity amid car rental shortage in Hawaii

Old 06-03-21, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Phillips View Post
Urgh. I just got a notification from work that I'll have to travel to LA in a couple of weeks. I'm scared to check prices now.
I reserved my rental car and ... it was the same price I'd usually pay. Then I opened a private browser window and tried the same reservation. Holy s---, the price doubled! Its a good thing I have an account there and it is still linked to $(Major Aerospace/Defense Contractor) that I used to work for. (Note, even though my account is linked in some way to my old company, I still have to pay the rental cost. I'm not dumping my rental fee on my old company).
Old 06-03-21, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 233 Likes on 176 Posts

^ That's interesting. Very interesting. Proof of price-fixing, graft, and price gouging. Where's that BBB address again??!! I'd be reporting their ass to BBB and AAA, possibly also the state DA -- after I got back from my trip, of course!
Old 06-03-21, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I assume there's an agreement between my former employer and the car rental company that guarantees a specific rate.
Old 06-04-21, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

One of my friends who lives in Switzerland told me ages ago that he always uses a VPN when booking flights as tickets can be found cheaper depending on what country you are booking from even if its the same flight i.e. booking Zurich to London will have a different cost if the ticket is bought in France or Zurich. I've not bothered to look into this but it may be something people can benefit from.
The following 2 users liked this post by jpcamb:
AGuyNamedMike (06-09-21), VinVega (06-04-21)
Old 06-04-21, 11:23 AM
Admin

Received 260 Likes on 170 Posts

I saw an interesting short video on why there are shortages. Basically the model of "just in time inventory" has been taken to a ridiculous level so no one has any inventory for a rainy day anymore and it's raining.

Old 06-04-21, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

A friend bought a used rental fleet car 2019 Kia this winter for $12k. Now they go for $19k. She's tempted to sell her car.

My family is going to Utah in July to hold services for my mom. I'm driving because it's only ten hours away. My sister is flying to SLC and renting a car for four days. The car rental cost is $900.
Old 06-04-21, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 398 Likes on 251 Posts

One of my co-workers was talking today about maybe renting her car out on the weekend through Turo. Iíd honestly never heard of it but it sounds appealing.
Old 06-05-21, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Turo makes a lot of people money. There are people who finance a handful of cars and keep them rented out on there.
Old 06-05-21, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 341 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
One of my co-workers was talking today about maybe renting her car out on the weekend through Turo. Iíd honestly never heard of it but it sounds appealing.
Read some of the horror stories about their "insurance" and that should scare anyone away from renting their vehicle.
Old 06-05-21, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 398 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Read some of the horror stories about their "insurance" and that should scare anyone away from renting their vehicle.
Fair enough. I doubt Iíd do it but itís interesting.
Old 06-08-21, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 199 Likes on 146 Posts

Well they took my reservation, let’s see if they hold it. $217 for two days.
Old 06-09-21, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

HTA urges travelers to consider alternative transportation amid car rental shortage.

Old 06-09-21, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 284 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
I saw an interesting short video on why there are shortages. Basically the model of "just in time inventory" has been taken to a ridiculous level so no one has any inventory for a rainy day anymore and it's raining.
"Just in time" inventory is a stupid idea. I don't know how many times I've heard from customers because the shipment of parts they are importing was held up at customs for a few days longer than expected (which is an entirely realistic situation with international shipments) and they are bitching and panicking because factory lines are going to have to shut down due to lack of parts. Maybe you should have a bit of a buffer instead of cutting things so close to the wire just to save a bit of money, assholes. Zero sympathy from me if that's the way you want to run your business.
Old 06-09-21, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

"Just in time inventory" sounds like the front end of "lean manufacturing". From the owner's/investors point of view, it's the only way to stay competitive. Gotta turn rich people's money into more money or else you're in trouble. Business isn't charity.

I came to this thread to post that I was going to replace my CT200h with a used one with less miles. I paid $15k for my car with 50k miles in 2018. Right now the same car with 100k miles is about 15k to 20k. Now I'm wondering what my trade in would be. KBB still says my car is worth a reasonable $9k. But is it actually worth $20k (maybe a $15k trade in)? KBB probably can't keep up with trends like this. My car basically go driven for three years and is worth $3k more now than when I bought it?
Old 06-10-21, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 92 Likes on 68 Posts

Go by whatever the cars are selling on the market, not what the blue book price is. If someone tries to
negotiate by pointing out kbb value, tell them to try to find a car for that price. I sold two cars during the pandemic and did exactly that.
Old 06-10-21, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
"Just in time inventory" sounds like the front end of "lean manufacturing". From the owner's/investors point of view, it's the only way to stay competitive. Gotta turn rich people's money into more money or else you're in trouble. Business isn't charity.

I came to this thread to post that I was going to replace my CT200h with a used one with less miles. I paid $15k for my car with 50k miles in 2018. Right now the same car with 100k miles is about 15k to 20k. Now I'm wondering what my trade in would be. KBB still says my car is worth a reasonable $9k. But is it actually worth $20k (maybe a $15k trade in)? KBB probably can't keep up with trends like this. My car basically go driven for three years and is worth $3k more now than when I bought it?
my neighbor flips Audis for a living, buys them with damage and repairs them then sells, he recently told me cars are much more expensive now than two years ago. and he is paying much more at auction than in the past of course he can sell the cars for that much more but he was shocked as in 30 years he had not seen a trend like this happen so quickly.

My BIL was at LAX and there was a three-hour wait for his rental car on a Tuesday. Must have been a lot of fun waiting with his 6-month old that had just flown cross country.
Old 06-10-21, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 341 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb View Post
My BIL was at LAX and there was a three-hour wait for his rental car on a Tuesday. Must have been a lot of fun waiting with his 6-month old that had just flown cross country.
My sister and her 2 young children (2, under 1) flew in from Amsterdam last Friday and had to wait nearly 2 hours for theirs at LAX.
Old 06-10-21, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 199 Likes on 146 Posts

I typically fly in and out of Burbank. Hopefully it’s a shorter wait time there.
Old 06-10-21, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 180 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
My sister and her 2 young children (2, under 1) flew in from Amsterdam last Friday and had to wait nearly 2 hours for theirs at LAX.
Didi they have a car reserved or not?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.