Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Need to open a new Savings/Checking Bank Account. Which one should i go with?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 03-10-21, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Well it seems that by the end of the month i will be starting a new job on the US mainland (Florida... home to every fucked up story). One of the first things i need to do is open a new bank account, and wondered which people recommend. If i can open one online it would be far better than in person, as i currently have enough on my plate.

So any recommendations?
Old 03-10-21, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 158 Likes on 126 Posts
Re: Need to open a new Savings/Checking Bank Account. Which one should i go with?

Even if you prefer to open an account online, I will recommend that you have access to a local branch just in case you need to visit in-person.
Old 03-10-21, 11:48 AM

Received 897 Likes on 519 Posts
Re: Need to open a new Savings/Checking Bank Account. Which one should i go with?

Originally Posted by james2025a View Post
(Florida... home to every fucked up story)
I'm not in Florida, sir.

AgreMLBFan24, you need somewhere with a local branch. Consider more than money, but how else a bank (or credit union!) can be there for you. We financed our vehicles and home through our credit union, they even had a list of preferred real estate agents and we received a portion of their sales commission in cash. We refinanced consumer debt with them, and are working with them to file our will and end of life documentation. We could likely do much of that online, but the stability of a local branch feels best. Good luck!
Old 03-10-21, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

I've been with two credit unions, one very small one (can't recall which one) and one larger (Public Service Credit Union). I then switched to national bank, where I've stayed. I also have an Ally account, that I used to use for the interest, but that's been dropped to near nothing in the past year.

I agree with Story. You need to figure out what all you're going to use from your bank. If it's just a checking/savings account, any bank that doesn't charge fees will likely be fine. Pick one that's near you and go from there. If you're going to use them for loans, a credit union might be better. You can always change your mind later on, or have multiple accounts at multiple banks.
Old 03-10-21, 11:56 AM
Premium Member

Received 298 Likes on 208 Posts

Even if you do end up doing it online, I'd recommend it's with a bank that does have a local branch in case you ever do need to talk to a real person.
Old 03-10-21, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Received 658 Likes on 449 Posts

Any credit union over a major bank!
The following 3 users liked this post by Kurt D:
danwiz (03-10-21), funkyryno (03-12-21), The Cow (03-10-21)
Old 03-10-21, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a View Post
Well it seems that by the end of the month i will be starting a new job on the US mainland (Florida... home to every fucked up story). One of the first things i need to do is open a new bank account, and wondered which people recommend. If i can open one online it would be far better than in person, as i currently have enough on my plate.

So any recommendations?
Having lived in FL pretty much my entire life, the only bank I've ever actually worked well with and enjoyed has been BB&T (now Truist, but they are still BB&T branded for now). Plenty of branches around the state too.
Old 03-10-21, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 543 Likes on 337 Posts

I recommend you pick a credit union with local branches over a bank. They don't have to have many branches just one you can go to in case you need something in person. Used to be you'd shop around interest rates but.. today.. it doesn't matter anymore. Just pick the one that seems to be the most popular near you.
Old 03-10-21, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Definitely recommend looking into a credit union. I've been with one for 20 years or so, and they're great. There are almost no ongoing fees, of course there are fees for certain services and late/overlimit fees, but overall much more consumer friendly than a big for-profit bank.
Old 03-12-21, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I guess i will probably go with a credit union account and a bank account. Wont hurt having one of each i guess.
The following users liked this post:
Kurt D (03-12-21)
Old 03-12-21, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 579 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 View Post
Even if you prefer to open an account online, I will recommend that you have access to a local branch just in case you need to visit in-person.
Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
Even if you do end up doing it online, I'd recommend it's with a bank that does have a local branch in case you ever do need to talk to a real person.
Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
They don't have to have many branches just one you can go to in case you need something in person.

Great advice ... from 50+ years of cumulative time on an anonymous forum ...

Karens.

Old 03-12-21, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 132 Likes on 85 Posts

If you're a veteran, Chase has free banking and free checks with no minimums. I like them as much or more than any credit union I've used. They have great credit cards, too, and it's convenient to have it all in one website with their banking.
Old 03-15-21, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was considering Chase as heard good things about them. Sounds like thats one i will go with.

Thabks again folks.
Old 03-15-21, 08:14 AM

Received 2,578 Likes on 1,765 Posts

I use Ally for my online bank. It has a higher than normal interest rate. It is also easy to transfer funds in and out of their investment platform, if that is something of interest.

If you don't need to go in person for anything, it is super easy. If you need cash, they reimburse up to $10/mo in fees if you don't use one of their ATMs.
Old 03-15-21, 09:55 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I use Ally for banking but when I needed something notarized, and didn't want to pay or even locate a notary, I used a BofA branch as I have a credit card issued by them. As a card holder they set me up and notarized my papers free.
Old 03-17-21, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well i had to fly Monday for a job interview (got the job), Tuesday get sent 32 employment documents to complete and one of them was a Direct Debit form. Needed to get these turned around rather fast, so opened up a BT&T account online and transferred some money across from an existing account.

Probably gonna go with a Chase account as well, but will certainly look at Ally as it sounds like its worth consideration.