Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Love's Bakery Hawaii to close because of Pandemic.

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 03-01-21, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 207 Likes on 123 Posts

Love's Bakery Hawaii will close after 170 years in business.
https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2021/0...ons-end-march/

Old 03-01-21, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 3,082 Likes on 2,044 Posts
Re: Love's Bakery Hawaii to close because of Pandemic.

Wow. Never thought I would see the day. Don't quarantining people still eat bread?
Old 03-01-21, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 201 Likes on 170 Posts

With "sales in 2020 ... down more than 20 percent," which implies they still had fairly strong sales numbers, I'd guess it was operating on a razor thin margin and the closure was going to happen before long even had the pandemic not occurred. A linked story adds "The company was also facing costly repairs to its aging equipment." So, yeah, they were going to fail anyway and were likely limping along before the loss of business customers due to the pandemic. Their lawyer might have "called the company a “casualty of the pandemic." ” but I'd say it sounds like the failure is more from poor management and years/decades of failure to properly maintain equipment than anything else.
Old 03-01-21, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 492 Likes on 408 Posts

Yeah, 20% didnít sound bad to me, and they were still selling to customers, but took a big hit on sales to institutions, and you canít blame the institutions for that.

I get takeout from restaurants but know they arenít selling alcohol and $4 sodas so they canít be doing as well. Lots of savings on staff, I guess.
Old 03-02-21, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Wow. Never thought I would see the day. Don't quarantining people still eat bread?
Same here. People are in shock here after hearing this news. This sold more than just bread. We always brought their hamburger
& hotdog buns from them. Also their different type of donuts. About 9 months ago they stopped selling their famous powered Donettes.
Use to go to their Love's Bakery Thrift Stores all the time. I always use to buy their apple, cherry, lemon, chocolate small pies, as well
as their dinner rolls. I had a cousin on Maui who worked for them over 45 years.

Last edited by kahuna; 03-02-21 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-02-21, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,104 Likes on 861 Posts

Wait, not temporarily, but for good? Man.

Those pictures bring back so many memories...

The economy of the entire state must be in the crapper, though.
Old 03-02-21, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

I predict Bimbo Bakeries will buy them.
The following users liked this post:
movieguru (03-02-21)
Old 03-02-21, 11:06 AM

Lots of memories for me as well. I used to eat those apple and cherry pies when I was a little boy. They are so unhealthy and fattening. I'm now pissed at the very thought of my mother buying them for me, what absentee parenting!
Old 03-02-21, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Lots of memories for me as well. I used to eat those apple and cherry pies when I was a little boy. They are so unhealthy and fattening. I'm now pissed at the very thought of my mother buying them for me, what absentee parenting!
If we ever moved back to Hawaii permanently I think my wife and I would be dead in a year from just eating.
Old 03-02-21, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,065 Posts

Iíve never had Loves brand but when I was younger I used to work overnights at a grocery store. Every day at 4:00am Iíd eat a Hostess apple or cherry pie and chug a Mountain Dew.

Franky, Iím surprised I still have all my toes!
The following users liked this post:
AGuyNamedMike (03-02-21)
Old 03-02-21, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
I’ve never had Loves brand but when I was younger I used to work overnights at a grocery store. Every day at 4:00am I’d eat a Hostess apple or cherry pie and chug a Mountain Dew.

Franky, I’m surprised I still have all my toes!
I worked night stock and floor crew a couple of summers back then, can confirm the hunger in the wee hours.

Yep, it's a shame. As oft noted, the pandemic is exposing plenty of cracks and weaknesses, pushing many businesses and agencies to finally break down.
Old 03-02-21, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 455 Likes on 321 Posts

I grew up on Love's bread. I'd always smell it baking because it was so close to my Grandma's home in Kalihi. Similar to Weber's bread in Los Angeles. Very local product. Always preferred those two brands over Wonder Bread. Been sad to see a lot of my childhood eateries going under because of the pandemic. Like Like Drive Inn, Dillingham Saimin (fka Boulevard Saimin), Char Hung Sut.
Old 03-02-21, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
I grew up on Love's bread. I'd always smell it baking because it was so close to my Grandma's home in Kalihi. Similar to Weber's bread in Los Angeles. Very local product. Always preferred those two brands over Wonder Bread. Been sad to see a lot of my childhood eateries going under because of the pandemic. Like Like Drive Inn, Dillingham Saimin (fka Boulevard Saimin), Char Hung Sut.
Wait, Like Like and Char Hung Sut went out of business too?

I assume stuff that's more take out like Rainbows and other plate lunch places are doing ok?
Old 03-02-21, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Wait, Like Like and Char Hung Sut went out of business too?
Like Like closed early on.
https://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/...-70-years.html

Char Hung Sut closed in December.
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...n-in-pandemic/

Last edited by devilshalo; 03-02-21 at 04:43 PM.
Old 03-02-21, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I assume stuff that's more take out like Rainbows and other plate lunch places are doing ok?
Watching the news, the closing does put pressure on Rainbow Drive Inn since they get their buns from Love's.
Old 03-02-21, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Like Like Drive Inn brings back so many memories. High School days we always would go there at least once on the weekends. More importantly when my Mom & Dad were alive. If we going to be going to some place close to Like Like Drive Inn. We either stop in for breakfast or lunch. The people who worked their always looked forward to seeing them. So sad to see them go out of business also.

My grandmother was raised & born on Maui. But when she was misdiagnosed with TB she was sent to Oahu with my grandpa & my Mom for treatment. They lived on Eluwene St. in Kalihi right behind Dee Lite Bakery. She ended up working as a nurse at St. Francis & my grandpa at Pearl Harbor. After they retired they moved back to Maui.
Old 03-02-21, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This thread is depressing. I’m going to go drown my sorrows in my leftover loco moco.
Old 03-02-21, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kahuna View Post
Like Like Drive Inn brings back so many memories. High School days we always would go there at least once on the weekends. More importantly when my Mom & Dad were alive. If we going to be going to some place close to Like Like Drive Inn. We either stop in for breakfast or lunch. The people who worked their always looked forward to seeing them. So sad to see them go out of business also.

My grandmother was raised & born on Maui. But when she was misdiagnosed with TB she was sent to Oahu with my grandpa & my Mom for treatment. They lived on Eluwene St. in Kalihi right behind Dee Lite Bakery. She ended up working as a nurse at St. Francis & my grandpa at Pearl Harbor. After they retired they moved back to Maui.
Dee-Lite's chocolate dobash and German chocolate cakes I went to school at Kapalama and then to St. Theresa's. Basically grew up across from KPT. Summer fun at the YMCA with swimming at Farrington. I miss Kenny's slush floats, Kam Bowl's oxtail soup, one of Mom's jobs was hostess at Oceania.... and Grandma worked at Tasty Chop Suey, at least they're still open along with Helena's, Gulick Delicatessen and Mitsu-ken. Great Grandma's house was on Liliha between St. Francis and Liliha Bakery.
Old 03-02-21, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dee-Lite's chocolate dobash and German chocolate cakes I went to school at Kapalama and then to St. Theresa's. Basically grew up across from KPT. Summer fun at the YMCA with swimming at Farrington. I miss Kenny's slush floats, Kam Bowl's oxtail soup, one of Mom's jobs was hostess at Oceania.... and Grandma worked at Tasty Chop Suey, at least they're still open along with Helena's, Gulick Delicatessen and Mitsu-ken. Great Grandma's house was on Liliha between St. Francis and Liliha Bakery.
Wow all my parents favorites, Kam Bowl, Tasty Chop Suey, & Gulick Delicatessen. Liliha Bakery another hangout high school days & beyond. Late night loco moco or french toast with Portuguese sausage. My grandma use to always come home with cream puffs & Chantilly cake. I went to Kalihi Kai Elementary in 1st grade. We then moved back to Maui & lived at Paukukalo. Went to Kahului Elementary because my grandma lived right across the street from the school. Spent my freshman year at St. Anthony's. My Mom remarried & moved to Oahu and went to Damien. Kenny's was another hangout during high school days. 3 years in a row I worked at the Dole Cannery during the summer months. A lot of times 12 hours a day. Get off in the morning & go to Damien & sleep & wait for football practice to start.

Old 03-02-21, 11:56 PM

That reminds me, and this is an OLD memory : I remember always being very excited to pick someone up from HNL because at the airport there was a "water fountain" that served Pineapple Juice! I still recall how amazing I thought that was when I was a little boy -- even though I don't think I ever actually drank pineapple juice when I was at home. It was just such a weird touristy thing to offer. No idea when that fountain stopped functioning, but it had to be sometime in the mid to late Seventies.
Old 03-03-21, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Facebook just served me a memory that a year ago today, I ate Loco Moco at a Seattle place called Kona Kitchen (coincidentally I picked up Loco Moco there last weekend). That was one of our last eat-out experiences, and a few weeks later the owner and her husband died of COVID.

Kind of appropriate to this thread, I guess.
Old 03-03-21, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That reminds me, and this is an OLD memory : I remember always being very excited to pick someone up from HNL because at the airport there was a "water fountain" that served Pineapple Juice! I still recall how amazing I thought that was when I was a little boy -- even though I don't think I ever actually drank pineapple juice when I was at home. It was just such a weird touristy thing to offer. No idea when that fountain stopped functioning, but it had to be sometime in the mid to late Seventies.
I don't remember this but of course I only lived on Oahu for 1 year until I moved back at age 15. I heard there was a pineapple water fountain at Dole Plantation until the 1980's until it was shut down.
Old 03-03-21, 01:16 PM

I don't remember this but of course I only lived on Oahu for 1 year until I moved back at age 15. I heard there was a pineapple water fountain at Dole Plantation until the 1980's until it was shut down.
Googling, yeah I see that the Plantation had one until maybe the early 90s. I never went there. But the one at the airport was a LONG time before that.
Old 03-03-21, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

3 years in a row I worked at the Dole Cannery during the summer months. A lot of times 12 hours a day. Get off in the morning & go to Damien & sleep & wait for football practice to start.
I worked at Dole 2 summers. I had already moved to the mainland, but I came home during the summer months from high school. Grandfather was a foreman at pier 36 in Iwilei, so he got me the job working graveyard, mixing and packing syrup for the cannery and shipment to the mainland. It's the one time I saw an obake. Other places we'd go to eat.. Violet's (closed) for their oxtail soup once Kam Bowl closed. Bob's BBQ, Saimin House (closed) and Young's Fish Market.
Old 03-25-21, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

WTF, Frozen bread from the mainland will fill grocery aisle shelves when Love's Bakery closes!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.