Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

International Travel - Post pandemic when countries reopen, where do you hope to go to?

Other Talk "Otterville"

International Travel - Post pandemic when countries reopen, where do you hope to go to?

Old 10-22-20, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,208 Posts

I'm a big international traveler and I missed traveling so much this year. I've gone somewhere internationally every year from 2012 to 2019 until the pandemic hit and derailed everything.

I had some ideas planned for 2020 until March hit and everything got thrown out the window.

I don't know how many of you here actually travel let alone do international travel. I'm probably talking to the wrong forum for this question, but I'll ask anyways.

I know the travel industry is a fucking mess right now with massive restrictions, layoffs and furloughs and less flights. And not only that, you have flight attendants who look like they work in an operating room.

So, when the pandemic does end and it's deemed safe to travel again, where do you want to go to?

For me, I'm hoping to re-visit Japan and South Korea. Not sure when it would happen since right now both countries are closed. And I don't know how hard it will be to travel with masks, potential testing requirements for other territories. Because we don't know what territories will actually say the pandemic is over.

and please don't derail this thread with your personal dislike for travel or criticisms of it. I don't want to hear that. If you have no interest in this topic, then please don't post some dumb remark.

Last edited by DJariya; 10-23-20 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-23-20, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,505 Likes on 980 Posts
Re: International Travel - Post pandemic when countries reopen, where do you hope to go to?

We ended up cancelling plans to go to Ireland last year. Iíd like to try to make it back there.

Since the lockdown, Iíve had a major itch to go someplace tropical. Not exactly sure where but Anywhere with warm, white sandy beaches will do the trick.
The following users liked this post:
DJariya (10-23-20)
Old 10-23-20, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 158 Likes on 126 Posts
Re: International Travel - Post pandemic when countries reopen, where do you hope to go to?

My first and only answer will always be --- CRUISE

Cruising is my passion. I had a Mediterranean cruise planned in May, which was cancelled of course. Spain, France, Italy. That was going to be my 14th cruise.

I've been looking at cruises to Norway, departing from England.
The following 3 users liked this post by MLBFan24:
DJariya (10-23-20), E Unit (10-23-20), General Zod (10-23-20)
Old 10-23-20, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Our Costa Rica trip was canceled this year, and I am hesitant to book anything international for 2021. A 2022 Norway trip still looks to be a possibility.
Old 10-23-20, 06:51 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 312 Likes on 190 Posts

My wife and I had been planning to go to England/Scotland/Ireland before all hell broke loose. We'll likely do that in 2022 (?) assuming we get a vaccine. Then Eastern Europe for the next trip. I'd like to go back to New Zealand. Hell, I'd like to retire to New Zealand.
Old 10-23-20, 07:12 AM

Received 2,581 Likes on 1,767 Posts

I travel for work about 8 times a year (mixed domestic/international). I was supposed to be in Singapore this week. I don't foresee any international travel for a while. I have work trips tentatively planned for Japan and Australia next summer, I don't even know if that will happen... or if I'd want to go. I haven't been to Asia, so I would be bummed to miss out on two chances between this year and next.

I had also wanted to get back to Europe...specifically Vienna... again this year. Not happening. Personal circumstances have changed and I don't know when I'd be able to do that.
Old 10-23-20, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 331 Likes on 198 Posts

I had to cancel a trip to Greece and Ireland this year, which really sucked since we had already planned everything and booked all our hotels and flights. Getting it all back was not an easy task, and we had to eat some costs.

So when we can travel again, I wouldn't mind doing that trip again, but I can't imagine we will plan it for 2021 at this point. It's too early to see what things are going to look like next year.
Old 10-23-20, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 662 Likes on 467 Posts

This will be the first year that my family doesn't go to Japan to visit my wife's family since the earthquake/tsunami in 2011 (if I recall happened the day before we were scheduled to leave). I don't go with them every trip but before all this I was planning to join them and all go this December. Now we're hoping for sometime next year, but at this point it's impossible to know if that will happen. But whenever it is possible, that will be our first international trip post-Covid.
Old 10-23-20, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Italy
E Unit (10-23-20)
Old 10-23-20, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

US (West-Coast) + Hawaii
Iceland
Nepal, South Korea, The Phillipines and Sumatra
Jordania and Israel
Old 10-23-20, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 132 Likes on 85 Posts

Repositioning cruise to or from Japan. Also, cruises that include Iceland, Canada, and/or Alaska. Nowhere hot. I've lost my desire to ever go anywhere tropical again.
MLBFan24 (10-23-20)
Old 10-23-20, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 415 Likes on 283 Posts

I usually take a few short trips within the US three or four times a year. I’m trying to hit all 50 states before I’m 50.
I was planning on going to Canada in 2022 to the site where the Thing was filmed. Hopefully that can still happen. I also want to visit the UK very badly. My anxiety has prevented this for years, but I need to get there eventually.
Old 10-23-20, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 644 Likes on 501 Posts

Mexico and back to finish the rest of Scandinavia off.
Old 10-23-20, 10:59 AM

Received 155 Likes on 107 Posts

Multiple trips cancelled. Will get back to them once safe, including a for pleasure Central Asia excursion. While I would feel relatively safe going to Germany, I think discretionary travel is done until 2022 and should be avoided by all.
Old 10-23-20, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 145 Posts

I would love to go back to London, have not been since we had kids 16 years back. We had been a few times before that. Also would love to see Playa Del Carmen again. Australia is on my bucket list as well.
Old 10-23-20, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 104 Likes on 48 Posts

This is my travel decade. Once it's safe I'm hoping to do around 30 countries.
DJariya (10-23-20)
Old 10-23-20, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,505 Likes on 980 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
We ended up cancelling plans to go to Ireland last year. Iíd like to try to make it back.
I donít know why I worded it like this. Iíve never been to Ireland.

I must have been tired when I posted last night.
Old 10-23-20, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 543 Likes on 337 Posts

Looking forward to going back to cruising. Had 2 booked this year and had to cancel both of them (One to the Caribbean and one to Alaska). Still have a cruise booked next year for western Australia .. we'll see if that winds up going. Can't wait to get back onboard!
Old 10-23-20, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

I'm more than ready to get back to Japan and Taiwan again--I haven't been since the summer of 2018, and now it looks like it'll be the summer of 2022 at the earliest. Grrr.
Old 10-23-20, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 266 Likes on 188 Posts

I've seen parts of England and continental Europe and a lot of North America but haven't traveled lately. If I get the urge again I'd like to see Scotland, Ireland, Japan, and Australia, and perhaps do that 15-day Band of Brothers tour from Toccoa, GA to Kaprun, Austria.
Old 10-23-20, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,208 Posts

The main thing for me is that travel should be a fun and pleasant experience.

I really don't want to sit on a 10-14 hour flight with flight attendants dressed like surgeons and everyone still masked up. But, I know getting the all clear on masks is highly unlikely for the near future. If I absolutely have to, then I guess I could suck it up for the mask part on a plane.

I also don't want to deal with COVID test paperwork as well and taking tests before and after my trip. From all the reports I've seen traveling is more an inconvenience right now. I'd hate to go 2 years without travel, but if I have to so I can actually enjoy myself, then maybe I will.
Old 10-23-20, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 543 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post

I really don't want to sit on a 10-14 hour flight with flight attendants dressed like surgeons and everyone still masked up. But, I know getting the all clear on masks is highly unlikely for the near future. If I absolutely have to, then I guess I could suck it up for the mask part on a plane.

I also don't want to deal with COVID test paperwork as well and taking tests before and after my trip. From all the reports I've seen traveling is more an inconvenience right now. I'd hate to go 2 years without travel, but if I have to so I can actually enjoy myself, then maybe I will.
Yeah that's the main reason we cancelled out Caribbean trip. The idea of traipsing around in a hot and humid island having to wear a facemask the whole time was not appealing at all. Plus the flight and all that. Our Australia cruise isn't until late next year but I only had to put down a $100 deposit so can always cancel that one if things haven't changed much for the better by then.
Old 10-23-20, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 681 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post

Yep, there's nothing fun about that. I have been kicking an NYC trip we were supposed to take this past March down the calendar (and it keeps moving as we continue to fail to stop this thing) - I was thinking this June but I don't want to do it masked up. Same with the cruise down the Danube we had to move from July 2020 to July 2021. If I have to wear a mask the whole time, I'm just not doing it. I wear a mask at work and the store because I have to. I'm not wearing it when I'm trying to have a fun getaway.

So if it's two years before I travel again, so be it.
Old 10-23-20, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 781 Likes on 511 Posts

I would like to do some traveling. But when things open up, I expect there to be a lot of pent up demand and a smaller number of accommodations. Tourism will be very expensive.
Old 10-23-20, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 662 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino View Post
I was planning on going to Canada in 2022 to the site where the Thing was filmed.
Holy crap, why did I not know this? Whereabouts in Canada is that? (domestic trip for me so possibly doable, unless it's in Nunavut or something, they're still at zero Covid cases and understandably discourage travel from other parts of Canada, and I totally respect that)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.