Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

What is the oldest thing you still own from your childhood?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 07-26-20, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I still have my old Winnie the Pooh bear from when I was about four. Several years ago I was living with some friends and their dog had got ahold of it and starting tearing it apart. I walked into the house and both my friends were sewing him back up.
The following users liked this post:
VinVega (07-26-20)
Old 07-26-20, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 395 Likes on 191 Posts
Re: What is the oldest thing you still own from your childhood?

I have a Faith Baldwin novel from the 1930s that had belonged to my paternal grandmother before she died, when I was very young, in 1969.
Old 07-26-20, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 103 Likes on 68 Posts

A rag doll my mom made me when I was a baby. I actually threw away my childhood dolls last week other than that one. I had three Sasha dolls that I played with as a kid. I'd moved them around with me for years, but I realized they didn't bring me joy anymore and would just be a burden to my kids if they inherited them. I am trying to downsize the stuff I don't use.
Old 07-26-20, 09:06 PM
Admin

Received 298 Likes on 192 Posts

I still have a chest of drawers from when I was a kid. We have it in the spare room with a TV on it. I play video games on that TV when I have spare time.
Old 07-26-20, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 91 Likes on 66 Posts

I have a little plaque/trophy that has a little golden colored baby and engraved on the stand is my name, DOB, weight, and height at birth. It was given to my parents a week or so after I was born. It was always in my bedroom growing up. Now it's in a box somewhere in my garage.
Old 07-26-20, 09:45 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

About the only thing I can think of that I still own from my childhood is my name. Being almost 65, I really don't own anything from my childhood, like toys or keepsakes. All that stuff has been gone for a long time...
Old 07-26-20, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 287 Likes on 223 Posts

New York World's fair 1964 - 1965 hardcover "souvenir book" with the Unisphere on the dust jacket.

Some "Big Little" books which are now so yellowed as to be falling apart.

My old HP-35 calculator from about 1972. Cool vaccum tube nixie display!

Some old "flip clocks" and clock radios from the same time period. One I had beside my bed from my earliest memories (50+ years ago) and it still works perfectly today! Try that for reliability. I miss the high quality products of the '60s and '70s! Damn, things were made TO LAST back then. Before Chinese junk.

Commodore PET computer from 1976 (?)

Apple ][ computer with original cassette tape storage we got as a family in 1977. Still works perfectly todayl!

Commodore 64 computer purchased with my own funds, for $595 in 1982. I saved for years to get it. All my childhood jobs, first real paychecks working at $3.35 per hour, all went toward saving enough to get it . It still works today!

Last edited by zyzzle; 07-26-20 at 11:53 PM.
Old 07-26-20, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

I still have a dresser from my childhood bedroom (probably from around mid 70's). It still does its job though a little worn down. I also have a hardcover collection of Lord of the Rings that my mom passed down to me (she had it since the mid 60's).
Old 07-27-20, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 539 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
I have a little plaque/trophy that has a little golden colored baby and engraved on the stand is my name, DOB, weight, and height at birth. It was given to my parents a week or so after I was born. It was always in my bedroom growing up. Now it's in a box somewhere in my garage.
I have something similar actually. It wasnít hanging up, but Iíve had it in a dresser drawer pretty much forever.

Some other things I can think of:

I have a Scooby-Doo stuffed animal that I got when I was pretty young still. Also a Scooby-Doo item is this t-shirt I wore for pajamas as a kid. As a kid it was way over-sized for me and it actually fits me properly now (wearing it as I type this actually).

The NES and the two controllers it came with my brother and I had. Along with most of the games we had (missing our copy of Dr. Mario). I wish I was able to find my GameBoy. Not sure what happened to it. Iím guessing itís around somewhere, but Iíve looked and havenít been able to find it. Also have the Genesis along with the two original controllers and games.

A couple pictures that Iíve basically had forever. One of my dad holding me as a newborn and one of my brother and I dressed up as Batman (me) and Spider-Man (him) for Halloween one year when we were both really little.

A Chicago Bulls throw blanket that my parents got me. Still use it pretty often.
Old 07-27-20, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 804 Likes on 590 Posts

Lots of Plastic Dinosaurs.
18" Kenner Alien.
My Commodore 128.
My NES and Sega Genesis.
Comic Book collection.
Trauma.

Old 07-27-20, 08:48 AM

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

My social security card.
Old 07-27-20, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 355 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
About the only thing I can think of that I still own from my childhood is my name. Being almost 65, I really don't own anything from my childhood, like toys or keepsakes. All that stuff has been gone for a long time...
Pretty much the same thing. The oldest thing I have is my social security card. Got that around 3-years old.
Old 07-27-20, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 503 Likes on 334 Posts

I have a 1943 piggy bank. It was my mother's bank, and she gave it to me when I was 5. It's the only piggy bank we had that never got broken.

A 1943 Webster's Vest Pocket Dictionary that my father gave me when I was 7. It has sections in the back for information like military terms (of course), population of US cities (Albuquerque 35,449), forms of address for various personages (how to start letters to ambassadors and how to introduce the Pope at parties), and the language of flowers (Arbor Vitae means unchanging friendship, Rose means love, White Carnation means disdain).

An original Wham-O Super Ball, which I bought with my own money at 9 or 10.

The Schwinn bicycle owner's manual for the bicycle my father gave me when I was 10. He gave it to me because he bought a new bike for himself. It was a 27" tall adult bike, too big for me, but my parents were cheap.
Old 07-27-20, 09:50 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts

My Star Wars action figures and my electric train.
Old 07-27-20, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 113 Likes on 85 Posts

I was nine years old when Star Wars was released. I have 24 of the original action figures with the first carrying case ever released for them. I wish they were unopened, they would be worth some money. But, my Mom got more than her money's worth out of them because I played with those things all the time.
Old 07-27-20, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 297 Likes on 220 Posts

My parents are pack rats, so they still have all the Star Wars, G.I. Joe, He-Man, etc. toys. As far as the things I actually have in my possession at my house, I have an old Godzilla toy. It's hard plastic, about 15" tall. I also have a few like rubbery robot and King Kong figures. They're some of the first toys I remember having. I also have some things sent to me from what I guess was a Star Wars fan club.
Old 07-27-20, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 352 Likes on 257 Posts

I still have tons of stuff from my childhood, the best of which are some toys like a set of Mego KISS dolls, some Shogun Warriors and my large size Boba Fett. Plus a bunch of books, comics, etc.

But the undisputed winner would be a rubber duck that I got for Christmas when I was only eight days old. I'm not really sure why I managed to hang on to it for so long, but at one point I realized I needed to keep it as it has been with me for almost my entire life, there's no way I can throw it out now.
Old 07-27-20, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

I have the shirt I was wearing when I came home from the hospital. It doesn't fit me anymore, but it does fit a stuffed Mickey Mouse that my parents got me shortly after being born. I have several books that my parents read to me as a baby, as well as one of those "all about me" books that they started writing in shortly after coming home. My mother was a big cross stitcher, so I have a framed picture that she made for my nursery.

Moving past the first month of my life, I still have some of my original baby and toddler clothes. I have my cabbage patch doll and various clothes that I got around 5 years old, as well as a giant stuffed dog from the same year. I have the rocking horse that my great-uncle made for me from when I was 4 or so.

I still use my dresser and night stand that I got around 7 years old. My parents saved a lot of my childhood toys. Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars, He-Men figures and castles, Micro Machines, various other things. Some things didn't last at all, some things I'm now passing down to my son.
Old 07-27-20, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 360 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Commodore PET computer from 1976 (?)

Apple ][ computer with original cassette tape storage we got as a family in 1977. Still works perfectly todayl!

Commodore 64 computer purchased with my own funds, for $595 in 1982. I saved for years to get it. All my childhood jobs, first real paychecks working at $3.35 per hour, all went toward saving enough to get it . It still works today!
Wow does your PET still work? We had the one with the chiclet keypad. That's what I learned to program on thanks to a basic programming book and CURSOR magazine and tapes.

Was it an Apple ][ or an Apple ][+? Our Apple ][+ I did the awesome lower case modification - that was awesome back tin the day. I still have it but I highly doubt it works. Still have the floppy drive as well. S6, D1.

Same with you I bought the C-64 with my own money. It was fantastic. It stopped working a very long time ago. Fortunately emulators are around to save the day.
Old 07-27-20, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 360 Likes on 233 Posts

Answering the OP question.. I still the bracelet that I wore in the hospital after being born that they put on your right away. So I think that's about the earliest thing I can have.

Most important to me though is a little stuffed Giraffe that was in my crib with me. You wind it up and it plays music and it's neck moves around. At some point it lost an eye and when I was a little older I drew an eye back. It still works and it still takes me back to my childhood when I hear the soothing song it plays.
The following users liked this post:
hippie68 (07-27-20)
Old 07-27-20, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts

Surprisingly a few items have been saved considering my many moves over the years. I have my baby shoes of course, but also my "Original 21" Star Wars figures and the Millennium Falcon, among other bits & bobs.

I also have some hand me downs from my father's and grandfather's childhoods. From Dad I have his baby rattle: a yellow plastic rabbit in painted-on red overalls from the 1940s. It has a hole in it and through it one can see that the rattle knockers are pieces of dried corn. From Grandaddy I have one of his childhood books: Brite and Fair by Henry A. Shute from the 1920s.
Old 07-27-20, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

There may be some old blankets at my parent's house. But the oldest thing I have that I took with me to my own house is the original, first NERF gun (to shoot darts) - the Sharpshooter 1 (1992).

My best friend gave it to me for my birthday. I think his parents have a picture of us right after I opened the birthday present. We were around 8 years old at the time (we are 36 now).
Old 07-27-20, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 320 Likes on 274 Posts

My parents had my first pair of baby shoes bronzed. They are boxed up somewhere, I haven't looked at them in years. I still have my favorite Little Golden Book from when I was three. I know it was picked up used from a rummage sale at the church. Brings back many memories whenever I leaf through it.
Old 07-27-20, 02:21 PM

Received 537 Likes on 327 Posts

I really like reading this thread, good idea.

My parents have a bunch of my stuff, and so in my home the oldest items I personally have possession of are my original baby clothes, baby blanket made by Grandma, and my Baby Bear.

The clothes are stored, the blanket is in a drawer by the bed for extra chilly nights (until very recently, I used another quilt my Grandma made me every night for years but it's getting a little torn so I put it away), and Baby Bear is right by my bedside, actually. My kids have used him on occasion and I'm okay with that. It's interesting to see how flattened his fur is, and I can still see the stitching from where his arm was sewn back on when I was a kid. It was weird, but around 15 years ago my parents had him hidden in the Christmas tree at their house for fun and I took him for my own home. At first, he was with the Christmas supplies but now he's out all the time.

I have replaced a few lost objects over the years with items as close as possible. Books, mostly, like the Narnia, Superfudge, or Belgariad books with the covers I had growing up (can't find the Prydain books in the covers I had, though).

I have a small handful of random objects. A desktop magnet magnet little hexagon metal pieces you stack into towers and shapes, my gyroscope and magnetic gyro wheel (the kids love that so much I had to buy a second so they can play simultaneously). Some coins and Christmas tree ornaments from my grandparents. And I have a camouflage hat my Grandma made me when I was, gosh, maybe five or something, to play G.I. Joe. All are special and I like sharing them with my kids.

Finally, I have a few Star Wars items from back then, and these I use every day. Star Wars tumbler glasses from Burger King are perfect for a pop over ice, those have been nice during the summer. Never had a complete set but I want to work on that this year. A die-cast metal Luke on a taun taun from the Hoth Turret Defense micro metal die-cast toy line from Kenner, I loved those things! And I even have this metal reversible Return of the Jedi trash can I got when I was under five (not my photos, and mine has some creases on the top ring but is still in remarkably good shape). You never get tired of it because you can swing it around from heroes to villains whenever you like. I even took that baby to college! I'm pretty sure I've used that essentially every day for at least 35 years!

Last edited by story; 07-27-20 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-27-20, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 475 Likes on 305 Posts

I have a Figment doll from my trip to Disney World when I was like 12. I think that's the oldest thing in my possession (I'm sure my parents have other things).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.