Reload this Page >

Ramen Noodles Thread

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

Ramen Noodles Thread

Old 06-06-20, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ramen Noodles Thread

Which ramen noodles do you like? How expensive are they?

I usually buy Nongshim Shin Ramyun, or Kko Kho Myun but they are 2x as expensive.
Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon
Old 06-06-20, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Re: Ramen Noodles Thread

Make your noodles with half water, half vegetable broth. Tastes better, and actually has some nutrition that way.
Old 06-06-20, 09:34 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I went to a local ramen spot in February (first time eating at a ramen restaurant). The place has 2865 yelp reviews! Itís clearly the most popular ramen place in the region.

The food was delicious and it was very busy, so the reviews are truthful.
Old 06-06-20, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 77 Posts

Best place for me was probably the Shin-Yokohama Ramen Museum in Japan, it's even designed to look like an old Japanese town. Great ramen!

https://www.raumen.co.jp/english/

For instant, I love the Nongshim shin ramyun too. It's so spicy. I can usually get them for around a buck a package.

The following 3 users liked this post by cultshock:
atrium (06-12-20), tasha99 (06-06-20), wearetheborg (06-07-20)
Old 06-06-20, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

If most ramen shops aren't making their own noodles, they're using Sun Noodles. https://sunnoodle.com/
The following users liked this post:
tasha99 (06-06-20)
Old 06-06-20, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

basic cheap ramen is 25 cents a package around here. I remember when they were half that.
Old 06-06-20, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

Not too long ago, they were 10 for $1 and were starving students mainstay.

Apropos of nothing, I actually had a ramen cup'o'noodles yesterday evening -- first in YEARS -- and it was damn tasty. All that taste and no MSG!! For a mere $0.33. Bargains are still to be had in the foodie market. Who'd have known?
Old 06-06-20, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
For instant, I love the Nongshim shin ramyun too. It's so spicy. I can usually get them for around a buck a package.

I mix it with a pack of tofu
Old 06-06-20, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love Ramen. However, being on a low sodium diet I only eat it sparingly, and I only use half the seasonings. The 20 year old me would have never guessed the 47 year old me would think of Ramen noodles as a treat. But I do.
wearetheborg (06-06-20)
Old 06-06-20, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

I use the cheap brand (Mr. Noodles, Asian flavour), but I add sauteed scallops and jalapeno to it, as well as a bit of hot sauce.

In one of these, I also added sliced steak, and in the other carrots and broccoli.

I'm also trying to cut down on my sodium, and these are incredibly high, so I don't have them often. I should try adding half the seasonings.

Last edited by andicus; 06-07-20 at 08:48 PM. Reason: spelling
The following 2 users liked this post by andicus:
story (06-12-20), wearetheborg (06-07-20)
Old 06-06-20, 10:33 PM

So why IS the sodium so high in ramen noodles seasoning? It's not especially salty
Old 06-07-20, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

... because they no longer use MSG, and instead try to "add" that (missing) flavor with too much regular sodium chloride instead. I think they should bring back the old standy flavor-enhancer of MSG. It's gotten a bad rap.
Old 06-07-20, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
... because they no longer use MSG, and instead try to "add" that (missing) flavor with too much regular sodium chloride instead. I think they should bring back the old standy flavor-enhancer of MSG. It's gotten a bad rap.
Sodium Chloride is salt.
Old 06-07-20, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 95 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by wearetheborg View Post
Which ramen noodles do you like? How expensive are they?

I usually buy Nongshim Shin Ramyun, or Kko Kho Myun but they are 2x as expensive.
https://www.amazon.com/Kokomyun-Spic...dp/B0086X6U5W/
https://www.amazon.com/NongShim-Ramy...dp/B00778B90S/
Ouch. $3 a package is....hmmmm.
Old 06-07-20, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

So why IS the sodium so high in ramen noodles seasoning? It's not especially salty
It's a cheap way to enhance what little natural flavor is in the packet.

I use Better Than Bouillion but even that is around 700mg per serving.
Old 06-07-20, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, the amount of sodium in the brand I mentioned above is 980 mg for a half bag. Who eats only half the package? So that means one meal of this is 1960 mg of sodium, or 82% of the daily recommended maximum intake. Plus 24 grams of fat. That's why I only eat these twice or three times a month at most, it's extremely unhealthy.
Old 06-07-20, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, they are good, however. One of those not-so-often treats. Usually I can get away with just putting half the seasoning in it, then save the seasoning for either noodles at a later time or even other cooking.
Old 06-07-20, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

We go out to Kizuki Ramen, which I guess is mostly in the PNW bur expanding. And they deliver through the apps.

At home I like the Nong Shim bowls but haven’t tried the packets. I still get the Top Ramen packets at Costco and like to throw in frozen shu mai. Did that yesterday in fact.

The other day I was feeling nostalgic and grabbed a Cup o Noodles at the drugstore while quarantine shopping. Surprisingly they still use the styrofoam cups, unlike the microwaveable Nong Shims.
Old 06-07-20, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I added some shin ramyun to my grocery order for next week. And American cheese, since we always used to put a slice on our spicy ramyun in Korea (American cheese slices were actually a black market item back in the 80s, don't know about now). And will try some of the Sun Noodles, since they deliver to Oregon. Not sure if I'd use their sauce or make my own, since it's "fancy" ramen. I like it with a bunch of toppings and will probably make my own sauce--still way easier than making the noodles. We aren't eating out at all anymore, so mail order fresh noodles would be a real treat.

Last edited by tasha99; 06-07-20 at 10:35 PM.
Old 06-07-20, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 116 Likes on 71 Posts

I don't like ramen noodles but I never keep those Pasta Roni or Knorr brand pasta mixes in my pantry either because I kid you not, I can fix a box of that stuff and eat it all right out of the pot.
Old 06-07-20, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Ouch. $3 a package is....hmmmm.
Shin Ramyun is less expensive, like $1/pack at Krogers. I expect at Asian stores, these will be less
Old 06-07-20, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
I added some shin ramyun to grocery order next week. And American cheese, since we always used to put a slice on our spicy ramyun in Korea (American cheese slices were actually a black market item back in the 80s, don't know about now). And will try some of the Sun Noodles, since they deliver to Oregon. Not sure if I'd use their sauce or make my own, since it's "fancy" ramen. I like it with a bunch of toppings and will probably make my own sauce--still way easier than making the noodles. We aren't eating out at all anymore, so mail order fresh noodles would be a real treat.
How do you make the sauce?
Old 06-07-20, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Shin Ramyun is less expensive, like $1/pack at Krogers. I expect at Asian stores, these will be less
Yep, at Asian grocery stores you can buy a big box of twenty that works out to less than one dollar a pack. The packs are bigger than the cheap 25 cent ramen and way tastier.
Old 06-07-20, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

How do you make the sauce?
I made homemade ramen broth and sauce like a year ago, and I don't remember too well how I did it. The broth was something like fish flakes, kombu seaweed, seasoning, and maybe chicken bones. Then there was some sort of tare sauce I made with mirin, soy sauce, and other stuff (ginger?--Idk) that seasoned the broth. It was at least a year ago, from a recipe someone posted at r/cooking. I'll have to look a recipe up this time. Maybe the momofuku recipe--I checked that cookbook out from the library a long time ago, and I think I copied the ramen recipe.
wearetheborg (06-08-20)
Old 06-08-20, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Yep, at Asian grocery stores you can buy a big box of twenty that works out to less than one dollar a pack. The packs are bigger than the cheap 25 cent ramen and way tastier.
At Amazon, you can usually buy a box of 20 for like $17. Is it around the same price at Asian grocery stores?

PS: I these single packs are 120g. The Maruchan ramen noodles are 85g/pack, so Shin Ramyun has about 40% more per pack

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.