Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Be cautious and stay well, all.
Old 03-23-20, 04:28 PM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
What is the hype and what is the scam here?
Where do you want me to start? Tom Hanks and his wife, to the hourly press conferences on how we are handling COVID-19 and yet doing nothing to save businesses, "shelter in place" in LA and yet millions of people are lined up and shopping at Target, Walmart, Costco, Sam's Club, Ralph's, Vons, Trader Joe's interacting with each other under the guise of an imaginary six foot bubble.

I know of not one person who has COVID-19 or even knows a friend of a friend who has it. BUT I have plenty of friends on social media who are now claiming that they had it in January of this year, no, idiots, you had a bad cold or maybe even the flu. This, the overreaction, the misdiagnosed "flu" that kills someones uncle who had a preexisting condition and who had no connection with anyone who traveled to China or Italy. The half-assed shut down of society, what's it going to be, I was still rubbing elbows with people in the market yesterday guess I'll have to wait 14 days to see if I caught anything.

Want an eye opener, read this article, and then read it again and make an educated conclusion on how blown-out of proportion this "insert the latest virus here: SARS, Mad Cow, Ebola, Swine, Bird Flu" same dance, different day:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...inment-testing
Old 03-23-20, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 169 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by hal9000 View Post
Where do you want me to start? Tom Hanks and his wife, to the hourly press conferences on how we are handling COVID-19 and yet doing nothing to save businesses, "shelter in place" in LA and yet millions of people are lined up and shopping at Target, Walmart, Costco, Sam's Club, Ralph's, Vons, Trader Joe's interacting with each other under the guise of an imaginary six foot bubble.

I know of not one person who has COVID-19 or even knows a friend of a friend who has it. BUT I have plenty of friends on social media who are now claiming that they had it in January of this year, no, idiots, you had a bad cold or maybe even the flu. This, the overreaction, the misdiagnosed "flu" that kills someones uncle who had a preexisting condition and who had no connection with anyone who traveled to China or Italy. The half-assed shut down of society, what's it going to be, I was still rubbing elbows with people in the market yesterday guess I'll have to wait 14 days to see if I caught anything.

Want an eye opener, read this article, and then read it again and make an educated conclusion on how blown-out of proportion this "insert the latest virus here: SARS, Mad Cow, Ebola, Swine, Bird Flu" same dance, different day:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...inment-testing
Ok, that explains the hype part (even if I disagree with you that it's all for nothing), now who's scamming someone? I guess that's my main question for the people who think governors are shutting things down for some nefarious purpose. They are doing what's recommended by the CDC, I don't see anyone doing this for personal gain.

Sorry if that's getting political, I'm not naming sides or anything, I just think it's dangerous to think it's a scam of some kind. That's how we get people congregating because they don't believe that the virus is dangerous.

Last edited by fujishig; 03-23-20 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03-23-20, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Personally, I prefer to err on the side of caution and live through this. If it later turns out to have been more hype than fact, at least I'll be around to laugh with the rest of the world about it.
Old 03-23-20, 04:42 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Italy looks like it might be stablilzing a bit. Fewer new cases and fewer deaths in the last few days (6550 new cases Saturday, 5560 yesterday, 4800 today in cases, and 793 deaths on Saturday, 651 deaths on Sunday, and looking like around 601 deaths on Monday). Too small of a sample really but it's better than the alternative.
I wish people who stop debating this point. Lock-down works, and it's the only thing we know that works. Italy took a while to get it, but once they put it in place, we start seeing results in a week. There is no miracle, and this solution is not easy or painless but it works,

Old 03-23-20, 04:44 PM

Ok, that explains the hype part (even if I disagree with you that it's all for nothing), now who's scamming someone? I guess that's my main question for the people who think governors are shutting things down for some nefarious purpose. They are doing what's recommended by the CDC, I don't see anyone doing this for personal gain.

Sorry if that's getting political, I'm not naming sides or anything, I just think it's dangerous to think it's a scam of some kind.
The scam is, stay home, don't go out to eat, but go through the drive-thu meanwhile sit down restaurants are literally getting destroyed because they aren't set up for nor are people used to getting "take out" pancakes from places like I-Hop. Stay home, but go to the market and rub elbows with other people, touch packages/boxes/milk/produce that have been touched by countless other people. This is how ridiculous and absurd this whole process is. YES, I agree be mindful if you have a cough, maybe stay home, and everyone should do your best to practice good hygiene. The one upside to all of this is hopefully people will continue to wash their hands often, i.e., ALL THE TIME.

The scam is, we are way overreacting to this, look at the numbers above in this thread, the yearly flu kills a hell of a lot more (and, yes, without making this political) COVID-19 is the one that "they" have successfully scared the shit out of you with.

EDIT TO ADD: Speaking of panic, who else is old enough to remember when "Africanized Killer Bees" was a thing? It was the late 1970's when news of these bees that were migrating and going to be on American shores by the late 1980s/90s and once here, they were going to kill everyone and everything in their path! My seven year old self was pissing my pants while I watched episodes of the Bionic Man, all the while in the back of my mind worrying about the swarm of bees that was going to eat me alive in ten years.

Last edited by hal9000; 03-23-20 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-23-20, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The scam is, stay home, don't go out to eat, but go through the drive-thu meanwhile sit down restaurants are literally getting destroyed because they aren't set up for nor are people used to getting "take out" pancakes from places like I-Hop. Stay home, but go to the market and rub elbows with other people, touch packages/boxes/milk/produce that have been touched by countless other people. This is how ridiculous and absurd this whole process is. YES, I agree be mindful if you have a cough, maybe stay home, and everyone should do your best to practice good hygiene. The one upside to all of this is hopefully people will continue to wash their hands often, i.e., ALL THE TIME.

The scam is, we are way overreacting to this, look at the numbers above in this thread, the yearly flu kills a hell of a lot more (and, yes, without making this political) COVID-19 is the one that "they" have successfully scared the shit out of you with.
So are you claiming that the fast food places and grocery stores have convinced people of this scam? Otherwise I still fail to see who this is scamming and why. Sorry if this is becoming more political than the political thread, I'll stop this line of questioning if mods feel it to be so.
Old 03-23-20, 05:04 PM

So are you claiming that the fast food places and grocery stores have convinced people of this scam? Otherwise I still fail to see who this is scamming and why. Sorry if this is becoming more political than the political thread, I'll stop this line of questioning if mods feel it to be so.
I didn't say that at all, it's not a conspiracy devised by either of those. The "scam"/hypocrisy is what's laughable, shelter in place, but ehhh, yeah, kinda go about your daily lives, go to the market/Costco, pick up take-out food, should I count myself lucky every time I go out and don't come down with the flu or worse, COVID-19. Look at the small details of what I just said, forget I mentioned the word "scam" - how many packages have you touched in a store that were touched by countless other people who have come in contact with 10x that many people. See what I'm getting at? The coin or dollar bill that you were handed as change, the box of cereal you just bought, any package for that matter, the mail the mailman just delivered your bills/junk mail... everything you interact with (for the most part) has been touched by someone else and yet, you're still here... I hope...
Old 03-23-20, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't say that at all, it's not a conspiracy devised by either of those. The "scam"/hypocrisy is what's laughable, shelter in place, but ehhh, yeah, kinda go about your daily lives, go to the market/Costco, pick up take-out food, should I count myself lucky every time I go out and don't come down with the flu or worse, COVID-19. Look at the small details of what I just said, forget I mentioned the word "scam" - how many packages have you touched in a store that were touched by countless other people who have come in contact with 10x that many people. See what I'm getting at? The coin or dollar bill that you were handed as change, the box of cereal you just bought, any package for that matter, the mail the mailman just delivered your bills/junk mail... everything you interact with (for the most part) has been touched by someone else and yet, you're still here... I hope...
Right, I get that, I'm saying scam is the wrong word to use... nobody's out to get you. But groceries are essential, can you see how limiting how many people can congregate can have an affect, even if we leave grocery stores open (and here, grocery stores are doing things like only allowing 10 people in at a time)? I understand things like fast food are not essential, and I have qualms about that as well, I think part of that is the government doesn't want to put so many restrictions down, but it's obvious that if they just left it up to people's judgement we'd still be having concerts and parties and all kinds of things going on.
The following users liked this post:
DJariya (03-23-20)
Old 03-23-20, 05:20 PM

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

The US now has 100+ people dying per day. If a random jetliner were crashing in the county once a day would you "no big deal" folks be fine with the country doing nothing?
Old 03-23-20, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
Question for bruceames: The State Shelter-in-Place order doesn't seem to exempt construction work, while the earlier San Francisco Area order did. Have you been told which order supersedes?
Got some clarity on this. The order that is more strict would supercede. In my area, all existing permitted construction, whether new housing, remodels or otherwise, can continue to completion. But they aren't issuing new permits until further notice.
Old 03-23-20, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 189 Likes on 154 Posts

Right, I get that, I'm saying scam is the wrong word to use... nobody's out to get you. But groceries are essential, can you see how limiting how many people can congregate can have an affect, even if we leave grocery stores open (and here, grocery stores are doing things like only allowing 10 people in at a time)? I understand things like fast food are not essential, and I have qualms about that as well, I think part of that is the government doesn't want to put so many restrictions down, but it's obvious that if they just left it up to people's judgement we'd still be having concerts and parties and all kinds of things going on.
This is not communist China where you will be arrested on site for leaving your house without a "special ticket" for 2 excursions a week.

Yes, I understand some view it as hypocrisy for making it essentially a "loose" quarantine. But, there are still things you need and not everyone knows how to cook or know how to shop at the grocery store smartly and not blow $600 on stuff they don't need and will spoil.

Non-essential businesses have already shut down as well as malls and entertainment venues. There is really nothing to do outside other than maybe take a short walk, buy your food and do small errands like laundry, banking or dry cleaning.
Old 03-23-20, 05:31 PM

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I had to visit a hospital today for work, and it was a very surreal experience. COVID tent outside, hardly anybody inside the main building (you could only enter if you had business), staff all wearing masks, required hand sanitation as you went from building to building, enforced social distancing, etc.
Old 03-23-20, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
This is not communist China where you will be arrested on site for leaving your house without a "special ticket" for 2 excursions a week.

Yes, I understand some view it as hypocrisy for making it essentially a "loose" quarantine. But, there are still things you need and not everyone knows how to cook or know how to shop at the grocery store smartly and not blow $600 on stuff they don't need and will spoil.

Non-essential businesses have already shut down as well as malls and entertainment venues. There is really nothing to do outside other than maybe take a short walk, buy your food and do small errands like laundry, banking or dry cleaning.
Of course this isn't China, but they could have made it a much stricter quarantine by strictly defining what can be left open (which is a complaint some people had). I don't think they wanted to do that, they wanted to shut down anywhere that large crowds could gather and then leave it to common sense to say what should be left open, and when that didn't work (ie: Gamestop), they made it stricter. Of course they weren't going to close down grocery stores, though.
Old 03-23-20, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 160 Posts

100% of all people end up dying eventually ... why bother?

​​​​​​​
The following users liked this post:
Norm de Plume (03-23-20)
Old 03-23-20, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 455 Likes on 274 Posts

I have never used the ignore feature, but am seriously considering it now.

Why does this "Non-Political" thread even exist? It was supposed to be for information purposes but it's descended into some dystopian hellhole where folks can apparently weigh in on whose lives are worth saving and whose aren't.

In other news, turns out the lab was over-estimating. Got my patients' COVID results back for the three kids I tested late last week. All Negative!
The following 13 users liked this post by Decker:
bunkaroo (03-23-20), cultshock (03-23-20), Dan (03-23-20), DJariya (03-23-20), funkyryno (03-23-20), Jaymole (03-24-20), kefrank (03-23-20), Norm de Plume (03-23-20), Psi (03-23-20), slop101 (03-24-20), tasha99 (03-23-20), Trevor (03-23-20), VinVega (03-23-20) and 8 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-23-20, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 139 Likes on 77 Posts

This thread is a lot easier to read if you have certain people on ignore. The last few times I've been in the thread in politics it's just been an Orange Man bitchfest (of which I agree with most of the criticism, for the record).

It's just another reminder why we can't have nice things.

Old 03-23-20, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 53 Likes on 20 Posts

A follow up to the article Vin posted previously that is worth a read:

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coron...e-be9337092b56

Unrelated, my folks’ pastor has been unofficially diagnosed by his doctor and is in self isolation awaiting a test being available. One of my 10-year-old nephew’s friends has tested positive. And my sister works in a medical complex where the office next door had someone test positive and one of her coworkers has symptoms and is awaiting test results in self isolation.

Lastly, maybe the feedback forum is a better place for this, but can we start deleting posts with misinformation minimizing the potential impact of this thing or calling it a hoax? If some dumb assholes started posting you could calm an upset stomach by ingesting a diluted mixture of bleach and water, it’d be gone in no time. Some of the bullshit being posted in coronavirus threads as ‘just another take on the situation’ really isn’t all that different.
The following 2 users liked this post by maxfisher:
Abob Teff (03-23-20), kefrank (03-23-20)
Old 03-23-20, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
People don’t understand how close small businesses play their finances. The place was there for a few years and couldn’t take a week or two downturn.
Yeah, this is absolutely true.

If an independently-owned coffee shop or bookstore has to shut down for two weeks or two months or however long this lasts, then they aren't going to be able to offer their employees paid leave because without the cash flow of the business, they literally do not have money to do it. They're in the same boat as their employees who can't make the rent. Unless the owner has deep pockets, like an athlete or actor.
Old 03-23-20, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I have never used the ignore feature, but am seriously considering it now.

Why does this "Non-Political" thread even exist? It was supposed to be for information purposes but it's descended into some dystopian hellhole where folks can apparently weigh in on whose lives are worth saving and whose aren't.

In other news, turns out the lab was over-estimating. Got my patients' COVID results back for the three kids I tested late last week. All Negative!
Good to hear on your patients!

I hope my comment wasn’t part of that. I thought the gif evidenced my view of those comments. Like I said, I think the appropriate response to those people should be two immediate questions: Are you volunteering? Which of your family members are you volunteering?
Old 03-23-20, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

WA joins the shelter in place parade. Two wks...
Old 03-23-20, 08:43 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
Got some clarity on this. The order that is more strict would supercede. In my area, all existing permitted construction, whether new housing, remodels or otherwise, can continue to completion. But they aren't issuing new permits until further notice.
Is that because they don't have enough available inspectors to issue new permits? Do you have enough permitted work backlog to keep going for a while?
Old 03-23-20, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 111 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
There used to be a member of Other who borrowed $1.2M to buy an apartment building. It was a good deal, and the rents would cover his payments.

If he forgives the rent for his 200 tenants, how is he going to make his payments? Is the bank he borrowed from likely to give him a free ride? After all, the bank isn't a Scrooge McDuck vault of money. They have to make payments to everyone who has a CD or a savings account.

Blaming the landlords is a common tactic for demagogues on the left, but it isn't honest. Landlords are part of a bigger system of cash flow.
this leftie defends landlords, as long as they're not slumlords or cheaters. I have lived in a housing cooperative for thirteen and a half years, but for most of the previous 22 before that, I rented. With one exception, the landlords I had were honorable and honest people.
Old 03-23-20, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

So I worked from home for the first time today - and it was extremely difficult to get logged in to all the systems that we need to use. The systems were overloaded. They had the conceptual stuff in place last year, but the infrastructure wasn't completely there. About half of our employees logged on successfully, but the other half couldn't get on because the servers were overloaded. By the end of the day most of us were able to log on and work.

It feels weird doing my job 18 inches away from where I sleep at night...
Old 03-23-20, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
Is that because they don't have enough available inspectors to issue new permits? Do you have enough permitted work backlog to keep going for a while?
I think it's because they don't want new jobs starting up just yet, but maybe they are lacking inspectors. Not sure about that. I have plenty of work for a couple of months, as I've been behind on orders all year. So in that sense I feel fortunate. But probably will be a lull when I catch up if few new orders come in.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.