COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Other Talk "Otterville"

COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Old 03-21-20, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 449 Likes on 329 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
That's how my friend is describing her hospital as well. They're keeping census low in preparation for the expected onslaught (so no elective procedures etc.)

They are doing that, too ... but even with that they are well below what they projected on all “the other stuff”. People are avoiding going in on their own ... I just hope that doesn’t bite us in the butt also.
Old 03-21-20, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,067 Likes on 1,329 Posts

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
A 95 y/o woman in Fadano (Modena) has been cured from COVID-19 in Italy, becoming the pride of a hospital.

https://www.le-lorrain.fr/blog/2020/03/21/une-dame-de-95-ans-vient-detre-guerie-du-covid19-en-italie/?

P.S. A 97 y/o man in Lombardie has also been cured.
What is the difference between being cured and recovering from COVID-19? You can be essentially cured from HIV, but you just get better after the flu or chicken pox.
Old 03-21-20, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 449 Likes on 329 Posts

If she is cured, why are they all still wearing masks?

That odd terminology jumped out at me too, Decker.
Old 03-21-20, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 412 Likes on 291 Posts

^ Good question Decker. I guess "recover" would be better than "cured".
The following users liked this post:
story (03-21-20)
Old 03-21-20, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
I don’t mind. In fact, I would love it if government would step up and provide it. Beyond that, we’ll have to take this to the Political forum. Edit: political comments posted over there.

https://covid19.ca.gov/img/Essential...ureWorkers.pdf
Old 03-21-20, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 101 Likes on 80 Posts

Does the virus leave the body? Or is it like herpes and sticks around forever?

I was wondering if we will find out that CV19 leads to some kind of cancer (similar to HPV). It’s a good reason to isolate if so.
Old 03-21-20, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 427 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post

I was wondering if we will find out that CV19 leads to some kind of cancer (similar to HPV). It’s a good reason to isolate if so.
it's like cold and Ebola, once you have it you have it. Your immune system can fight it into dormancy but it can flare back up. Antivirals inhibit viruses from replicating, but dont actually kill them.
Old 03-21-20, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,181 Likes on 877 Posts

Read the CDC website or call your PCP.

Old 03-21-20, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
You can be essentially cured from HIV, but you just get better after the flu or chicken pox.
I note you used "essentially" as a qualifier, but isn't it still a colossal misnomer to say that one can be cured of HIV? Last I heard, it can be managed on a longterm basis.
Old 03-21-20, 07:35 PM

Herpes viruses like Chicken pox, cold sores and genital herpes live in the spinal cord forever. They can flair up later, especially when the immune system is weakened. That is what makes them Herpes viruses. No other viruses are like that.
I imagine this is like a strain of cold or flu - - once you "get better" your body is no longer susceptible to that strain of the virus. It's why flu shots work - our body has (ideally) seen this strain already and has produced antibodies to it so that we can fight it off and it won't make us sick any more.
Old 03-21-20, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
I note you used "essentially" as a qualifier, but isn't it still a colossal misnomer to say that one can be cured of HIV? Last I heard, it can be managed on a longterm basis.
That's right. We don't normally refer to being cured from a virus. We cure cancers and bacterial infections like leprosy. I don't think I've heard the term used for viral illnesses before. We usually say "Recover". Antiviral agents slow replication to limit illnesses. They don't "kill viruses" after infection
Old 03-21-20, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
Also agree with earlier comments that N95 masks worn at grocery stores and other indoor places outside the home would be a great help. Hopefully there will be enough available for people but right now there isn't enough even for doctors and nurses. It's sad.
Right! At this point, I wouldn't even know how or where to go to get an N95 mask! For God's sake, they should be able to be handed out for free at every street corner by government agents. Certainly at every hospital and even every supermarket. That's at least our government's duty to us. How completely they've failed.
Old 03-21-20, 09:15 PM

Received 141 Likes on 97 Posts

Some correction to my statement on “essential”. The Illinois order does contain broad definitions ...

https://www2.illinois.gov/Documents/...er-2020-10.pdf

Broad enough that Best Buy is essential ... and what GameStop’s claim in based on.

It needs to be overly broad. Simply take a hospital and think of all the industries and businesses that support its operation. HVAC manufactures and repairers, packaging manufacturers and vendors, the AIDC industry, including supplies, various distributors, storage facilities, uniform suppliers, launderers, and so on and so on. Other than the service industry what isn't "essential"? There is also the issue of fairness without a federal mandate.

I also wonder though about all those people working from home. What happens when their business closes or has no customers to serve?
Old 03-21-20, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 835 Likes on 660 Posts

Hawaii just announced a 14 day quarantine for anyone coming off a plane, tourist or resident. Starts Thursday.
Old 03-21-20, 09:20 PM

Received 141 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Hawaii just announced a 14 day quarantine for anyone coming off a plane, tourist or resident.

That's okay, as I think flights are going to get grounded this week.
Old 03-21-20, 09:26 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 117 Likes on 76 Posts

edit to correct: The Illinois order does not. Car dealerships are still open. Essential? The service department possibly. But my brother is at work hoping somebody comes in to buy a car today.

I did run into Menards yesterday to grab a couple of things to work on some home improvement projects during this (no, not essential in my opinion) ... according to the cashier they are essential and will stay open. GameStop says they are essential and will stay open. A guy on the radio said he sells used tires which is essential, so he will stay open. Daycares have remained open the whole time (to much criticism), but now will be required to have special licensing.

Unfortunately every government directive has to be followed by the next, more severe step. Why? Because we (as a collective) have no real clue as to what is essential and what is “nice”. We have become a society that doesn’t see the bigger picture.
In CA there were 2 rounds of Shelter in Place, first by counties near San Francisco then by the State, Each allowed essential activities and a few exemptions, They listed "essential" categories so there was no confusion there. The uncertainty came from some exceptions allowed by counties but not by state, so there was discussion about those differences and which order prevailed. It wasn't because the government was trying to be mysterious or some self-important person declared themselves to be essential.
Old 03-21-20, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 243 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Right! At this point, I wouldn't even know how or where to go to get an N95 mask! For God's sake, they should be able to be handed out for free at every street corner by government agents. Certainly at every hospital and even every supermarket. That's at least our government's duty to us. How completely they've failed.
Hell, we barely have them in hospitals now. There’s actually groups all across the country sewing masks at home to donate to hospitals and doctor’s offices. In some places nurses are getting ONE mask for 5 days, and having to spray it with alcohol between patients.
Old 03-21-20, 09:31 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 536 Likes on 385 Posts

Added this link to the wikipost:
https://ourworldindata.org/coronavir...y-country-view

This is essentially a tracker for how long it has taken each country to double the death rate based on the current day. So, the lower the number, the worse it is. The higher the number, the more likely it is that the curve is flattening.
This may be better than tracking other numbers.
Old 03-21-20, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 313 Likes on 218 Posts

I really just wanted a Coronavirus thread where we could talk about how it’s affecting our lives and our family and friends without the politics involved. Then this went all to hell. Guess we can’t have nice things.
Old 03-21-20, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Gotta love pieces of trash like this. This piece of human garbage bought out all the paper towels, toilet paper and napkins from a Dollar Tree Store today.

Old 03-21-20, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 101 Likes on 80 Posts

So is our economic health going to get worse or better? So people think it’s going to be a week. Some think it’s going to be two months. Some people say all flights might be grounded this week and the shelter in place rule could expand.

trump banned evictions on HUD housing. But what happens when rent is due in two weeks for all the normal renters? There is still work and traffic. But I think the average apartment complex is so fucked right now. My local court won’t take eviction proceedings next week. But that’s all so far.
Old 03-21-20, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Toddarino View Post
I really just wanted a Coronavirus thread where we could talk about how it’s affecting our lives and our family and friends without the politics involved. Then this went all to hell. Guess we can’t have nice things.
My Mom is 68, works at Disneyland and probably out of work until the end of the month or maybe longer. She just applied for unemployment and is a little stressed because she's getting a paycheck from Disney, but only for her hourly wages. She's a food server and the majority of her income is tip.

My Dad is 71 and is a survivor of lymphoma. He tries to stay in as much as possible.

I don't have any work at my employer at least until April 19th. Our office in Culver City, Ca has been ordered by corporate to shut down. But, there is a good chance I will get some kind of prorated check based on average hours I work.

My sister is a hospital social worker and she's uncertain how long she will be working in this climate.

My brother in law is a Los Angeles school district lawyer and he's been ordered to work from home now.

So that's my story
Old 03-21-20, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 358 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Gotta love pieces of trash like this. This piece of human garbage bought out all the paper towels, toilet paper and napkins from a Dollar Tree Store today.
Agreed that she's a POS but the person making the video should complain to the store for not placing limits on certain products.
Old 03-21-20, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk God

So prior to the outbreak and insanity, I booked a 4 day, 3 night trip to Hawaii in late May.

So obviously when things transpired for the worse and we're now having the stay at home quarantine here in So. Cal, I cancelled the trip.

I managed to cancel the 2 flights just fine. I can use the tickets for a future trip.

I cancelled a free 1 night hotel stay that I used miles for with no issues.

Now here's where I run into trouble. I was going to change hotels after that free 1 night stay and stay at a different hotel. I paid for 2 nights. One out of pocket and One with a gift card a friend gave me with Hotels.com. The reservation was non-refundable. So I was worried that I might have to eat that cost when cancelling. I have not cancelled yet.

Now today, the Governor of Hawaii gave a directive that all travelers to Hawaii must be put into a 14 day quarantine in your hotels. Otherwise you will be fined and jailed

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...rus-in-hawaii/

He didn't give an "End Date" Now that's enough to already cancel this hotel reservation.

Hotels.com says to not contact them until your trip is closer because they are getting slammed with calls. They say they will alert the traveler with an e-mail and potential cancel and refund options when it gets closer.

I decided to e-mail the hotel and ask what my options are. Basically told them I couldn't stay there anyways due to the Governor's order. I'm hoping for a refund or at worst an option to push my stay for a future date. I hope they don't refuse.

Any thoughts? Should I just wait until Hotels.com sends that e-mail? I cannot get through to them via chat or phone. It's still over 50+ days away, so I'm not nervous yet.
Old 03-21-20, 11:23 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 117 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Added this link to the wikipost:
https://ourworldindata.org/coronavir...y-country-view

This is essentially a tracker for how long it has taken each country to double the death rate based on the current day. So, the lower the number, the worse it is. The higher the number, the more likely it is that the curve is flattening.
This may be better than tracking other numbers.
That's a great site. Another way to waste time during this WFH period

We have to be careful in how we interpret data. For example Germany is taking only 2 days to double their deaths while the US takes 3 days, so from that point of view Germany is worse. But Germany has about 80 deaths while the US has 350, and by most measures the US is currently in a worse situation.

Also, do you know how to get historical data? I am not interested in comparing the US today to China today but the US today to China a month ago, or Italy 2 weeks ago in order to account for differences in outbreak timing. I think that gives a better perspective of the problem than taking a single snapshot based on this week only.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.