Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

What is the best Girl Scout Cookie? (2020 edition)

Other Talk "Otterville"
View Poll Results: What is the best Girl Scout Cookie of 2020?
Thin Mints
44.64%
Caramel De-lites / Samoas
17.86%
Peanut Butter Sandwiches / Do-si-dos
10.71%
Peanut Butter Patties / Tagalongs
21.43%
Shortbreads / Trefoils
1.79%
Thanks-A-Lot (ABC Bakers only)
0%
Lemon-Up (LB Bakers only)
0%
Lemonades (ABC Bakers only)
1.79%
Girl Scout S'mores - DIPPED (ABC Bakers only)
0%
Girl Scout S'mores - SANDWICH (LB Bakers only)
0%
Caramel Chocolate Chip - GlutenFree (ABC Bakers only)
0%
Toffee-tastic - GlutenFree (LB Bakers only)
0%
(I refuse to participate in this poll in good faith)
1.79%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

What is the best Girl Scout Cookie? (2020 edition)

Old 03-02-20, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 609 Likes on 429 Posts
Re: What is the best Girl Scout Cookie? (2020 edition)

$5 is ridiculous. $3 was the sweet spot. I mean I can get a pack of Chips Ahoy or Oreos with twice as many cookies as a GS box for $2.50-$3 depending on sales. We used to buy a bunch at $3. We bought zero this year... and both my daughters are girl scouts.

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
I havenít really noticed a decline in quality compared to previously. At least the ones I buy still taste basically the same to me.
Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
I think the thin mints started to be a little different when they went vegan.
It depends on which bakery your troops get cookies from. From my understanding, one of the two bakeries has made most, if not all of their cookies vegan friendly and the other has not. I learned all this in the last couple of years since I have a vegan friend that can't buy the cookies around here. Maybe that's changed this year, but I haven't looked into it.

*according to story's post above we're in LBB group (Samoas, Tagalong, Trefoils & Do-Si-Dos).
Old 03-03-20, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 472 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Ummm ... buying cookies is neither a donation nor tax-deductible.
No, of course not, you misread my post. I donated $50 in lieu of buying cookies, I didn't want to buy cookies at $6 per box, when very little of that money (only 27% if I'm reading the above table correctly) actually goes to support the girls and their troops. So, I gave them $50 instead, and bought no cookies. I wasn't sure if the $50 is tax deductible or not, especially with the bullshit elimination of "miscellaneous deductions" on form 1040 since 2019. Thanks, Trump!
Old 03-03-20, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 167 Likes on 134 Posts

Still like Samoas. Still hate Thin Mints.
Old 03-03-20, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 579 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
No, of course not, you misread my post. I donated $50 in lieu of buying cookies, I didn't want to buy cookies at $6 per box, when very little of that money (only 27% if I'm reading the above table correctly) actually goes to support the girls and their troops. So, I gave them $50 instead, and bought no cookies. I wasn't sure if the $50 is tax deductible or not, especially with the bullshit elimination of "miscellaneous deductions" on form 1040 since 2019. Thanks, Trump!
I completely misread it, my apologies! Here, let me not buy you a box of cookies to make up for it.

You did misread it though ... the manufacturer gets 27%. The troop and the scout only get 21% ... or less according to this 2019 article by a troop leader (but she pegs the manufacturer also at about 20%):

The Girl Scout Cookie Program is big business, worth about $800 million in annual sales. This year, one box of Girl Scout cookies costs five bucks. Of that fiver, only 75 cents, or 15%, goes to my daughter’s troop. Around 5%, a couple of pennies, goes to our regional organization, called a service unit. About one dollar, more than 20%, goes to cost of goods sold. Lest we forget the licencing fees GSUSA receives from the bakers; those fees are built into the bakers’ COGS, which represents more money that doesn’t go to the girls. How much is the COGS less the licencing fees, I wonder?

Next, a whopping $2.99, or 60%, goes back to Girl Scouts National for “programs and support.” 60% is an enviable profit margin, especially since cookies are sold exclusively by a pint-sized sales force with an army of volunteer sales managers in tow. And, the 60% is the problem. That’s a huge percentage going back to Girl Scouts National. Sure they spend some of it on programmatic activities, but the also spend a lot of it on overhead, “fundraising,” and bloated salaries for upper management (kinda like all big corporations).
https://medium.com/@Jenikaplan/the-g...m-b024ffad6e1b

Last edited by Abob Teff; 03-03-20 at 08:09 AM.
Old 02-09-21, 08:59 PM

Received 898 Likes on 520 Posts

Girl Scout cookie season is pretty different this year. Some troops are doing in-person door to door sales, but not if you don't want to and I don't know if that will go well this year. Our troop is only doing online sales with direct shipping or local contactless delivery. I ended up as the cookie co-parent for our troop this year and it's been fun. It's a good year for me to do it, too, as we aren't doing the preorders for door to door, just two big pickups for the contactless delivery and then the direct ship.

This is the last year of S'mores cookies, both kinds I believe, and the troops with ABC Bakers has a new cookie, the Toast-YAY. It's pretty good, inspired by French Toast. Crispy like a graham cracker but holds together like the Shortbread / Trefoil and has a good cinnamon flavor. The icing on the back has a maple syrup flavor, pretty decent.

Here's the Toast-YAY:

Old 02-09-21, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 241 Likes on 188 Posts

I was driving by a grocery store and saw Girl Scout cookies being sold outside, I put on my mask and face shield and bought three boxes. They used to be $3.50 a box in Middle Tennessee, they're now $4 a box...
Old 02-09-21, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

One of my co-workers' daughters was selling this year. She put up a cute video on YouTube with her sales pitch.
I didn't want any cookies, but they had an option to deliver cookies to deployed soldiers, so I went with that.
Old 02-09-21, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,513 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Itís odd, I canít stand coconut but for some reason I really like Samoas. Theyíre the only coconut I will eat.

That being said, I agree with others who say that Girl Scout cookies have really slipped in quality over the last 10 years or so. If it wasnít for my wife who gets suckered into buying several boxes every year, I wouldnít even bother with them anymore. Iíve got no problem telling a sweet little girl outside the grocery store to kick rocks when she asks me if I want to buy a box.
I stand by my post from last year.

I donít imagine Iíll even bother with Girl Scout cookies this year. I wouldnít mind trying those chocolate covered Símores ones but Iím sure a store bought brand sells a Símores flavor that are probably better anyway.
Old 02-10-21, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by lwhy? View Post
I was driving by a grocery store and saw Girl Scout cookies being sold outside, I put on my mask and face shield and bought three boxes. They used to be $3.50 a box in Middle Tennessee, they're now $4 a box...
... down to a measly 8.5 ounce bag, also! Hey, they've even eliminated the box as non-essential. I'm sorry, girls, but no way am I going to pay $6 for an 8.5 oz bag of store-bought cookies. I'll find some other way to donate.
Old 02-10-21, 09:41 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts

The price is $5 here in California.
Old 02-10-21, 10:35 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 740 Likes on 528 Posts

$5 in Texas. $6 for the gluten-free one.
​​​​
Old 02-10-21, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 610 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
... down to a measly 8.5 ounce bag, also! Hey, they've even eliminated the box as non-essential. I'm sorry, girls, but no way am I going to pay $6 for an 8.5 oz bag of store-bought cookies. I'll find some other way to donate.
Don't want the cookies? Give them to someone more needy than your stingy ass. Half the deal with buying cookies is helping out the troop's girls, which the concept of helping out is totally lost on you. You can always directly donate to the troop and not even get cookies.
The following users liked this post:
Dan (02-10-21)
Old 02-10-21, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Don't want the cookies? Give them to someone more needy than your stingy ass. Half the deal with buying cookies is helping out the troop's girls, which the concept of helping out is totally lost on you. You can always directly donate to the troop and not even get cookies.
Yep. I donated directly last year, and I shall do the same this year -- they get more use of the money that way, also. So, I don't feel cheated, and the troops get more direct benefit of the donation. Win / win.
Old 02-10-21, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 891 Posts

Originally Posted by story View Post
This is the last year of S'mores cookies, both kinds I believe, and the troops with ABC Bakers has a new cookie, the Toast-YAY. It's pretty good, inspired by French Toast. Crispy like a graham cracker but holds together like the Shortbread / Trefoil and has a good cinnamon flavor. The icing on the back has a maple syrup flavor, pretty decent.

Here's the Toast-YAY:

The Girl Scouts are out selling yay.

I don't think somebody thought that name through.