Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

How do people get 2x fat in adulthood?

Other Talk "Otterville"

How do people get 2x fat in adulthood?

Old 12-23-19, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 423 Likes on 289 Posts
Re: How do people get 2x fat in adulthood?

And it’s mild weather right now so this is a good idea.
If it’s one thing I can do, it’s walk. Unless I have a gout flare up. It’s the transitions that are painful. Standing to sitting might be the worst oddly enough. I’m on my feet moving around at work for most of my shift. I’m so glad I got out of my old position in the lab. Everyone who works in there gains a ton of weight except for the guy on coke.
Old 12-23-19, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 260 Likes on 149 Posts

When I was in my 20s I could eat anything I wanted and never gain weight. I played baseball and basketball nearly every day but gorged on pizzas, macaroni and cheese, hot dogs, and hamburgers all the time. Around the time I turned 35 I suddenly realized I had a beer belly without drinking beer. I lost the weight I'd gained, but in my 50s I slowly got the belly back and then some. I was up to 250# last December, my heaviest. I began walking every day. Sometimes I'd walk a few miles, sometimes more than twenty miles. After six months I had lost forty pounds and was back to 210, the same weight I was in my 20s. In June, I bought a bicycle so I could cover the long distances in less time. I've since made a few fifty mile+ rides and kept the weight off.
Old 12-24-19, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
My question is: how do people stay the same weight (or close to it) that they were in high school?
It just kinda happened. I mainly drink water, maybe a can of soda every other day. I don't overeat, don't diet, I don't eat a lot of sweets. I don't exercise. I don't smoke or drink. And I try not to stress the small stuff.

Guess I'm just lucky with good genes. My kids, who are adults, have pretty much been like me.
Old 12-24-19, 08:24 AM
Admin

Received 347 Likes on 223 Posts

Toddarino, cutting back on drinking will help you lose weight. I think the trick is to keep moving, even if things hurt. If you stay in motion, you will burn more calories. Getting a tracker helped me know when I needed to move a little more. Even just walking to a further bathroom can get you a little extra motion that will pay off later. That whole saying that "Sitting is the new smoking." is so true.
Old 12-25-19, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 260 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I have Hashimoto's disease, which is a thyroid condition. It's caused me to weigh about 20-30 pounds more than I should be. I'm not fat by any means, but I am heavier than I should be. I have to take thyroid medication once a day for the rest of my life.

The condition started becoming more prevalent in my mid 30's and early 40's, when the weight wouldn't drop and my hair got thinner. Your thyroid controls your body's metabolism.
My step-daughter was diagnosed with Hasimoto's a couple of years ago. She was always very thin, then all of a sudden began gaining weight. Unfortunately, she reads on the internet about side effects of every drug she's prescribed and refuses to take her meds.
Old 12-26-19, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 292 Likes on 248 Posts

I guess I am lucky and eat a lot of junk and weigh close but under 150 for most of this century but then again I don't eat breakfast or lunch.

When I ate a big lunch I don't have the appetite for a big dinner and eating until you are full is not a good feeling for me.
Old 12-26-19, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 791 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Bottomtime View Post
My step-daughter was diagnosed with Hasimoto's a couple of years ago. She was always very thin, then all of a sudden began gaining weight. Unfortunately, she reads on the internet about side effects of every drug she's prescribed and refuses to take her meds.
So she'd rather leave her thyroid untreated and look like this?

Old 12-26-19, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 120 Likes on 94 Posts

It's incredibly hard for me to break. But I think that coffee and energy drinks hurt your fat-burning a lot. Even "sugar free". They have the opposite effect of Atkins/Keto. It basically gives your body as much temporary energy as it could possibly want. And then you store all possible fat/nutrition that you eat alongside it, which makes you gain that weight.

It's a concept covered in Atkins/Keto. But I don't see it mentioned much. Coffee and energy drink is such big business, I'm not surprised nobody wants to discuss it.
Old 12-26-19, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 423 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
Toddarino, cutting back on drinking will help you lose weight. I think the trick is to keep moving, even if things hurt. If you stay in motion, you will burn more calories. Getting a tracker helped me know when I needed to move a little more. Even just walking to a further bathroom can get you a little extra motion that will pay off later. That whole saying that "Sitting is the new smoking." is so true.
I agree. The mixers are killing me. I usually go through three cycles. Mixers for a few months then Manhattans and then neat/on the rocks. Once I have one mixer, the cycle starts all over again.
Old 12-26-19, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 670 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
I guess I am lucky and eat a lot of junk and weigh close but under 150 for most of this century but then again I don't eat breakfast or lunch.

When I ate a big lunch I don't have the appetite for a big dinner and eating until you are full is not a good feeling for me.
I'm similar to you. I only eat a real breakfast on weekends (during the week maybe just some yogurt and orange juice if anything), and usually a small lunch and most people would probably think my supper is too small. Eating until you are full isn't a good feeling for me either, that's why I never have a big meal at one time (but most of what I do eat for that meal is healthy). I guess all this helps keep my weight down, because I do eat junk food fairly often and don't exercise as much as I should (trying to change that). Cutting way down on alcohol has surely helped as well.

The following users liked this post:
JeffTheAlpaca (12-26-19)
Old 12-26-19, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,673 Likes on 1,227 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Bottomtime View Post
You really should tell her to start taking her thyroid meds. As Nick posted, without taking it, it can lead to the thyroid getting significantly bigger and it could lead to her needing a thyroidectomy. And she's going to continue to gain more weight as she gets older. I had a thyroidectomy done in my early 20's for 1 of my thyroid glands because there was a small benign mass in it. I have 1 left, but it's not really in great working condition, so that's why the meds are important.

It's not something to take lightly. You have to do blood tests every 6 months as well.
Old 12-26-19, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 791 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
You really should tell her to start taking her thyroid meds. As Nick posted, without taking it, it can lead to the thyroid getting significantly bigger and it could lead to her needing a thyroidectomy. And she's going to continue to gain more weight as she gets older. I had a thyroidectomy done in my early 20's for 1 of my thyroid glands because there was a small benign mass in it. I have 1 left, but it's not really in great working condition, so that's why the meds are important.

It's not something to take lightly. You have to do blood tests every 6 months as well.
I posted that as an argument that would have most effect on a teenage girl. Not that she'll have health effects in the future, but that she'll be ugly.
Old 12-26-19, 05:02 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was scrawny in high school, about 120-some pounds when I graduated (I'm a male). In high school I could eat whole pizzas and whatever junk food I wanted and never gained any weight. But I was really self conscious about being skinny, always wore baggy clothes to look bigger. Then one day -- about 4 years after graduation -- someone's bratty kid pointed out I had a gut. I legit never noticed until this moment I had been putting on belly weight, despite being so conscious of being skinny (even though I was no longer so skinny). Looking back it almost seems like I had some sort of reverse anorexia.
Old 12-30-19, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 522 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
This is a fallacious assumption. Something seems to have changed in her metabolism, but eating habits might not be it.
Unless you know this person really well, you have no idea what proportion of her body mass is muscle, fat or fluid. You have no idea what her health is like now, or what it was like then. Maybe she was thin then because she was doing cocaine, and she quit. Maybe her parents did "intervene" when she gained some weight, and she dieted so much her metabolism broke. Maybe the family genetics are for round bodies, but the rest of her family smokes and lives on meth. The point is you DO NOT KNOW.
I suppose I did not indicate in my post how well I knew her family, but I know them well enough to know her parents are not cooking meth in their upper-upper-middle class suburban home.

She was thin because she was one member of a family of thin people.

I don't have to a scientist or a detective to look at her and her mother and her sister, and see that they all look alike. In high school, she and her sister were like twins --skinny twins.

She's fat. She eats a lot, and she snacks all day at work on junk food. Horses, not zebras.
Old 12-30-19, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 522 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
My question is: how do people stay the same weight (or close to it) that they were in high school?
I know a woman who was in very good shape in her 20s and is now in great shape in her 50s, after having 3 kids.

Like I said in another post, I'm not a detective or a scientist, but she has run several miles a day several days a week for most of her adult life.
Old 12-31-19, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
It's incredibly hard for me to break. But I think that coffee and energy drinks hurt your fat-burning a lot. Even "sugar free". They have the opposite effect of Atkins/Keto. It basically gives your body as much temporary energy as it could possibly want. And then you store all possible fat/nutrition that you eat alongside it, which makes you gain that weight.

It's a concept covered in Atkins/Keto. But I don't see it mentioned much. Coffee and energy drink is such big business, I'm not surprised nobody wants to discuss it.
Have no idea if this is true. Just something I heard once. The body will burn the caffeine in your system before it will burn calories. If you drink coffee and then go jogging, you won't burn any calories until after you've burned off the caffeine.
Old 12-31-19, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 290 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
Have no idea if this is true. Just something I heard once. The body will burn the caffeine in your system before it will burn calories. If you drink coffee and then go jogging, you won't burn any calories until after you've burned off the caffeine.
That doesn't sound right at all!

Googling found me this...
In the short term, caffeine can boost the metabolic rate and increase fat burning, but after a while people become tolerant to the effects and it stops working. But even if coffee doesn't make you expend more calories in the long term, there is still a possibility that it blunts appetite and helps you eat less.
Old 12-31-19, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 650 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post

Coffee on Keto is fine as long as you don't add sugar. Black or with a bit of heavy cream/half and half/whole milk is fine.