Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Eerie Coincidences

Old 10-12-19, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Eerie Coincidences

I didn't find a specific thread that deals with this so I figured I give this a shot. I had one of the eeriest coincidences yesterday that just shook me to my bones.

A little set-up here. One of my best friends died a month or so ago and I was not able to attend his funeral due to the hurricanes in Florida recently. That has been bugging me quite a bit. My fiance and I were watching YouTube music videos last night. We were watching country songs. Many of you know that if you don't pick another song on YouTube it will continue to play like songs you have been watching. Towards the end of one of the songs we started talking about my friend. My fiance asked what his favorite song was. I told her it was Heavens on Fire by Kiss. The second Summertime by Kenny Chesney ended Heavens on Fire played. Man I just lost it. I am still shocked about it and can barely type this...

I am conflicted with faith and all that stuff but I guess he is raising hell in Heaven. I miss him but somehow he let me know it is all right for missing the funeral. If you believe in that stuff.

Anyway anyone else have a weird tale to tell?
Old 10-12-19, 11:41 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Re: Eerie Coincidences

Sorry about your loss cheer.

Can’t think of one right now, but this was a slight coincidence at least: Opened up new tabs of all the new threads here and read your’s first, noticing your sig as I clicked to the next thread. Due to a forum bug, I’m seeing older parts of threads and not just new posts, so the very first thing I see after your sig is a post of Snake’s.
Old 10-12-19, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This probably happens a lot. Having your phone ring at same time phone rings on a tv show.
Old 10-12-19, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend d2cheer
Old 10-12-19, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It’s because your phone is listening to you and reporting it back to YouTube, Facebook, Google, etc.
Old 10-13-19, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I am very sorry for your loss
Old 10-13-19, 11:57 AM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Itís because your phone is listening to you and reporting it back to YouTube, Facebook, Google, etc.
Bingo.

My wife asked me the other day where I went for lunch and I told her Jersey Mike's. Not 15 min later I started getting ads for Jersey Mike's in my FB feed. Your phone, especially if it's an Android, is listening to everything you say.
Old 10-13-19, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

In other words, we carry around portable telescreens that report everything we say to Big Brother. Nice! Let's double unthink that, and get our lives back!
Old 10-13-19, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
In other words, we carry around portable telescreens that report everything we say to Big Brother. Nice! Let's double unthink that, and get our lives back!
For the longest time, people thought I was nuts for saying that when "Big Brother" from 1984 came, it would be corporate America and not the government controlling and monitoring every aspect of our lives.

Old 10-13-19, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Except that corporate America is controlling the government too ...
Old 10-13-19, 11:01 PM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Itís because your phone is listening to you and reporting it back to YouTube, Facebook, Google, etc.
One million percent this. Google is in bed with every cell phone manufacturer in addition to every social media app you have on your phone. Your phone is listening to you every second of every day, hell, any smart tv purchased after 2011 has the ability to report back everything you say when you're in the room back to the mothership. Even when the device is turned off. The only way to prevent eavesdropping is to literally put it in a soundproof box.

Instead of talking outloud to his fiancť, had the OP wrote his thoughts down on paper* that song would not have played.

*not a text because your phone will also send back all that info too. This is all old news, but just remember everything you do on your phone or computer, unless the device is never connected to the internet, EVERYTHING you search - even in private mode - goes into your personal file straight to Silicon Valley. That is a file you can never delete.

Old 10-14-19, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Interesting theory about my phone and google. I may have to experiment with that. Or just leave it. Not sure yet.

Thanks for the condolences. I appreciate it.
Old 10-17-19, 09:39 PM
Political Exile

When I was in sixth grade (1982-1983) I told one of my friends at school that I had seen a video for a song called "If You See Kay" by April Wine on MTV. I mentioned it because I thought the song's title and lyrics were clever.

He responded by saying, "My Dad wrote that."

At the time, I was extremely skeptical of his claim.

Many years went by. Eventually, Google came along. I did a search. And it turned out that my friend had been telling the truth.

At the time that this happened, I hadn't even known that his father was a songwriter. And he was the only person that I had mentioned this to. There were over 200 million people in the country at the time, and the one person that I mentioned this clever song title to was the son of the guy who had written it.

Old 10-18-19, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was just about to come here to post a new thread on strange coincidences ...