Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

What's the biggest risk you have ever taken?

Old 08-07-19, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What's the biggest risk you have ever taken?

In life, work, something personal, anything at all that's not of your character. For better or for worse.

For me, there's a 50%-75% me and my family (wife, 3 kids, 3 dogs) will move to Europe. Partly for work, some due to the fucked up mentality of our nation, but mostly for our kids to experience something different in life. Well, for my wife and I as well. We've never been serious about it, but certain things over the past few months have made it to where it's more likely this might happen. But it's something we've never took seriously - until now.

So what's the biggest risk you've taken in life? Did it pay off? Regrets? Or is your life better because of it?
Old 08-07-19, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: What's the biggest risk you have ever taken?

Quit a job at a company I had been at for close to 2 decades with no other job directly lined up. Best decision I've ever made.
Old 08-07-19, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

In 1990, I drove from NY to California in a 1977 Toyota Celica (that I'd bought for $650), without a job or place to live waiting for me upon arrival.
Old 08-07-19, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Sounds like an Amazon Prime series. And higher quality story arcs.
Old 08-07-19, 01:10 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

- having a child (IMO, it was worth it)
- leaving my home country, even if temporarily (totally worth it, despite... y'know...)

Do it E Unit! If you have a genuine opportunity where you can work and live overseas for a year or longer, I say take it. Keep the roots you need to keep back home, but don't let it get in your way of a new fulfilling experience.
Old 08-07-19, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Staying with Door #2, even though Monty showed me what's behind Door #1.

I should've switched...
Old 08-07-19, 01:31 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
Staying with Door #2, even though Monty showed me what's behind Door #1.

I should've switched...
this is the kind of content that keeps bringing me back.
Old 08-07-19, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ended up with a goat, didn't you?
Old 08-07-19, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
In 1990, I drove from NY to California in a 1977 Toyota Celica (that I'd bought for $650), without a job or place to live waiting for me upon arrival.
Wow, hope it presumably worked out well for you. You got to Calif just in time, before housing became unaffordable and vastly overpriced.
Old 08-07-19, 02:44 PM

I'm pretty risk averse, but am 99% sure I'll be moving out of Calif. within the next 2-3 years due to a thousand reasons, primarily the insane cost of livng and high tax rates, but not a distant third, the crazy people who inhabit SoCal. Moving, cutting my ties with California entirely, with no opportunity to come back (unaffordable housing) if I screw it up. Getting out of suburbia to a quiet rural community.
Old 08-07-19, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Deciding to change my major Freshmen year in college from Business Administration to Communications with an emphasis in Broadcast Journalism.

Huge gamble, but it paid off. I've enjoyed a 22 year going on 23 year career in Sports TV production. Made a lot of friends and connections. I got very lucky as this is a very hard industry to get into. I got in at the right time back in the late 1990s.

Also, joining this industry helped me become proactive and get over being shy and anti-social, which plagued me during my childhood.

It hasn't been easy. There were some rough patches like getting laid off back in 2011, but I was able to get steady work again within a relatively short amount of time thanks to some connections I made. And I was close to getting fired once for a really dumb mistake I made. But, I apologized to my bosses and HR for it and they gave me a 2nd chance, which I am grateful for.

Last edited by DJariya; 08-07-19 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-07-19, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
I'm pretty risk averse, but am 99% sure I'll be moving out of Calif. within the next 2-3 years due to a thousand reasons, primarily the insane cost of livng and high tax rates, but not a distant third, the crazy people who inhabit SoCal. Moving, cutting my ties with California entirely, with no opportunity to come back (unaffordable housing) if I screw it up. Getting out of suburbia to a quiet rural community.
Your future house?

Old 08-07-19, 03:01 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

rawdogging your mom
Old 08-07-19, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
In life, work, something personal, anything at all that's not of your character. For better or for worse.

For me, there's a 50%-75% me and my family (wife, 3 kids, 3 dogs) will move to Europe. Partly for work, some due to the fucked up mentality of our nation, but mostly for our kids to experience something different in life. Well, for my wife and I as well. We've never been serious about it, but certain things over the past few months have made it to where it's more likely this might happen. But it's something we've never took seriously - until now.

So what's the biggest risk you've taken in life? Did it pay off? Regrets? Or is your life better because of it?
Didn't you just buy a new house recently?

But, If you have an opportunity to live and work in Europe for a few years, I say go for it. That's a tremendous opportunity IMO.
Old 08-07-19, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TGM View Post
rawdogging your mom
it was your mom's idea
Old 08-07-19, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sleeping with a married woman.
Old 08-07-19, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Leaving a marriage.
Old 08-07-19, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

rawdogging your mom
Dieinafire please contact a mod about multiple accounts.
Old 08-07-19, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Wow, hope it presumably worked out well for you. You got to Calif just in time, before housing became unaffordable and vastly overpriced.
Well, I'm a homeowner in California now, so I guess it did work out ok. It took time though, that's for damn sure.
Old 08-07-19, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Didn't you just buy a new house recently?

But, If you have an opportunity to live and work in Europe for a few years, I say go for it. That's a tremendous opportunity IMO.
Yep, we did just over a year ago. We put down a pretty big down payment, so even if we sold it for a lesser price (which we won't have to due to Austin's economy), we'll be making some good profit over it. But if our jobs are looking the way they are, then we'll end up in Italy or England (or possibly France, yikes). Just can't pass it up, if anything because my kids get to see the world at an age when I couldn't.
Old 08-07-19, 03:35 PM

rawdogging your mom
Can we have just ONE day at DVDTalk without this sentence?!

I think the biggest risk I ever took was intentionally entering the online dating scene in my mid-twenties. I was very nervous around women, very down on myself as a person, and was on the border of cynicism and resentment quite a bit. The stuff we're seeing right now with young white guy and the incel, racist, angry way of life? There is a highly uncomfortable familiarity to it, like a faint scent on the air that reminds me of another time in my life. I'm so very glad the internet was not what it is today, because who knows what ideologies I would have succumbed to in that case. Likewise, I'm so grateful I took the risk to put myself out there, relax, have fun, be myself, lower the stakes of dating and simply enjoy the ride. It was wonderful. I ended up finding the love of my life within six months and at the time I thought, whoa, that's too quick, what about sewing my wild oats? But here we are, 13 years total together later, and it was the highest risk with the best payoff of my life.

Incidentally, the least amount of risk I ever took was when a buddy wanted to see Waiting in the theater and I said I didn't want to go and when he insisted if I didn't like it he would pay me back for my ticket, I knew I would have a new topic to give him crap about plus $8 back in my pocket. Years later, he gave the wife and me a copy of it on DVD for our wedding. At least my friends are funny fools.
Old 08-07-19, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Your future house?

Don't you know it! I'd be right at home with the Inuit! Living off the land, wasting nothing, living freely.
Old 08-07-19, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Moved from San Diego to Kansas City. No place to stay or job. I was flying once a month and figured it was cheaper to move out here.
Old 08-07-19, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Adopting a girl from China in 2006.. Best move my wife and I ever made. Amazing kid.
Old 08-07-19, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Diving with these guys...

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.