Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Fast food joint: "I can sit where I want, it's public."

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-06-19, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A weird thing happened to my sis-in-law a couple days ago. She was eating a burger at A&W, in a booth, by herself, when this dude shows up with two little girls, and all three of them slide in the booth, right in front of my bemused sis-in-law. They had no food, and apparently, the dude was just doing something with his phone (maybe ordering???). Note that the restaurant isn't even half full but all the booths might (she's not sure) have been occupied.

So she says, "excuse me sir, but I would rather eat alone please".
The dude responds,"it's public I can sit wherever I want". Kept playing with his phone and didn't even look at her.

She was so befuddled she didn't know what to say so, since she was almost done eating, she just took her tray and went to sit somewhere else. Since she usually has a bit of a short fuse, I was just as befuddled she didn't lash out and tear the dude a new one.

I mean... manners? How about asking? I would have asked the little girls "is your dad always an asshole, or is he making an exception for me?" followed by inadvertently spilling my drink all over them. "I'm soooooo sorry!".
Old 08-06-19, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Fast food joint: "I can sit where I want, it's public."

Yeah that is rude. She did the right thing moving away and not bother to argue or fight which who knows what it can lead too.

I always ask for permission if I can sit down but in many cases I don't bother and wait for an empty booth/seat. I feel very uncomfortable sitting on front of a stranger eating. Just doesn't work for me.
Old 08-06-19, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Uh, yeah.....

Old 08-06-19, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The first thing I thought of wax to accidentally spill my drink on the table. Another option would be to have a sudden coughing spell in their direction where you dont bother to cover your mouth. Farting could work to. Or start asking them religious questions "Do you believe you are saved", or "Do you believe the Lord Jesus Christ is your savior?".
Old 08-06-19, 06:10 PM

Very strange in some parts of the world, but very common in Europe.
Old 08-06-19, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
The first thing I thought of wax to accidentally spill my drink on the table. Another option would be to have a sudden coughing spell in their direction where you dont bother to cover your mouth. Farting could work to. Or start asking them religious questions "Do you believe you are saved", or "Do you believe the Lord Jesus Christ is your savior?".
That's not a bad idea.

*heads over to Amazon to buy some "liquid ass"*
Old 08-06-19, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Very strange in some parts of the world, but very common in Europe.
Maybe it's a cultural thing and Haitians get really sad when they see people eat alone.
Old 08-06-19, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
A weird thing happened to my sis-in-law a couple days ago. She was eating a burger at A&W, in a booth, by herself, when this dude shows up with two little girls, and all three of them slide in the booth, right in front of my bemused sis-in-law. They had no food, and apparently, the dude was just doing something with his phone (maybe ordering???). Note that the restaurant isn't even half full but all the booths might (she's not sure) have been occupied.

The dude responds,"it's public I can sit wherever I want". Kept playing with his phone and didn't even look at her.

She was so befuddled she didn't know what to say so, since she was almost done eating, she just took her tray and went to sit somewhere else. Since she usually has a bit of a short fuse, I was just as befuddled she didn't lash out and tear the dude a new one.

I mean... manners? How about asking? I would have asked the little girls "is your dad always an asshole, or is he making an exception for me?" followed by inadvertently spilling my drink all over them. "I'm soooooo sorry!".
Is your sister in law Mabuse?
Old 08-06-19, 08:08 PM

This is the stuff of nightmares.
Old 08-06-19, 08:12 PM
Political Exile

Every child has to be allowed to believe that their Daddy is the greatest guy in the world. No matter how much of a jerk their was father was being, you can't let them know that he's a jerk.
Old 08-06-19, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think this was the correct response considering there were kids present.
Old 08-06-19, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

On the other hand, I hate it when I'm at a fast food place with someone and the booths are full, often with a single person. Why can't they sit at a smaller table?
I would have asked the family to sit and then gone to a smaller table. Actually, if I was alone, I wouldn't be sitting in a booth in the first place.
Old 08-06-19, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Um yeah, a private place of business is certainly not "public". Why do so many idiots think that it is?

Your SIL handled it well. I would have wanted to punch the guy in the head. I wouldn't of course, but I would have at least given him a real hard time about his idiocy. But considering he had two little girls with him I couldn't do that (I'm a dad), so in that case I would have tried to calmly tell him that he was in the wrong, then moved. But it would have taken all of my will not to say to the girls "Sorry that your dad is a real jerk."

BTW, love A&W!
Old 08-06-19, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Pick up your phone.

"Hey kids. The jerk store just called and they're all out of your dad."
Old 08-06-19, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That's truly strange. *Especially* with two little girls, who were presumably his daughters. What strikes me as even more odd is that 99% of current parents wouldn't even put their precious children anywhere NEAR a stranger (Run! Run! Stranger Danger! They'll be kidnapped or molested in two seconds!). Especially in a fast-food restaurant (Who knows what danger lurks within?!!).

Maybe it was the dude's way of trying to hit on your SIL?
Old 08-06-19, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow that was just so bizarre. Like some kind of social experiment or hidden camera show bizarre. But I find it's those weird moments that really take me off guard and temper my response just because of how puzzling the behavior is.
Old 08-07-19, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
Wow that was just so bizarre. Like some kind of social experiment or hidden camera show bizarre. But I find it's those weird moments that really take me off guard and temper my response just because of how puzzling the behavior is.
Yes, this seems like a Candid Camera moment and / or a psychological study mock-up. Things like that don't often happen in real life. As per my note above re: Stranger Danger.
Old 08-07-19, 06:05 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I used to sit by myself, in a booth, at a small diner in the evening from time to time, not many people around, certainly wasn't crowding anyone out of a seat. I'd open a book, eat my dinner, nice and casual, pay my bill + tip and leave.

I'm afraid I would have to say something to a random stranger (+ children) who just decided to sit across from me, at my booth, for no good reason, although I'm not sure what that would be.

Maybe:

There are other places to sit in this restaurant than at my table. It's not public while I'm sitting here, it's my personal and private space and you're invading it.

If he still wouldn't get up I'd flag down a waitress, inform them that this person is invading your space and ask that he be removed from your table, or from the restaurant if he refuses. His children need to know that this type of behavior isn't tolerated in the normal rational world. I think that can be accomplished without resortng to douchebaggery.
Old 08-07-19, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
Every child has to be allowed to believe that their Daddy is the greatest guy in the world. No matter how much of a jerk their was father was being, you can't let them know that he's a jerk.
But then they'll think that's how they're supposed to behave. They have to know better to be better.
Old 08-07-19, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is A&W a fast food place? Meaning no waiters or host and is seated cafeteria style?

If so, the guy definitely broke social norms by not politely asking if he can sit there.

But he's not wrong, those seats are for all customers and the SIL was sitting alone and took up a whole booth (which I assume is seating for 4 like most fast food places). I mean, this thread easily could have been flipped around - "A woman eating alone and taking up a whole booth wouldn't let me and my daughters sit in the other seats."

Culturally, its weird for us but in other parts of the world it isn't. If someone doesn't tell you where to sit, you take a seat that's open. Naturally, people will gravitate to where they can sit alone but if things are filling up you sit where you can, give a smile to the other occupants at the table and go on with your life.
Old 08-07-19, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If there was enough room on the other side of the booth, I would've sat right next to him and if he complains I would've just spewed the same nonsense he did.
Old 08-07-19, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Definitely weird. Heck sometimes if a place is too busy even if thereís seating Iíll just choose to get it to go or sometimes if I want to go someplace else before going home will just eat in my car quick. I wouldnít just sit down next to someone I didnít know.
Old 08-07-19, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
If there was enough room on the other side of the booth, I would've sat right next to him and if he complains I would've just spewed the same nonsense he did.
Even better, get all close to his kids. See how that would go.
Old 08-07-19, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

as someone else said its really weird here but common in Europe for people to share tables. To me its super weird if there were other tables free. I almost wonder if the guy was trying to squat and enjoy the AC without getting kicked out for having no food and was trying to "blend in"? For sure he should have asked her before sitting down.

Just re-read the original post and it makes some sense if the other booths with seating for 3 were all full which may have been the case in which case he still should have asked and explained.... truly odd.
Old 08-07-19, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Um yeah, a private place of business is certainly not "public". Why do so many idiots think that it is?
Because it is public. Sure, it's a private business and A&W can make some rules and decisions about how it wants to operate, but there are some ways in which it is public; if A&W opens its doors for business it must adhere to certain rules, and patrons certainly don't get to treat it as private. For the purposes of this scenario, it absolutely is public, she had no private rights to the empty seats at that table.

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
Is A&W a fast food place? Meaning no waiters or host and is seated cafeteria style?

If so, the guy definitely broke social norms by not politely asking if he can sit there.

But he's not wrong, those seats are for all customers and the SIL was sitting alone and took up a whole booth (which I assume is seating for 4 like most fast food places). I mean, this thread easily could have been flipped around - "A woman eating alone and taking up a whole booth wouldn't let me and my daughters sit in the other seats."

Culturally, its weird for us but in other parts of the world it isn't. If someone doesn't tell you where to sit, you take a seat that's open. Naturally, people will gravitate to where they can sit alone but if things are filling up you sit where you can, give a smile to the other occupants at the table and go on with your life.
Exactly. He broke social norms, no doubt, but without guidance from the business itself (like you would get with waiters/hosts who seat you at a specific table), she has no rights to the empty seats. They are public.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.