Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

D-Day 75th Anniversary

Old 06-06-19, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

D-Day 75th Anniversary

Here are some pictures from my trip last year, June 6, 2018.

American cemetary

American cemetary

Omaha beach, what's left of the german gun emplacements

omaha beach

utah beach from about 150 yards out

utah beach

Saint mere eglise as seen in The Longest Day

Pointe Du Hoc german gun battery

Omaha beach german machine battery
Old 06-06-19, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: D-Day 75th Anniversary

Accordingly, I watched the D-Day episode of Band of Brothers last night.
Old 06-06-19, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for posting the pics. Still awe-inspiring.
Old 06-06-19, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I still get chills from pix like that.
Old 06-06-19, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Looks exactly as it did when I visited in 1990. Probably will never change. Not for a long time.

When the summer comes around and it warms up do people ever go to the beach there?
Old 06-06-19, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Looks exactly as it did when I visited in 1990. Probably will never change. Not for a long time.

1990? How old are you now, 50-60? I thought you were younger

I was there on D-Day 2010. Awesome experience.

I don't recall what the name of the tour company was, but based on your photos, I'm guessing me and the OP went on the exact same tour. We hit all those same locations you have in the photos. Was it a morning and afternoon tour in a van with an included lunch break at a small farm house or something like that?
Old 06-07-19, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post

I don't recall what the name of the tour company was, but based on your photos, I'm guessing me and the OP went on the exact same tour. We hit all those same locations you have in the photos. Was it a morning and afternoon tour in a van with an included lunch break at a small farm house or something like that?
The beach and area is protected. SPR could not film there because of fear of damage. Not sure if people can actually "beach" later in the summer. It was obviously June 6, 2018 and the weather was like it was in 44. Foggy, misty, some waves.

I don't recall the name of the tour company either. If it wasn't the same tour company it sounds like the same all day tour of American battles. We did have lunch at a farmhouse type place. Around here it would be something like the Amish or Mennonites run. We saw Saint Mere Eglise, the two beaches, Pointe Du Hoc and the two cemeteries.

I wasn't that thrilled with Paris. After having seen it on day 1. I wished we had signed up for some of the multi-day tours like the BoB tour instead of just the one day tour. Far more interesting and the people up north far friendlier than Paris.
Old 06-07-19, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I always think of this part of BoB in reference to D-Day.
The pilot gave the paratroopers a choice; they could ride with the door off, giving them fresh air and a chance to get out if the plane was hit, or ride with the the door in place, which would allow them to smoke. They chose to take it off, which allowed [Carwood] Lipton to lie on the floor with his head partly out the door.

As the C-47 crossed the Channel, Lipton saw a sight no one had ever seen before, nor would anyone see again, a sight that every man who was in the air that night never forgot: the invasion fleet, 6,000 vessels strong, heading toward Normandy.

Gordon Carson was with Lieutenant Welsh. As the plane crossed the Channel, Welsh told the men near the front, "Look down." They did, "and all you could see was wakes. No one ever saw so many ships and boats before." Carson commented, "You had to be a little bit awed that you were part of a thing that was so much greater than you."
Ambrose, Stephen E. Band of Brothers. Simon & Shuster, 2001, p. 67.
Old 06-07-19, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for sharing the pics. It's hard, if not impossible for us to fathom what all those people went through. The sheer terror of landing on the beach must have been paralyzing.
Old 06-08-19, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post

Iím 40. I visited when I was in Jr High.

I googled a bit and found my own answer. There are plenty of photos of folks enjoying the beach in the summer.
Old 06-08-19, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here’s my personal feelings about D-Day.

I grew up in a beach town in California, and I’ve lived all my life near the beach. I’ve been in the waves at the beach as long as I can remember. The trickiest part of course is getting in. Getting in is what most people call getting out. Getting in means getting back onshore. That’s when you’re timing has to be perfect, that’s when you’ve got to move quick and then run like hell, usually uphill, as the wave nips at your heels.

I’m pretty sure my first knowledge of D-Day came from the movie The Longest Day. I was probably 7 or 8. And not the actual movie but this image

Last edited by Mabuse; 06-08-19 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-08-19, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Someone explained to me that there was some war and that they fought right up out of water and on to the beach. And I remember thinking they did it with their clothes on? And their boots and grenades and back packs and helmets! What were they thinking? Some of them must have drowned Some of them probably didn’t know how to swim.

I found it alarming.

From that day forward, every time I run back in I imagine doing it in boots and pants with 40 pounds of gear. Your feet sink into the wet sand! With extra weight you’d sink even faster. Your wet clothes alone would make you 20 pounds heavier. Stand still for just one second and you begin sinking. It’s not like quicksand and you’re going to sink down to your knees or anything, but you have to keep moving or you’re sinking and the next wave is going to hit you. And you’re running toward gunfire, toward explosions. To say I can’t imagine it would be a lie. I can imagine it. I know what wet, sandy, waterlogged boots feel like. Imagine running and fighting in that. Those guys’ boots probably didn’t dry out for 3 days. Just the discomfort of being wet and sandy and salty and cold would be like hell. Then they had to fight! Some had to climb cliffs or hike up steep draws with no trail. Just a fucking ordeal.

Last edited by Mabuse; 06-08-19 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-08-19, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I also recently learned that Stuart Cooper, who directed Overlord, graduated from my Alma Mater. And I didn’t even know he was American.
Old 06-11-19, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Someone explained to me that there was some war and that they fought right up out of water and on to the beach. And I remember thinking they did it with their clothes on? And their boots and grenades and back packs and helmets! What were they thinking? Some of them must have drowned Some of them probably didnít know how to swim.

I found it alarming.

From that day forward, every time I run back in I imagine doing it in boots and pants with 40 pounds of gear. Your feet sink into the wet sand! With extra weight youíd sink even faster. Your wet clothes alone would make you 20 pounds heavier. Stand still for just one second and you begin sinking. Itís not like quicksand and youíre going to sink down to your knees or anything, but you have to keep moving or youíre sinking and the next wave is going to hit you. And youíre running toward gunfire, toward explosions. To say I canít imagine it would be a lie. I can imagine it. I know what wet, sandy, waterlogged boots feel like. Imagine running and fighting in that. Those guysí boots probably didnít dry out for 3 days. Just the discomfort of being wet and sandy and salty and cold would be like hell. Then they had to fight! Some had to climb cliffs or hike up steep draws with no trail. Just a fucking ordeal.
Some landing craft let the men out in water over their heads and and many of them drowned right there.

I also recently learned that Stuart Cooper, who directed Overlord, graduated from my Alma Mater. And I didnít even know he was American.
Stuart Cooper was previously an actor and was one of the dozen in THE DIRTY DOZEN (1967). Many of his co-stars had served in the war.

Old 06-11-19, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Indeed. And I only recently saw the Dirty Dozen for the first time. And by the way when I say Alma Mater I mean my high school. Our most famous alumni is Frank Marshal, but frankly as I get older I more and more see him and his wife as executive stooges who were lucky to be friends with gifted filmmakers. Stuart Cooper is my new favorite.