Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Illinois highway toll by plate and the fines you get. Vent

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-30-19, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is more a a vent and get it off my chest then it is a complaint because it looks like I out of luck on this one.

​​​​​​Wife is working in Minnesota this summer.
Drove over to Michigan to visit mom and drove through Illinois.
Apparently they have a pay by license plate thing so thatís what she did or so she thought.

Her expectation was that she will go through the toll and get a bill in the mail and then pay it.
Reality is they wait until itís too late to pay on line and then send you a bill with additional fines that they want you to pay.

So for a handful of $1.50 tolls we have a bill now for $400+

On the phone they offer no recourse other then pay the bill or set up a hearing.
https://www.illinoistollway.com/toll...%20a%20Hearing
I found this info on the site.
  1. Lack of familiarity with our roads, signs, or tolling infrastructure are not considered grounds for the dismissal of violations. We appreciate that traveling from one jurisdiction to another often requires travelers to follow different traffic laws and practices, but hearing officers are charged with helping uphold the rules consistently across our 1.5 million daily drivers.
  2. The hearing officer does not have the legal authority to:
    • negotiate or offer a settlement
    • waive or lower the mandatory fine/toll amount
    • extend the payment deadline or grant a payment plan
  3. If a hearing officer finds you liable you will no longer be eligible for a settlement.

So going by that a hearing is pointless, basically sorry for your luck.

The other part is that Iím in Florida and she is in Minneapolis so going to a hearing is difficult.
I did see something about a hearing by mail so Iíll look deeper into that to see what that is.

What we have learned.
toll by mail isnít really toll by mail.
It isnít the state reading your plate and quickly sending you a bill.
It is them reading your plate and waiting 90 days for you to forget to pay, then sending a bill with fines that are about 10 times the actual toll price.

A $40 toll is now $440

Old 05-30-19, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Illinois highway toll by plate and the fines you get. Vent

The toll by mail means you pay online within 7 days. There's lots of signs up at all the tollways after you pass through them. The state has very little leeway when it comes to their revenue.

If you're going to be driving through IL a lot, even if you don't live here, I would suggest getting an Ipass for your car. We bought one for my parents for when they come to visit a few times a year since it's half the cash price.
Old 05-30-19, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Damn, that sucks, but yeah the signs do say to pay online. It's too late for this now, but Ipass is a good idea. I believe they work in other states now too, but I haven't tested that out. I hope you can get this worked out.

Oh, and P.S. Welcome to Illinois
Old 05-30-19, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did they completely eliminate cash lanes at the tolls?
Old 05-30-19, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Talkin2Phil View Post
Did they completely eliminate cash lanes at the tolls?
No - when you approach the tolls, there are signs directing the ipass traffic to keep left for open-road tolling, and cash customers to keep right.

If you exit the highway at a non-manned exit, there is typically a sign telling you how to pay your tolls online (or by mail or something - I dunno, I have an ipass)
Old 05-30-19, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Toll roads are trash. I’m so glad California has very few of them.
Old 05-30-19, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This happened to my ex once - I had her out of state plate on my iPass account originally but when she got IL plates I took it off not realizing they had a month backlog on charging photo based tolls.

They said she owed almost $600 on about $60. I fought with them on the phone long enough to get them down to something like $100. They may reduce it if you request it.

Oh and good luck paying online if you donít know the area. Sure thereís a sign by each plaza with the exit or plaza number, but unless you know to be looking for it and can take it down in time (and probably endanger yourself and others while you try to read it), then you have to try and figure it out from what path you took. Completely rigged to just get people to say ďfuck itĒ and pay the fines.
Old 05-30-19, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah. I wasn’t there so I have no idea what my wife was thinking on this.
Probably misunderstood what the pay by plate is there and didn’t think about looking at the signs
to see if there was a way to pay.

Im sure she just expected to get a bill in the mail and we would pay it.

That really doesn’t seem unreasonable to think.

Sh spoke to someone on the phone and they wouldn’t budge.
There are options to request a hearing through the mail or online so I guess we’ll be doing that.

maybe I’ll call tomorrow and see if I can make any headway. Offer to pay something less then $440.

We have until late June to try and get this fixed.

Old 05-30-19, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Toll roads are trash. I’m so glad California has very few of them.
But... we pay our "tolls" in an extremely high gas tax, very close to highest in the Nation, extremely high state income taxes, and the highest electricity costs in the country as well!
Old 05-30-19, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I missed a single toll outside Chicago (a roadside one at an exit) on the way back from Wisconsin last year, and when I called them to pay it the next day, I was flat out told not to worry about it. There is a ďgrace periodĒ of three missed tolls in a 12-month period, and since I had no plans to pass through again for another 12 months, they will dismiss it before I have another opportunity to miss any more toll booths.
Old 05-30-19, 09:00 PM

That's lame. I feel like I was able to go to a website and pay within 7 days and it was fine. Also, hope your wife is enjoying Minneapolis. How long is she here ? You moving here or is it temporary? If she's bored, she can hang out with us, we're cool. Well, I'm not, but my wife is.
Old 05-30-19, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Story she is a traveling nurse.
She’ll be there till the end of July.

I probably won’t be there but I do appreciate the very kind offer.

Old 05-31-19, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by whotony View Post
Yeah. I wasnít there so I have no idea what my wife was thinking on this.
Probably misunderstood what the pay by plate is there and didnít think about looking at the signs
to see if there was a way to pay.

Im sure she just expected to get a bill in the mail and we would pay it.

That really doesnít seem unreasonable to think.

Sh spoke to someone on the phone and they wouldnít budge.
There are options to request a hearing through the mail or online so I guess weíll be doing that.

maybe Iíll call tomorrow and see if I can make any headway. Offer to pay something less then $440.

We have until late June to try and get this fixed.

Yes. That's the way it works, here. You either have a transponder, or they read your plate (and charge you another $3.50 or so), then they send you a bill at the end of the month.

It sucks that it's very expensive to use, but I still use it whenever possible. The alternative toll-free routes usually suck.
Old 05-31-19, 06:12 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

All that just to eliminate the attendants at the toll booths? What a fucked up state...

Remind me never to drive through Illinois.

Sucks that you have to study up on local traffic laws in every state you drive through for fear of angering the watchful eyes of the long arm of the law. Kind of makes a person want to stay at home.
Old 05-31-19, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
All that just to eliminate the attendants at the toll booths? What a fucked up state...

Sucks that you have to study up on local traffic laws in every state you drive through for fear of angering the watchful eyes of the long arm of the law. Kind of makes a person want to stay at home.
Actually, all that to eliminate STOPPING for a toll both. Open road tolling. It's a wonderful solution to a shitty situation.
Old 05-31-19, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post

Yeah, Illinois is the only state to do this
Old 05-31-19, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In the mid '90s a friend would throw change into the coin basket hard enough to trip the sensor with the change bouncing out on the road and toll pedestal.
Old 05-31-19, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by emanon View Post
Actually, all that to eliminate STOPPING for a toll both. Open road tolling. It's a wonderful solution to a shitty situation.
Sounds more like they found a way to turn $4 toll into a $400 toll and eliminate toll operators and stopping for toll booths, which most toll roads I have seen have a fast pass lane for those that do not want to stop anyway.
Old 05-31-19, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had something like this happen to me in MD, there was a new highway on the way to the airport that was a toll road. I was in a rental car without a transponder (didn't know I needed one) and ended up going on a toll road with the transponder attendantess route. I had to pay a $20 fine on top of the small toll to pay it online. this was ~10 years back and I was a little pissed as it came out of pocket as work does not pay for "violations"
Old 05-31-19, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Colorado mails the bill to the address associated to the license plate. I assume this would happen monthly. That seems like a much better scenario than the way Illinois does it.
Old 05-31-19, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mndtrp View Post
Colorado mails the bill to the address associated to the license plate. I assume this would happen monthly. That seems like a much better scenario than the way Illinois does it.
That's how the bridge tolls work in New York (Throgs Neck and Whitestone, at least). We got a bill in the mail about two weeks after getting home, with plenty of time to pay it online or by check.
Old 05-31-19, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
But... we pay our "tolls" in an extremely high gas tax, very close to highest in the Nation, extremely high state income taxes, and the highest electricity costs in the country as well!
Yeah but we donít have to stop and throw dimes out our windows or have fucking transponders on our dash boards.
Old 05-31-19, 10:37 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

When they first built a toll road right next to my complex, the tolls were a quarter and the coin baskets were notoriously bad. It’d almost always take two passes for the quarter to take, it failing into a ‘change’ receptacle under the basket on initial attempts. Most people would just throw in another quarter instead of reaching down for their first one.

These change pots would fill up to overflowing. I’d always take at least one handful after my quarter passed through, so probably ‘made money’ on that toll road the first few years. Now, instead of a quarter, the tolls are like $3 each way, and everyone uses a smart pass.
Old 05-31-19, 12:10 PM

I’ve gotten fucked over many times due to that godforsaken state. Not to the tune of $400, but well over $200 over the years.
Old 05-31-19, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So glad I don't have to regularly drive in Illinois anymore (which I did in the 90s). The combination of obnoxious tolls, almost criminal speed traps (my mom once got a ticket for speeding by 10 mph from a cop who was hiding immediately after the speed limit dropped by 10 mph), and nightmare drivers made it rank as my personal worst driving state.

I really do think officials in these states intentionally try to trick unfamiliar drivers to rip them off of fine money. I had a somewhat similar confusing issue when I was driving through Florida (a state I had never driven in before) about 3 months ago. Part of my route had me taking a toll road. Going there was easy ... there was a human toll booth attendant option and I chose that (it was only $1). But going back (the exact same route) there was no human. The only options I saw were lanes marked for drivers with passes (which I didn't have) and an exact chance lane (which I didn't have). There was a toll attendant a little further on. When I told her about my problem, she said I would just get a bill in the mail within a couple of weeks for the $1 (plus a small service change). That was 3 months ago and I never got a bill (the address on my driver's license is where I live). I fully expect a three figure fine to arrive at any moment

Last edited by brainee; 05-31-19 at 01:29 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.