Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Today is my nephew's high school graduation ceremony

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-18-19, 12:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Today is my youngest nephew's high school graduation ceremony. I wish him well and all that stuff when he goes to college or a tech school later this year.

Anyone else having a high school graduation ceremony today or any of your family members graduating today?
Old 05-18-19, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Today is my nephew's high school graduation ceremony

Not today, but my 5 year old twins are "graduating" from pre-school. They're even going all out with a ceremony next week. Fun times. I prefer this kind of news than our usual dose of dark reality. Here's to hoping the next generations start making true changes for the better.
Old 05-18-19, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

My niece graduated college last weekend. I don't know what she'll do next. She majored in French and studied Japanese. She was saying that she'd like to be a translator.

Her mom, my sister, didn't really learn French until she spent a semester in Montreal with roommates who didn't speak English. Book learning only gets you so far. After that experience, my sister was fully bilingual. I think my niece is going to have to leave Indiana to get some seasoning.
Old 05-18-19, 01:33 PM

yeah theres a big differences between learning stuff from book smart and then there's street smart where you really have to learn as youre on your own in a foreign city. Can rely on a text book forever.

Gonna have to use your brain and your skills while in another foreign country to speak their language on the go
Old 05-18-19, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

My daughter is done with school but won't have her graduation ceremony for another two weeks. WTF?

I think there's such a demand for the Thomas & Mack center that the lower-priorities (not UNLV related schools) just have to wait.
Old 05-18-19, 07:29 PM

Well im back from the graduation party/reception.

food was decent. basically ham and cheese sandwiches, watermelown, chips and nuts
Old 05-18-19, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

What’s the Thomas and Mack center?
Old 05-18-19, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
What’s the Thomas and Mack center?
UNLV basketball arena. Lots of Las Vegas graduations take place there.
Old 05-19-19, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My nephew graduates from high school next Saturday. I have no hope of him ever being a productive member of society. He turned 18 this past February and is as lazy as the day is long. He refuses to get a job, yet expects his Mother (my wife's sister) to pay for everything while he sits on his ass all day and night playing video games. It's hard to feel sorry for her because this is the monster she and my Mother In Law created.

I married into the family when he was just three. His Mom and Grandmother have always gave him anything he's every asked for and then some on a silver platter. He asked this girl who is the biggest slut in his school to the prom and expected his Mom to pay for everything. She kicked up a fuss at first, but as always, she caved and bought everything as I told my wife she would.

I no longer go around him because he treats his Mother like crap. When he doesn't get what he wants, (which is very, very rare) He calls his mom every name in the book and then some. Last month he even called her a whore for getting pregnant with him without being married. I have always tried to be a positive male role model and big brother type to him because his Dad let his Mom right after he was born.

Last July, he got mad at his Mom, stole the car keys out of her purse and took off with her car. She called and asked would I go out and look for him and I did. After I found him, called his Mom to tell her he was ok, I spend the next two hours trying to talk some sense into the boy, which went in one ear and out the other. All I know is his Mom is in for a long, hard road with him now that he's finished school and has no plans whatsoever to get a job.
Old 05-19-19, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

^ Sorry for your pain. He'll have to learn the hard way (jail, prison, or worse) that the world isn't meant to serve him...
Old 05-19-19, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So this either got lost in translation or is accurate but my mom said that my niece will graduate but then go back to school for a week before summer break begins, that just sounds....odd. My nieces school is part of the Los Angeles School District. Is this now a thing, graduation ceremony takes place then students stay in school for another week?
Old 05-20-19, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

maybe they missed some days of school and need to make it up?