Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Referring to future days

Old 04-26-19, 07:59 AM

Referring to future days

I just wanted to hold an informal unscientific survey here:

If it were Monday the 1st and your uncle said he was leaving for vacation next Saturday, what's the date that comes to mind for you?
Old 04-26-19, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Referring to future days

I'd say the 6th, as that would literally be the next Saturday.
Old 04-26-19, 08:08 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

IMO, this coming Saturday would be in 5 days (the 6th), next Saturday would be the following Saturday, (the 13th), although if your uncle had said the next Saturday, I would say the 6th.
Old 04-26-19, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would assume the 13th.
Old 04-26-19, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

13th. Leaving for vacation Saturday would be the 6th. Next Saturday is the following week.
Old 04-26-19, 08:43 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

I wouldn't assume shit, and I'd ask Uncle Barnaby to clarify the exact date he's showing up because language is weird.
Old 04-26-19, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
IMO, this coming Saturday would be in 5 days (the 6th), next Saturday would be the following Saturday, (the 13th), although if your uncle had said the next Saturday, I would say the 6th.
This would be my default interpretation, but if it mattered at all, I would ask for clarification.
Old 04-26-19, 09:23 AM

Agreed.

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I wouldn't assume shit, and I'd ask Uncle Barnaby to clarify the exact date he's showing up because language is weird.
Absolutely not. If movies have taught us anything, never clarify, never wonder out loud, never communicate. Just assume and let the hijinks ensue.
Old 04-26-19, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Agreed, this is one flaw in our language as far as I'm concerned. We shouldn't have to ask "Do you mean the upcoming Saturday or the one after that?" But we do have to ask that in order to be 100% clear, because to me, next Saturday means the 6th, that's the NEXT Saturday, dammit!
Old 04-26-19, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Agreed, this is one flaw in our language as far as I'm concerned. We shouldn't have to ask "Do you mean the upcoming Saturday or the one after that?" But we do have to ask that in order to be 100% clear, because to me, next Saturday means the 6th, that's the NEXT Saturday, dammit!
Just because language is so fun, is "this Saturday" exactly the same as "next Saturday" to you?
Old 04-26-19, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'd ask why the hell he was telling me this. We haven't spoken in years.
Old 04-26-19, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd ask for clarification. "Next [day]" always seems ambiguous to me. This Saturday would be the 6th. A week from Saturday would be the 13th. Next Saturday could mean either one. If it's close enough to Saturday, like Thursday or Friday, it would probably mean the 13th, but it's still not 100% positive.
Old 04-26-19, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk God

I have this same argument with my wife. Glad to know I am not the only crazy one.
Old 04-26-19, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
Just because language is so fun, is "this Saturday" exactly the same as "next Saturday" to you?
It is to me. If someone said "this Saturday" or "next Saturday", I would think they were talking about the 6th.
Old 04-26-19, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would assume the 13th, but if they are saying it on Monday, I make sure to clarify for the exact reason you're doing this study.
Old 04-26-19, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's how I say it. If today were Monday, next Saturday would be in 5 days.

But! If today were Friday, next Saturday would be in 8 days.

I'm not sure when the changeover occurs. Wednesday, maybe? It's definitely 9 days on Thursday. And it's definitely 6 days on Sunday.
Old 04-26-19, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

13th, but Ass U me and what have you. I agree with the "This Saturday" vs "Next Saturday" but everybody does it differently.
Old 04-26-19, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ben12 View Post
I'd ask for clarification. "Next [day]" always seems ambiguous to me. This Saturday would be the 6th. A week from Saturday would be the 13th. Next Saturday could mean either one. If it's close enough to Saturday, like Thursday or Friday, it would probably mean the 13th, but it's still not 100% positive.
agree, if it was Friday the 5th I'd assume he was talking about the 13th, but since it's Monday the 1st I might think it's the 6th, but I'd ask either way.
Old 04-26-19, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you mean the 13th, the proper usage is "Saturday next".
Old 04-26-19, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd assume the 6th, but if you assumed the 13th, just tell him...I'm sure he'll understand why his pets and plants are dead.
Old 04-26-19, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good question. To make it clear, I would word it either "this coming Saturday" or, in the event it's the 13th, "the Saturday after next".
Old 04-26-19, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Saturday coming up is this Saturday. Next Saturday would be the following one. I have always believed this.

However, swapping Saturdays for bus stops makes me think I may be wrong ... It depends how it is framed. Let’s say you have already passed Stop A.

I ask you, “Are you getting off at the next stop?” I presume we would all say the next stop is Stop B. Right?

Same timing ... I ask “Are you getting of at this stop?” I still presume we would all say this stop is Stop B coming up. Right?

Same timing again, but this time I ask “Are you getting of at this stop or the next one?” I presume we would all agree “this stop” is Stop B and “the next one” is Stop C. Right?

And if I change my answer, there is a 67% chance I am now right.
Old 04-27-19, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

People say "next Saturday" when they really mean "This coming Saturday," so I would assume that, intentionally knowing myself that it is technically incorrect.

And, *I* would say Saturday, May 13th to avoid all possible confusion by those who can't be bothered to know how to properly speak, and the proper distinction between "This coming Saturday" and "Next Saturday."
Old 04-27-19, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by L Everett Scott View Post
I just wanted to hold an informal unscientific survey here:

If it were Monday the 1st and your uncle said he was leaving for vacation next Saturday, what's the date that comes to mind for you?
In this scenario, Saturday the sixth is just “Saturday.” Using “this” to modify it is superfluous, and “next” is imprecise and confusing as to the intent of the speaker. But people still say it, and there’s no consistency. And if you ask them to clarify what they mean by “next Saturday” they look at you like you’re an idiot.

I think of it like “this week” and “next week.” “This Saturday” is the sixth. “Next Saturday” is the thirteenth. Though I see no need to modify the first upcoming day of the week with an adjective.
Old 04-27-19, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would ask do you mean the 6th or the 13th?

Because of all the previous reasons listed.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.