Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

New York considering banning hot dogs and other processed meats over climate change

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

New York considering banning hot dogs and other processed meats over climate change

Old 04-25-19, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

These people are nuts!

Yes they are not healthy but you and not the government should tell you what you can eat.

New York City may be on the verge of outlawing its signature encased meat, the hot dog, alongside other "processed meats," in a bid to make New Yorkers more climate conscious.Radio station Z100 reports that Mayor Bill de Blaiso signed into law New York's own version of the "Green New Deal" last week, and part of the NYC GND involves teaching New Yorkers to make healthy, environmentally friendly food choices by banning specific, "problematic" dishes from city menus."The plan," Z100 says, "will cut purchases of red meat by 50 percent in its city-controlled facilities such as hospitals, schools, and correctional facilities.

The new commitment builds off of the Meatless Mondays campaign that was adopted by all NYC schools in 2017."New Yorkers will be able to keep their precious hot dog street carts, and tourists will still be able to fill up on dirty water dogs in Times Square — at least for now.

The Green New Deal only prohibits city facilities from buying and serving hot dogs and other processed meats in bulk to serve in city-run cafeterias, mostly located in city office buildings, jails, and schools.De Blasio did note, while signing the GND, that New Yorkers should be prepared to make big sacrifices in order to save the planet, however. And if the current legislative scheme isn't enough to reduce carbon emissions in the city, he may consider expanding the program's ban.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/46431...-emily-zanotti

Old 04-25-19, 08:03 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Re: New York considering banning hot dogs and other processed meats over climate change

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
I agree; the "journalists" at The Daily Wire are nuts and should not be depended on for any sort of "news."
Old 04-25-19, 08:39 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: New York considering banning hot dogs and other processed meats over climate change

Banning hot dogs will save the planet?
Old 04-25-19, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This is just as stupid as the (failed, I think?) attempted ban on soft drinks a few years ago. Absolutely insane.

By all means, if there is an incentive offered to get people to stop eating "bad" foods such as hot dogs, then have at it. I'd take a discount off my already completely batshit insane health insurance costs if the evil, greedy insurance company told me that discount could only be had if I agreed not to eat hot dogs.
Old 04-26-19, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't live in New York but they will take my braunschweiger when they pry my cold dead chubby fingers from it.
Old 04-26-19, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

^ No shit!

ETA: I'll put goddamned ketchup on my hot dog too, if I want to .
Old 04-26-19, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did any of you even the read the article? He's not banning hot dogs. You'll still be able to buy plenty of street meat. He just is reducing the purchasing of it by government entities such as cafeterias, jails, and schools.
Old 04-26-19, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
Did any of you even the read the article? He's not banning hot dogs. You'll still be able to buy plenty of street meat. He just is reducing the purchasing of it by government entities such as cafeterias, jails, and schools.
And it's not even a ban. It says the plan would be to cut purchasing by 50%. So basically the article headline is nothing but fucking click bait.
Old 04-26-19, 12:18 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
And it's not even a ban. It says the plan would be to cut purchasing by 50%. So basically the article headline is nothing but fucking click bait.
Or as I said...

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I agree; the "journalists" at The Daily Wire are nuts and should not be depended on for any sort of "news."
Old 04-26-19, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kurt D View Post

ETA: I'll put goddamned ketchup on my hot dog too, if I want to .
Heresy!

(no, I put ketchup on mine too. But I love it when some folks get precious about what condiments should go on something that is essentially junk meat It's a fucking hot dog, not filet mignon)
Old 04-26-19, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah, now filet mignon dipped in ketchup is good eatin’!
Old 04-26-19, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I also tried to 'Eat like Andy' the other day. Mmmm that was tasty.
Old 04-26-19, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Ah, now filet mignon dipped in ketchup is good eatin’!
Ooooo, and spread butter on it first!
Old 04-26-19, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
Did any of you even the read the article?
No one does we just want to be outraged by reading the title...
Old 04-26-19, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

Mmmm... juicy clickbait. Not as tasty as a hotdog with relish and mustard though.
Old 04-26-19, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

I'm glad I grew up before these idiots took over.
Old 04-27-19, 04:05 AM
Political Exile

Old 04-27-19, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't been to NYC in a few years but based on my last visit and the proliferation of food trucks that serve virtually anything you can think of from around the world, why would anyone want to eat a nasty hot dog from a street cart?
Old 04-27-19, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I haven't been to NYC in a few years but based on my last visit and the proliferation of food trucks that serve virtually anything you can think of from around the world, why would anyone want to eat a nasty hot dog from a street cart?
I’m guessing price and nostalgia would be two reasons. Also hot dogs are easier to eat while walking which is I believe why they’ve always been popular in NYC.
Old 04-27-19, 10:21 AM

Bunch of savages in this thread. I’m gonna go eat a hotdog with mustard and pat myself on the back.
Old 04-27-19, 10:44 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
Also hot dogs are easier to eat while walking which is I believe why they’ve always been popular in NYC.
Goddamn right. Even two at a time.
Old 04-27-19, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I would have thought that the hot dog would be the perfect global warming food. Nobody likes a lukewarm or cold dog.
Old 04-27-19, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why not make people watch video of hot dogs being made? Probably more effective.
Old 04-28-19, 08:03 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
Why not make people watch video of hot dogs being made? Probably more effective.
There was a Jamie Oliver video where he showed a group of kids the entire process for how McDonald's chicken nuggets are made (including the part where it looks like pink playdoh, if I recall) and then showed them how homemade ones are made, then asked them to pick which one they'd eat.

They all picked the pink playdoh nuggets.

Basically, we're all doomed.
Old 04-28-19, 09:02 PM
Political Exile

For those who don't consider the Daily Wire to be a reliable source, here's a somewhat related article from the New York Post: https://nypost.com/2019/04/22/de-bla...l-skyscrapers/

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.