Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Which exotic meats have you tried?

Old 04-17-19, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Which exotic meats have you tried?

I can't eat fish/seafood due to allergies. The same goes for chicken (other than in egg form) and other winged creatures. So my meat diet mainly consists of beef and pork. Since I can't eat poultry and seafood, I like to try some exotic meats of other mamals or similiar animals. A restaurant about 30 miles from me has an exotic game month every year and every day they offer a different exotic meat during the month and rotate some of the more popular ones a few times during the month.

So far I've tried buffalo, elk, wild boar, venison, and yak. i've tried a few others in jerkey form, but I don't count those as the often mix beef or pork in with them so you don't really get the true taste of the other meats. I just tried a yak burger at the restaurant yesterday and have to say it was the best tasting burger I've ever had. I don't think the taste is too different from beef. If someone was to be served a yak burger without being told, they very likely may not realize it easn't beef. They would just think it was very lean and tasty. After eating the yak, my wife gave me a piece of her beef burger. Only then could I really tell the difference. I'm going to try and get there a few more times during the month and try a few others. Every Wednesday is camel burgers. I also want to try the kangaroo burgers. They sold out before I got there last week, so i'm hoping they put that one back on rotation.

They also have their famous tarantula burgers which is basically a beef burger with a fried tarantula on top. They are somewhat expensive (over $20) and you have to enter a lottery to be able to get one as they don't have that many. i don't think I'd ever try that one. I'm not to interested in the insect ones they offer, but they have several of those as desserts or appetizers.
Old 04-17-19, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Which exotic meats have you tried?

Hmm, I've tried wild boar, venison and bear, and for more exotic meats, in Japan I've tried: horse, whale, fugu (poison blow fish), and female Shanghai crab filled with little eggs (sounds disgusting, but oh my god it was delicious!) and probably a bunch of other kinds of weird seafood that I can't remember. Next on my bucket list when I go there will be chicken sashimi (yep, raw chicken. Ok the meat itself isn't exotic but the preparation is).
Old 04-17-19, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ Dude, nobody just casually mentions that they ate Fugu. I need some deets!

Also never heard of eating bear. What is that like?
Old 04-17-19, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've eaten shark and a cow's heart before.
Old 04-17-19, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

A restaurant here has a pretty good kangaroo burger.
Old 04-17-19, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Lets see in the US; Bison, venison and moose, shark and all sorts of seafood. I might have had a bear meatloaf but I think it was venison (camping 10 years back w friends so its hazy)
Switzerland; Kangaroo and horse, Norway; Whale
Old 04-17-19, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In Japan-- whale, fugu, sea cucumber, jellyfish
In Alaska-- bear, moose, caribou
Also, boar and venison
Old 04-17-19, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Alligator, venison, buffalo. I had something at one of the big outdoor stores (Bass Pro or similar) restaurant but can't remember what it was. Might have been some kind of antlered animal.
Old 04-17-19, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson View Post
Alligator, venison, buffalo. I had something at one of the big outdoor stores (Bass Pro or similar) restaurant but can't remember what it was. Might have been some kind of antlered animal.

Old 04-17-19, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
^ Dude, nobody just casually mentions that they ate Fugu. I need some deets!

Also never heard of eating bear. What is that like?
Sure! I ate it at a restaurant in Japan around 15 years that specializes in fugu. It was served in three courses, first as sashimi, then pan fried, and whatever was left was cooked in a nabe (kind of like a hot pot that everyone at the table eats from). I think it cost around $150 a person, luckily my father-in-law treated us (and luckily I have a good relationship with him, so he didn't tell the chef to leave a bit of poison in mine ). It was a cool experience, but I didn't think the fish itself was anything amazing, I've had much better types of sashimi.

The bear meat was in a sausage (maybe mixed with pork). It tasted pretty wild and gamy, but I just wanted to try something different.
Old 04-17-19, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
In Japan-- whale, fugu, sea cucumber, jellyfish
Oh that's right, I also had jellyfish in Japan, but never sea cucumber. I've had the opportunity, and usually don't turn down trying new kinds of food, but those things just gross me out.
Old 04-17-19, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Did you feel any tingling in your fingers or anything like that ?
Old 04-17-19, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

I've had plenty of unusual and game meats in the Americas and Europe over the years and grew up eating innards because that's my heritage (Southern, y'all).

I like sushi too. I tried various insect dishes back in middle school and didn't find them objectionable. After all, I eat crawdads, shrimp, crab, and lobster.

I was raised to eat what was set before me and to clean the plate, so I'll try anything twice just in case the first time it was cooked wrong.
Old 04-17-19, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Did you feel any tingling in your fingers or anything like that ?
I thought I felt a bit of tingling, but it might have been my imagination. I trusted that the chef knew what he was doing (they have to be specially licensed by the government and all) but if I had felt some real tingling I probably would have freaked out a bit. Apparently the poison is very strong, I guess it's the thrill of eating something that could kill you if not prepared properly that is the attraction for most. From what I've heard, most of the people that do die from eating fugu are fishermen that caught it themselves and thought they knew how to prepare it safely, but didn't. That shit takes serious training, I don't think very many people have died from eating it at a restaurant.

Old 04-17-19, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I had an ostrich burger at Fudruckers once. Does that count?
Old 04-17-19, 02:24 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Eating Ostrich is like +10 points, but eating (anything) at Fuddruckers is -6.
So you get 4 points for that one.

I don't make up the rules*.

*yes I do.
Old 04-17-19, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Shark, ostrich, alligator, buffalo ... not sure if there has been anything else or not.

None of it was anything that I would rave about or “have to have” again. I could have sworn the alligator was chicken (fried). The ostrich burger was OK but too dry for my taste. The shark ... I don’t recall anything about it other than my son will not eat fish to this day. The buffalo, like the ostrich, was a bit lean for my taste.
Old 04-17-19, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, some of the "exotic" stuff I've tried, like venison, bear, etc. are too lean as well.

I just remembered a couple more things I've had: frog legs (tasted like greasy chicken wings) and turtle soup.

I'm with you, most of the weird stuff I've tried wasn't so tasty that I need to try them again, except the Shanghai crab full of crab eggs. That shit was amazingly rich and delicious (I've had it twice at a nice Chinese restaurant in Yokohama's Chinatown).
Old 04-17-19, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nobody has eaten squirrel? It's good stuff.
Old 04-17-19, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Shark, ostrich, alligator, buffalo, elk, rabbit, and venison. Also snails and frog legs.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 04-17-19 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-17-19, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
Nobody has eaten squirrel? It's good stuff.
Primarily in pot pie, but also simmered then chicken fried. It is a game meat, after all. My very first hunting experiences as a child were hunting grays with a pellet rifle, then a .410 shotgun (both of which I still have but haven't fired in over 30 years).
Old 04-17-19, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mongolian meat
Old 04-17-19, 07:27 PM

I ate a horse's heart, but only to impress the Dothraki. I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 04-17-19, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love chicken hearts and gizzards, does that count? Chicken hearts sauteed in butter and garlic have a taste and texture similar to escargot, which I also love. Hey, escargot, there's another one for my list!
Old 04-17-19, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

23 replies and no sex talk yet. I'm out of here.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.