Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Felicity Huffman (and dozens of others) arrested/charged with fraud - College Admissions

Other Talk "Otterville"

Felicity Huffman (and dozens of others) arrested/charged with fraud - College Admissions

Old 03-12-19, 04:33 PM
  #51  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Posts: 20,053
Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts
re: Felicity Huffman (and dozens of others) arrested/charged with fraud - College Admissions

Approximately 30 CEO’s of major firms are indicted in this too. Biggest being former CEO of bond trading firm PIMCO.

The guy also solicited bribes and told his clients they were fully tax deductible donations to his “foundation”. So they’ve all defrauded the IRS.
Old 03-12-19, 04:58 PM
  #52  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 47,778
Received 471 Likes on 391 Posts
re: Felicity Huffman (and dozens of others) arrested/charged with fraud - College Admissions

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Federal funding. IRS fraud. Those require federal-level involvement.

Also, it's in multiple states.

I think it's more than just celebrities. This is organized, taking away slots from people who could have gone to college but got bumped thanks to these wealthy people. Over 50 people involved....that's more than a petty crime. Organized crime.
Yeah, I don’t get the “law enforcement is only pursuing this because of the celebrities” argument, though I guess it would fit the “what’s in it for me” system of governing we have these days.

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Turns out I’m closer to this thing than I realized. The guy is my neighbor. The press is out in front of his house. I never saw the guy come or go. Never met the guy. The house has been for sale for about 3 weeks.
Old 03-12-19, 05:11 PM
  #53  
DVD Talk Godfather
Thread Starter
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 53,738
Received 151 Likes on 111 Posts
re: Felicity Huffman (and dozens of others) arrested/charged with fraud - College Admissions

Mabuse gonna be 2nd-hand famous!
Old 03-12-19, 05:48 PM
  #54  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 15,006
Received 331 Likes on 234 Posts
re: Felicity Huffman (and dozens of others) arrested/charged with fraud - College Admissions

I'm beginning to think that rich people can buy anything they want.

Naaahh, I'm being paranoid.
Old 03-12-19, 05:49 PM
  #55  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 4,217
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
re: Felicity Huffman (and dozens of others) arrested/charged with fraud - College Admissions

I gotta believe Lori is toastt at hallmark now....
Old 03-12-19, 06:04 PM
  #56  
BDB
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Palm Springs and Los Angeles
Posts: 21,593
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
re: Felicity Huffman (and dozens of others) arrested/charged with fraud - College Admissions

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Turns out I’m closer to this thing than I realized. The guy is my neighbor. The press is out in front of his house. I never saw the guy come or go. Never met the guy. The house has been for sale for about 3 weeks.

I worked at the same firm as one of the guys who got his kid in. Weird reading it.
Old 03-12-19, 06:15 PM
  #57  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 34,996
Received 649 Likes on 505 Posts
re: Felicity Huffman (and dozens of others) arrested/charged with fraud - College Admissions

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
I'm beginning to think that rich people can buy anything they want.

Naaahh, I'm being paranoid.

Only if you're POTUS and/or a politician.

Old 03-12-19, 06:16 PM
  #58  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Posts: 20,053
Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts
re: Felicity Huffman (and dozens of others) arrested/charged with fraud - College Admissions

I need a big DVDTalk sign to hold up. They already went live at 4:00. They’ll probably go live at 6:00 and 11:00 too. And the guy isn’t even home. He plead guilty hours ago in Boston. The shit is hitting fan really fast in this story. USC water polo coach already fired. He was the winningest coach in the sport’s history.
Old 03-12-19, 06:19 PM
  #59  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 71,383
Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
re: Felicity Huffman (and dozens of others) arrested/charged with fraud - College Admissions

Wait...you DON'T have a big DVDTalk sign ready to go? Expect moderator action.
Old 03-12-19, 06:21 PM
  #60  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 36,833
Received 611 Likes on 442 Posts
re: Felicity Huffman (and dozens of others) arrested/charged with fraud - College Admissions

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I need a big DVDTalk sign to hold up. They already went live at 4:00. They’ll probably go live at 6:00 and 11:00 too.
If only you had a Boron Cow Punch shirt. That would be epic if you showed up on a live feed.
Old 03-12-19, 06:25 PM
  #61  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
stvn1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 5,411
Received 94 Likes on 65 Posts
re: Felicity Huffman (and dozens of others) arrested/charged with fraud - College Admissions

Without rich people getting their brats into college we wouldn't have Presidents George W. Bush and Donald Trump.
Old 03-12-19, 06:45 PM
  #62  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 60,891
Received 2,884 Likes on 1,896 Posts
re: Felicity Huffman (and dozens of others) arrested/charged with fraud - College Admissions

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
The shit is hitting fan really fast in this story. USC water polo coach already fired. He was the winningest coach in the sport’s history.
They snagged him in Waikiki. Aloha means Goodbye!
Old 03-12-19, 06:48 PM
  #63  
DVD Talk Godfather
Thread Starter
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 53,738
Received 151 Likes on 111 Posts
re: Felicity Huffman (and dozens of others) arrested/charged with fraud - College Admissions

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
Without rich people getting their brats into college we wouldn't have Presidents George W. Bush and Donald Trump.

They didn't just donate money and in return, get favors. They didn't funnel money money via organizations that were named after them, either. That was too "unpredictable" for them. They wanted something more guaranteed. So, they decided to go even further than what our political system tolerates.
Old 03-12-19, 06:51 PM
  #64  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite
Posts: 1,952
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Felicity Huffman (and dozens of others) arrested/charged with fraud - College Admissions

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen View Post
Yeah, I don't anything about their daughter, but I feel bad for her. I can't imagine her wanting to go to any school now, where she'll feel like a joke, everyone figuring she's a dummy who can't get anywhere in life without her parent's buying it for her. I have no way of knowing if she grew up being spoiled or if she grew up like a good kid, but either way Macy and Huffman have absolutely failed her as parents.
I don't know if I would feel bad about their daughter. she might be in on the grift.

Ms. Giannulli, 19, is the daughter of the actress Lori Loughlin and the designer Mossimo Giannulli, whose fashion brand was sold at Target until 2017. Ms. Giannulli is a social media influencer with close to two million YouTube subscribers and over a million Instagram followers. In September, she posted two paid advertisements on Instagram that highlighted her identity as a student.
LINK
Old 03-12-19, 06:51 PM
  #65  
Member
 
ScHoLaR oF SMuT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: canada
Posts: 151
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
re: Felicity Huffman (and dozens of others) arrested/charged with fraud - College Admissions

so jody foster, brooke shields, and puff daddy's kids are stupid. oh i can smell the making of a splatterpunk jap-revenge horror about the middle class uproar already :
"revenge of the unwashed fucks"- hordes of thrift shop hipsters converge on harvard...starring malala, mickey rourke and presenting will smiths son's friend's stepsister.. special cameo by Jesus.... and the orphans
Old 03-12-19, 06:53 PM
  #66  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite
Posts: 1,952
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Felicity Huffman (and dozens of others) arrested/charged with fraud - College Admissions

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
USC has fired their senior associate athletic director and its water polo coach, both named in indictments. Can't imagine embattled AD Lynn Swann is going to be able to weather this storm.
Man, it's one scandal after another at USC.
Old 03-12-19, 06:54 PM
  #67  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Signal Hill, CA
Posts: 3,493
Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts
re: Felicity Huffman (and dozens of others) arrested/charged with fraud - College Admissions

Anybody who doesn't realize by this time in their lives that the rich play by different rules is as stupid as the kids of the rich people who couldn't honestly get into a good college.
Old 03-12-19, 06:56 PM
  #68  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 43,268
Received 600 Likes on 484 Posts
re: Felicity Huffman (and dozens of others) arrested/charged with fraud - College Admissions

I'm just amazed anybody paid $15,000 for a 1420 on the SATs. I mean that's a really great score, but $15k? Sheesh.

Still, their entry seems mild compared to the others and she had the same $250,000 bond that Roger Stone got

Last edited by RichC2; 03-12-19 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-12-19, 07:06 PM
  #69  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Posts: 20,053
Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts
re: Felicity Huffman (and dozens of others) arrested/charged with fraud - College Admissions

Originally Posted by Franchot View Post
Anybody who doesn't realize by this time in their lives that the rich play by different rules is as stupid as the kids of the rich people who couldn't honestly get into a good college.
This is a little different. A little “legacy status” and donations is legit. This was a massive conspiracy that is bringing down NCAA teams. And cheating on the SAT!
Old 03-12-19, 07:06 PM
  #70  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 6,722
Received 473 Likes on 379 Posts
re: Felicity Huffman (and dozens of others) arrested/charged with fraud - College Admissions

This has been going on for DECADES. Now, it's just another expose, the latest in fact in a stream of them. It started with the women calling out men in high places for making real (or imagined!) sexual advances decades after the fact. The media has had, and is still having a field day with that one! Now, it's time to move on, it seems...

Now, what has been business as usual by the "untouchable" celebrity class, is finally getting exposed by a corrupt media with their own agenda.

My feelings are ambivilant, since I'm in academia myself. Hell, why not let the rich bribe the universities? It's probably tax-free money in their pockets. But, of course, the reality is, that money isn't going to the RIGHT places at those universities, but rather into the pockets of greedy admissions department people, the coaches themselves, or other terrible causes. Certainly not to the professors who are the bedrock of most serious educational institutions.

If the money actually went to -- watch for it -- IMPROVE EDUCATION at those universities, I'd be all for it. But, it doesn't, so it's probably a very bad thing after all.

Reverse Affirmitve action has been going on since time immemorial. It was just private business before, now the liberal media considers it their job to expose it as public business.
Old 03-12-19, 07:09 PM
  #71  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Bluelitespecial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 9,459
Received 200 Likes on 138 Posts
re: Felicity Huffman (and dozens of others) arrested/charged with fraud - College Admissions

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy View Post
I gotta believe Lori is toastt at hallmark now....
I'm curious what Hallmark's stance will be. Will they wait and gather the facts or decide she needs to be written off of When Calls the Heart.
Old 03-12-19, 07:21 PM
  #72  
DVD Talk Godfather
Thread Starter
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 53,738
Received 151 Likes on 111 Posts
re: Felicity Huffman (and dozens of others) arrested/charged with fraud - College Admissions

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
This has been going on for DECADES. Now, it's just another expose, the latest in fact in a stream of them. It started with the women calling out men in high places for making real (or imagined!) sexual advances decades after the fact. The media has had, and is still having a field day with that one! Now, it's time to move on, it seems...

Now, what has been business as usual by the "untouchable" celebrity class, is finally getting exposed by a corrupt media with their own agenda.

My feelings are ambivilant, since I'm in academia myself. Hell, why not let the rich bribe the universities? It's probably tax-free money in their pockets. But, of course, the reality is, that money isn't going to the RIGHT places at those universities, but rather into the pockets of greedy admissions department people, the coaches themselves, or other terrible causes. Certainly not to the professors who are the bedrock of most serious educational institutions.

If the money actually went to -- watch for it -- IMPROVE EDUCATION at those universities, I'd be all for it. But, it doesn't, so it's probably a very bad thing after all.

Reverse Affirmitve action has been going on since time immemorial. It was just private business before, now the liberal media considers it their job to expose it as public business.

But they aren't just bribing the universities, which the wealthy already do (or anyone with enough cash). In this case, you have the wealthy paying for guaranteed admission, and creating false documents to create a fake face on a student who is allegedly smart when they are not.. On top of that, using a fake charity org to move the money around. To me, even worse than donating or calling up the dean of a college and giving Johnny a little help with admissions.

It's like these parents had their kids so protected, they couldn't even study on their own. Or maybe they just didn't want to spend the time with their kids. What awesome role models.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 03-12-19 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-12-19, 07:39 PM
  #73  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Posts: 20,053
Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts
re: Felicity Huffman (and dozens of others) arrested/charged with fraud - College Admissions

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
This has been going on for DECADES. Now, it's just another expose, the latest in fact in a stream of them. It started with the women calling out men in high places for making real (or imagined!) sexual advances decades after the fact. The media has had, and is still having a field day with that one! Now, it's time to move on, it seems...

Now, what has been business as usual by the "untouchable" celebrity class, is finally getting exposed by a corrupt media with their own agenda.

My feelings are ambivilant, since I'm in academia myself. Hell, why not let the rich bribe the universities? It's probably tax-free money in their pockets. But, of course, the reality is, that money isn't going to the RIGHT places at those universities, but rather into the pockets of greedy admissions department people, the coaches themselves, or other terrible causes. Certainly not to the professors who are the bedrock of most serious educational institutions.

If the money actually went to -- watch for it -- IMPROVE EDUCATION at those universities, I'd be all for it. But, it doesn't, so it's probably a very bad thing after all.

Reverse Affirmitve action has been going on since time immemorial. It was just private business before, now the liberal media considers it their job to expose it as public business.
The media didn’t expose this. They’re just reporting. This is a major federal investigation.

This wasn't rich people bribing universities. This was rich people hiring consultants engaged in a complex criminal conspiracy.
Old 03-12-19, 07:42 PM
  #74  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 6,722
Received 473 Likes on 379 Posts
re: Felicity Huffman (and dozens of others) arrested/charged with fraud - College Admissions

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
But they aren't just bribing the universities, which the wealthy already do (or anyone with enough cash). In this case, you have the wealthy paying for guaranteed admission, and creating false documents to create a fake face on a student who is allegedly smart when they are not.. On top of that, using a fake charity org to move the money around. To me, even worse than donating or calling up the dean of a college and giving Johnny a little help with admissions.

It's like these parents had their kids so protected, they couldn't even study on their own. Or maybe they just didn't want to spend the time with their kids. What awesome role models.
Yeah.. I know, that is one of the reasons I've become a curmudgeon and quite misanthropic at times.

These trends are not good, and are accelerating, but it's been going on "under the radar" for 50 years or longer.

The next thing we'll see is that the rich will be creating superkids with a positive eugenic taint. These babies will have intelligence, beauty and competitve drive baked-in from birth. Then, they won't have to bribe anybody except the genetic engineering counselor! It's no joke, it WILL happen, and the technology exists NOW to do it.
Old 03-12-19, 07:50 PM
  #75  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Boba Fett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 6,131
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
re: Felicity Huffman (and dozens of others) arrested/charged with fraud - College Admissions

Full House cast member speaks out on Aunt Becky's charges:


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.