Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Hows Discover credit card?

Old 02-08-19, 09:11 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Hows Discover credit card?

Only have my debit/MC and amazon store card, but was thinking of this one with the Amazon credit and perks looked good. All I do is shop on Amazon anyway. Wouldn’t use it much, if at all, but for the $75 credit might be worth it. I think it is a good fliers card, but I do not travel much.

Anyway, good card for small purchases? Bad?
Old 02-08-19, 09:18 PM

Re: Hows Discover credit card?

No idea, but we have an Amazon Chase and like it, though I've wondered if it's the right card for us, lately. There are tons of credit card rating websites out there, plug in what perks and rates you want and take a look.
Old 02-08-19, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Right now i am using the citi double cash card mainly which is 2% cash back on everything. I also have the Costco card which is 4% gas, 3% restaurants.

Assuming you pay it off every month, apr doesn't matter.

Generally speaking, I don't think a hard pull is Worth just $75. But if you never plan to make any large purchases like house or car then sure, guess $75 is ok

Old 02-08-19, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hamilton Books does not take Discover card.
Old 02-08-19, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like Discover. There's a promo each quarter where you get 5% back in certain categories (gas stations, restaurants, etc). It can add up pretty fast.
Old 02-09-19, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You can also use their cash back bonus at Amazon as a payment method. You do occasionally run into a business that does not accept it, though. Great company to deal with.

They have been advertising a double your yearly cash back bonus on your aniversary for new sign-ups. This probably will add up to a lot more in the long run than a flat $75 bonus up front if you decided to use the card a lot.
Old 02-09-19, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This is our "everyday" card we use. We mostly use the cashback to redeem for giftards on their site. We usually get restaurants, but they have iTunes, Fandango, AMC and Regal. Most of them are $45 in cashback gets you $50 giftcard. They vary between physical or ecard
Old 02-09-19, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 View Post
I like Discover. There's a promo each quarter where you get 5% back in certain categories (gas stations, restaurants, etc). It can add up pretty fast.
Yea, I like that about it. I have had the card for 15 years or so I think? I like it quite a bit.
Old 02-09-19, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The last Discover card I had was from Reel.com

They (Discover) made such a colossal mess of the card and my account I cancelled and never went back.
Old 02-09-19, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
Right now i am using the citi double cash card mainly which is 2% cash back on everything. I also have the Costco card which is 4% gas, 3% restaurants.

Assuming you pay it off every month, apr doesn't matter.

Generally speaking, I don't think a hard pull is Worth just $75. But if you never plan to make any large purchases like house or car then sure, guess $75 is ok

what's a hard pull? no i would barely use it if at all and just probably for Amazon...
Old 02-09-19, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon View Post
The last Discover card I had was from Reel.com

They (Discover) made such a colossal mess of the card and my account I cancelled and never went back.
what do you mean by messed up?

so Discover is completely different than MC/Visa, correct? do most places take Discover? i really don't even check...
Old 02-09-19, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Don't bother with CC's - if you have the cash then just use that.
Old 02-09-19, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ive had it for a long time. I use it for just about everything (pay bills, groceries, gas, etc.) and pay it off at the end of the month. They have great rewards and perks that accumulate with every purchase. I just pay it off at the end of every month. Also their customer service is really good.
Old 02-09-19, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
well, just really like the idea of $75 Amazon credit...
Old 02-09-19, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
well, just really like the idea of $75 Amazon credit...
That's where they get you, though. You'll have the card and then they'll want you to go shopping with it.
Old 02-09-19, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What's the terms to get the Amazon credit? Do you get it right away and not buy anything ever?
Old 02-09-19, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Strongly disagree for anyone that's fiscally responsible. The various cards I use have tons of perks and benefits, whether it be cash back, accrued points that have resulted in free flights and hotel for trips, credit back for thinks like TSA Precheck, as well as purchase protection. I think they're great if you know how to maximize their benefits.
Old 02-09-19, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
what do you mean by messed up?

so Discover is completely different than MC/Visa, correct? do most places take Discover? i really don't even check...
Well let's see, as I recall Discover sent me a letter stating that there was a problem with my card and that they would issue a new one. Ok no problem.
In a few days I get two letters from Discover. One contains a new card, the other contains an explanation. Apparently they issued some cards incorrectly so they were voiding the numbers on the card, that was the reason for the new one. I looked at my replacement card and it had the same number and same expiration date. I called and they were absolutely clueless and could not explain how I was supposed to use a new replacement card that had the same number as a voided card.

I told them to close the account and hung up. Not dealing with a company that cannot even get basic process straight.
Old 02-09-19, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk God

This is stupid. My wife has chase Sapphire reserve card. She pays $450/yr, but gets about $1500 in benefits with it. If you are fiscally responsible, you are basically leaving free money and perks on the table by not having a good rewards card.
Old 02-09-19, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Strongly disagree for anyone that's fiscally responsible. The various cards I use have tons of perks and benefits, whether it be cash back, accrued points that have resulted in free flights and hotel for trips, credit back for thinks like TSA Precheck, as well as purchase protection. I think they're great if you know how to maximize their benefits.
Meh. Debt free is best. You think banks just give you the shit for free?

That's the rub, being fiscally responsible. Don't risk it. They want you NOT to be fiscally responsible.
Old 02-09-19, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
This is stupid. My wife has chase Sapphire reserve card. She pays $450/yr, but gets about $1500 in benefits with it. If you are fiscally responsible, you are basically leaving free money and perks on the table by not having a good rewards card.

Sorry, I don't do debt.

I'm all about wealth building, so I abstain of credit and CC's especially.

I used to have a Discover, Chase, and Capital One. Paid them off and now I am on the road to riches. I don't do CC debt at all. * You're stupid.

EDIT - if your wife pays $450 a year and only gets $1500 in benefits, she's only getting $1,050 in benefits. She's paying $450 for those benefits.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 02-10-19 at 12:06 AM.
Old 02-09-19, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Meh. Debt free is best. You think banks just give you the shit for free?

That's the rub, being fiscally responsible. Don't risk it. They want you NOT to be fiscally responsible.
I would partially agree with you. But it's good to have one credit card in case something goes wrong with the debit card.

Also I have gotten cash back which is nice.
Old 02-09-19, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
I would partially agree with you. But it's good to have one credit card in case something goes wrong with the debit card.

Also I have gotten cash back which is nice.
Debit card have the same protection as regular CC cards do. Hell, even David Ramsey asked them and they wrote back, we cover debit cards in terms of protection just like CC's.

Also, just have $1,000 (at minimum) for an emergency fund. That should tide folks over for a bit.

*I've gotten my rewards, cashback, etc., but paying for the shit (anything in general in full) is better.

EDIT - I should also just say that I still have my Discover, Amazon Chase, and Capital One card at ZERO balance. They're pretty much dead to me, but I keep them, because if I close them out I will take a credit hit.
Old 02-09-19, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^
Old 02-10-19, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

EDIT - I should also just say that I still have my Discover, Amazon Chase, and Capital One card at ZERO balance. They're pretty much dead to me, but I keep them, because if I close them out I will take a credit hit.
If you don't have a balance and don't charge something to them at least occasionally, there's a good chance that they will close them for you. My oldest credit card is the one that I pay for my Netflix membership with, for just this reason.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.