Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

cancelling Directv

Old 01-13-19, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

cancelling Directv

after 19 years their latest price hike is too much
so how much of a hassle is it to go through the process of cutting the cord and is there a best time of day to call?
Old 01-13-19, 05:33 PM
Premium Member

Re: cancelling Directv

It's easy, I did it in November. Depending on what reason you give will depend on what they come back with. If you tell them the price is too high, then they will try and haggle a better deal with you.

We are possibly moving next year, and the location we are going to might not allow for the line of sight needed for DirecTV, so I just told them I am cutting it now because we are moving, and then I will re-evaluate after the move (I'm not doing that, I did cut the cord, and have not missed it). They did send me a cash-card for the balance of the rest of the month that I dropped it.

Then expect to get emails with deals to get you back. It's about 3 months later and they still send me $300 cash card, plus $19.99/month for a year to rejoin. It's a good deal, but it also somewhat pissed me off that they can offer it that low, and yet I had to haggle every year for a deal to keep the price down (which was nowhere near that low).

They also told me to keep the hardware boxes and the dish, but that they would send me a envelope to return the cards that are in them. I never received that envelope, I called about a month later to tell them about that, and he said if it hasn't shown up yet then to not worry about it because the account was closed.
Old 01-13-19, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Glad you cancelled. Enjoy life without being bound to the Idiot Box, and the company stranglehold of a high monthly guaranteed residual income for them.

Congratulations. Reward yourself for cutting the cord.
Old 01-13-19, 07:43 PM
Admin-Thanos

Bacon, are you cutting the cord from cable/FIOS/traditional TV? I don't plan on buying the NFL package, so I'm considering leaving DirecTV as well. It's insanely expensive. I'm thinking about FIOS through. I do watch some of the channels in my package regularly and I watch a decent amount of sports, so it would be hard not to have any TV and rely solely on internet based programs.
Old 01-13-19, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I've been with DirecTV since 2003 and yeah it's insanely expensive now compared to then. But, they always give me credits whenever I call them, so that's what keeps it relatively affordable. Right now I have $30 off per month for 1 year and an additional $27 off per month for 6 months. Saving $57 off my bill per month keeps me with it. I have the premiere package with every channel. Otherwise, without the credits I would have to downgrade and even consider cancelling.

But I know for a lot of you guys spending $100-200/month on TV is too much money. But, I work in the TV/entertainment industry, so I kind of need to be up to speed on sports, news and pop culture.

Only trouble for me with possibly going to Live internet TV is the cloud DVR function. None of the current providers DirecTV Now, Hulu or YouTube TV have really good cloud DVR functions. Some are really limited.

But for you Bacon, do what you have to do. If DirecTV priced itself out of your budget, by all means cancel and find something more affordable to you and your family that will satisfy your entertainment needs.

Last edited by DJariya; 01-13-19 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-13-19, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I quit back in April of last year.

I still have Spectrum/Charter and Direct TV Now.

I do miss the Direct TV DVR(been reading a lot of bad things about it lately) and the Spectrum DVR can't compare too it.

The thing I don't like about Spectrum is their damn remote. At first it doesn't work at all ,then all of a sudden it controls just about every TV in my house. At least with Direct TV you could program the remote to work with a certain TV.

I won't be going back to Direct TV and it will be interesting too see what happens if they lose the NFL Sunday Ticket package.
Old 01-13-19, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have a couple of experiences. One was about 7 years ago I was still under contract but moved to a rental and the owner wouldn't let me mount it to the house. I had the DirecTV guy come out to see if he could mount it freestanding but couldn't and they cancelled without any issue.

Another experience was my father in law who had DirecTV for decades. Like I think 25 years+. They lived just outside of town where there was no cable available so basically whenever they had DirecTV he got it. I didn't know this but his bill was something really outrageous like maybe $120 or maybe even more? For two boxes of standard (not HD) channels with a showtime package. Insane. He needed a total knee replacement and since he lives at home alone he had to stay in rehab for maybe 6 weeks. I think he was late making a payment because of this. First late payment in 25 years he calls they don't budge so he asked me to help him cut the cord. Got internet for him for $50/month (never had internet since the dial up days) bought a new 4K 55" TV (he was using an old 34" tube) and a $30 antennae. Hooked it up through the conveniently placed DirecTV coax lines, set up my Netflix account and now he's happy as a clam. And so are we because 55" 4K HDR TV + Netflix + Internet (finally!) >>>>>>> Crappy SD DirecTV on a 34" tube TV.
Old 01-13-19, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I had a lot of equipment problems with Direct TV the last few years I had it and they took there sweet time each time to fix it.
Old 01-13-19, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cancelled mine 3 years ago. You will have a really hard time cancelling as they won't let you go. My solution? I told them I was moving to another country for work. That quickly put an end to their speils.

Expect to get mail from them at least 3x a week at first, then this tapers off slowly (but you will get junk mail at least weekly for the next 2 years). I still get a monthly offer from them ($300 card and/or $19.99 per month).

This year, made the switch to SlingTV mainly for Sports and am very happy with it. Only costs me $25 base + $5 Sports Package per month.
Old 01-13-19, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ever since the latest ui update on their dvrs to mirror DIRECTV now, their dvr has sucked. Programs won't even show up on my list, even though I know I've recorded them, unless I jump through hoops. I'm close to pulling the plug.
Old 01-13-19, 11:59 PM

Fuck Directv. I'm glad I dropped them years ago. They can shove their crappy cable TV up their collective asses. With streaming, there's no need for this shit anymore anyway.

Last edited by TheDude; 03-06-19 at 09:02 PM.
Old 01-14-19, 06:01 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't have a DirecTV story, but just wanted to say that we cut the cable cord back in 2009 and have been happier without it. We decided it wasn't worth paying $60/mo. (2009 prices) for 65 channels of SHIT. Now we just have a broadcast TV antenna, we get the local channels if we ever need them (rarely), we have almost 1300 DVDs/BDs and couldn't be happier with what we have to watch. Cable/Satellite is like an addiction, once you get it you never want to quit it, but once you quit it, it's like a breath of fresh air. Plus you get to use that $60 to $120/mo. to spend on other things (like DVDs/BDs)...
Old 01-14-19, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I called a month or so back to discuss cancelling with them. They immediately offered me an $80/month break for a year, no contract extension. I took it, but can't help but wonder if I should have held out for even better.
Old 01-14-19, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
Bacon, are you cutting the cord from cable/FIOS/traditional TV? I don't plan on buying the NFL package, so I'm considering leaving DirecTV as well. It's insanely expensive. I'm thinking about FIOS through. I do watch some of the channels in my package regularly and I watch a decent amount of sports, so it would be hard not to have any TV and rely solely on internet based programs.
I'm looking at youtube TV , 40 a month for everything I watch including the major networks.I get all the movies on disc or digital so the lack of premium channels is not an issue
Old 01-14-19, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Canceled back in 2010 or 2009 thereabouts. They hailed mary'd me and were like "we'll only charge you $5 a month if you stay." I had to pause because that's a great deal, granted, it was for the basic cable package, but I said no. I don't regret it at all. I'm sure folks can get sweet deals still, but you have to be prepared to take it all the way.
Old 01-14-19, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Cable/Satellite is like an addiction, once you get it you never want to quit it
Might've been true in the 80s, but by the time I had it in 1994 (roommate already had it) and then in 2001 when the last tenant didn't cancel it, I saw absolutely nothing worth paying for (we had HBO in 1994 but everything was pan and scan, I'd already moved on to laserdiscs by that point.) In 2001 the only reason I even went through the channels was because I'd hoped the cable company was losing something monetarily from it

The golden age was the big C-Band dishes in the early 80s, you could get EVERYTHING for free including stuff civilians weren't supposed to see.

Early DSS instore laserdisc, with text commentary by yours truly:
Old 01-14-19, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ironically I just went back to them Price locked for 2 years, plus a $300 debit card. For TV and internet it will be $50 cheaper than I was paying with Xfinity who didn't seem to care that I was switching. The picture quality on our Fox station alone made it worth the switch. Fox looked terrible on cable for some reason.
Old 01-14-19, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I cancelled about a year ago and tried out Hulu Live TV for a bit. Didn't like the user interface and by that time DirecTV Now started and I moved over to that. Really enjoy the streaming TV over cable and much cheaper.
Old 01-14-19, 08:21 PM

Every year I call and cancel and they give me a better deal. This year its 22 dollars a month for the middle tier package. Just play the game and you can get s really good deal. Dont ever go with the customer service rep offer, their retention dept will always give the best offer.
Old 01-14-19, 09:03 PM

$22 + taxes + fees + "connection" charges probably doubles the bill to $40-50 per month. Tell me I'm wrong and you actually pay $22 per month all fees included?

If so, $22 is fair, but I still wouldn't go back to TV even if they *paid* me $22 per month. My time is better spent on DVD Talk, watching quality older films (properly restored on Blu-ray of course!) and NOT staring mindlessly into the Idiot Box ingesting the leftist-PC garbage that is 90% of current TV shows / news / content.
Old 01-15-19, 04:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just canceled my Dish Network account last week and its my final day with it tomorrow. I have grown tired of paying a sizeable monthly charge for mostly shitty TV. The girl I spoke to when canceling was actually surprisingly nice and made multiple offers with lower amounts, but I asker if it would mean I would be back on contract and she confirmed it would be. No thanks. I also pointed out that I pay $12 a month for Netflix, I got an offer for Hulk where I pay 99 cents a month for the next year, as I have Amazon Prime I also get the TV for $60 a year and I am considering Philo which I'll run me $16 a month. All those and it won't even hit $40 total for the month. Not to mention I recently bought the Nvidia Shield and have my media attached to that with a hell of a lot of movies and TV.

So yeah, cable doesn't look good these days. Any cable company that does not move into full on streaming at competitive prices will go the way of Blockbuster.
Old 01-15-19, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
$22 + taxes + fees + "connection" charges probably doubles the bill to $40-50 per month. Tell me I'm wrong and you actually pay $22 per month all fees included?

If so, $22 is fair, but I still wouldn't go back to TV even if they *paid* me $22 per month. My time is better spent on DVD Talk, watching quality older films (properly restored on Blu-ray of course!) and NOT staring mindlessly into the Idiot Box ingesting the leftist-PC garbage that is 90% of current TV shows / news / content.
my final bill is $22 a month, no extra fees.
Old 01-15-19, 05:28 AM

Cut the cord, never looked back.
Happy with my Roku, Amazon Prime and $0.99 /month Hulu subscription.
I agree cable companies, if they dont adapt and change are going to suffer huge losses in Customer Accounts
Old 01-15-19, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

well they managed to keep me on
55 off per month for a year so my post tax bill ,after price increasr is now only 64.03

Last edited by Bacon; 01-15-19 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-15-19, 02:10 PM

I would love to cancel service with them.....permanently. I've been a customer since 2001 and really the only reason why I've continued to say with them is I have no other alternatives where I live(aside from Dish Network). Would love to be able to just stream all my shows but the fastest internet speeds available to me is 20mb/ps DSL and when you have 5 other people living with you, all using devices, that bandwidth gets eaten up. Things I've done to help keep the costs down has either been to threaten to cancel or straight up cancel knowing they're going to call me the next day and offer me promos to stay. I usually pay around $85 p/mo. for service and for the selection of programming I'm getting it isn't bad but it would be cheaper to stream. Once my area gets 40mb or faster I'll be cancelling for good.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.