Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a steak

Other Talk "Otterville"

Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a steak

Old 01-09-19, 08:21 PM
Admin

Received 347 Likes on 223 Posts
Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

I'll just say that we got a balcony for our stateroom on this Summer's cruise and it was amazing. As nice as some parts of the boat were, there were always people around and having that personal balcony to just chill out on and have no one bother you was key. I'm am introvert, so having the private downtime allowed my wife and I to recharge our batteries. I'd do a balcony again in a heartbeat. I get it to bypass the balcony room if you want to save money, but if you really want to save money, fly to a destination and island hop or setup your own trip itinerary and it will be cheaper than a cruise in my opinion.
Old 01-09-19, 08:44 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 360 Likes on 249 Posts
Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
I'll just say that we got a balcony for our stateroom on this Summer's cruise and it was amazing. As nice as some parts of the boat were, there were always people around and having that personal balcony to just chill out on and have no one bother you was key. I'm am introvert, so having the private downtime allowed my wife and I to recharge our batteries. I'd do a balcony again in a heartbeat. I get it to bypass the balcony room if you want to save money, but if you really want to save money, fly to a destination and island hop or setup your own trip itinerary and it will be cheaper than a cruise in my opinion.
Itís been a few years since Iíve done or researched one, and the variables are different for every individual of course, but in my cruises it was much cheaper to sail.

The less than $100 a day I paid total was cheaper than just what my hotel costs would have been, not counting airfare and food. But again, it varies on a multitude of factors.
Old 01-09-19, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
Library, gym, decks are nothing like your own private balcony. Just the sound of you, the ocean, and total chill time. I'll still head out of course but having that private time is so magnificent. And besides, who the hell needs other people?
from what I've heard the balconys are not really that private. Doesn't the balcony on the level above have a direct view on the balcony right below as each balcony sticks out more as you go down levels? I never payed attention to the side of the ship, but as small as the rooms are, I would guess the balcony from the rooms to your left and right would have to be very close to yours if not touching, unless they are designed to have some kind of wall partition between them.
Old 01-09-19, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
They are great for tracking people in the store as it happens (like movieguru described) and for supporting criminal prosecution later (caught through other means, support police, etc.) when a timeframe is known. However, I am sure they are less practical for retroactively catching people. Let's say that someone steals a blue-ray player from Walmart. It might be days before your inventory people actually even detect the theft. Now you would have to go through days of footage and identify and then track through the system everyone who picked up one of those players for 2-3 days in order to ID them and maybe get a decent picture of them when they went through the door. All this to turn over a picture to police who, honestly, probably won't be able to do anything with it. Considering Walmart's wholesale cost of the item, almost certainly not worth the time and effort.
It depends on how much you want to sleuth with them or can think outside the box. i had a customer come in one location and try to return a $75 dollar diabetic monitor without a receipt. I was sure it was stolen and the credit would be used to purchase cigarettes which were behind the counter. So I fast forward through the day's footage to see if I could see the guy coming in earlier that day to steal it. He wasn't in the store any other time that day from what I could see. So I reviewed the footage from the aisle where the diabetic monitors were, and sure enough I saw someone steal it. They just traded off and I guess would split the store credit amount they expected to get from trying to return it. It only took about 5 minutes at most to find what I needed.
Old 01-09-19, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 455 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Was that the cruise where Joe Elliott lost his voice?
Yup. Def Leppard only performed 4 songs on the Def Leppard Cruise, with other vocalists subbing in.

Then of course Bob Daisley of Last in Line died in his cabin the night before their performance.

And multiple other disasters...
Old 01-09-19, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
from what I've heard the balconys are not really that private. Doesn't the balcony on the level above have a direct view on the balcony right below as each balcony sticks out more as you go down levels?
Nope. It's almost entirely private. People on either side might get a sliver of a view from the tiny separation where the partition meets the sliding doors, but that's it. Or if you lean out a bit you might see other people leaning out a bit.
Old 01-09-19, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 474 Likes on 380 Posts

Nope. It's almost entirely private. People on either side might get a sliver of a view from the tiny separation where the partition meets the sliding doors, but that's it. Or if you lean out a bit you might see other people leaning out a bit.
But, it is a fact, or at least advertised on some cruise lines that balconies are "semi" private.

A truly private balcony would be walled-in from the sides and jut out enough that you cound't see other balconies, and people couldn't see you from their balconies. I do not think the privacy of most cruise "balconies" even approaches anywhere near 100%.

As the cost of a Private balcony room vs an inside room is at least 2x to 3x the cost, I'd get an inside room every time. Exception might be be a once-in-a-lifetime cruise of a longer duration.

I agree that if you're spending much time in the room, you're doing the cruising wrong.

And about this incident: The guy turned down what, for his family would have amounted to a > $200 steak dinner! That's almost $150 per hour for his time spent detained... Pretty generous by Walmart Cruise line standards. The guy is too entitled!! Sheesh... Only a cool million $$ litigation foray will seem to satisfy him...
Old 01-10-19, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
But, it is a fact, or at least advertised on some cruise lines that balconies are "semi" private.

A truly private balcony would be walled-in from the sides and jut out enough that you cound't see other balconies, and people couldn't see you from their balconies. I do not think the privacy of most cruise "balconies" even approaches anywhere near 100%.

I would imagine all the balconies have to be designed so that security camerscan record video of everyone's balconies just in case someone's spouse might disappear during the cruise.
Old 01-10-19, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 449 Posts

If a balcony was 100% private, it'd be called a ROOM. This applies to regular houses too.
Old 01-10-19, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 151 Likes on 111 Posts

I would imagine all the balconies have to be designed so that security camerscan record video of everyone's balconies just in case someone's spouse might disappear during the cruise.
You're thinking of Carnivore Cruise Lines.
Old 01-10-19, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 474 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
If a balcony was 100% private, it'd be called a ROOM. This applies to regular houses too.
Semantics... semantics. A room by any other name, was my point.
Old 01-10-19, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As the cost of a Private balcony room vs an inside room is at least 2x to 3x the cost, I'd get an inside room every time.
Holy crap, who is pricing your cruises? 2X to 3X the cost??
Old 01-10-19, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm scared of the ocean
Old 01-10-19, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 550 Likes on 342 Posts

Yeah that's not even close to accurate (the 3x part) at least not that I've seen.

And the balcony types available depends on the ship and it varies. For example when I book a cruise I pick what kind of balcony I want. We just did Hawaii RT on Princess so lots of sea days and lots of sun. So we booked a fully covered balcony. When we do Alaska I want the sun and as much heat as we can get so I book a semi-private. Semi-private means the first half is covered and 2nd half is not. A lot of people prefer semi private because they like the sun. Some ships don't have balconies at all and some only have balconies. So it really depends... It's good to do research to make sure you are booking the right thing for you.
Old 01-10-19, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Here's a photo of the balcony cover from the cruise we were just on. The roof extends all the way to the end making it completely covered.

Old 01-10-19, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
Here's a photo of the balcony cover from the cruise we were just on. The roof extends all the way to the end making it completely covered.

Is that a camera toward the end of the roof and the crossbeam?
Old 01-10-19, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Is that a camera toward the end of the roof and the crossbeam?
No those are outdoor smoke detectors they put on after the fire on Star Princess which started on the balcony and destroyed 283 cabins and killed a man.
Old 01-10-19, 09:42 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I go on cruises often. Love them. Wouldn't go on Carnival even if it were all expenses paid with nightly lapdances from Shakira, plus Ovaltine.

that sounds worse than Walmart. You just described the k Mart of cruises
Old 01-10-19, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 604 Likes on 488 Posts

It depends on the cruise and how booked the boat is, balcony rooms are usually anywhere from a 10% - 30% upcharge per person, but can go higher if nearly all the balcony rooms are reserved.

I didn't realize how expensive Royal Caribbean cruises have gotten. I hear one of the bad things about their Oasis class is just how many people are on the boat: 6410 guests sharing 4 swimming pools seems like a lot. Add in the extra 2,300 crew, it's just... a lot.
Old 01-10-19, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Does anyone get the Love Boat theme in their head when they are going on a cruise. All the bartenders are from South or Central America, but I told my my wife if they ever have an African American one it would be hard not to imagine him not pointing both his index fingers at people.
Old 01-10-19, 10:22 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
No those are outdoor smoke detectors they put on after the fire on Star Princess which started on the balcony and destroyed 283 cabins and killed a man.

Is it against the rules to smoke on the balcony?
Old 01-10-19, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Does anyone get the Love Boat theme in their head when they are going on a cruise. All the bartenders are from South or Central America, but I told my my wife if they ever have an African American one it would be hard not to imagine him not pointing both his index fingers at people.
Well on Princess they are currently pushing the "love boat" thing because they just had some sort of anniversary party so they play the theme every now and then (especially before/after muster). When I was on a cruise during Halloween all the bartenders were dressed like Isaac, In fact the "real" Isaac pops up on the stateroom TV in between movies and stuff to convince you to go to the bar and get "The Isaac" drink.

Old 01-10-19, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Is it against the rules to smoke on the balcony?
On Princess yes. On other cruise lines it varies.
Old 01-10-19, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 132 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
It depends on the cruise and how booked the boat is, balcony rooms are usually anywhere from a 10% - 30% upcharge per person, but can go higher if nearly all the balcony rooms are reserved.

I didn't realize how expensive Royal Caribbean cruises have gotten. I hear one of the bad things about their Oasis class is just how many people are on the boat: 6410 guests sharing 4 swimming pools seems like a lot. Add in the extra 2,300 crew, it's just... a lot.
That makes sense. On our cruise to Alaska last year, balconies were 2x-3x the cost of an inside, but we bought only a couple months in advance. I noticed that they sold out of balconies shortly after we booked. Celebrity was also throwing in perks--our room included alcoholic drinks, an onboard credit, and gratuities. They didn't offer any incentives with the inside cabins, so the cost wasn't as far off as it looked.
Old 01-10-19, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I doubt the markup for a balcony is as high as that. I'd rather have 2-3 cruises with an interior room than I would 1 cruise with a balcony.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.