Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Biggest Loser 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

Old 01-12-19, 03:27 AM

Re: Biggest Loser 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

I'm getting back on Weight Watchers. I like it. It works for me and it's pretty easy to follow.

I've tried so many different diets over the years. But most of them feel like you're punishing yourself.

Weight Watchers isn't like that for me. I just need to make a few healthy changes. But I can still eat what I want and occasionally splurge. And if I have something like pizza, cake or beer, I don't feel guilty about it. I just try to stay within my daily/weekly points.
Old 01-12-19, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I lost 30 pounds then gained it right back. Annoying as fuck.

But I had visible abdominal muscles for like a week (still had fat behind them but regardless), it was neato.
Agreed. It is bullshit that it takes 3 months to get into shape and 3 weeks to completely fall out of it.
Old 01-12-19, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
aside from the health benefits of IF, it is simply hard to overeat by all that much when you only eat in an 8 hour window.
Yup, that's the whole point. Make your 1-2 meals per day as heavy as you can with healthy fats and you will not get cravings. Once you get used to it, it's second nature. It will also curb your snacking. Also, in terms of snacking, if you pisitively have to have a snack or drink of some kind then make sure it gets incorporated into your meal. That way you won't restart your insulin resistance, if so, it will take you that much longer to get back into ketosis.
Old 01-12-19, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well I got my run on today. I ran a slow 4 miles w/just 2, 60 sec walking breaks. The walking breaks were for me not use to the pounding. Cardio wise Iím fine.

Ive done some 3 miles run this month, but first 4 miles for the New Years.. That 4 miles is a milestone for me as itís my ďeverydayĒ run. And that with a walking warm up and cool down ends up being a solid workout.

I ran 8 miles in early Oct, but due to cold weather and laziness very inconsistent running (tho I was doing other workouts including cardio).

Running has turned into an important part of my life. It relaxes me. Gives me confidence. I need to get back to running consistently 4 days a week. Iím trying to be patient and not push to hard. Last thing I need is to get hurt.
Old 01-12-19, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This is what's called "dirty keto" and it's not recommended for long term due to the quality of the ingredients but if you're in a pinch and have no other option then it may work for you:

Old 02-12-19, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm looking for (almost) ready highish protein, inexpensive, things to eat during the workday. 250 calories and up would be good. I have access to a refrigerator and a microwave. I don't care about fats vs carbs. Need protein though. No meal-replacement bars/shakes please.
There is healthy choice/lean cuisine at $2/pack. Anything less expensive? Another option is Tyson's cooked chicken strips.
Old 02-12-19, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

9 days without binge eating! at 219 lbs (113 lbs when I met my husband). Longest streak since daughter was born 9 months ago.
Old 02-12-19, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wearetheborg View Post
I'm looking for (almost) ready highish protein, inexpensive, things to eat during the workday. 250 calories and up would be good. I have access to a refrigerator and a microwave. I don't care about fats vs carbs. Need protein though. No meal-replacement bars/shakes please.
There is healthy choice/lean cuisine at $2/pack. Anything less expensive? Another option is Tyson's cooked chicken strips.
I like nuts as a snack for high protein if calories are not an issue. They are calorie dense but also aid in digestion. If you are incorporating processed food, I like a little pepperoni as a snack. It's spicy so you don't need much to satisfy a craving, but processed foods are high in sodium.
Old 02-12-19, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wearetheborg View Post
Im all about eggs. My suggestion would be to, prep egg “muffins” or make at home egg McMuffins and warm up later.

This is a quick veggie version to give u an idea. But u can include diced ham, cooked sausage, cooked bacon, cheese, whatever. You can do “taco” style with cooked spicy sausage, colby cheese and onion with a bit of chopped jalapeŮos. Or “Denver” style with chopped ham, red peppers and cheese. Really anything u want. Just remember your meat filling has to be already cooked.

These freeze well and reheat well. Just don’t over do it in the microwave. I think better warm than blazing hot.

Pro tip: buy a silicone muffin tin and use a touch of cooking spray. Perfect non-stick and can throw in the dishwasher

Muffin “tin” Muffin “tin”

For homemade egg McMuffins I again use a silicone muffin “top” tin. Using 2 on a baking sheet allows me to make a dozen eggs, quick, easy and perfect size on an English muffin. Then make a sandwich using sliced ham (or cooked meat of your choice) and cheese. Wrap individually in parchment paper and freeze ( a gallon zip top hold a bunch of them).

https://www.amazon.com/Mrs-Andersons-Baking-43817-European-Grade/dp/B071VZNLLK/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3UMR5P6T4BKGL&keywords=silicone+muffin+top+pans+nonstick&qid=1549971538&s=gateway&sprefix=silicone+muffin+top%2Caps%2C176&sr=8-5 https://www.amazon.com/Mrs-Andersons-Baking-43817-European-Grade/dp/B071VZNLLK/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3UMR5P6T4BKGL&keywords=silicone+muffin+top+pans+nonstick&qid=1549971538&s=gateway&sprefix=silicone+muffin+top%2Caps%2C176&sr=8-5

Again even with the silicone, I use a bit of cooking spray.

I switched to silicone for this this as eggs stick to everything. And even non-stick metal I had trouble with. Plus as a rule, I hate non-stick shit. It inevitably gets a scratch or two and you have to toss.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 02-12-19 at 05:58 AM.
Old 02-12-19, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post

Im all about eggs. My suggestion would be to, prep egg “muffins” or make at home egg McMuffins and warm up later.

No issues with the high salt content of ham or sausage? What about the carbs. I know it's not a health food but an egg McMuffin is supposed to be on the eat this/not that list.

That's the biggest problem I have with these so called diets. After a while I hate the lack of variety. I could never be vegan just for the lack of options. I lost 30 in the spring gained a bunch, then 20 in the fall. As soon as I start eating anything with some taste it piles right back on.

I had a couple bad days and am actually up several. yesterday I was 198.2. So still down 7 from my highest a year ago but up 26 from my lowest in the spring. I made it through Superbowl relatively unscathed but last week I had a bad day and was up 3.4 in one day. A few days later I was up another 2. I don't binge eat. The day I gained 3 I did cheat. I had a donut, some cookies and some chicken tenders. About 3000 for the day according to MyFitnessPal. 1500 a day does nothing for me anymore. I have to go lower in order to lose faster than I gain.
Old 02-12-19, 06:33 AM

I love eggs, but I already eat them for breakfast.

I love nuts too, but their protein/calorie ratio is lower than I would like. I still eat them at work ... looking for alternatives.

Good ideas though!
Old 02-12-19, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I got pretty good at keto with intermittent fasting.

Basically, if you're hungry around 5PM, don't eat. Go to sleep around 8PM and wake up around 3AM very hungry.

The scales keeps dipping down for me again. Almost daily. Though I'm always leery of "real weight loss" vs "temporary weight loss". I need to dip another 10 lbs before I believe I'm actually losing weight again.
Old 02-12-19, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I love eggs but since I do IF I don't have them for breakfast. They're what's for lunch at either 12-1pm almost daily. 3-4 eggs do a body good.

Just remember that the metrics for Keto are: high fats (good fats), moderate protein, and low carbs.

My intake is:
60% fats
30% protein
10% carbs

The keywords with doing keto and IF is that you are not eating less, you're just eating less frequently.
Old 02-12-19, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just finished my Whole30 a couple days ago and am down 12 pounds. I'm where I was, weight-wise, in early November, before the feeding frenzy of the Christmas season. So now I'm reintroducing foods one at a time and checking how they affect me. Yesterday was legumes, and it seemed fine--no binging, no extra joint pain. Back to Whole30 eating again, and will try non-gluten grains on Thursday.

So I got my eating somewhat under control, and I want to make February the month I start consciously getting more movement. I'm going to wear my Fitbit 5 out of 7 days and try to get my 10K steps those days. And I need to work on my exercise machine 3x per week (to start). I'll try to do that for a month along with watching what I eat (even though my Whole30 thing is mostly done, I'm trying to incorporate the more veggies-less bread/sugar concept into my permanent diet).
Old 02-15-19, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
No issues with the high salt content of ham or sausage? What about the carbs. I know it's not a health food but an egg McMuffin is supposed to be on the eat this/not that list.

That's the biggest problem I have with these so called diets. After a while I hate the lack of variety. I could never be vegan just for the lack of options. I lost 30 in the spring gained a bunch, then 20 in the fall. As soon as I start eating anything with some taste it piles right back on.

I had a couple bad days and am actually up several. yesterday I was 198.2. So still down 7 from my highest a year ago but up 26 from my lowest in the spring. I made it through Superbowl relatively unscathed but last week I had a bad day and was up 3.4 in one day. A few days later I was up another 2. I don't binge eat. The day I gained 3 I did cheat. I had a donut, some cookies and some chicken tenders. About 3000 for the day according to MyFitnessPal. 1500 a day does nothing for me anymore. I have to go lower in order to lose faster than I gain.
On the muffins, you cane make pretty damn healthy if you want (Iíve made spinish/mushroom) for example.

Yes, Egg McMuffins, were the original ďit this not thatĒ. Now it was compared to bagel and cream cheese. Again, if u want to make a healthier version, you skip the cheese, use low calorie/wheat English muffins.

I was just giving a technique more than more than specific direction. Your correct, sausage is probably not the best option for anything... lol
Old 02-15-19, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
Just finished my Whole30 a couple days ago and am down 12 pounds. I'm where I was, weight-wise, in early November, before the feeding frenzy of the Christmas season. So now I'm reintroducing foods one at a time and checking how they affect me. Yesterday was legumes, and it seemed fine--no binging, no extra joint pain. Back to Whole30 eating again, and will try non-gluten grains on Thursday.

So I got my eating somewhat under control, and I want to make February the month I start consciously getting more movement. I'm going to wear my Fitbit 5 out of 7 days and try to get my 10K steps those days. And I need to work on my exercise machine 3x per week (to start). I'll try to do that for a month along with watching what I eat (even though my Whole30 thing is mostly done, I'm trying to incorporate the more veggies-less bread/sugar concept into my permanent diet).
Nice job....
Old 02-17-19, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
Agreed. It is bullshit that it takes 3 months to get into shape and 3 weeks to completely fall out of it.
And also, those 3 weeks, all you have to do is just let go a bit. And the 3 months - you have to be ever vigilant.
Old 02-18-19, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My issue was I kept pushing my diet restart date back, and then the holidays showed up. It was like 4 months of shitty eating.

But I'm mostly back on it now. It's just easier to start tomorrow.
Old 02-20-19, 01:08 AM

How the fuck do two measly oreos have as much calories as a can of soda. This is bullshit.
Old 02-20-19, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Get the mini oreos when the craving strikes. You get to eat 9 whole one of those in a serving
Old 02-20-19, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sick this week. I get sick and I gain weight. I get more cravings for comfort food; creamy sauces, gravies, etc. Two days in a row I made a nice healthy salad for lunch and the cold salad just didn't cut it. I ended up buying some creamy shrimp to go with it.
Old 02-20-19, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Get the mini oreos when the craving strikes. You get to eat 9 whole one of those in a serving
Very true. I have the most success with just having one meal in the fridge. Even if I have like some tortillas and sausage Iím tempted to fit in a 7pm breakfast burrito. Iím very hungry right now. But just going to go to sleep.
Old 02-21-19, 01:10 AM

[BobPinciattiVoice]

They'd be like vitamin tablets to me.

[/BobPinciattiVoice]
Old 02-21-19, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Very true. I have the most success with just having one meal in the fridge. Even if I have like some tortillas and sausage Iím tempted to fit in a 7pm breakfast burrito. Iím very hungry right now. But just going to go to sleep.
Yeah, weirdly I always have Tortillas on hand for similar (low rent version of some Taiwanese dish, basically a beaten egg poured into a pan, a tortilla placed on top (it binds), cooked, sliced like a quesadilla and then dipped into soy sauce. Sometimes with chives.). Tortillas are the best.

Last edited by RichC2; 02-21-19 at 09:15 AM.
Old 02-21-19, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Exactly. I mostly got fat from eating too much really good food. Lots of people blame McDonaldís. I blame homemade salmon alvocado burritos with fresh salsa. That stuff fattens me up so fast.

My trainer has told me to eat stuff like that. But I canít lose an ounce without cutting sugar and carbs and walking around hungry most of the day.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.