Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Man marries computer-generated hologram.

Old 12-29-18, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Man marries computer-generated hologram.

Akihiko Kondo's mother refused an invitation to her only son's wedding in Tokyo this month, but perhaps that isn't such a surprise: he was marrying a hologram.

"For mother, it wasn't something to celebrate," said the soft-spoken 35-year-old, whose "bride" is a virtual reality singer named Hatsune Miku.

In fact, none of Kondo's relatives attended his wedding to Miku -- an animated 16-year-old with saucer eyes and lengthy aquamarine pigtails -- but that didn't stop him from spending two million yen ($17,600) on a formal ceremony at a Tokyo hall.

Around 40 guests watched as he tied the knot with Miku, present in the form of a cat-sized stuffed doll.

"I never cheated on her, I've always been in love with Miku-san," he said, using a honorific that is commonly employed in Japan, even by friends. "I've been thinking about her every day," he told AFP a week after the wedding.

Since March, Kondo has been living with a moving, talking hologram of Miku that floats in a $2,800 desktop device.

"I'm in love with the whole concept of Hatsune Miku but I got married to the Miku of my house," he said, looking at the blue image glowing in a capsule.

He considers himself an ordinary married man -- his holographic wife wakes him up each morning and sends him off to his job as an administrator at a school.

In the evening, when he tells her by cellphone that he's coming home, she turns on the lights. Later, she tells him when it's time to go to bed.

He sleeps alongside the doll version of her that attended the wedding, complete with a wedding ring that fits around her left wrist.

Kondo's marriage might not have any legal standing, but that doesn't bother him. He even took his Miku doll to a jewelry shop to get the ring.

And Gatebox, the company that produces the hologram device featuring Miku, has issued a "marriage certificate", which certifies that a human and a virtual character have wed "beyond dimensions".

Kondo's not alone either: he says Gatebox has issued more than 3,700 certificates for "cross-dimension" marriages and some people have sent him supportive messages.

"There must be some people who can't come forward and say they want to hold a wedding. I want to give them a supportive push," he says.
Kondo's path to Miku came after difficult encounters with women as an anime-mad teenager.

"Girls would say 'Drop dead, creepy otaku!'," he recalled, using a Japanese term for geeks that can carry a negative connotation.

As he got older, he says a woman at a previous workplace bullied him into a nervous breakdown and he became determined never to marry.

In Japan, that wouldn't be entirely unusual nowadays. While in 1980, only one in 50 men had never married by the age of 50, that figure is now one in four.

But eventually Kondo realized he had been in love with Miku for more than a decade and decided to marry her.

"Miku-san is the woman I love a lot and also the one who saved me," he said.

And while Kondo says he is happy to be friends with a "3D woman", he has no interest in romance with one, no matter how much his mother pushes for it.

Two-dimensional characters can't cheat, age or die, he points out. "I'm not seeking these in real women. It's impossible."

Even in a country obsessed with anime, Kondo's wedding shocked many. But he wants to be recognized as a "sexual minority" who can't imagine dating a flesh-and-blood woman.

"It's simply not right, it's as if you were trying to talk a gay man into dating a woman, or a lesbian into a relationship with a man." "Diversity in society has been long called for," he added.

"It won't necessarily make you happy to be bound to the 'template' of happiness in which a man and woman marry and bear children."

"I believe we must consider all kinds of love and all kinds of happiness."

https://www.thejakartapost.com/life/...-hologram.html

Last edited by Sonny Corinthos; 12-29-18 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-29-18, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Man marries computer-generated hologram.

Only in Florida Japan.

He's a school admin, so I guess, looking at it positively, he has the lowest risk of touching and having sex with real human girls.
Old 12-29-18, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Only in Florida Japan.

He's a school admin, so I guess, looking at it positively, he has the lowest risk of touching and having sex with real human girls.
Right on both counts.

This thing seems to be getting more common in Japanese culture. My wife's boss (he's Japanese living in Canada) is married to a real woman and has real kids, but his hobby is creating a virtual reality singer, and he says he does understand the desire of some to rather have a "relationship" with a 2D character, who you can create to be perfect for you, will never die, cheat, etc. Apparently, these VR singers are becoming a really big deal in Japan, and for some the lines between reality and VR are starting to blur, scary stuff!

The one statistic in the article that stood out was this: " While in 1980, only one in 50 men had never married by the age of 50, that figure is now one in four.". That's crazy, Japan already has a problem of a rapidly aging population, rapidly declining birthrate, very little immigration, it's almost to the point where there won't be enough young people to actually work and keep the country going. And now with so many young people over there giving up on real relationships, it will get even worse.
Old 12-29-18, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 12-29-18, 01:08 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
The one statistic in the article that stood out was this: " While in 1980, only one in 50 men had never married by the age of 50, that figure is now one in four.". That's crazy, Japan already has a problem of a rapidly aging population, rapidly declining birthrate, very little immigration, it's almost to the point where there won't be enough young people to actually work and keep the country going. And now with so many young people over there giving up on real relationships, it will get even worse.
This was my first thought as well. We now know why the Japanese birth rate is declining so fast. They are not interested in real people anymore.
Old 12-29-18, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Biggest bummer is when she leaves him, she'll still get everything.
Old 12-29-18, 01:36 PM

This is interesting:

http://theconversation.com/as-japan-...ing-line-96636
Old 12-29-18, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 12-29-18, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A podcast I listened to covered this story a while back. Definitely weird, but not a lot weirder than the chick from Florida who married Tetris. People are strange.
Old 12-29-18, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
Thanks for posting that, it was interesting. I wasn't aware of this part:

Divorced Japanese women with children are extremely vulnerable. Nearly 90% of single (divorced) mothers are in the labour force, of which 61% live in poverty.

Although the vast majority of these women work, and typically for more hours per week than their married counterparts, they tend to have lower earning levels than married women. In fact, Japan has the highest rate of single mother poverty in the developed world.
Some towns in Japan has experimented with paying parents to have kids in order to try and fix the looming disaster, but it really needs to be strongly implemented on a federal level, kind of like the monthly child benefits that parents get here in Canada. There are many reasons why the Japanese are having less kids, but financial reasons is one of them, and their government needs to try to help at least that aspect now before it's too late.
Old 12-29-18, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

first gays, now this
what's next? marrying my cat?
Old 12-29-18, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
what's next? marrying my cat?
In Japan this is allowed as long as the cat is anthropomorphic. And preferably looks like a Pokemon.
Old 12-29-18, 03:35 PM

Cats don't want to cuddle and share their feelings. Cats over women for the win.
Old 12-29-18, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, but one really shouldn't bang cats, it's against nature or something. Well, I guess it's ok if it is a virtual cat.
Old 12-29-18, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Old 12-29-18, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
Cats don't want to cuddle and share their feelings. Cats over women for the win.
My cat cuddles and shares his feelings by pissing on the floor.
Old 12-29-18, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Japan is going to implode on itself, while China and India sre poised to "take over the world." Funny how these things go, but the Japanese people are much more industrious and hardworking, and it's going to be a sad spectacle to see the decline.
Old 12-29-18, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, it will be sad to see. It's funny, at one point my wife and I were seriously thinking of moving to Japan after retirement, my father-in-law has property there and everything, but now between this and worsening seismic activity over there recently, it doesn't seem like a very desirable choice anymore.
Old 12-29-18, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Post #15? Yíall are slipping.
Old 12-29-18, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Right on both counts.

This thing seems to be getting more common in Japanese culture. My wife's boss (he's Japanese living in Canada) is married to a real woman and has real kids, but his hobby is creating a virtual reality singer, and he says he does understand the desire of some to rather have a "relationship" with a 2D character, who you can create to be perfect for you, will never die, cheat, etc. Apparently, these VR singers are becoming a really big deal in Japan, and for some the lines between reality and VR are starting to blur, scary stuff!

Iíll add to that that virtually everything that Japan was in the 1980s is where we are at now. This is where we will be in 30 years.
Old 12-29-18, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Iíll add to that that virtually everything that Japan was in the 1980s is where we are at now. This is where we will be in 30 years.
Yeah, especially if we keep restricting immigration. Japan is now finally passing a law to allow more immigration for work purposes, which is a huge deal in such a xenophobic country. But they now realize the shit they will be in, so they don't have much choice.
Old 12-29-18, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fear not sweet ladies of Japan! Do not cry. This dick is ready for you all. Come to poppa.
Old 12-29-18, 09:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
Fear not sweet ladies of Japan! Do not cry. This dick is ready for you all. Come to poppa.
Spread your ass cheeks for me and I'll lean in and inhale your hot shitlips.
Old 12-29-18, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Man marries computer-generated hologram
Akihiko Kondo's mother refused an invitation to her only son's wedding in Tokyo this month
I knew this was going to be Japan when I read the thread title.
Old 12-29-18, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Challenge Pissi View Post
Spread your ass cheeks for me and I'll lean in and inhale your hot shitlips.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.