Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Virgin Pulse

Old 10-25-18, 01:14 AM

Virgin Pulse

Do any other otters have virgin pulse where they work? We just started it and I thought it might be fun to start a DVDTalk group on VP and we can discuss/share success stories in this thread.

https://www.virginpulse.com/ for those that are interested. I think it has to be a company-sponsored thing to use though.
Old 10-25-18, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Virgin Pulse

What if one is a necrophiliac who prefers virgins without a pulse? Asking for a friend.
Old 10-25-18, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have no success stories to discuss or share.
Old 10-25-18, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A quick glance at the website makes my skin crawl.

It looks like the kind of thing companies adopt and people get forced to use, but all hate it.
Old 10-25-18, 02:21 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am intrigued by their tag line "Engaged Employees. Happy Clients."
Old 10-25-18, 03:01 PM

Actually, alot of the employees seem to like it so far. No information is shared with the employer except total points earned and only that because we receive cash bonuses based on points every 90 days. It is a get healthy program but it does not affect our insurance. No one is forced to do anything and about half my group has chosen not to participate
Mostly we just create challenges for each other to do. Mostly.

eXcentris, If "your friend" can find a virgin with or without a pulse I say go for it. Just wear your pedometer so you get credit. Oops, I meant to make sure "your friend" does.
Old 10-25-18, 03:52 PM

Oh! Yes, I love VirginPulse! We use it through work and I've earned a few hundred bucks from daily walking and check-ins and a few team events the past couple years. It used to be my wife got to use it even though she wasn't on my insurance and she earned every single dollar, every single time, for four years. It became her personal source of fun money. Unfortunately, my insurance changed in January so she's unable to do it anymore, though I've picked up my use and earned every dollar one can in 2018. It's been sweet!

Simple, inspiring, and a fun thing to connect with coworkers about. I'm a big believer in the quantified self movement and I pretty much track everything so to make some money off this is even better.
Old 10-25-18, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

The cynic in me suspects this will be a way for corporate offices to force white collar salary workers to optomize their efficiency like McDonalds employees. Tracking every movement.

Question. Is it water proof? If you swim to work out does it count that activity?
Old 10-25-18, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Virgin Pulse. Yeah with that name alone, that'll create an awesome workplace environment.
Old 10-25-18, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
The cynic in me suspects this will be a way for corporate offices to force white collar salary workers to optomize their efficiency like McDonalds employees. Tracking every movement.

Question. Is it water proof? If you swim to work out does it count that activity?
Yep, that's not how it is being used, *yet*, but it will be soon. Accordingly, I'd stay far away, and not participate, as the information collected may be used in 1001 ways tha you never dreamed of. Even so, "efficiency" programs like this are going to be the wave of the future for white collar workers. Quite a bit too 1984ish for my liking.
Old 10-25-18, 05:19 PM

For swimming or other exercise, you enter it in and track those, if you like.

You track what you want to track, nothing is reported to the company except big picture stuff that answers, "Are people using this so it's worth us paying for it?" Track your goals, earl some points, hit the money points, transfer it to your bank account. For our company, you can earn up to $45 per quarter, plus special events for $100-$150 every once in a while. The work it takes is 60 seconds a day, tops. Worth it.
Old 10-25-18, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In the long run you are selling them data that will be used to enslave us. And they’re buying it CHEAP.

And it’s not waterproof!
Old 10-25-18, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay nevermind. Thought this was about something completely different.
Old 10-25-18, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Does the term “pedometer” bother anybody else? It sounds like you are measuring how big of a pedophile somebody is.

(Now it is about something else.)
Old 10-26-18, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I’ve always been bothered by the use of the word Virgin as the name of a company. And this goes way back. I first heard of it when it was just a record label. Over in the import bin would be like early Simple Minds CDs and the packaging would have “Virgin” slathered all over it. To me that word seemed a little taboo to just throw all over the place. I understood it was a record label, but to me the name was a distraction.
Old 10-26-18, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I’ve always been bothered by the use of the word Virgin as the name of a company. And this goes way back. I first heard of it when it was just a record label. Over in the import bin would be like early Simple Minds CDs and the packaging would have “Virgin” slathered all over it. To me that word seemed a little taboo to just throw all over the place. I understood it was a record label, but to me the name was a distraction.
Fetish much?
Old 10-26-18, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Don’t judge me. It’s not my record label. I’m just a consumer.
Old 10-26-18, 02:53 PM

Virgin Pulse is that virgin by the way. Virgin records, Virgin airlines all the same guy.Richard Branson.
They tested signing people up and letting the companies view the individual results. Less than 40% of works would sign up. They switched to not allowing companies to see anything but total points accumulated and found a much higher percentage signed up.No Steps, Not Workout Minutes, nothing else is shared as per the terms of agreement. They are not facebook, I trust them more. However, I am sure the track overall usage and sell that information, but not an individual and not tied to your name so you get targeted ads or anything. No GPS in the Virgin Pulse Maxx tracker so they can't even tell if I am at work or not.
Virgin makes money from the company, but also by the individual user who purchases trackers and accessories. They want as many users per company as possible.
Old 10-26-18, 03:11 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
I am intrigued by their tag line "Engaged Employees. Happy Clients."
So...employees have to get engaged to clients? And that makes the clients happy? Virgin Pulse is human trafficking!
Old 10-26-18, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wait you have to buy the tracker? Or does the company buy it for you?
Old 10-26-18, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Whole thing sounds pretty frigging lame to me.
Old 10-26-18, 04:08 PM

You can use your own tracker (I've used my FitBit One and my Samsung Gear S2 at different points) or use their tracker. My work gave me one of their trackers for free.

Honestly, I'm surprised people aren't more down on this but maybe it was made for me. I already track all my stuff - my calories, steps, workouts, mood, habits, sleep, time, etc. - and now I get paid to do it. Every 90 days I get an extra $40 for keeping track of my healthy goals. Every year I get an extra $150 for doing a wellness screening and another $150 for their point system. That's $420 per year in my pocket to track what I already track. I get to improve my healthy habits and get paid to do it. My data is safe, my company is happy for me, and I'm making enough money to cover nearly half deductible for the entire year. Or, a lot of Doritos. Whatever. The point is, it's great!
Old 10-26-18, 04:42 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Does the term “pedometer” bother anybody else? It sounds like you are measuring how big of a pedophile somebody is.
Only you.

Dare to say it.
Old 10-26-18, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

(Now it is about something else.)
What about pediatricians, what are those creeps up to?
Old 10-26-18, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Meh... everybody knows pedometers don't work on dead virgins.

(not to mention you've got 40 y/o ones, my friend saw the movie)

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.